• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
thedailytelegraph.jpg

War Resumes!
Skirmish in the North provokes a new campaign against the Dastardly Junta!

Royal%20Scots.jpg

Colonial Army Regiments on the march to the battlefield

The writers and editors of this publication were among the crowd watching in awe on the pavements and gazing from windows as Colonial Army regiments march north through our fair city of Fair Wind, the provincial captial of the Outer Falkands, the location of our central offices, and formerly known by the Argies as 'Buenos Aires'. The Falklander regiments were the first of this great column, naturally. They were resplendent in their red uniforms and white ivory helmets, their black boots finely polished and their rifles cooly laid on their shoulders. They marched with a great of precison and discipline that can only be the result of their birth. The newly raised Argentine regiments followed them. They were somewhat more shabby, though this comes as no surprise. They were dressed in similar clothing to the earlier regiments, although donned with a brown cap or helmet instead of a ivory helm, to differentiate themselves from their Falklander comrades. Though their formation was less trained, and their manner more rough, they certainly seemed more professional than many of the Argentine soliders of the past. The source of this is evidently the stalwart work of their Falklander officers, who have trained and maintaned them to rigirous, proper military standards. 'We've made true men of them over the past months.' said one of the officers, who stopped to answer our questions. 'Yet we must wait to see if their posture is retained when fighting against their old countryman.' Wishing him luck in the battles to come, he returned to his regiment.

This whole business has been set off by a large skirmish that occurred several days ago in the Great Salt Mountains, which form a key part of our Armistice border with the Junta. Junta guerrillas and soldiers launched an attack on a army garrison nestled deep within the hilly countryside surrounding the Mountains. Taken by surprise, the regiments were spilt apart by the shock and speed of the Junta assault, and there were numerous casualties before the army was able to recover, regroup and launch a counter-attack that sent the Junta troops running. Estimates and reports put our dead at around two hundred, with twice that number wounded. This blatant act of aggression that completely broke our armistice with them has naturally led many to call for the Junta's heads.

the-battle.jpg

The garrison valiantly resist jeopardy from the Junta's forces

Yesterday morning, the Governor finally received word of the battle. Reports from inside Government House in Port Stanley stated that 'the governor flew into such a rage in such that several pieces of furniture and crockery were destroyed.' Several hours later, he once more took to the square of Port Stanley to announce the end of the armistice treaty with the Junta; by personally tearing the very treaty itself in twain. He then followed this with a bold declaration of war penned to the Governments of Paraguay and Bolivia, which was latter telegraphed to their respective embassies. He citied constant and 'openly aggressive' support for the Junta through weapons, funds and volunteers. Indeed, he claimed that both nation's governments had been covertly infiltrated by the Junta, so much so that the difference between their states were superficial. In his own words, 'Those Diego bastards are all in league against our Dominion, and we will not tolerate the continued aggression against our Falklander and Argentine citizens.' After his passionate, three hour speech, he stepped down to allow General Garnet Wolseley, Commander-in-Chief of the Falklands Colonial Army, to announce and give detail on a new, bold campaign against the Junta, that plans to utilise the Falkland's greatly expanded manpower (achieved by the Argentine Regiment reforms) to smash the prominent standing armies of our three new enemies.

And so, several hours later, we return to the streets of Fair Wind. Most of the regiments have past now, yet many more, no doubt, will follow them in the coming days. Regiments from across our Dominon are being raised, levied and redeployed to the north from Patagonia and The Falkands, and they will inevitably pass through our city for supplies, information, and the support of our patriotic populace. The return of war has once more lightened the flame of patriotism among us Falklanders, as many eagerly await the final ruination of our grave Junta rivals, and the victory of our Dominon over the Diegos who have resisted our tide of modernisation, progress and civilisation. So, from all of us here at the Daily Telegraph,

God Save our soldiers, God Save the Falklands, and God Save the Queen!

Orders:
Invade the Bolivia-esque province to my north with Five armies

Last edited:
OOC: So that's a no on my "advisers" then. Poo. How many more of my schemes must you shoot down this turn! :p

In that case, my revised orders are to cancel the construction of the two new armies
Instead, invest three additional IP in finishing Airship II, and invest one IP in building the first Imperial Air Fleet

You don't have to attack the neutral territory. It's possible to send in an order to fight the invading army, but do nothing to the natives if you are victorious.

