• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
rel-lds.gif

First Joint-Session of the Congress and Quorum of the Territories
in Salt Lake City

1900Main.jpg

Salt Lake City, 1896

The first Joint-Session of the new government of the Territories has released a wide-ranging batch of founding laws. Here is a sampling of some of the measures passed:

• Judiciary created; judges will be elected, justices to be appointed directly by the President
  • Federal legalization of Plural Marriage
  • Uniform tax code applied to all Territories
  • New, more generous Homestead Act passed and confirmed to apply equally to all citizens
  • Tariff implemented on "non-Congressional US territorial imported goods"
  • Authorization for the Premier to create and arm one or more volunteer cavalry divisions for the army
  • Authorization for the Premier to militarily suppress rebellious communities
  • Funding provided to secure modern, up-to-date munitions for existing armed forces
  • A movement to confirm the "West Treaty" as the law of the land failed
  • Individual territories signing international treaties officially banned; "West Treaty" declared illegal
  • Funds set aside for the construction of a federal park, including a capitol to house the Quorum and Congress.
  • Subsidies granted for the construction of a large "public" Mormon tabernacle in Salt Lake City
  • Zion's Board of Trade legally incorporated as a body of the federal government; granted additional powers

Invest 12 CP and 1 IP in Army tech (unlocking Tier II)
Spend 2 IP to build 1 army

300px-RoughRiders.jpeg

Roosevelt and the newly assembled "West Riders" 1st Volunteer Cavalry Brigade.

Last edited:
Ultimatum to California
Issued by Theodore Roosevelt

764672.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt, Premier of the United Territories.
Mr. Roosevelt recently celebrated his marriage to his new wife Margaret, his 3rd marriage since he converted to Mormonism 5 years ago.​

The following is a publicized segment of a missive written by Theodore Roosevelt, sent to the "Visible Best" of the Californians.

Mr. Lafayette,

We were disappointed to learn that California and Nevada were not planning to send representatives to the first joint-session of Congress in Salt Lake City earlier this year.

As Premier and Chief Enforcer of the United Territories, I must regretfully inform you that our government rather insists that you cease your missives that treat your government as independent and equal to that of the United Territories. As you know, the West Treaty was a thing signed in haste in a moment of urgency and disaster. We urge you to truly cooperate with us as Americans, rather than hide behind a worthless piece of paper while demanding we provide troops for your reckless overseas adventures.

We also have the following list of necessary procedures we would like you to comply with:

• Hold elections and submit territorial-level representatives to serve in the United Territorial Congress. We are willing to consider a legal merger of the Territory of Nevada with the former State of California
  • Cease independent, unilateral military invasions of external territory
  • Allow your militia to be incorporated under the United Armed Forces of the Territories.
  • Keep the Co-Refurbished US fleet closer to the American coast. Allow it to be brought under the command of the United Territorial government.
  • Grant full and open access to the various "hold" cities to the Territorial Armies
  • Relinquish any and all control of the trans-continental railroads to the Federal government in Salt Lake City
  • Grant certain necessary protections and privileges to missionaries throughout California
  • Provide financial reimbursement for various incidents that have occurred along the Utah-Nevada border and along the Colorado River border

We hope to see prompt and eager compliance so that we may further increase the cooperation and strength of our mighty people.

We hope to see compliance on the military matters especially quickly; we will shortly dispatch soldiers and officers to help incorporate your militia into the army and to occupy and renovate several key forts in your territory.

Sincerely,
Theodore Roosevelt,
Premier of the United Territories

Invade California with 5 armies

Untitled-3.png

Battles Rage Across Mozambique

The first units of the Reichsheer crossed the southern frontier into Mozambique in early 1893. 1. Armee and 3. Armee forded the Rovuma River near the coastline and were able to probe as far as the coastal settlement of Pemba, roughly two hundred kilometres south, without significant resistance. After several days of skirmishes with local militia groups, the determined German advance was able to seize the town and were free to continue their advance. However, 2. Armee and 4. Armee were met with a large body of organized units of the former Portuguese colonial forces, as well as native bands, near the outskirts of Lichinga. This is located approximately four hundred kilometres from the coast. The defenders were determined and stubbornly held their ground for over a week, inflicting significant casualties against the invading forces. Numerous assaults on fixed defensive points met with horrendous results and even continuing artillery barrages could not evict them.

