• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Confederate States of Central America

640px-Confederate_National_Flag_since_Mar_4_1865.svg.png

peshawar-1.png

250px-JubalSEarlyVignettep149crop.jpg

President Jubal Early

While the American authorities were generally unable or unwilling to organize mass evacuations in the wake of the Fall, a collection of wealthy and powerful Southerners organized an evacuation plan of their own. Largely led by former Confederates and members of secret societies like the Ku Klux Klan and Knights of the Golden Circle, the Walker League armed and funded several expeditions of filibusters to invade Central American republics. Military successes and a rapidly deteriorating situation in the South led to a wave of immigrants, numbering into the hundreds of thousands.

The military governments formed by the filibusters formed the Second Confederacy in 1879, with a Constitution granting extensive rights to its citizens, while also strictly limiting citizenship to the white, English-speaking population. Accustomed to oppression by oligarchic republics, the majority of the native population has seen their lives change remarkably little thus far, but that is likely to change as the New Confederates establish their dominance in the future.

The Californios
OOC: I'd like the California region if possible. I have neither the time nor the ability currently to edit that map. It would extend south to Baja California and East to the nation of Utah. I dont care what color you choose for it.

My people have no flag.

The Californios are not a nation. They are a people. They are the outcasts, the ones who decided to travel where others dared not to. Settling in what used to be California, holds sprang up like blades of grass across a field of near-virgin soil. These formed loose alliances with each other, until eventually their population and technology levels reached a point where consolidation was possible- if not likely.

This changed when Miguel Francisco inherited Franciscohold- previously known as San Francisco. This once great city had become a rabble of whorehouses and thieves within moldy walls and stony farmland. Francisco, a master negotiator, forged this ruin into a shining city on a hill, with no small help from neighboring holds. Pledging his loyalty for help, he instead earned the love of his indebtors; without spilling a drop of blood, he brought all these diverse people under one banner. Then- instead of forming a dictatorship as a lesser man would, or a theocracy as any other pious man would- Francisco created a completely new goverment: a Meritanarchy.

Those who are visibly the best of society make decisions for the advancement of the Californios as a whole, but within the society each name, each hold decides for itself how to govern. They pledge allegience to no banner but themselves, and loyalty to no man but God. If a foreigner invades, they defend each other- but they are just as likely to come to blows over a yards' disagreement on two maps. This unique people have a singular situation which allows for wonderous imaginations, and this more than compensates for any disadvantage to the lacking of a central government. The future is in the palm of their hands. Our hands.

-A.W.

OOC: I think I struck a fair balance between the canon of the book, with the many minor states of the region, and my personal flavor. This seems like it will be a fun one.

Capital
The Californios have no capital, but the Visible Best meet in Franciscohold.

Government
Meritanarchy- see flavor text above. The visible best act for the betterment of the whole.

Visible Best
Miguel Francisco- Chief among Equals. 37 years old. A great diplomat and a natural leader. The creator of this united people.
Shawn Marian- General among Equals. 55 years old. A great tactician and philosopher. His high squeaky voice is mostly ignored due to his massive size.
Jack O'Neill- Banker among Equals. 20 years old. A great economist and planner. His slight frame contains the arching plans for every hold of the Californios.
Isabella Moore- Lady among Equals. 22 years old. A great entertainer and entrepeneur. She runs all entertainment programs in the holds, and is not afraid to use her considerable charm.
Otto Schmidt- Thinker among Equals. 31 years old. A great thinker and inventor. His wacky attitude is balanced only by his ancestral sense for order.

Last edited:
Deaghaidh said:
About navies: As I understand the current rules, it would take ten years to sail from Japan to California.* Which is deranged.

I understand that you want to keep fleets from being overpowered, so how about fleets can move to any sea zone in one turn (which represents 5 years) BUT you can only move troops to provinces within one or two (depending on tech) sea zones of a friendly port.* Also, if a province isn't within that range you can't collect IP from it.* Hostile fleets can cut these supply lines.

This would require players to either seize naval bases or negotiate access, and focus on defending key sea lanes.
I will confess that I had considered making the naval system more complex, before deciding that it would probably just increase the workload too much for too little gain. With your suggestion, however, my laziness looks fairly shameful. :p

I like your system, and we shall use it! Thank you, again, for these kinds of contributions.

PLEASE READ: THIS POST CONTAINS ADDITIONS TO THE ORIGINAL RULES

I wrote this section last, and forgot to include it in the original post:

Orders:
  • All orders will be either private messaged to me or posted in this thread, in bold red text. The subject line of private messages should read: "Orders for [nation name]".
  • You must announce orders for military movements in this thread. Owing to the scale of the game, there is no tactical surprise; each turn represents up to five years of fighting.
  • Construction or research, if you wish them to remain private, may be private messaged. If you choose to do this, include your military orders in the PM as well as posting them publicly.
  • Treaties may be kept secret; if you wish to use an access treaty for the purpose of normally impossible movements, it must either be public or confirmed to me by both signatories through private messages.
  • You may update your orders at any time before I have posted the turn results...you may especially feel compelled to reconsider orders if you find yourself in an unexpected war. Again, though, if done after the 24hr warning has elapsed, I do not guarantee their inclusion.
  • Remember that there are no 'sneak attacks' on full nations. You must post a public declaration of war in this thread, or I will not process any attacks upon another player. You will face the GM's wrath if you attempt to game the system by posting declarations of war one minute before the expiration of the order deadline.
  • Expenditures towards all things may be banked, as in an investment. Research and Army, Navy, and Air Wing construction may take place over multiple turns. You will lose any IP left unspent; always invest odd points.
  • Do not forget that you can utilise constructed units in the turn of their completion.

