• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Because your orders contain requests to buy armies with CP, Thandros and Madtemplar may want to reconsider your moves. If not I'll just process everything but those parts.

Turn time will get longer as we play and diplomacy needs to be conducted, but I think people will lose interest if it takes a week+ to process these really early game moves.

Technically I should call the 24hr warning. I'll let you all weigh in as to whether you want more time.

I really have no time right now, but I would like to use 2 IP to build an army, then use 3 CP to finish the navy, consider it RP as part of the navy coming from Texas; then invade the Cuba region, and invest 1 CP as 2 IP in Army.
If this is not possible, then use 2 IP to finish navy and use my 3 armies to attack Cuba, and invest 4 CP as 8 IP in Army.

masthead1887.png

PATHAN HORDE POURS DOWN KHYBER PASS!

This publication repeats calls to remain calm, and reminds readers to report to their local Refugee Affairs Office if seeking to enlist in the Imperial Army.

Her Majesty's Government confirms to the Editor of this publication that an estimated 300,000 Pathans, perhaps the entire surviving Afghan nation, have overwhelmed defensive fortifications in the Khyber Pass and crossed into India. Their aim needs no speculation, and this sentiment has been lent credence by unconfirmed, but ubiquitous, reports of devastation all throughout the North-West Frontier. An area far from pacified even before present events, both Mutineers and loyal subjects alike have found themselves the victim of assaults from this ravenous horde; perhaps to the small relief of local inhabitants, the ongoing campaign of Field Marshal Wolseley has concentrated the bulk of British military strength in such a proximity that it may now be quickly applied against the new threat. Indeed Sir Samuel Browne, who had undertaken the opening stages of a punitive expedition against the Pathans shortly before the Fall, has already detached a respectable force from Wolseley's column in order to block a movement in force down the Grand Trunk Road. Sir Garnet's own plans to relieve the besieged Delhi Residency have been thrown into chaos, and it appears exceedingly likely that he will be called away to first send off the Afghans.

jezzailsmalelr.png

Afghan raiders entrenched in a sungha, or rifle pit, near Avantipur; as captured by A.E. Mason.

Those Sikh armies tasked with securing the Punjab and Kashmir were closest to affected areas, and were reportedly the first organised resistance to the Pathan host. While the stalwart character of the Sikh race remains beyond question, it is also reported that they have experienced horrific losses among both the forces of Maharajah Singh and civilian communities close to the Afghan frontier; this publication knows that they would ask no sympathy, but offers it none the less. The Foreign Office has issued a bulletin warning all nearby populations, British or otherwise, against the possibility of surrender to the marauders: following precedent set during the First Afghan War, non-Muslim captives are likely to be castrated, and Britons in particular to be drowned by having their mouths forced open and urinated into by Pathan women. Though wielding at best only flintlock 'jezzail' muskets, and often in fact only crude medieval swords, civilians are urged to retreat east in the face of attack, until military forces may converge upon the horde.

News that the Ali Masjid fort had fallen was received with a furious uproar in Parliament, and many in the opposition have questioned why ostensibly little had been done to prepare for this eventuality. Lord Salisbury has responded to criticism by offering that, while vague information was available suggesting the Afghan highlands to be in the grip of a permanent winter, the Mutiny remained the primary and perhaps only possible concern of the government. The Prime Minister, in concluding his despondent speech to the Commons, offered that Britons might only now "Trust in the flag." Liberal leader Joseph Chamberlain retorted that the Empire might instead "Trust in the Martini-Henry rifle," and demanded that all sailors be called into labour service for the munitions industry. "Industry is the watchword of our Empire;" Chamberlain submitted, "it is our sword and our shield. This Conservative administration and its land confiscations would make of us an empire of antique aristocrats - of White Mughals and our serfs. An acquaintance of mine, in what seemed our darkest hour, once wrote that this Empire would go forward. Forward, to a future of Progress - of science and industry. We will indeed go forward, and forward lies victory. We must have more rifles, more artillery, more locomotives, more steam-ships; in short, Your Lordship: rather less of your ministry!" Amid growing discontent in Parliament, Lord Salisbury has still yet to announce a date for a new General Election.

In conclusion, the London Illustrated News offers its thoughts and prayers, to any deity who will listen, for those now marching to confront the barbarous Afghan. May God Save the Queen and protect the Empire!

Last edited:
Debating getting involved with this game, if there are any openings.

Is the game active enough?

