• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I believe Mongolia (dark blue in Central Asia, is that what you meant?) and South Africa are still NPCs.

But remember you can start a country in any empty province, and if you take over one of the above NPCs you can re-flavor them however you wish.

POST TO BE EXPANDED. Spend 10CP to Diplo-Annex South Africa.

"Korea is with us, China is with us, Now the Indochina must be with us. The Arrogant British have pushed hard into Burma and a line must be Drawn. They will go no further east into South East Asia. We this I am drawing a line in the wanton Aggression of the Europeans. They must either be stopped or nothing will stop them. Muster two new armies for the Army Then Continue to Modernise Army Rifles. Then Mobilize all our forces to invade Indochina to liberate it for the Empire of the Rising Sun. Do you understand these Orders." Declared Yoshinobu. "I do and they shall be carried out to the Best of my Ability" Replied Kuroda.

OOC: Hyzenhok, you're really pushing this crushing thing, eh? Don't be too mean on my countrymen :)

Everyone, great RP... I'm chewing the bit until I can do something big with Russia. I'm still figuring things out... but watch out!

An Open Letter to His Imperial Royal Majesty Kaiser Wilhelm II

From the Diary of Dr. Karl Peters,

It was with much apprehension that our intrepid band covered the miles between Léopoldville and the frontier of the former Deutsch-Südwestafrika, the Kunene River. I dared not hope for what would remain. The villages and huts we passed on the way were scattered and lonesome. Few local natives would actually get close enough to our group to interact or supply information and those that did, gave conflicting reports. We could not be sure if the Germans who had once been there in fact remained. Some of my guides advised us to turn back, or push through to the interior and avoid any possible contact with the Herero tribes, who would surely be present. We pressed onwards.

Once we crossed the Kunene, we entered into the north region of Damara-Land. I was not surprised to find that the former outposts and ferry points that we approached were empty and desolate, with no sign of inhabitants or workers. Many appeared to have been deserted for many years. We covered many miles each day and the hours seemed to grow longer. The feeling of pure isolation was almost stifling and as we moved southwards, I could not help but feel that we were on a fool's errand and that perhaps I should have known better than trust in optimism. Africa has after all, proved it has little use for such sentiments.

After crossing the Omaruru River, I decided that we should try to see whatever became of the former colonial capital. We pressed over a hundred kilometres from the sea and came upon the outskirts of Otjimbingwe, our goal. Imagine my surprise, when our expedition was intercepted by a small, ragged patrol from the Schutztruppe. Their uniforms were dingy and tattered and rifles had obviously seen much hard campaigning in the decade since 'The Fall,' but these were hard men for hard times and of course, Germans.

No doubt skeptical of our claims of the resurgence of the Kaiserreich on the eastern side of the continent, we shared a meal with them and remained in the town only for the evening. We were told that the colonial establishment had held firm when communications were cut with Berlin, but the natives, especially the Herero, took their chances and rebelled against the Schutztruppe. Many civilians were killed, or driven south by these raiders. A status quo had become prominent here over the past few years, as settles were forced farther south, to the new capital of Swakopmund. These men had stayed behind to protect was farmsteads were left, but they did not mince words when they told me that if nothing was done about their plight in the near future, the entire area would devolve into chaos.

The flag of Germany still flies over these lands.

Interestingly enough, the situation is similar in the former Cape Colony and Boer lands. We travelled extensively across the Cape of Good Hope, meeting with refugees, mercenaries, former soldiers and administrators, civilians and natives. State President Paul Kruger, who hastily established the South African Free State after 'The Fall,' is still holed up in Bloemfontain with a shattered remnant of his military forces. Small garrisons remain at Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and several other key cities, but his hold is tenuous. The amassed Zulu tribes to their north-east have proven to be formidable foes and the central government here lacks the will and power to drive the threat away.

After an initially icy reception, we were greeted by Kruger himself and other key dignitaries from his office. He is a man genuinely concerned for the fate of his people. Though not willing to discuss such matter with me in open company, he has hinted that he is aware of his precarious position. This Kruger is fully aware of the power presented by the Kaiserreich and knows he cannot hope to match its power, much less to compete and still hold the Zulu warriors at bay. These Afrikaners are an industrious people and share a common European heritage. I strongly recommend that representatives strike while the iron is hot and immediately dispatch envoys to Bloemfontein.

Humbly and respectfully.

Signed,

Dr. Karl Peters

Arabia would be a good place, if you're looking for a recommendation. You've got some potential for expansion into Syria and Egypt.

I would like to take over South Africa, but I am not sure if that will work given DonCossack's post above. If this is not acceptable I think I will pick somewhere else to start a country.

OOC: That would create a rather awkward situation, as it would negate DonCossack's effort to annex south africa diplomatically.

