• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OOC: As I have had my final questions answered:

Construct 4 armies, and invade the province to my north (looks like...Yamalia?).

From the diary of Grigori Rasputin:

On a beautiful day, the Caspian Sea is a surreal gem. Today, alas, was not a beautiful day. Surely the clouds were signs of the ones filling my head. There is too much to do, in too little time.

I told those thick Ruriks that Astrakhan, or Nova Roma as it was re-christened, is a poor place for a capital. The past century has not been kind. Just when these people were picking themselves up from an especially horrid outbreak of Cholera, the Fall wipes out two thirds of the population. Admittedly, the flux of refugees filled those spaces readily enough, but there was nothing else for those refugees. A roof is worthless if there is no work to feed those beneath it. The ports are dry nine months out of the year, and even when shippers dare enter the land of the Russians they bear meager supply. Farming is being started, and industry is being awakened. But this is too great a task for one man to grapple, especially with is rightful Czar occupied with running a war. Perhaps two, if I count the girl, but that is besides the point.

The Russian Empire has three times the land and four times the population of Nova Roma. The only thing keeping them back from overrunning us is the waste of resources it would be. A wasp does not bother a bear when the bear is prowling. And yet, that is exactly what we try to do. The border is ever shifting, and men lose their lives for nothing. No advantage is gained from holding a barren strip of land. Why not withdraw to the usable land, shorten supply trains, and fight a war that has meaning to other bodies than Righteousness.

But Ruriks are proud. As befits a line of kings, I suppose. The fact only further proves the divine right of the Ruriks, and the poisoned rule of the Romanovs. For no true king would allow his heir and favorite daughter to be taken, and not do everything in his power to get them back. But perhaps, in the Lord's infinite grace, somewhere in his poisoned soul Nicolae knows they do not wish to be with him. That he recognizes the righteousness of their being free.

It was no easy task getting the youngest Romanovs away from the Imperial forces. They wished to be gone well enough, but that demon spawn would not ever stand seeing his children be true to the Lord. It is a proper upbringing the two nobles deserved, craven father or no. They are of age now, and surely they are in the light, no matter how dim it appears to be these days. And truly, there isn't even a candle-shop in Astrakhan right now. The only truly skilled workers go to the Foreign Ghetto of Bukhara, to learn from the travelers. The economy, oh the economy...But the Lord must provide.

It is interesting to note that the common man does not recognize power when it attempts to conceal itself. Walking through the streets of Samarkand, Lenin found himself a ghost among men. Even less, in fact, being that a ghastly apparition would cause quite the stir. He was, in essence, a nothing. And that was exactly what the man wished to be.

A police force with the resources of a lesser nations' military should be able to maintain order. And yet this is not always the case; spies and smarts always seem to find their way into the city undetected. The damnable Ruriks had enough Russians to spare a few for reconnaissance, and any man mad enough to try and slip into the city undetected had to have enough intellectual in him to not be made within minutes. A spy could sell fruit, but an un-papered man was as good as dead. The police did, after all, have the resources of a military.

But this does not explain why the head of the Okhrana was stalking the streets on a moonless night. The truth, in truth, was quite boorishly simple: a smart spy requires a smart hunter. A good gate guard may have arms as thick as trunks, but his skull is just as much so. No; this was a job for real power.

Rounding a corner, Lenin-or simply Vlad as he called himself that night-reached into his coat.

"No! There shall be no relenting!"
"But your highness, there are simply not enough troops on the border to maintain every position, with three quarters of our force up north!" How idiotic kings could be. Did he not recognize that a general must plan according to the facts, and not his wishes?
"It is not a border! And there are. Enough. Men!" The Czar was understandably angry, for his nation did not seem to be able to accommodate his plans; General Annenkov certainly wasn't helping. And the ever-present weight of his heir's disappearance with that monk pulled taught against his heart.
"Yes, sir. Of course, sir. I shall see what I can do." Sometimes, the only resource a man can have is his obedient word. Burn in hell, you crazed Chernoman.
"That's better. Now, where is my secretary? I have need of my Armsmaster. A real man. He always does what Chernobog's representative asks. You should take lessons." Maybe that would take a few from the stiff across the table. He only lives as long as his sword takes land in my name; perhaps Bellavin's Chernobog would have a place for it next to him when he dies.
"I find him at your command, my lord." At that, Annenkov withdrew from the session. A bow is a bow. And he is your Czar. It was right and just...so why does it feel like I just ate a bug? Maybe those German pretenders have something to them. But of course, this could never be true.