Debating getting involved with this game, if there are any openings.

Is the game active enough?

Yes.

Southern and Central Africa seem to be empty do to inactivity/withdrawal, though, so there's a nice wide-open area for you to start in there.

I'm assuming that I should wait until this last turn has been processed, before I mistakenly assume control of some soon-to-be-subjugated part of the world accidentally?

I'm assuming that I should wait until this last turn has been processed, before I mistakenly assume control of some soon-to-be-subjugated part of the world accidentally?

As all military orders must be published in this thread, if you have the patience for it you should be able to figure out somewhere safe to start. Note that German East Africa and South Africa are currently ghost nations.

It's probably in your interest to claim a country and send in orders to build an army for this turn ends. ;)

Good advice. Been through the thread now, so I will assume control of German East Africa.

I will renovate the embassy and make a more detailed character post, but for now, if GBIT is willing, if he can process orders for creating a fourth army (believe there are three, currently) and attack Somalia.

I'm still here, my order still stands, and tomorrow I'll fill in my missing RP posts, just been busy.

Ostafrikanische Kaiserreich

320px-Flag_of_the_German_East_Africa_Company.svg.png

2Kk2u.png

200px-Imperial_Coat_of_arms_of_Germany_%281889%E2%80%931918%29.svg.png
Coat_of_arms_of_German_East_Africa.png

Head of State: Kaiser Friedrich Wilhelm Viktor Albrecht von Preußen (Kaiser Wilhelm II)
Wilhelm Friedrich Ludwig (Wilhelm I - Deceased 1885)

Wilhelm_II%2C_German_Emperor%2C_by_Russell_%26_Sons%2C_c1890.jpg

Head of Government: Leo von Caprivi, Reichskanzler
Otto von Bismarck (Replaced 1890)

Currency: Mark

Capital: New Luebeck, formerly named Bagamoyo

German East Africa, known as Deutsch-Ostafrika, had always seemed such a trifling matter to Berlin. The subsidies that were provided for the considerable territory on the east coast of the African continent were colossal and the profits minimal. While rubber and coffee plants were grown, mines established and hundreds of commercial shipping vessels arrived and departed yearly, it was always an afterthought when it came to the government. Competing with the other powers on the European continent itself had always been a larger priority for Germany, since its inception.

Its importance and fortunes changed considerably in 1878.

The initial wave of celestial objects that rained down upon the major cities of Germany was catastrophic. Within hours, it was obvious that the situation was dire. Communications abroad and main diplomatic channels in the capital were severed, as widespread fires gripped an already broken Berlin, which along with Potsdam, Frankfurt and Magdeburg, had suffered heavily. A mass exodus of survivors initially fled into the countryside, crowding the railways, roadways and river systems with human suffering. The infrastructure, as advanced as it was, virtually collapsed in the first month, as the main hubs had been destroyed or overrun with refugees. Martial law was established in the west and east, where the devastation was lessened. The royal family and heads of government had been visiting Danzig at the time, which escaped the ordeal initially. The strong work ethic and discipline of the nation, along with a sizeable military, helped restore some semblance of order by 1879.

That was of course, before the dissolution of neighbouring governments and borders. Russians, Poles, Frenchmen, all eager to seek salvation, swept into Germany. The Prussian provinces, Pommern and Posen could not handle the influx. The borders were closed, but the literal wave of humanity could not be stopped. And with the displaced persons came starvation. And disease. Millions more perished.

The government moved to Stralsund, then Rostock, always careful to avoid the interior. But as the winter came and technically went, the crops refused to grow again and hope began to fade.

In 1880, a truly momentous decision had been made to relocate as many people as possible to East Africa. The Kaiserliche Marine evacuated the Kaiser and his immediate family, as well as the most powerful ministers, the Reichskanzler, high-ranking officers and military personnel. Civilian charters bore as many people as possible and it was a miracle that as many escaped as they did. At least one million Germans survived ‘The Fall’ and made their new homes in Africa. The Kaiser’s own son, Frederick, died several days before reaching landfall at the capital city formerly known as Bagamoyo, later renamed New Luebeck.

In 1885, following a disastrous attempt at territory expansion into the Congo, Kaiser Wilhelm I succumbed to old age and as some believe, dementia. Even the normally robust Otto von Bismarck was emotionally shattered by the realization that the German people were vulnerable in their new empire.