As 1. Armee and 3. Armee pushed deeper into Mozambique, attacks on their columns and rear supply lines increased. It was believed by commanders on the ground that defenders were slipping away from the fighting at Lichinga to deal with this pressing threat. Captured enemy combatants indicated that an all-out press for men to fill ranks was occurring in the far south, in the capital region and men were steadily being transferred to the front. What was most surprising was the quality of the native units fighting in Mozambique. It became clear that they had received more than rudimentary training from their former colonial masters and had been equipped with stores from Portuguese armouries.

As the weeks dragged on, the front lines gradually began shifting south and the natives were pushed back. However, the rains of late winter and early spring began to wreak havoc on German maneuvers and their ability to keep supplies flowing at a steady rate. Many of the roads in the interior of the province were scant to begin with and many were simply washed away. The two arms of the edxpedition converged on Nampula, where they fought an almost equal number of natives in the close terrain. Casualties up to this point again, had been high and replacements were slow to be brought forward from depots.

Superior training, co-ordination and small-unit tactics and leadership had brought the Kaiser's soldiers this far. By May, the town was in German hands and the Reichsheer had cemented itself firmly on the north bank of the Ligonha River. However, the obviously capable indigenous and colonial opponents had proved their worth and stalled the campaign. With less than a third of the province in German hands and the newly constituted 4. Armee once again badly mauled, it was time to recouperate.

The conflict is currently at a stalemate, with more soldiers being promised for the front in 1895.

afrikakrieg.jpg

A Casualty at Lichinga

Last edited:
***a speech given to the people of San Francisco after the Utah Ultimatum was recieved, by Miguel Francisco***

This is a date which will live in infamy. This morning my office received a telegram from Theodore Roosevelt, now the Premier of the United Territories of Utah and Texas. He has been corrupted by the devil's iron shackle, which has descended through the Quorum on those once free lands. His mission is to take our very way of life, and to extinguish the final flickering candle of goodness, of hope, of freedom in these troubling times. We must stand against this threat, not only for ourselves, not only for God, but for posterity. If we fall, all hope is lost for our children, and the children of the world. There will be no one to take the world's huddled masses, no one to produce the greatest minds and power the world has ever seen. Our forefathers stood against tyranny, and so must we stand against tyranny. Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty. It is better to die with a sword in one hand and freedom in the other with God on our side, than under the whip of oppression and the fork of Beelzebub.

There are those of you who would not abide a war. Amen I say to you, it is right and just to resist the temptation of sin. But it is no sin to fight a demon, and the people of Utah are the most despicable spawn to be created by fallen angels. They have turned against God and all that is right and just in this world. They have turned against a treaty signed in good faith and mutual respect, have turned against their word. The world must see that the people of the United Territories are the worst kind of horrid, the worst kind of oath-breaker. We pray that they see our plight, and as men of God and Goodness that they stand by us. Our two remaining armies, once looking to assist us in saving land to better light the candle of freedom, now must stand by us and help defend everything we hold dear. The guards are being called in, but this force is not enough, not even close to a third army. You must take down your rifles and stand shoulder to shoulder, brother by brother, to face the forces of hell.

Our navy is open to any forces who wish to assist us. We offer open borders to any man willing to stand by us, and eternal gratitude to any land which wishes to stand by the army of God in the face of this great terror. Surely their actions shall be blessed by the Lord. We ask our brothers in faith, our brothers in righteousness and love of freedom all over the globe, to stand by us. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. Forever remember, the right is more precious than peace, and we shall fight for the things which we have always carried nearest our hearts, for democracy, for the right of those who submit to authority to have a voice in their own governments, for the rights and liberties of small nations, for a universal dominion of right by such a concert of free peoples as shall bring peace and safety to all nations and make the world at last free. To such a task we can dedicate our lives and our fortunes, everything that we are and everything that we have, with the pride of those who know that the day has come when California is privileged to spend her blood and her might for the principles that gave her birth and happiness and the peace which she has treasured. God helping her, she can do no other.