Mikhail didn't know where he was going to go. Anastasia must be in the parlor, but Rasputin would be in the study. He couldn't face the trouble either would bring. And his room would never be cleaned if he scared the maids out with an early retirement that day. Perhaps Alexei could use a companion for his stroll through the city. Rasputin's remedies could only fix the royal disease so much, and a bit of hidden steel might offer some protection. The plan must have been divinely inspired, for who did he see there coming up the steps?
"Alexei! Let's go for a walk, shall we?" Mikhail always carried a blade with him, there was no need to go inside for anything.
"I'm afraid I'm just about to eat. Care to join?" For such a scrawny man, he certainly ate a lot. Perhaps his medicines stole from his soul, leaving him in dire need of nourishment. Quite the price to pay. But an apple pie certainly sounded good...what could it hurt?

An hour later, Mikhail reclined on a simple wooden chair. There would be no dining room finery this meal; the kitchen was still too close to the main house to ease him completely, but there was nothing to be done. With nothing else to do- Alexei was using the john- Mikhail turned his thoughts to the war. What a subject for a full stomach. No, better to consider life and death after a good walk. And perhaps Anastasia would be more relaxed, and he could actually talk without feeling stupid in her piercing gaze. Yes, that would do. That would do just fine.

OOC: A Chernoman is a follower of Chernobog. I didn't feel like typing that out every time. Also, I hope you all enjoy the variety of writing styles I employ for each story arc. It gets boring writing in the same form every minute. These four introductions should give some measure of what I will be doing, although I may throw in a newspaper every once in a while.

Last edited:
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? ... Wait, what's a plane?

George Girran sits in the tower of a ruined hilltop church, peering out into the morning fog. The young man is for the most part a shepherd, but like most in Lebanon he is forced to take up arms from time to time. He is on watch for signs of the long feared invasion by the self appointed Emperor of Damascus, a former Ottoman pasha turned tribal warlord. Rumours have been spreading like wildfire through the hills, telling of sightings of parties of well armed horsemen moving through the land. Nothing new of course, with the population subjected to constant raids and skirmishes there seems to be an invasion scare almost monthly. But George's gut tells him this is time is different. Below, in the main building of the church, he hears his horse shifting nervously - perhaps she shares his feelings?

The rising sun begins to burn off the mist, and in the distance there is a glimmer of sunlight reflected on metal. The colour is wrong for steel, looking far more like the brass of an artillery piece. A nervous moment, is this the invasion people have feared so long? And then it comes, breaking out of the mist, a huge golden cross in the orthodox style. Marching after it come a column of uniformed soldiers, an awe inspiring sight for a man who has never seen regular soldiers, and never more than a few dozen of the irregulars he is used too. The Byzantines have finally come, after years of messages and pleas, they are finally here! George swings down from the tower, and within a minute he is away, racing to spread the news of what he has seen.

Soon, a new story will be spreading through the region, but this time it will be true.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? ... Wait, what's a plane?

OOC: Oh, you'll find out. Bwahahahaha!

British-Class-4-Battleship_Preview.jpg

OOC: When your aethership defects to the Royal Navy? :p

TURN SIX - 1905

peshawarturn1905.png

Military News fresh from the Wire:

Japan vs Indochina:

6 Armies vs 4 Native Armies

8 10 Native victory (Japanese army destroyed!)
10 7 Japanese victory
1 8 Native victory
7 9 Native victory
7 4 Japanese victory
7 3 Japanese victory
10 6 Japanese victory

Japan conquers Indochina!
Casualties: One Army for Japan.

British Raj vs Egypt:

5 Armies (Tier II) vs 5 Native Armies

8 2 British victory
4 10 Native victory
3 4 Native victory
6 9 Native victory
11 2 British victory
5 3 British victory
10 2 British victory
11 4 British victory

British Raj conquers Egypt!
No casualties.