Revisions, with thanks to Hyzhenhok and Deaghaidh:

All territories provide an income of 1 Industrial Point per turn, with the exception of your starting area. Your Capital territory provides an additional bonus of +1IP; you therefore start the game with 2IP to spend.

Navies may move to any Sea Zone in a turn, but you may only use them to provide transport for invading Armies within 1 Sea Zone of a friendly port. This may be either a territory you own, or that of another nation with which you have secured a coaling station agreement. Additionally, provinces lacking a land connection to your capital may only provide IP income if they are within this range of a friendly port. Hostile fleets may blockade these supply lines!

The Ironclads technology raises this range to 2 Sea Zones, and Battleships now provides +25% to combat rolls.

This sounds good. A few questions:
1. When do we "officially" begin? Are you waiting for a certain number of players?
2. What are the territories? Because my land is about half the size of Utah's. EDIT: They are those borders on the map right? If so, the map will most likely disappear under color very quickly.
3. Is it possible to stab in the back from treaties? If I agree to a ten year right of passage agreement, can the other player declare war and then destroy my units after 5 years? If so, is there any repercussions?

Here is updated map. Gosh, Americas is going to be busy :)

scaled.php

OOC: I was thinking on this, should I switch one more time? I've been familiarizing myself with the world of the book and it seems like there are a few "canon" powers that should be represented (France Outremer, Damascus Caliphate, Egypt, Russia).

madtemplar0 said:
This sounds good. A few questions:
1. When do we "officially" begin? Are you waiting for a certain number of players?
2. What are the territories? Because my land is about half the size of Utah's. EDIT: They are those borders on the map right? If so, the map will most likely disappear under color very quickly.
3. Is it possible to stab in the back from treaties? If I agree to a ten year right of passage agreement, can the other player declare war and then destroy my units after 5 years? If so, is there any repercussions?
1) I was originally planning on beginning after 10 players had enlisted, but I am not really satisfied with the empty hole from Algeria to Bengal and Constantinople to Mombasa. I will wait until Sunday to open the game officially, unless I'm satisfied before that by new entrants.

2) I have taken some measures to prevent the unrealistic, zergling-paced expansion of the last Imperium Offtopicum. I think the players will all quickly learn that methodical conquest and long-term diplomacy will be the key here.

3) Mechanically speaking, declarations of war automatically annul any rights of passage granted by treaty. Treaties themselves have no meaning to me; I operate under instructions from the player when applying effects of treaties. Repercussions to a treaty violation would be player driven, unless the treaty was cancelled at the final hour in a way obviously designed to prevent the other signatory from responding accordingly. The court of international opinion will try the perfidious, and if the agreement was never public...that is the danger of secret treaties!

Deaghaidh said:
OOC: I was thinking on this, should I switch one more time?* I've been familiarizing myself with the world of the book and it seems like there are a few "canon" powers that should be represented (France Outremer, Damascus Caliphate, Egypt, Russia).
Other than the Raj, I don't necessarily consider it a requirement that we have the canon powers. (What would The Peshawar Lancers be without the Empire? Luckily we have Lord Haldane, so as long as he continues to breath we'll have someone to play Britain in any game, forever. :p )

Please feel free to play any of the canon nations, or a creation of your own in that region, should the Americas be looking too packed.

OOC: Here's another question: do people live forever? Or should I change my leaders every 5 turns or so?

France-Outre-Mer

500px-Imperial_Standard_of_Napol%C3%A9on_III.svg.png

outremer.png

Leader: Emperor Napoleon IV
Capitol: Algiers

The Third Republic disintegrated in the fall. With most of the country's political and economic leaders killed when Paris was destroyed, there was no authority figure to rally the surviving French and marshal their resources. Local leaders tried their best to establish order, ration supplies and care for survivors, but the situation in the North and West of France deteriorated rapidly.

Three weeks after the fall a charismatic leader arrived in Marseille, a young man of action and vision. He emerged as a unifying figure that the beleagured and frightened people of southern France could rally around. He was Napoléon Eugène Louis Jean Joseph Bonaparte, the exiled Prince Imperial. And he had a plan.

473px-Prince_Imp%C3%A9rial_juin_1878.jpg

Emperor Napoleon IV

Napoleon had been living in exile in Britain. Thus his father's exile had turned out to be the salvation of the Bonaparte dynasty. The Fall had obliterated the Republic and killed or scattered the remaining claimants of France's other former ruling dynasties. But Bonaparte had not only survived, but through sympathetic members of the British administration he was one of the few who heard the grim forecasts of the British scientific establishment.