With Wilhelm II assuming the title of Kaiser following the death of his grandfather, the fate of the newly minted Ostafrikansche Kaiserreich was unknown.

Untitled-4.png

Der Exodus

Last edited:
Untitled-3.png

An Empire in Mourning

As the church bells tolled across the capital and into the country, the entire population knew the dark tidings they brought. Having slipped into seclusion following the disastrous foray of the Kaiserlich Deutsches Heer into the territory of the Congo, the health of the 85 year old Kaiser worsened significantly. Having survived the destruction of 'Der Vaterland' and subsequently leading the German people into Ost-Afrika to rebuild, the Kaiser oversaw the rejuevenation of a demoralized population. He had made his last public appearance only a week after his birthday, with his grandson, Frederick Wilhelm, at his side. His frail body, wracked by age and an unyielding cough, retired to the imperial residence for a final time. On 17 March 1885, Kaiser Wilhelm I passed away peacefully in his sleep, finally able to escape the torment that had plagued him.

He will be remember as a true hero of the people, a father to all.

435px-Kaiser_Wilhelm_I._.JPG

TURN THREE - 1890

peshawarturn1890.png

Military News fresh from the Wire:

Twelfth House vs Levant:

3 Armies vs 3 Native Armies

1* 3 Native victory
4* 2** Twelfth House victory
7* 3 Twelfth House victory
3* 6* Native victory
6* 7* Native victory

Natives repulse invasion!
No casualties.

British Raj vs North-West India:

4 Armies vs 3 Native Armies

8* 10*** Native victory
4* 2** British victory
10* 7** British victory
5* 9*** Native victory
5* 2** British victory

British Raj conquers North-West India!
No casualties.

France-Outre-Mer vs West Africa:

4 Armies vs 5 Native Armies

3* 10*** Native victory
3* 1** French victory
10* 4** French victory
3* 4* Native victory
9* 9** Draw
3* 8*** Native victory
7* 4** French victory
6* 7*** Native victory

No casualties.

Bigsby Trade Co. vs Philippines:

2 Armies vs 3 Native Armies

4* 5*** Native victory (Bigsby Army destroyed!)
4* 8*** Native victory

Casualties: One Army for Bigsby Trade Co

California vs Caribbean:

3 Armies vs 6 Native Armies

3* 9*** Native victory
2* 7*** Native victory (Californian army destroyed!)
4* 5*** Native victory

Casualties: One Army for Californios

Japan. vs Central China:

2 Armies vs* 3 Native Armies

10* 7** Japanese victory
3* 3** Draw
7* 3** Japanese victory
8* 5*** Native victory
5* 5** Draw
9* 5** Japanese victory

Japan conquers Central China!
No casualties.

Colombia vs* Gran Chaco:

3 Armies vs 6 Native Armies

4* 8*** Native victory
2* 9*** Native victory
2* 2** Draw
7* 8*** Native victory

No casualties.

Germany East Africa vs Abyssinia:

4 Armies vs* 1 Native Army

3* 8*** Native victory (German army destroyed!)
4* 1** German victory

Germany conquers Abyssinia!
Casualties: One Army for German East Africa.

Welcome DonCossack, and as always I'll PM out culture points.

Welcome DonCossack, and as always I'll PM out culture points.

OOC: So may I assume you invested those 4 CP in Army?

From diaries of Hamilton Bower (British military officer)

Part IV

Sadly the relationship between the Kingdom of Mongolia and British come to new low with "North-East India Incident". The Mongolian envoys were visiting North-East India to know more about their new neighbors. But communication with them lost when British Raj invaded North-East India. Some say British Raj executed them, some say they are killed in the cross-fire. Anyway one of my friends in government position warned me, "It is most likely you will be expelled in next 48 hours".

Last edited:
TSUNAMI FROM THE EAST
It is my dire duty to report the tragic loss of thousands of Californian lives. Shawn Marian led our brave men into the Cuban jungles, and a third of them never returned. The natives, turned half-cannibal, survived the Fall with what must be a deal with the devil, for the monsters fought with a demonic ferocity the likes of which never before seen on this earth. The only thing standing between us and eternal damnation were the brave men of the First, Second, and Third Divisions, with the First Division sacrificing itself to preserve the rest of us. Perhaps matched in melancholy only by the Charge of the Light Brigade, may the Havana Massacre be forever held in our hearts. Marian charged the beaches bravely, but the natives outnumbered his forces two to one, and their tactical advantage combined with their numerical advantage led to the total annihilation of the first men on the beaches, and the utter defeat of the rest. In the chaos of retreat, Marian took several bullets through various limbs, but survived to lead his men home, broken if not quite dead.