United Territories vs Central Mexico:

5 Armies (Tier II) vs 4 Native Armies

2 5 Native victory
8 3 United Territories victory
6 3 United Territories victory
3 8 Native victory
9 2 United Territories victory
4 6 Native victory (United Territories army destroyed!)
5 10 Native victory (United Territories army destroyed!)
11 7 United Territories victory

United Territories conquers Central Mexico!
Casualties: Two Armies for United Territories.

Confederates vs Caribbean:

5 Armies vs 2 Native Armies

4 7 Native victory
9 9 Draw
1 5 Native victory
2 1 Confederate victory
3 6 Native victory
6 2 Confederate victory

Confederates conquer Caribbean!
No casualties.

France-Outre-Mer vs Italy:

5 Armies vs 3 Native Armies

1 10 Native victory
5 3 French victory
9 7 French victory
5 1 French victory

France-Outre-Mer conquers Italy!
No casualties.

Byzantium vs Levant:

8 Armies vs 6 Native Armies

4 8 Native victory
9 8 Byzantine victory
6 9 Native victory
4 9 Native victory
4 4 Draw
1 5 Native victory
7 3 Byzantine victory
8 6 Byzantine victory
4 8 Native victory
8 6 Byzantine victory
1 7 Native victory
7 7 Draw
2 10 Native victory
5 4 Byzantine victory
8 10 Native victory (Byzantine army destroyed!)

Natives repulse invasion!
Casualties: One Army for Byzantium.

German East Africa vs Congo:

5 Armies vs 5 Native Armies

3 6 Native victory (German army destroyed!)
4 9 Native victory (German army destroyed!)
9 9 Draw
1 4 Native victory (German army destroyed!)
2 1 German victory
9 10 Native victory
4 3 German victory
8 9 Native victory (German army destroyed!)

Natives repulse invasion!
Casualties: Four Armies for German East Africa.

Falklands vs Gran Chaco:

5 Armies vs 5 Native Armies

7 6 Falklander victory
9 3 Falklander victory
10 6 Falklander victory
7 6 Falklander victory
8 8 Draw
9 10 Native victory
5 2 Falklander victory

Falklands conquer Gran Chaco!
No casualties.

Russia vs Krasnoyarsk:

6 Armies vs 4 Native Armies

8 10 Native victory
7 4 Russian victory
6 5 Russian victory
7 2 Russian victory
3 8 Native victory (Russian army destroyed!)
5 8 Native victory
9 1 Russian victory

Russia conquers Krasnoyarsk!
Casualties: One Army for Russia.

United Territories diploannexes Pacific Islands.

German East Africa diploannexes South Africa.

Ok, the Congo is scary and cursed. I don't know what the chances of rolling 5d4 and getting four 1s are, but I think that, in combination with Byzantium's really hard fought loss, should show everyone that nothing is a 'sure thing'...

You actually attacked with the most armies any player has ever been able to muster! You must have done something to piss off the dice gods. :eek:hmy:

And yes, any nation can invade the Wasteland. It's just more difficult to conquer than white territories.

OOC: Could be worse, at least I have most of my armies still and can try again. Poor Germans.

OOC: Wow, awesome luck for me though. Italy conquered without loss, and suprise losses by two potential rivals.

Oh, and the image is from

http://monstersinthesky.com/

I know nothing about said site though.

Last edited:
OOC: I see.

Le Temps Nouveau
Airfleet Christened

l64.jpg

The HIMAS Egalité

As part of the celebrations of his silver jubilee, HIM Napoleon IV presided over the christening of the last of the new Airfleet's three cruisers. The HIMAS Egalité will join her sister ships HIMAS Liberté and HIMAS Fraternité on a shakedown cruise from Tunis to Palermo, before being deployed for combat.

Princess Imperial Marie Isabella did the honor of christening the vessel by shattering a pitcher of milk on the gondola. Owing to both the religious sensibilities of the vessel's Muslim crew members and the scarcity of quality wine, fresh milk was employed. When questioned as to this deviation from naval tradition, HIM stated that "there are no traditions for the Airfleet yet."

Serving aboard the Egalité will be Prince Imperial Louis Alfonso Napoleon. Newly graduated from the École spéciale militaire, Lt Bonaparte will be serving in the engineering section in an undisclosed capacity. Though some have objected to the heir to the Empire serving in such a potentially dangerous capacity, HIM pointed out that at near his son's age he had already taken control of the exodus from Old France.