You could be Mongolia, or Confederate States of Central America, or come up with something new and different. In the book there's a reference to a Sultan of Egypt, and a Caliphate in Damascus.

Egypt itself I think might be better. In fact I think I will take it and let DonCossack deal with South Africa however he wants. I'll do a quick write-up in a bit. Thanks Watercress.

EDIT: Did not realize there was a Confederate States of Central America. I actually like the backstory to that one. I'll take that and post something up on it in just a bit. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Le Temps Nouveau

Constitution of 1900 Unveiled
HIM Napoleon IV revealed publicly the official draft of the proposed Constitution of 1900, which will be the subject of a plebiscite this Bastille Day. The full text is included as an insert in this special commemorative issue of Le Temps.

A brief summary of the Constitutions main points:
*The Constitution calls for the creation of a bicameral legislature, composed of a directly elected National Assembly and an appointed Senate.
*Representatives in the Assembly will serve for 5 year terms, while Senators serve either for life or at the pleasure of the Emperor
*The Emperor is affirmed as the head of state, commander in chief of the armed forces, head of the civil service and judiciary
*Imperial appointees can be impeached by a two-thirds vote of both the Assembly and the Senate
*The franchise will be extended to all adult male citizens, without property requirements
*Citizenship is automatic for children of citizens, and can be gained by non-citizen subjects of the Empire who pass a citizenship exam and swear to obey and uphold Imperial law.
*Regions where the majority of the population is composed of citizens are organized into prefectures, which will have their own unicameral legislature and a Prefect appointed by the Emperor, subject to impeachment by the citizens of the prefecture
*Other regions under Imperial control are divided into two categories: military controlled departments and princely or tribal states under Imperial protection. The latter will have representation in the Senate and be left to conduct their own internal affairs, the former will become prefectures when citizens represent 1/3rd of the population
*The Declaration of the Rights of Man is reaffirmed

While some liberals had hoped for more power to be delegated to elected officials, and some conservatives object to the broad definition of citizenship, the Constitution is widely expected to pass comfortably, and political parties are already organizing for general elections in the fall.

Egypt itself I think might be better. In fact I think I will take it and let DonCossack deal with South Africa however he wants. I'll do a quick write-up in a bit. Thanks Watercress.

EDIT: Did not realize there was a Confederate States of Central America. I actually like the backstory to that one. I'll take that and post something up on it in just a bit. Thanks guys.

OOC: Thank you, I was rather proud of it. Of course by 1900 most of the original Confederate veterans like Early would be dead or retired, so I don't know where you should look for the next generation of leaders (pretty much any turn-of-the-century white southerner might due).

edit: Ben Tillman is a suitably nasty, unreconstructed southern politician of the era:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Tillman

If you'd prefer someone less reprehensible, Woodrow Wilson would be possible, if a bit of a stretch.

Double edit: R. E. Lee had some sons and a nephew who were officers in the Confederate Army, a couple of whom went on to serve in the US army after the war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzhugh_Lee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Custis_Lee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Fitzhugh_Lee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Edward_Lee,_Jr.

Last edited:
The Confederate States of America

220px-Confederate_National_Flag_since_Mar_4_1865.svg.png

The South's defeat in the American Civil War brought about a period of "reconstruction" which saw harsh federal policies applied to the former Confederate states. In the wake of this reconstruction the whites in the south, both upper and lower class, grew resentful of federal over-reach which sometimes bordered on vengeance. By the mid-1870s "conservative Democrats" became the dominant political force in the South, kept in check only by the restrictions placed on them by the federal government.

A number of paramilitary groups arose in the South during the period, some openly dedicated to the overthrow of the Republican rule, others simply aiming to terrorize the local black population. The KKK, the White League, and the Red Shirts are the best known of this group, but there were a number of other "democratic rifle clubs" that existed in the South.

While the federal government generally unable or unwilling to organize mass evacuations in the wake of the Fall, a collection of wealthy and powerful Southerners organized an evacuation plan of their own. Largely led by former Confederates and members of secret societies like the KKK and Knights of the Golden Circle, the Walker League armed and funded several expeditions to establish control over parts of Central America. Military successes and a rapidly deteriorating situation in the South led to a wave of immigrants, numbering into the hundreds of thousands.

The military government formed by the expeditionaries established the Second Confederacy in 1879, with a Constitution granting extensive rights to its citizens, while also strictly limiting citizenship to the white, English-speaking population. The next few decades have not been kind to the Confederates, with constant struggles against the "native" populations weakening the relatively small host of American transplants. Internal squabbles among the leadership led to two attempted coups, with the latest coming in 1897 after the death of Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar, the third President of the Confederacy (after Davis and Early).