A memorial service is being held in Franciscohold next Friday, to honor the sacrifice of the First Division- now called the Archangels- and their protection of kin and country with life and limb. Two thousand candles shall be lit and sent on rafts into the sea, released from the very ships which took our men to hell. All are welcome to come stand vigil.

VISIBLE BEST REASSESS PLANS
After the terrible defeat in the Caribbean, the VB Council has decided to prevent the conquering of that Gehenna. Instead, Our efforts shall be invested in raising a Fourth Division to replace the First, and to take these men to a less nightmarish land, the land of Hawaii. Shawn Marian shall lead this host as he did the previous, and may God's warmth carry us through this mission as He was unable to do through that valley of death in the east.

MARRIAGE DECLARED
In spite of the terrible events which have unfurled this past month, hope may be found on every corner in California. A quintessential example of this is the recent announcement of the engagement of Isabella Moore to Jack O'Neill. May their children bless the land as the children of Miguel Francisco and his wife Anne certainly shall. A public wedding is planned to be held in Saint Mary's Cathedral in two months. Feel free to show your gratitude to our Visible Best at this event.

-A.W.

There are over fifty thousand residents in Nortehold now. They arrived on foot and on horseback, from the south as predicted. With them came able-bodied men to man the front lines, notably Fort Rednorth. Other forts are being built along the frontier, inching us closer to the heart of the land. As the ice continues to withdraw, perhaps the land shall even be suitable for resettlement sometime in the next century, surpassing all expectations. But the armies will need to be taken from their hapless pursuits across the seas and put to work doing something useful. Hawaiian Pineapples are sweet, but virgin earth is sweeter still.

Grant was celebrating yet another birthday, and it was nearly time to end his pursuits in the military. He had a woman waiting for him in the Hold, and a warm fire with a warmer bowl of soup. A woman and a dog were all he really needed, but they were still years away. For now, he still manned the battlements. Raids came and went, with each taking its toll on the Cannibals and the Hold; the former weakened, the latter grew more confident. Rednorth, once so clean, is now just another dirty, squeaky old landmark- if at least twice as large as the rest.

Grant resting in front of his barracks.

MIGUEL FRANCISCO

STATUS REPORT: CALIFORNIA​

POPULATION DE LAST CENSUS: 326,012 POPULATION GROWS STEADILY AS FAMILIES CONTINUE TO GROW STOP MEDIAN AGE OF POPULATION ESTIMATED AT TWENTY FIVE STOP AVERAGE FAMILY SIZE ESTIMATED AT SIX STOP ETHIC BACKGROUND ESTIMATES: 60% CAUCASIAN 20% LATINO 15% ORIENTAL 5% AFRICAN RELIGION ESTIMATES: 70% CATHOLIC 20% VARIOUS PROTESTANT 5% BAPTIST 1% JEWISH 4% MORMON POPULARITY OF VB COUNCIL 90% PRO 10% CON NOTE: MOST DISORDER ON EASTERN BORDER WHERE MORMONS WERE ALLOWED TO SETTLE, ARE PEACEFUL SO IGNORE STOP

MILITARY CAPACITY CONTINUES TO GROW STOP LOSS OF FIRST DIVISION HORRIFIC BUT ALLOWS DISPLAY OF RECRUITMENT CAPABILITIES STOP ESTIMATED MILITARY SUITABLE MEN 80,000 STOP CURRENT DIVISIONS: 2 CURRENT ENLISTED: 8,000 CURRENT FORTS: 4 NOTE: REDNORTH HOLDS NORTHERN BORDER, CONTINUES TO GROW IN POWER STOP NOTE: CANNIBAL RAIDS LOSING POWER BUT STILL GREAT THREAT, SUGGESTED RAISE MORE GUARDS STOP

FACTORIES CONTINUE TO GROW IN HOLDS STOP NORTEHOLD BEGINS CONSTRUCTION OF NORTECO IN TWO WEEKS STOP INDUSTRY MUST BE PRIORITY STOP RAILROADS EXPAND, STANFORD CONTINUES TO SPREAD CAPABILITIES STOP TELEGRAM WIRES EXPECTED TO BE FULLY LAID BY END OF YEAR STOP