OOC: I expected as much, Hyzenhok. I just didn't know when. I did expect you to be a bit more honorable, but the situation is what it is. As stated, my navy is open to any armies willing to be dedicated to my nations's cause. And as stated, I would be forever grateful, and there would certainly be rewards for assistance. If my speech did not stir you, perhaps cash will. Do not forget, whether I lose or not, that the people of Utah cannot be trusted whatsoever. They are not even respecting the ten year peace agreement. I shall stand by any treaty I sign, however, even if it hurts me. Recognize what is just, is all I ask.

Colombia, we have been coming to terms on an agreement in the case of a situation such as the one which has occurred. I would very much appreciate that help. You would, of course, be rewarded.

Construct 1 army. Use 3 armies plus any collected by the navy to fight off the Utah threat. The navy is open to anyone willing to pledge armies to fight off Utah.

In the halls of the Colombian Congress...

An emergency session has been called by Prime Minister Cook. This time, however, Emperor Inca I is present, watching silently from the back.

Cook begins to speak. "My fellow Colombians...word has reached me from the north that the United Territories claims itself to be the legitimate successor of the United States of America, and, as such, has begun an invasion to put down our friends, the Californios. We cannot allow this to happen! If the United Territories asserts itself over California, then what is to stop it from sweeping down south and invading Colombia?

We must act swiftly if we are to deter the threat of a Utahn invasion. As such, I hereby ask the Colombian Congress to grant me a declaration of war against the United Territories, so that we may defend our Californio allies."

Invest IP and CP in army tech. Use California's navy to transport all armies to attack Utah.

Untitled-3.png

Recruitment Drive Amongst African Population

Over the course of the past few decades, since the creation of the Ostafrikanische Kaiserreich and indeed, beyond into the history of the area as a colonial domain, the local African tribes and people have enjoyed a close and productive relationship with those of Germanic heritage. As the needs of the Reichsheer have grown, so too have the attempts to enlist greater portions of Askari, native Africans trained as soldiers. The pay grade for Askari troops is second-to-none. The training is of the finest quality, supervised by veteran German officers and non-commissioned members. The weapons and equipment is the same as any European. Primarily drawn from the Wahehe and Angori tribes within Ost-Afrika, the Chief of the General Staff is spurring a concentrated drive to motivate ethnic clans within Abyssinia, including those Ethiopians and Somalis that are ready to serve the Kaiser.

Those interested in applying are encouraged to seek out regimental offices and enlist today.

hm.jpg

Askari Recruiting Poster

OOC: DonCossack, where are you getting these awesome photos? You always seem to have a perfect one for the moment!

OOC: Please be more clear about your military orders so I can make proper adjustments. What province you are attacking if any, etc. My current interpretation of madtemplar's orders is that any armies "collected" will be delivered to California to aid in the defense, not to attack a province.

And templar, I'm not sure what you expected when you chose to start in California. :p Had we not come to an agreement on the first turn that so blatantly favored me, I would have just rolled the dice and attacked you immediately.

I would also note to all other enterprising nations with navies, Columbia will be completely undefended under Seek's current orders. ;)

Last edited:
OOC: I would assume that he is aiding in the defense of California, so that from there we can pick you apart... That was the plan yesterday, anyway. Plus, if someone wanted to attack Colombia, they would have. But why take a far off Provence in a bitter war when they can still take local, easier to obtain land?

Also, I was going to play as Australia (remember tannerman wasn't there yet) but as this is my fist forum game I decided to play with an area I actually know.

OOC: Ah, so you want me to ruin the surprise of where I got my photos, eh? Well, alright. German Army in East Africa

Additionally, do the rest of you, I guess GBIT specifically, think we should put a recruiting pitch out for a couple more players, at least one to fill Byzantium or Tenth House?

OOC: Ah, so you want me to ruin the surprise of where I got my photos, eh? Well, alright. German Army in East Africa

Additionally, do the rest of you, I guess GBIT specifically, think we should put a recruiting pitch out for a couple more players, at least one to fill Byzantium or Tenth House?

OOC: First, what a great website, especially for this game. Second, that is agreed. GBIT should make a thread in the OT forum, promoting the game. We can offer an incentive of an extra 2 IP or something.

OOC: First, what a great website, especially for this game. Second, that is agreed. GBIT should make a thread in the OT forum, promoting the game. We can offer an incentive of an extra 2 IP or something.

