• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OOC: Speaking of which, what's the word on my proposed marriage? I have a dashing young Prince Imperial who needs a wife.

OOC: I'll get to that shortly. I just need a couple minutes to write acceptance letter.

To His Imperial Majesty Napoléon IV,

It can be difficult for a father to accept that his only daughter has in fact, begun to mature as a woman and is faced with her departure. Especially in such trying times, the arrangement of marriage can be overlooked and put aside. But I feel that it is important to safeguard one's own family and always look out for their well-being and happiness. That is what I desire for Victoria Louise. Though my youngest child, she brings her mother and I great joy and know that she will be an exceptional match for your son, Prince Louis Alfonse. I trust that she will be treated as a woman should and that she be given all the courtesies possible befitting a princess.

It is out of no slight to yourself or your lineage, that Victoria of course renounce any claim to the House of Hohenzollern upon the declaration of this union.

I would seek to make one request, in that the event be held on continental Europe when she comes of age. She has never seen our homeland. I want her to see the glory and splendour that has become a mere memory for me.

I accept your offer and wait your reply.

Signed,

Kaiser Friedrich Wilhelm Viktor Albrecht von Preußen

200px-Wilhelm_II%2C_German_Emperor_Signature-.svg.png

OOC: I can hear the crickets chirping. Anyways, today is the last day for the next week or so that I can post. I'm sure that somewhere in between, the turn results are going to be posted, but if its possible to hold off for the NEXT turn deadline, that would be great. I'm back on the 18th of March.

OOC: I can hear the crickets chirping. Anyways, today is the last day for the next week or so that I can post. I'm sure that somewhere in between, the turn results are going to be posted, but if its possible to hold off for the NEXT turn deadline, that would be great. I'm back on the 18th of March.

We're all waiting on GBIT to complete the turn. I certainly don't mind waiting, to the second point. It would most likely be that long at this rate anyway. I think GBIT, like many of us, is swamped with work.

We're all waiting on GBIT to complete the turn. I certainly don't mind waiting, to the second point. It would most likely be that long at this rate anyway. I think GBIT, like many of us, is swamped with work.

OOC: Also, I just got a fancy new gaming laptop and have been enjoying playing modern games at the speeds they were intended. Or playing them at all, in the case of CK2 and From Dust.

But if anyone asks, I've been busy pounding the pavement looking for a new job.

OOC: Im still waiting on having time to compose some rp posts :(

Hopefully tomorrow evening or Saturday morning.

I've received multiple requests/suggestions from players that we move to a fixed, weekly update schedule. Given we're beyond the early stages of the game with no diplomacy and RP is difficult to squeeze into a short time, I'm maybe inclined to agree.

Thoughts on moving updates to every Sunday?

OOC: I doubt that would be a problem, at least personally.

OOC: Between my job and my wife, who is not particularly moved by the plea that 'The Empire needs me!", I find it very difficult to post during the week and already end up doing all of my diplomacy/RP on the week-end. This would be most welcome, and ensure that I always get my moves in on time.

Ooc: fine as wine for the weekend, over here.

Sure. Update this Sunday then?

maybe wait for this turn to process before starting that? It's already been quite a while.

Last edited:
OOC: I don't know, my work and home life scheduling has worked out fine thus far. I can't always count on it. I'm more than happy with one turn per week. Sometimes it may seem too long, others too soon. I'll see you gents on the 18th when I'm back. GBIT, if you can give me at least until the end of Sunday the 18th to post orders, I'd appreciate it. The girlfriend won't understand my first priorirty upon coming home being the need to tend to the Kaiserreich.

San Francisco Earthquake
And Ensuing Economic Panic

800px-Post-and-Grant-Avenue.-Look.jpg

Aftermath of the earthquake

The following is an article published by The Mormon Tribune in 1907:

San Francisco Leveled by God!

The Pearl of California was struck by a awful quake earlier this week, which has destroyed most of the buildings and the city’s populace mostly homeless and destitute.

Early in the morning on April 18th, a massive rumbling took hold of the city and did not cease until most of the city was collapsed on itself. A massive inferno then took hold, ravaging the remainder and hampering rescue efforts.

City officials are downplaying casualties, but Mormon aid workers in the area have reported there must be thousands of deaths. Federal officials are blaming the horrifying outcome on the city’s decline and lack of property upkeep and inspections while under self-rule after the Fall. There is even talk by many of abandoning the city and moving elsewhere.

Religious volunteers have rushed to the city to provide aid and baptize the dead. The rest of us can only pray for the souls of the dead and the rising fortune of the living.

We close with the note that surely there is no coincidence that San Francisco the largest city left in America with such a tiny population of Mormons, nor that the greatest numbers of casualties were among papist Mexicans and heathen Chinese. Those who remain not enveloped in the Church should take note.