MOORE AND O'NEILL TO WED STOP INDICATE WHAT SHALL BE GIVEN AS GIFT BEFORE NEXT MEETING STOP NO NEWS FROM UTAH STOP SOURCES TELL OF EXPANDING EMPIRES IN THE SOUTH AND WEST ACROSS THE SEAS STOP POSSIBLY EXPLORE TREATY CAPABILITIES STOP

DOMINIC CALARIO

OOC: I can sorta-edit now! I am still terrible at paint/photoshop, but I will try to use images from now on. Here's my Hawaii plans:

Last edited:
Untitled-3.png

The Coronation of Kaiser Wilhelm II

Untitled1.png

The Coronation

Following the unfortunate passing of his grandfather, the late Wilhelm I, Friedrich Wilhelm Viktor Albrecht von Preußen was coronated as Kaiser Wilhelm II in the New Luebeck on 19 March 1885. Marked by the sombre overtones of the state funeral from the previous day, the Kaiser displayed great poise and stood as a pillar of strength to a seemingly deflated population. He pronounced his intentions to follow in the footsteps of his forebearers and seek to restore the prosperity and power of the Kaiserreich, establishing its dominance over Ost-Afrika and the continent. He implored his subjects and countrymen to not lose faith in their quest, remarking that their journey from Europe was part of their modern day 'Exodus' and likened the German struggles to that of the Old Testament. The Kaiser confirmed his belief in the strong leadership provided by the Reichskanzler, Otto von Bismarck and the Generalfeldmarschall von Moltke.

It was announced that early into his reign, he would alter the objectives of German expansion in Africa from the former Belgian colonies in the Congo, to the coastal province of Abyssinia, which would increase potential trade routes should they open in the future, provide access to the Red Sea and enlarge the portion of arable land under German control in the region.

Beyond the visible pomp and pageantry was a genuine feeling of excitement and national pride from an anxious populace. As the Kaiser swept down the main thoroughfares amidst his personal staff, the throngs of citizens lining the procession route cheered and clapped. This was the man who could lead them to superiority once more.

Untitled-5.png

Honour Guards

The Invasion of Abyssinia

In 1887, four armies under the overall command of Generalfeldmarschall Helmuth von Moltke crossed the northern boundaries of Ost-Afrika with the intention of annexing the region known as Abyssinia. Initially, they faced little resistance as small groups of indigenous communities broke in the face of the professional Reichsheer. The lessons of the campaign in the Congo were not lost upon the commanders or their soldiers. Despite the irregular nature of the native tribes and their lack of formal training, officers were better prepared for the realities of jungle, desert and bush warfare which had seemed so strange only several years previous.

The main weight of the offensive centered around the march north to the regional capital of Addis Ababa and the seizure of ports on the Red Sea. While this happened, an independent army struck out along the coast of the Indian Ocean, quickly surrounding and overwhelming the limited defenders of Mogadishu. However, resistance began to intensify as the Reichsheer began to approach Addis Ababa. The Dervish clans solidified under the leadership of Mohammed Abdullah Hassan, a charismatic and religious fanatic who solidified the various sultanates under the Dervish State. Though outnumbered, the native warriors stood fast in the shadow of their capital and bore the brunt of the German attack.

sudatenland.jpg

The Charge

In mid-1888, at a major crossing of the Awash River, south of Addis Ababa, the Dervishes put up a fevered fight and repulsed the oncoming army. Having suffered significant casualties, the Germans sought to dislodge the natives through superior firepower and pounded their positions mercilessly overnight, before getting a foothold across the river. For several days, the two sides fought a pitched struggle, now known as the Battle of the Awash River, leading to some thousands of casualties on both sides. Finally, the Germans were able to turn the flank of the Dervishes and cut them off from the main routes to the capital. They retreated west, but were smashed by the lone army heading north to rejoin the others outside of Addis Ababa.

By 1889, any organized resistance by the Dervishes in Abyssinia had ceased. Having initially escaped the confusion of the Awash River campaign, Hassan was finally caught and hanged by German authorities at his fortress in Taleh, near the Gulf of Aden.

In 1890, Hermann von Wissmann was appointed Reichskommisar for the province of Abyssinia.​

Dear Honourable Shogun Tokugawa Yoshinobu,

With recent event in North-East India, Mongolians ready to consider the Japanese Empire alliance offer to maintain peaceful world.

Yours faithfully,

Signed by Magsarjav. /Leader of Military Council/