OOC: I think we should offer players of new nations the 2 ip per turn they missed by not being here at start. Should make new factions more playable.

OOC: I think we should offer players of new nations the 2 ip per turn they missed by not being here at start. Should make new factions more playable.

I'll make a post about joining the game; if anyone wishes to join, we can decide from there what to do about IP.

Le Temps Nouveau

French Forces Conquer Segu
Tirailleurs_partant_en_colo-8a657.jpg

French Senegalese Trialleurs March Into Segu

Glorious news from West Africa, where French Army forces, aided by faithful allies from the local Bamana tribe, have captured the important town of Segu. Segu was the center of the Toucouleur Empire, which has been fighting French forces in Africa since before the Fall. But the bravery and professionalism of the Imperial French Army ultimately prevailed. The fanatical Muslim warriors of Toucouleur were routed and their leader Ahmadu Seku Tall has reportedly fled east to Sokoto.

Marshall Louis Archinard, commander of French forces in West Africa, has vowed to pursue the remnants of the Toucouleur into Sokoto. While critics have accused him of trying to provoke a new war to justify further conquests, Marshall Archinard insists his concern is solely for the safety of Frenchmen and the peoples under their protection.

"There can be no lasting peace while any elements of this jihadi army are still at large. It is the sworn duty of every French soldier to put an end to this menace."

Invade the Odd-shaped province due south of Lybia with all five armies

OOC: Further IC posts and orders to come tomorrow evening, i'm too beat to write more tonight.

Last edited:
I just want to publicly state some rules clarifications which have been asked for via PM, for the benefit of others possibly wondering:

• Yes, it is possible to have protectorates/vassals and receive tribute or indemnities from other nations. CP and IP can be transferred to anyone, but only if you have open supply lines. CP received from payments is the only way to exceed the normal per turn limit of 5.
  • Increasing the IP production of a province costs 10CP and has no chance of failure. You must still contact me and I must approve the action, which should have RP behind it.
  • Allied armies being transported on one of your navies must have either their own line of supply to the targeted province of an invasion (which you may use), or a supply line to your territory.

AND

Allied armies being transported on one of your navies must have an open supply line to any one of your territories if being used to defend one of your provinces.

OOC: Sorry guys, I am moving soon and in combination with me having no net in the the flat, I will have to drop out for now. Hope someone can put Byzantium on AI.

Sorry to hear it! Good luck with your new place, and you are always welcome back. :D

This was my immediate inclination, and it's what I'll do. Anyone who joins can have all the IP they would have earned otherwise. I'm not going to get into the messy temporal paradoxes of allowing multiple, past attacks on empty provinces, however.

I'll make a post about joining the game; if anyone wishes to join, we can decide from there what to do about IP.

I think all of us posting there would do something to demonstrate the vitality of the game, which has exceeded my wildest dreams when I started it. Really guys, I'm having an unmitigated blast GMing this. Thank you!

OOC: Ok, thanks for the stuff GBIT. When can we expect a 24 hour countdown? I'd like to see the results of our impending war. ;)

And Hyzenhok, I resent the fact that you incorporated Teddy Roosevelt into your nation before I did. How did he slip my mind? That bad*** should have been one of my VB's! :/

masthead1895.png

LIBERAL LANDSLIDE; CHAMBERLAIN FORMS NEW GOVERNMENT!

All 670 seats in the House of Commons contested.
336 seats needed for majority.

LIBERAL PARTY: 411 SEATS GAINED; 61.3% OF VOTES

CONSERVATIVE PARTY: 259 SEATS GAINED; 38.7% OF VOTES

"Let it be our endeavour, let it be our task, to keep alight the torch of Imperial patriotism, to hold fast the affection and the confidence of our kinsmen across the seas; so that in every vicissitude of fortune the British Empire may present an unbroken front to all her foes, and may carry on even to distant ages the glorious traditions of the British flag."