OOC: One more thing, is tech trading allowed? I believe I asked this before but I don't recall ever getting an answer.

Sorry, I must have missed it. This thread is moving fast and getting long! :D

The answer to trading is no, though. Your path should be a strategic choice, especially in the expensive higher tiers.

To Mount Sinai and beyond!

Constantinos I, patriarch of Constantinople and for now at least, regent to the emperor, looks out from his office over the newly restored Hagia Sophia. Adorning an entire wall of the office is a huge map of the Eastern Mediterranean, with the Byzantine Hegemony in a bold purple being the only part of the map in any real detail. The middle east is filled with a patchwork of warlord states, many of them founded by Ottoman generals and governors, all claiming to be legitimate heirs to the Ottoman empire. Ever since the 'liberation' of Constantinople relations between the Turks and their Christian subjects have been on a knife edge, each fresh outburst of violence producing a new wave of refugees whose sufferings are duly reported in the Byzantine press. Some areas have descended into civil war and anarchy, particularly in the Lebanon where the sizeable Christian population, supplied with arms by Greek Byzantine citizens, have held the Ottoman successor states in a stalemate for the past decade.

Frequent requests to the Byzantine parliament for direct intervention have gone unanswered as the great houses fight amongst each other over who will control the imperial household. But no longer shall this be the case, with the Regency declared the Hegemony will once more spring into action. A great crusade shall be launched, restoring peace and with the blessings of God allowing Constantinos to cement the authority of the Church. The Regency wont last forever, and for when it does what could could be a stronger sign of divine power than the conquest of the holy lands?

And for those who don't care about divine support, there is always the opportunity to crush the Ottoman states, who many have not forgiven for their long years of occupation, and who still more hold responsible for the assassination of Julian I.

Last edited:
Paid Advertisment from the Imperial Ministry of Defense

Reach for the Sky!
The Imperial Aeronautic Corps Wants You!

futurist-airship-1910.jpg

His Imperial Majesty's Airship (HIMAS) Liberté, future flagship of the Airfleet

By order of HIS IMPERIAL MAJESTY NAPOLEON IV, the IMPERIAL AERONAUTIC CORPS is now seeking young men of BRAVERY, INTELLECT and GOOD CHARACTER to serve as OFFICERS and CREW in the IMPERIAL AIR FLEET! Defend your country and be a part of this glorious new frontier of modern technology! Opportunities for ADVENTURE, GLORY, and ADVANCEMENT abound!

ENLISTMENT BONUSES to those who qualify, and EXTENSIVE LAND GRANTS for completed tour of duty! Crew positions OPEN TO ALL Imperials citizens and subjects, regardless of race or birth!

APPLY AT YOUR LOCAL RECRUITING OFFICE TODAY!

Last edited:
The Kyoto Express

National Newspaper Established

It has been seen by our Great Shogun that the lack of a national newspaper is causing problems in our nation as it prevents the speedy delivery of news to the nation and as a result of this the Kyoto Express has been established to swiftly give the major news stories from a fairly pro Government Position. This is surely the enlightened that our nation should be progressing. Large numbers of Journalists even now are moving rapidly to the various regions of the Country to enable all the News to be formalised in a central Editing office in Kyoto from which the news will be printed in printing houses in all the provinces of the Japanese Empire and then sold to the people for low prices with all the best news stories with highly unbiased reporting with out even the Slightest hint of a pro-governmental Position taken on a single story.

Shogun Yoshinobu dies

The Kyoto Express is sad to have to announce the Death of the glorious Shogun Yoshinobu has died. He had liberated the Chinese and the Koreans from the infighting which had plagued them since the fall and has led Japan to become a great power. He has been succeed by his adopted son Iesato who is beginning reforms designed to make Japan the best country in the world. Surely he will lead to greatness promised by the Emperor after the Meiji Restoration which was unfortunately Disrupted by the Fall. Soon Japan will be the Best.

Guns and ... more guns!

An ancient shrivelled man sits at a bench in his cluttered workshop. Once upon a time the premier watchmaker to the gentlemen of Vienna, he has now turned his considerable skills to more practical issues. Lying disassembled on the bench before him is a British Matini-Henry rifle, a fellow survivor of The Fall, whose inner workings he carefully examines and sketches.