Napoleon organized the resources of the south of France. Like the British, he rationed resources to buy time to evacuate the French cultural elite, military and key economic resources to the French colony of Algeria. Altogether 1.8 million French were evacuated to France-Outre-Mer before the Southern ports were finally overwhelmed.

Now based out of Algiers, the Emperor advocates a reunification of the French diaspora and support for other European states in danger of following metropolitan France into darkness. Even before his rise to power, Napoleon IV was linked romantically with the Spanish InfantaMaria, and the prospect of a dynastic union has been raised.

A brief introduction to France-Outre-Mer

Franco-British Agreement on the Suez Canal

The Imperial Family

France in La Belle Époque

Last edited:
Tannermann-Bigsby Trade Company
Tannermann Company

Leader:
Captain Huxley
Capital: Euthenia, Indonesia

The fall was a paralysing event, even in the south. British National Edward Huxley was just a ships captain in the Anglo-German Tannermann-Bigby trade company. After the fall, he and the ships of the Company were stranded from civilisation. Some went back to Britain to help with the relocation of the Empire's elite, but most didn't know how to go further, and drifted aimlessly through the South China Sea. They had been saving up money to build a life for themselves back home, what was the point working miles from civilisation when there was no civilisation to return to?

Crises have a way of testing the mettle of a man. Before the fall Huxley was unexceptional, a middle aged ship captain who was well liked by his crew, but after the fall, Huxley became a light in the darkness. Many of those other ships of the Tannermann fleet joined him and banded together in a fleet, searching for supplies and fresh crew. Many more ended up joining him, Captains from other European trading companies and even some Dutch warships. It wasn't long after the fall did Huxley command the largest fleet in the region. Although he was the "commodore" of the fleet, the men just called him "the captain". The captain would lead them forward, the captain would bring them home.

Huxley finally would set down a new city in the Indonesian island chain, Euthenia, after the Greek God of Prosperity. The Captain had made the men of the fleet rich by sticking to his strengths: Shipping Cargo. It was not long before Euthenia became a haven of free trade and free commerce, where a man could make his fortune and find adventure. It was this spirit that bolstered the ranks of the Tannermann-Bigby Trade Company from a powerful collection of merchants to a real competitor on the global scale.

OOC: I don't have Graphics editing right now though.

I'm considering joining, but I don't know what in Oblivion one of these 'game' things is. How does it work? Does the game master own a modded computer game or something? Is it all played by PM?

I'm considering joining, but I don't know what in Oblivion one of these 'game' things is. How does it work? Does the game master own a modded computer game or something? Is it all played by PM?

OOC: Last time orders were sent by PM to the gamemaster, who calculated the results. As I read the rules this time more of it will be done in the thread itself. Otherwise I believe it's mostly made up as we go.

Edit: Also I wouldn't be at all displeased if you decided to take up one of my discarded states. I think they were both good ideas RP-wise.

A question: is it possible to use Culture Points to bring neutral territories into our state? For example, as I understood it in the books France-Outre-Mer absorbed what was left of Spain and its African colonies. Could I maybe do so via politics and a dynastic marriage? Could I rally the other surviving French colonies to the new Emperor's banner? Or do I have no choice but to do so with the bayonet?

Edit: Also I wouldn't be at all displeased if you decided to take up one of my discarded states. I think they were both good ideas RP-wise.

I was thinking of being Punjab or something, led by Duleep Singh.

OOC: So, Armies cost 2 IP, Navies cost 4 IP. If we loose our opening battles, what then? Better yet there are multiple Island nations. Without a navy, expansion is completely impossible, and even if they started with one navy, any land invasion would be hard fought because they would likely start with one less army to comphensate for their navy.

OOC: So, Armies cost 2 IP, Navies cost 4 IP. If we loose our opening battles, what then? Better yet there are multiple Island nations. Without a navy, expansion is completely impossible, and even if they started with one navy, any land invasion would be hard fought because they would likely start with one less army to comphensate for their navy.

OOC:You start with two IC in capital regions and you can invest in armies and fleets across multiple turns. Also My troops are so going to walk across the Ice to invade Korea attacks by walking across Ice have so happened in the real world so why not here.

OOC:You start with two IC in capital regions and you can invest in armies and fleets across multiple turns. Also My troops are so going to walk across the Ice to invade Korea attacks by walking across Ice have so happened in the real world so why not here.

Seems a bit unfair, still, when you consider that these games thrive on exponential returns of IP. This means an island nation will not be able to invade until turn 2, where most other countries will have 150%-200% income, which they can multiply in further turns.

Island nations should get a free navy.

I was thinking of being Punjab or something, led by Duleep Singh.

The Sikhs, as much as any other martial race, have always proven faithful to the Raj. It is rather not suggested that they desert us in the midst of this Second Mutiny... :eek:

Also, having devoured the novel, I can confirm that not even Britain was able to afford a naval expedition back to the Home Islands before 1900. No nation should start with naval projection abilities, though they could have one by Turn 2 if they focus every IP to that effect; furthermore, it certainly sounds like they are not automatically left behind like in the previous Imperium. First turn expansion sounds like a bloody massive gamble.