OOC:Spend 5 IP to finish my first air fleet. Tremble world! France Rules the Air

BTW, I know "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" was not the motto under the Napoleons, and in fact it was a somewhat seditious slogan to say publicly. But Napoleon IV adopted (or co-opted, depending on your point of view) many republican symbols to promote a sense of continuity between Republic and Empire. This includes the motto, the Tricolor, and "la Marseilles".

Edit: Oh, and if someone can translate "Tremble world, we rule the air!" into French, that'd be awesome for me to use as the motto for the Imperial Aeronautic Corps. Latin would also be good.

Polar Mongoose said:
Do these games usually end in everyone killing each other?

OOC: Last one ended due to GM being worked to death, IIRC.

Theoretically allied victory is possible. So it's not quite a highlander "There can be only one!" situation.

Le Temps Nouveau

Canal Company Stock Offering a Wild Success

Los0332.jpg

The first public sale of shares for the Imperial Suez Canal Company has sold out entirely. In less than 24 hours, millions of Francs have been raised for the effort to restore this great product of French ingenuity. In virtually every corner of France and Spain, and even in some parts of Italy, citizens of every rank have flocked to buy a piece of the Canal.

The offering marks more than a milestone in the Canal restoration effort. The public offering is also the greatest undertaking that the Algiers-based Imperial Stock Exchange has ever attempted. Its success is a major vote of confidence for the Empire's fledgling financial system. The Imperial Family and Pope Benedict XV are among those rumored to have purchased large blocks of stock.

Spend 5 CP and 1 IP on France's share of the canal (11/16)

Edit: Assuming I get that many CP

Le Temps Nouveau

Nous Reviendrons!

An expedition has been launched to retake the city of Marseilles. The Emperor described this momentous operation as the first step in "the great work of our times, the reconstruction of French civilization in its native land." Fittingly, the object of the first campaign is Marseille, the last city of Old France to fall into darkness.

The Grand Expedition draws on the Empire's full strength. Hardened veterans of the Italian campaign, led by newly promoted Marshal Foch, will establish a safe haven around the ruined city, with Franco-Spanish naval forces resupplying them by sea. The Air Fleet will see its first deployment, serving in reconnaissance, transport and direct combat support roles.

foch.jpg

Marshal Foch, supreme commander of the Grand Expedition

Pope Benedict XV has called for volunteers to serve as missionaries to the bands of survivors in the ruins of northern Europe, and several private philanthropic societies have emerged to support the recolonization effort. But in all likelihood the first wave of settlers in mainland France will be veterans receiving their land grants for their service.

According to some sources within the Army, some of the neo-savages may even be recruited into the Foreign Legion in an effort to recivlize them. This proposal remains controversial among senior officers.

Attack Southern France with 5 armies and 1 air fleet.

Last edited:
Izvestia Russkie Ljudi

The all-too-rarely seen discourse has been sent from the office of the Czar today, outlining plans for the advancement of the Russian people. It contained the following map:

This is the current realm of the Russian Empire. Although only those regions under Imperial or Military control are de facto regions of the empire, Russia claims de jure rule over these lands. As much as it might pain some people, these claims are not falsehoods; they are the rightful lands of any Russian Monarch, according to land claims of old. Any attempts to enter these lands will most likely be met with fierce opposition by the Russian people, and shall be seen as grave insults.

The Emperor, briefing his cabinet on this recognition of claims, as well as outlining his plans to take power over them not only in name, allowed a journalist to observe for an official report in the newspaper. Although the spittle expected to be produced from the Okhrana will surely be heavily dramatized, the Izvestia only tells the news as it truly is. As such, one may take from the official report, if one looks through all the glamour, that the entire military might of the Russian people- nay, of the emperor- shall be directed towards conquering the central Siberian plateau to the East of the current lands under his control. This is not expected to affect the status quo of Nova Roma, in regards to its eternal foes the Chernomen.