Many citizens of the Hegemony view French expansion at the western Mediterranean with concern. It is not so long ago that the French fought with the Turks against the Russians on the one hand, while using the other hand to keep the Greek state from freeing the rest of the Greek peoples. And now a series of press articles have been released in which it is claimed the French are developing flying warships, that will be used to shell the people of Constantinople in their beds. Complete nonsense of course, who ever heard of a ship that could fly? Still, parliament has been forced to announce a series of measures to modernise the military. Of chief interest to our ex-watchmaker is the announcement of a 100,000 drachmae reward to the man who develops a reliable method for the mass production of bolt action rifles, and so he, works away.

His concentration is sadly disturbed however by a steady stream of young men passing by, fresh recruits for the Imperial Legions. Most are so young as to have little memory of the Ottoman Empire, some even having been born after the establishment of the Hegemony. Barely a single youth in the Hegemony has grown up without a father, uncle or brother who fought the Ottomans however, and a vast horde of men have flocked to join the new legions to be added to the fight against what is left of the Ottomans.

Orders: Spend 6 IP on recruiting 3 new armies
Spend 2IP on army tech
Take my 8 armies and invade the Levant region (Someone please tell me if that's a stupid idea for some reason)

Last edited:
OOC: no, not stupid at all. You may be getting close to the squabble between the major powers of France ad Britain but don't take Egypt and you should be ok.

Russia

OOC: First thing's first: Where did Sapphire go? Anyone?

OOC: I thought I already posted this, but it is not appearing. If this looks like a double post, then just disregard the previous. I am going to start actively playing as Russia now, as the dust has settled and I have talked to GBIT. I will stay fairly true to the novel, but as I have not read it I will take several liberties. Remember, I am going off the Wikipedia page, as well as some tailoring to my own design. Also, I have changed ages in order for my story to progress. In the future, I may radically change my nation, due to the fact that writing from the perspective of a cannibalistic, Chernobog-worshiping absolute monarchy is not my forte.* Udača!

*Funnily enough, my original plans for California was to have it go from a nearly Utopian free society under Miguel Francisco and his Visible Best to a dictatorship under Miguel Francisco III. Oh well, what could have been.

RUSSIA

Imperial Family Romanov:
Czar Nicolae Alexandrovich Romanov II, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias- 84 (deceased)
Czaritsa Alexandra Feodorovna Romanova, Empress Consort- 45 (deceased)
Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna, firstborn daughter- 25 (40)
Grand Duchess Tatiana Nikolaevna, secondborn daughter- 24 (39)
Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaevna, thirdborn daughter- 23 (38)
Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna, fourthborn daughter (missing)- 22 (37)
Czesarrevich Alexei Nikolaevich. firstborn son and heir apparent (missing)- 21 (36)

Pretender House Rurik:
Mikhail II Rurik, Pretender Emperor- 25 (40)
Vasily Rurik, Brother to Pretender- 24 (39)
Piotr Rurik, Brother to Pretender- 22 (37)
Maria Rurik, Sister to Pretender- 20 (35)
Dmitry Ivanovich, 1st Cousin to Pretender- 31 (46)

Okhrana:
Vladimir Lenin, Chief Minister- 40 (55)
Roman Malinovsky, Minister of the Interior- 34 (49)
Dmitry Bogrov, Minister of Education- 37 (deceased)

Malik Nous:
Tikhon Vasily Bellavin, Patriarch- 60 (75)

Other:
Grigori Rasputin, resistant monk- 31 (46)
Mikhail Annenkov, General of the Russian Army- 58 (73)

Current Map of the recognized domain of Imperial Russia, noted with the region of rebellion.

OOC: Yes, I am claiming that my Russia is in a state of civil war. And yes, I am claiming that the New Roman Empire is there. Didn't Russia see itself as the inheritors of Rome? I thought it suitable, since I have the Slavic/Greek Romanovs vs the Latinized/Germanic Ruriks (more on this story later; I also expect an awesome situation where there are three Roman Empires- the de facto French one in control of Italy and thus Rome, the Byzantine one, and my...one). No, I am not declaring war on Byzantium or France. Also, I realize I changed the locations of my cities a tad. I had to shoehorn them in to the boundaries given me. I will fix them as my borders expand.