So concluded the maiden address of Prime Minister Joseph Chamberlain, in which he expounded upon the forthcoming Parliamentary initiatives of his new Liberal government. His remarks may be found printed in full on Page One of our special Election Supplement within. The Prime Minister welcomed the vigorous mandate granted by his overwhelming electoral triumph, but confessed an unsettling dissatisfaction with the circumstances of its achievement; he pledged "in no uncertain terms" that the "sanctity of our Great British Democracy will be restored," confirming that individual constituencies and the freedom of candidacy would return with all possible haste. Large gains in empty seats would be filled "with the will and conscience of the British people at heart", though Mr. Chamberlain described the situation as undesirable. The Right Honourable Arthur James Balfour, who has assumed interim control of the Conservative Party in the wake of Lord Salisbury's resignation, confirmed to the press later that evening that selection of those Tory Members of Parliament to be 'dislodged' would be handled by internal whips; backbenchers are reportedly scrambling in the chaos to ensure that they are not cut adrift. It may be fairly said that this event will, in future generations, be marked as the true end of the Second Mutiny. With the return of democracy, in whatever form, and indeed with the crushing of the usurpers in Hyderabad, the Empire has cast off the spectre of defeat and fear. The Prime Minister expressed this sentiment by turning the majority of his attentions to 'wider' concerns: the Afghan frontier, the greater Empire, and with a note of hope, the Homeland.

chamberlainelection.jpg

Chamberlain is sent off by his colleagues with much fanfare, as he undertakes the journey to Her Majesty's retreat at Benares and the invitation to form a new government.

A brief summation of the Prime Minister's principal concerns and ambitions follows:

• of paramount importance, that the English speaking peoples of the Cape Colony, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada be rescued, reclaimed, or otherwise restored to Imperial authority;
  • that other, more peripheral possessions of the Empire which may be easily re-established are done so as soon as effectively achievable;
  • that the Royal Navy and the Royal Geographical Society organise an expedition to the Home Islands when weather permits such a voyage, to ascertain their fate and estimate material requirements for recolonisation;
  • that a Parliamentary Commission be formed to investigate the relocation of the Indian capital to Bombay, in light of Calcutta's deleterious and malarial climate;
  • that the loyal Martial Races of India be justly rewarded for their invaluable and valorous service in suppression of the Mutiny;
  • and finally that the North-West Frontier be permanently secured against the threat of further Afghan incursions.

Untitled-3.png

Reinforcements Bound for the Front

Trains departed from New Luebeck, packed with reinforcements for the re-constituted 4. Armee, which had borne considerable casualties in the invasion of Mozambique and the ensuing battles for the interior of the province. The hardened veterans that comprise the backbone of the formation will serve as mentors and leaders for the enlisted soldiers, made up of ethnic Germans and Askari natives formed into feldkompagnies. Generalfeldmarschall von Waldersee has proclaimed that the expedition will continue and increased pressure will be poured upon the enemy lines at the Ligonha River. Spirits were high amongst the men, especially within the corps of fresh recruits, who seemed eager to see their first action and prove themselves for the Kaiserreich.

Spend 2IP towards the creation of a fourth army.

Expedition to Mozambique

The Chief of the General Staff has spent the past weeks in meetings with the with his staff, the Reichskanzler and delivering updates on the conflict in southern Africa to the Kaiser. With the recent additions to the Reichsheer being used to bolster the ranks of the depleted 4. Armee, he believes that the necessary manpower is present to pacify the remainder of the native population in that province. Generalfeldmarschall von Waldersee encountered several stinging rebukes from members of the Reichstag, but responded to these accusations with reassurances and confidence in the abilities of his senior officers. Quietly however, he named a new chief of operations and overall commander for the offensive, one General Alfred von Schlieffen.

Invade the province of Mozambique with four armies.

Message from the Admiralty

Work continues to bring the Hochseeflotte, High Seas Fleet, to active service. Tradesmen and crews labour continuously in various ports across the coast to retrofit or construct ships of the line. In some cases, for some of the smaller vessels, sea trials have already begun. Prince Heinrich, appointed commander of the fleet, has voiced his hopes that the entire entity can put to sea by 1905, when its full complement of warships should be completed. The Kaiser, while touring some of the larger naval stations in Somalia, was overheard to share and affirm those aspirations. Undoubtedly, that timeline will be dependent on progression with the current campaign on land. Nonetheless, the Kaiser is expected to make a declaration regarding his intentions for the Kaiserliche Marine by the turn of the century and it is widely believed that they will be used to spearhead a return to Europe.

Spend 1IP towards the creation of a Fleet (2/4).