As always, I personally implore you, the reader, to not bring to light the existence of this paper. If the Okhrana were to find us...think of your children. What would happen if you were found with this paper? Obviously, you are a true man to even dare read this. So you must understand the risks, and the rewards, of this publication's continuing existence. I hope you found this news enlightening, and shall find the next installments' just as much so.

Last edited:
Untitled-3.png

Calamity in Central Africa

Enthusiasm for the fresh offensive west into the Congo had been ongoing for several weeks and enthusiasm still buoyed the population. Initially, there were reports from the front that Albertville had been seized from Belgian remnants and at least four armies were continuing their movement farther up river. It was in the beginning of spring in 1903, when the first mass lists of casualties were distributed and family members began receiving notifications. Trains from the western frontier ran into specially designated hospitals or collection points on an almost daily basis. At first the stories were suppressed, however it became harder to deny that something was going very wrong.

Letters from soldiers deployed to the jungles revealed to their loved ones that truly, nothing was out of the ordinary when they first crossed Lake Tanganyika and quickly seized the garrison at Albertville. Minimal losses had been incurred through this action and 1. Armee was left behind to secure the lines of supply and maintain this perimeter. From there, the other elements slowly wound their way north, under dense canopies and through winding rivers, towards Stanleyville, where they believed the natives were occupying.

It has since been referred to by many troops and even their officers, as the 'Curse of Stanleyville.' It would only be fitting that the scene of such dramatic horrors would breed further plight and desperation. Medical officials believe that they can pinpoint the exact moment that the 'Curse' began and it was in rancid drinking water that some exhausted soldiers drank on the banks of the Lualaba River. Within days, at least twenty men were suffering from acute diarrhea. Then it quickly became a hundred. Staff tried to contain the outbreak of what they initially believed was minor poisoning and encouraged the men to try and avoid drinking from the river. As the cases spread however, it was clear that a problem lay all around them. It was already too late when a surgeon diagnosed the first cases of cholera and that was when the deaths began and a near perfect natural deluge occurred. As in most expeditions into Africa, malaria has always been a problem, but with most people suddenly concerned about what they were drinking, precautions against mosquitoes began to worsen. And the passage of several thousand civilian refugees trying to escape further south brought along what was commonly referred to as the 'African lethargy.'

Skirmishes continued with native tribes. Losses from combat were minimal, but the onset of disease was having a massive effect on morale and unit cohesion. Within two months, progress was slowing considerably and a high profile officer, namely the commander of 4. Armee literally lost his life in a soiled field hospital bed, tinged a shade of blue-grey that was associated to cholera. The sick were shipped back as quickly as possible, but in these remote areas, it was hard to accomplish and even more difficult to avoid contact with others. Ambushes by natives on supply and communication lines increased and an entire formation was diverted to quell this threat. The town of Stanleyville and the surrounding region was subdued by the summer, but what followed effectively crippled the fighting force.

Medical staff were strained to the breaking point and the hot, humid weather formed an ideal place for viruses and bacteria to grow and so disease coursed through the ranks like wildfire. Thousands of new cases were reported. Men who had seemed to be suffering from no ill-effects were periolously dehydrated days later. The situation was becoming so dire and combat performance in the offensive virtually ceased. Some regiments saw their effective strength boiled down to the dozens, while more were buried in rudimentary mass graves, burned or sent home on crammed barges.

In a series of correspondence with the Chief of the General Staff, the decision was made by the expedition commander to consolidate their gains and withdraw to Albertville, to take stock of what had occurred. Covering this movement was the remnants of 5. Armee and they suddenly found themselves bracing against tens of thousands of native warriors, who had amassed from near and far. This desperate rear guard action saved many lives, but the beleaguered defenders could not stave off such determined assaults in their current state. A major ambush laid on a flotilla of troop transports in a narrow portion of the river caused havoc and the soldiers on the shores were carved apart by native bands. There were survivors of this action, but they were few.

By the time the expedition was called off, more than three quarters of the effective fighting force that departed Ost-Arika had become casualties. Many were dead and thousands more fighting off terrible sickness in remote parts of the Kaiserreich. The commander of the campaign was summarily relieved by Generalfeldmarschall von Schlieffen. The chief medical staff were questioned and an inquiry into the chaos was started.

Many continue to refer to it simply as 'The Curse.'

krieg4.jpg

A Desperate Battle