Brief outline of my update tomorrow (this is mostly so I don't forget :p ):

Rasputin ran away with Anastasia and Alexei to Astrakhan after the Fall. Much passed, including that of the book. Then, the Ruriks (original house of Russia) came from Germany to reinstitute their rule. Rasputin is with them. Then, in 1900...is for me to know and for you to find out! :) -> ;) -> :p

Last edited:
OOC: no, not stupid at all. You may be getting close to the squabble between the major powers of France ad Britain but don't take Egypt and you should be ok.

OOC: Everyone knows Alexandria belongs to the Byzantines, how else am I supposed to restore the Pentarchy! I play too much EU3 :(

Last edited:
Imperial Family Romanov:
Czar Nicolae Alexandrovich Romanov II, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias- 70
Czaritsa Alexandra Feodorovna Romanova, Empress Consort- 45
Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna, firstborn daughter- 25
Grand Duchess Tatiana Nikolaevna, secondborn daughter- 24
Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaevna, thirdborn daughter- 23
Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna, fourthborn daughter (missing)- 22
Czesarrevich Alexei Nikolaevich. firstborn son and heir apparent (missing)- 21

Pretender House Rurik:
Mikhail II Rurik, Pretender Emperor- 25
Vasily Rurik, Brother to Pretender- 24
Piotr Rurik, Brother to Pretender- 22
Maria Rurik, Sister to Pretender- 20
Dmitry Ivanovich, 1st Cousin to Pretender- 31

Okhrana:
Vladimir Lenin, Chief Minister- 40
Roman Malinovsky, Minister of the Interior- 34
Dmitry Bogrov, Minister of Education- 37

Malik Nous:
Tikhon Vasily Bellavin, Patriarch- 60

Other:
Grigori Rasputin, resistant monk- 31
Mikhail Annenkov, General of the Russian Army- 58

I think your ages may be a little off? I assume those are ages? Lenin should be 40, and Nicholas would be only in his 30s I think.

Establishment of the Confederate Army and Navy​

Shortly after Murphy Foster's election in 1901 it became obvious why Carter Glass had backed him for the Presidency. Foster backed Glass' idea of creating a permanent military force, and in order to quiet the controversy it would cause he had found just the man to do it. Custis Lee, the eldest son of the Civil War hero, was tapped to lead the establishment of a permanent force.

Contrary to popular expectations Lee did not chose to build his force up from the existing paramilitary organizations. He considered them unwieldy and dangerous, and instead begun recruiting men from the lower classes of the Americans. In became painfully clear very quickly that in order to maintain a force of any noticeable size natives would have to be included in it.

The outcry over allowing natives to serve in the army temporarily threatened to topple Foster's government, but with a broad coalition of military leaders such as Lee, moderate political leaders, progressives led by Wilson, and hawks led by Glass, the measure won support. Natives were prohibited from serving as officers, and they were restricted to serving in separate all-native units. Demographics, however, dictated that by the time Lee finished assembling his army the majority of the soldiers were natives.

The establishment of the navy proved a slightly more difficult task. Some ships survived from the original refugee migration, but sailors were in short supply. Furthermore, construction of new ships was an undertaking significantly beyond the present capacity of the Confederacy. To this end Foster appointed Wilson as the first Secretary of the Navy, and delegated to him a construction of a dockyard in New Charleston. The procurement of a dockyard and of a dozen new large ships became the largest public expenditure in the Confederacy's history, and a special tax on the sale of liquor had to be implemented to pay for it. Wilson managed the construction and procurement projects skillfully, and in a few years the first ship of the Confederate Navy entered service.

CSS Alabama, the first ship of the Confederate Navy
300px-CSSAlabama.jpg

OOC: Just want to say to our new players, very good work so far! I'm impressed with what you've been doing with the states you've inherited/created.

Also, to newbies (and certain other players) please put your nation in your sig, ideally with a link to the game. It not only helps keep straight who is who, it also serves to further advertise the game when you post elsewhere.

Turn progress:

Need orders from

BRAZIL
BIGSBY TRADE CO
COLOMBIA
RUSSIA
TWELFTH HOUSE

And Watercress, I just wanted to remind you that all IP expires if you don't use it. Right now I believe you've only spent 6 of the 10 you have.

OOC: Just want to say to our new players, very good work so far! I'm impressed with what you've been doing with the states you've inherited/created.

OOC: I must heartily echo this sentiment, lads! Splendid bit of role-playing, I say.