Somehow the Confederacy has survived, however, and by 1900 most former Southern leaders have retreated from politics (many retreating as far as the grave). This has allowed for a younger group of post-Civil War politicians and leaders to take center stage. The election of 1897 resulted in a victory for John Griffin Carlisle, a moderate. His administration brought together almost all leading Confederate moderates, including Murphy James Foster and Thomas Woodrow Wilson, and. In 1899 Wilson negotiated a compromise with the native populations of Central America that extended them citizenship, and finally allowed the Confederacy a moment of calm.

Attachments

• 640px-Confederate_National_Flag_since_Mar_4_1865.svg.png
    640px-Confederate_National_Flag_since_Mar_4_1865.svg.png
    30,3 KB · Views: 25
OOC: Thank you, I was rather proud of it. Of course by 1900 most of the original Confederate veterans like Early would be dead or retired, so I don't know where you should look for the next generation of leaders (pretty much any turn-of-the-century white southerner might due).

edit: Ben Tillman is a suitably nasty, unreconstructed southern politician of the era:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Tillman

If you'd prefer someone less reprehensible, Woodrow Wilson would be possible, if a bit of a stretch.

I decided to go with southern Bourbon Democrats and Wilson. A capitalist utopia is a little bit more up my alley than a feudal slave-state.

I decided to go with southern Bourbon Democrats and Wilson. A capitalist utopia is a little bit more up my alley than a feudal slave-state.

OOC: A fine choice, and really quite plausible. After a few decades of misrule by squabbling old generals, a progressive like Wilson could well rise to power.

Brief History of the CSA​

Jefferson Davis

1860 - December, South Carolina succeeds from the United States of America.
1861 - First Constitution of the Confederacy adopted, Jefferson Davis is elected President.
1865 - Jefferson Davis disbands the Confederate government.

Jubal Early

1878 - Cataclysm and beginning of Southern expeditions to Central America.
1879 - Establishment of the Second Confederacy and appointment of Jubal Early as President and adoption of a provisional Constitution.
1880 - 1884 - First major clashes with the native populations. Wade Hampton leads an expedition deep into Central America and establishes an independent settlement there. He clashes fiercely with native populations.
1888 - Early suffers an alleged stroke and is incapacitated for months. There are protests and demands for a new Constitution and elections. Wade Hampton leads a force into New Charleston in an attempt to seize power, but is rebuked. Most people rally around Early and Hampton is pushed back.
1889 - 1890 - Clashes between forces loyal to Early and forces loyal to Hampton continue throughout. Eventually William Cox leads a raid into the interior and burns the settlement established by Hampton. Hampton himself is never found.

Lucius Lamar/William Cox

1891 - Under immense pressure Early agrees to step down. The second Constitution of the Confederacy is adopted. Lucius Lamar elected President with William Cox as Vice President.
1892 - A major native insurrection begins. President Lamar alternates between negotiation and use of force. Confederate forces are driven out of large parts of Central America.
1893 - President Lamar unexpectedly dies. William Cox assumes the Presidency, declares martial law, and suspends the Constitution. He begins an aggressive military campaign against the natives. However, most people are tired of war and Cox never gathers much support. By 1894 calls for him to step down are universal and he agrees to leave rather than risk an altercation.

John Carlise

1895 - John Carlise is elected President. His administration begins negotiations with the natives immediately after his inauguration.
1899 - Woodrow Wilson negotiates a compromise with natives in 1897, and in 1899 the Confederacy adopts its third Constitution in a nationwide vote. The Constitution grants citizenship to all natives, although the reality for almost all of them is far from equality.

The appearance of a player nation has forced me to act early!

Spend 4 IC building 2 Armies
Invade Central Mexico with 5 Armies

RP rationale/diplomacy with Confederates will come when I have time.

Le Temps Nouveau

Commercial Aerobase Breaks Ground

Empress Maria dedicated the site of the Empire's first civilian Aerobase outside Tangier today. The state-of-the-art facility will include vast hangers to facilitate construction of a new class of airships. The d'Ecausseville Airship Company plans to establish regular passenger airship service between the Moroccan city and the Andalusian port of Algeciras. Investors hope to establish the first commercially viable airline by closing the gap between the Empire's African and European railway networks. If successful, future routes linking Tunis and Palermo or a connection between Barcelona and Algiers via one of the Balearic Islands are under consideration.

opconstruction-12def.jpg

The d'Ecausseville Airship Company's new facility

This represents a potential turning point for airships as a practical technology. Up until now aeronautics research has mainly been either a hobby of wealthy enthusiasts or an experimental military technology. But the d'E.A.C. could make airship travel a reality in our time.

Invest 1 IP and 7 CP in Airship tech 2 (22/25)