Later that year, the following article was posted by The Democratic Statesman in Texas:

Panic Spreads as another Bank folds!

Panic is spreading even more quickly as another bank folds under a run by depositors.

The Texas Commerce Bank, which had invested heavily in stock involving the Trans-Rockies trade between Texas and California, admitted two days ago that it had lost an enormous quantity of money due to the collapse of the Californian economy in the wake of the San Francisco earthquake.

This terrible news from the largest bank in Texas has spurred an enormous run on the bank. Faith in the banks is at an all time low. Recovery is no-where in sight. Credit was already tight, and now with the inevitable collapse of the banking system, it will all but disappear.

The young stock market in Salt Lake City has fallen into yet another slump at the news. The market keeps unstable…no sooner are there signs of new life in evidence than something like another collapsing bank or setback in California send a tremble all through the economy, and any gain in values and hope is gone.

With most of the banking institutions of the territories being young and unequipped to handle such a crisis, who can tell when we shall see relief? While perhaps the elders among us were not sad to see the bankers and financiers of the glamorous East die in the Fall, such expertise in matters financial and economic are sorely lacking here in the West.

454px-1907_Panic.png

Chaos in the streets of Salt Lake as another bank fails

A Silver Standard! Monetary Reform
Roosevelt Sidelined; Threatens Political Revenge

4NavH.jpg

Roosevelt: "I don't care if it cures them, it makes me and my friends sick!"

The following is an article published by The Mormon Tribune in 1908:

Free Silver Remedy Passes the Congress

The Territorial government has finally passed the Bimetallism and Fiscal Stability Act, which is aimed at bringing the country out of the economic doldrums it has suffered since early 1907.

It is clear that the economy’s failures have been due to the unavailability of money. When the government re-established a national currency, naturally it returned to the gold standard; such was the insistence of northeastern refugees such as Premier Roosevelt at the time.

However, attempts to rebuild a financial machine to match the old Eastern system have failed. Is there little wonder why? Such a standard might be suited to robber-barons and industrial kings, but our country lacks such demons. The gold standard only served the aim of a few to emulate the old, corrupt, gilded wealth of a bygone era, a wasted network. The vast majority of us, either simple in occupation or rendered penniless by the Fall, stood nothing to gain.

Naturally the time has come to implement a more logical currency. Silver is the obvious choice.

Premier Roosevelt attempted to block the reform, insisting on the retention of “sound money.” But it is little secret that many of the Northeasterners who survived the Fall went on to set up banks in our Territories, and many of them are friends of Roosevelt. It is little surprise that when the Quorum initiated the reform, the Congress passed it very quickly despite Roosevelt’s bullying roar.

Congress, however, is not inclined to replace Roosevelt as Premier. Instead, the provisions and powers of the Act will be implemented by the Office of the President and the Board of Trade. While Roosevelt has not resigned his post over the affair, he is eyeing the upcoming elections. He threatens to campaign heavily to have all congressmen who voted for the Act replaced, insisting that the economic stagnation we face now will lead to complete doom in the near future.

This, of course, is hogwash. For our opinion on why Roosevelt is engaging in this tirade, see our cartoon section.

KlFpN.jpg

Roosevelt Sicks the Grizzly Bears of Greed and Megalomania on the Territorial Government

Wise observers might note that the entirety of the silver output of the renovated Colorado and Nevada mines are controlled by Zion’s Board of Trade.

To His Imperial Majesty Napoléon IV,

It can be difficult for a father to accept that his only daughter has in fact, begun to mature as a woman and is faced with her departure. Especially in such trying times, the arrangement of marriage can be overlooked and put aside. But I feel that it is important to safeguard one's own family and always look out for their well-being and happiness. That is what I desire for Victoria Louise. Though my youngest child, she brings her mother and I great joy and know that she will be an exceptional match for your son, Prince Louis Alfonse. I trust that she will be treated as a woman should and that she be given all the courtesies possible befitting a princess.

It is out of no slight to yourself or your lineage, that Victoria of course renounce any claim to the House of Hohenzollern upon the declaration of this union.

I would seek to make one request, in that the event be held on continental Europe when she comes of age. She has never seen our homeland. I want her to see the glory and splendour that has become a mere memory for me.

I accept your offer and wait your reply.

Signed,

Kaiser Friedrich Wilhelm Viktor Albrecht von Preußen

200px-Wilhelm_II%2C_German_Emperor_Signature-.svg.png

Dear Kaiser Wilhelm,
Your terms are entirely reasonable. The wedding can take place in Spain or Italy. If all goes perfectly, Marseille might be partially rebult in time but not likely to be fit for such an occasion.

Last edited:
...silver standard...

OOC: I love your posts. You seem to hit on everything pertinent to the period, just as how the Populists would have probably gotten more power if Utah took control as yours did, leading to a silver standard. As we are currently playing in the period of history my class is studying, I find this refreshing.