Untitled-3.png

Punitive Expedition to the Congo

In a matter of days, the frontier town of Mukamba has become the centre of attention for the entire Kaiserreich. Once an idyllic cluster of huts, farms and a mission on the eastern shore of Lake Tanganyika, it has been reduced to a smouldering ruin. Out of several dozen inhabitants, only a handful were fortunate enough to have escaped the carnage that has evoked the wrath of an entire people. Without any effective means of communication, the survivors managed to brave the jungles and trekked the torturous miles south to the neighbouring town of Magala. The stories they shared shocked the settlers and indigenous alike, prompting urgent messages across the countryside for assistance. It was reported that a renegade band of natives from the Congo had slipped across the border into rural Ost-Afrika and set upon the undefended people of Mukamba like a swarm of locusts. All males of fighting age were immediately butchered and left to rot in the open. All of the African women of the village had one of their breasts removed and were repeatedly violated until their cries of pain subsided from shock and exhaustion. Many were killed after having been forced to please the ravenous marauders. The elderly were seen to have been tied up as a group and marched into the lake, where their inability to swim as a cohesive unit resulted in a mass drowning. The German Protestant missionary was impaled and left bleeding on the steps of the mission, which was subsequently burned to the ground. All of the children that could be found were simply kidnapped, borne away into the shadows of the jungles that spawned those animals. By the time armed settlers and frontiersmen arrived in force to Mukamba, there was no sign of the aggressors.

With the public printing from the diary of Dr. Karl Peters and his revelations about the massacre at Stanleyville already having increased public tension about the lawless province on the western front, this latest outrage only confirmed the fact that the former Belgian authorities have lost all control and anarchy is spreading like wildfire. Furious citizens crowded the grounds of the Reichstag, demanding retribution against the responsible natives and security against further incursion. It took little time for the government to act. In an unainimous vote, the lower and upper houses voted for action and authorized military intervention. In addition to this, the Reichskanzler, after having an extended meeting with Generalfeldmarschall von Schlieffen, allowed 5. Armee to be stood up for active service for the coming campaign.

Kaiser Wilhelm II delivered a speech to several assembled feldkompagnies prior to their initial sortie across the border, which in part stated:

"A great task awaits you: you are to revenge the grievous injustice that has been done. The Congolese have overturned the law of nations; they have mocked the sacredness of the family and civilian, the duties of hospitality in a way unheard of in world history. It is all the more outrageous that this crime has been committed by a nation that takes pride in its ancient culture. Show the old Prussian virtue. Present yourselves as Christians in the cheerful endurance of suffering. May honor and glory follow your banners and arms. Give the whole world an example of manliness and discipline.

You know full well that you are to fight against a cunning, brave, well-armed, and cruel enemy. When you encounter him, know this: no quarter will be given. Prisoners will not be taken. Exercise your arms such that for a thousand years no African will dare to look cross-eyed at a German. Maintain discipline. May God’s blessing be with you, the prayers of an entire nation and my good wishes go with you, each and every one. Open the way to civilization once and for all! Now you may depart! Farewell, comrades!”

GermanysKaiserWilhelmIIsspeech-large.jpg

The Speech

Spend 2IP towards the creation of a fifth army.

Invade the province of Congo with five armies.

Last edited:
Untitled-3.png

Message from the Admiralty

In 1902, following years of labour, trials and training, the Hochseeflotte steamed out of the harbour at Mombasa as a collective entity for the first time. At the head of the fleet was the SMS König Wilhelm, commissioned only several weeks before, commanded by Prince Heinrich. The true prizes were the newly created Deutschland and Friedrich der Grosse class battleships, with their impressive arrays of naval firepower and armour. Some older cruisers and lighter vessels from 'Der Exodus' remain in the fleet's order of battle, having endured retrofits and upgrades during their time in various docks and yards. These ships are truly feats of engineering, especially considering the initial lack of construction equipment, sites and even materials upon arrival in Mombasa. The fleet is expected to remain at sea over the next few months, putting their new doctrines through the paces. The ships are said to be sailing for the southern coast of Africa, around the Cape of Good Hope, where they will begin patrolling.

The Kaiser was on hand to witness the salute delivered by the fleet to the throngs of German citizens gathered by the sea in New Luebeck, as they sailed forth.

sms_konig_wilhelm_undersail.jpg

Steaming Ahead

Spend 2IP towards the creation of a Fleet (4/4).

Last edited: