• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(48557)

Captain
Sep 13, 2005
Imperium Offtopicum: The Peshawar Lancers

1920210.jpg

On October 3, 1878, the first of a series of high-velocity heavenly bodies struck the earth.

The impacts continued for the next twelve hours, moving in a band from east to west and impacting at shallow angles. The first strike was close to the southern edge of Moscow; a band of further collisions swept across Europe, the last impacting 50 miles west and slightly south of Paris. Strikes were recorded as far north as the Baltic, and the southernmost fell at the head of the Adriatic.

The next impact was the largest of all, in the western Atlantic, and our finest scientific minds believe the body involved may have been up to a kilometer in diameter. Further large fragments fell all across North America, in a rather wider band than in Europe and as far west as the Rocky Mountains.

Blast damage from strikes on land was the first and most obvious consequence; millions perished in the immediate aftermath.

Hours to days later, tsunamis struck the coasts of countries all around the North Atlantic Basin. These were most severe along the Atlantic coast of North America, with wave fronts reaching as far inland as the Appalachians. In Europe, Ireland, coastal Scandinavia, and much of the Atlantic coast of France and Spain were wrecked, with loss of life in the tens of millions.

Less dramatically, and yet far more fatally, enormous amounts of particulate matter and water were ejected into the upper atmosphere. The Gulf Stream has been disrupted, and with insolation reduced by perhaps 10 percent the winter was exceptionally severe all across the northern hemisphere. The cold season lasted through April, though, even with humanity ravaged, recovery might have been possible had the next summer been even remotely normal.

It was not. By late 1879, with starvation universal, order had broken down throughout northern and central Europe. Mass migrations southward were attempted, but only to the effect that the Mediterranean coast was catastrophically overloaded.

You stand upon the dawn of the year 1880, a new decade, and indeed a new era in the history of mankind. The winter has not relented, and governments across Europe have shattered under the strain. Roving bands of cannibals now stalk the frozen, bloody ruins of once great cities. The world is changing. Has the age of Empire come to an end? Who would rise in place of the sundered European titans? Your people look to you for answers, for salvation.

How will your nation survive The Fall?

Game Rules:

House rules are nothing unusual. Be respectful, refrain from spamming or annoying other players, contact me privately if you have issues with the running of the game, I have the final say on all things, and try to enjoy yourself. :p

Now to the details.

Joining the Game:

Create a nation by downloading the world map and selecting one starting territory. Color your border in and post the new map here.

peshawar.png

Wasteland is denoted in blue. These are areas devastated by the Fall, and currently in the grip of the unnatural winter. You may not start here, but the snows will recede as the game proceeds; still, attempts to expand into Wasteland will be met with fierce resistance from cannibal bands.

Impassible territory is denoted in green. These northern territories have succumbed entirely to the unrelenting frost. You may not start or move here, though they too will eventually begin to thaw.

Ice is the Sea Zone form of Impassible areas, shown in light icy blue. They are too treacherous for your navies to navigate.

The Suez Canal lies ruined, but may perhaps be reconstructed by enterprising survivors.

Create a name, flag, and tell us about your history or institutions. How did the Fall affect your people? If you are having trouble finding inspiration, the Peshawar Lancers wikipedia page can tell you about many canon societies.

I do reserve the right to veto any nations that lower the quality of the game for others (space hamster robots), or give preference to well fleshed out nations in the case of conflicting claims.

Each nation begins with Two Armies.

Updates:

This is a turn based game. Each turn comprises 5 in game years. After receiving 50% of the orders, I will post a 24 hour warning. You can send orders after the warning period has elapsed and I have not yet posted an update, but if I've already started resolving the turn I don't guarantee that they will be included.

Economics:

Industrial Points (IP) are the basic currency of the game. All territories provide an income of 1 Industrial Point per turn, with the exception of your starting area. Your Capital territory provides an additional bonus of +1IP; you therefore start the game with 2IP to spend. There is no banking. Every turn you lose what you don't spend. It IS possible to build a navy/army in one turn and use it that turn.

Warfare:

If you declare war on an opposing nation, you are allowed to attack their holdings with your armies and their fleets with navies. Here's how both work:

Armies are NOT represented on the map. Combat is decided by RNG; each army gives you one roll (1-10), with Technology bonuses being added where relevant. Any unused armies are used to defend if attacked. Armies cost 2 IP and are used to invade enemy territory in war. Unless you have the Tanks technology, you cannot blitz territories and use them in the same turn to invade deeper into enemy territory.

Navies cost 4 IP and ARE represented on the map. You may invade an overseas territory if you move a navy into an adjacent Sea Zone. For each navy involved, you may transport 5 armies into battle. Naval combat works the same as land combat. Navies may move to any Sea Zone in a turn, but you may only use them to provide transport for invading Armies within 1 Sea Zone of a friendly port. (The Ironclads technology raises this range to 2 Sea Zones.) This may be either a territory you own, or that of another nation with which you have secured a coaling station agreement. Additionally, provinces lacking a land connection to your capital may only provide IP income if they are within this range of a friendly port. Hostile fleets may blockade these supply lines!

Air Wings cost 6 IP and are stacked in a national pool, like armies. In times of war, they can invade any territory up to 2 provinces away from your borders, and can support armies in battles. If two opposing sides of a battle contain Air Wings, they will engage each other first and fight until one side is defeated. The victorious Air Wings, if attacking in concert with land units, will add an automatic +2 to combat rolls for an Army.

Role Playing:

Role Playing is the essence of the game; it’s how your nation develops. It’s how alliances are formed and broken, wars begin, and the real fun is had. Role Playing is very encouraged: feel free to inhabit your nation with whoever or whatever you want, provided it fits with the setting and the etiquette listed above. To that end, Role Playing is the only way to accrue Culture Points (CP). I will award players CP for quality In Character posts - in effect, to reward players who engage the other players and show that their nation is truly living. CP is used to research technologies, perform any sort of random action you want to PM me about, and is the only way to increase the Industrial Points derived from one territory. These last two follow no set rules - as you accrue CP, throw ideas at me. By no means is CP required to succeed in the game, but hopefully it does incentivize interesting players over ghosts. CPs are not lost each turn, and are kept in a bank.

Technologies:

You can invest IP in researching technologies, and CP at a rate of 2 IP for 1. Technologies are used to add bonuses to your military capacity. There are several Tiers, and every civilization starts at Tier I, which has no bonus. Tier II costs 25 IP, Tier III costs 50 IP, and Tier IV costs 100 IP. You can 'bank' IP used to research tiers, so if you invest 20 research to Tier III Army in turn A and 20 in Turn B, you have 40 IP into that tech in total. You can only research 1 tech at a time.
The tech tree is as follows:

Army
Tier I (Line Infantry): (No bonus)
Tier II (Breech-loading Rifles): +1 on combat rolls
Tier III (Machine Guns): +2 on combat rolls
Tier IV (Tanks): +2 on combat rolls; Can blitz (attack up to 2 "layers" of enemy territory)

Munitions
Tier I (Cannons): (No bonus)
Tier II (Steel Breech-loaded Artillery): +15% chance of enemy casualties
Tier III (Indirect Artillery Fire): +20% chance of enemy casualties
Tier IV (Advanced Ballistics): +25% chance of enemy casualties

Navy
Tier I (Ships of the Line): (No bonus)
Tier II (Ironclads): +1 on combat rolls; Naval supply range increases to 2 Sea Zones
Tier III (Battleships): +2 on combat rolls
Tier IV (Dreadnoughts): +2 on combat rolls

Aerial
Tier I (n/a): <cannot build Air Wings>
Tier II (Airships): Enables Air Wings
Tier III (Stirling Cycle): Air Wings can attack up to 4 territories away from your borders
Tier IV (Fighters): +5 on combat rolls against other Air Wings

Orders:
  • All orders will be either private messaged to me or posted in this thread, in bold red text. The subject line of private messages should read: "Orders for [nation name]".
  • You must announce orders for military movements in this thread. Owing to the scale of the game, there is no tactical surprise; each turn represents up to five years of fighting.
  • Construction or research, if you wish them to remain private, may be private messaged. If you choose to do this, include your military orders in the PM as well as posting them publicly.
  • Treaties may be kept secret; if you wish to use an access treaty for the purpose of normally impossible movements, it must either be public or confirmed to me by both signatories through private messages.
  • You may update your orders at any time before I have posted the turn results...you may especially feel compelled to reconsider orders if you find yourself in an unexpected war. Again, though, if done after the 24hr warning has elapsed, I do not guarantee their inclusion.
  • Remember that there are no 'sneak attacks' on full nations. You must post a public declaration of war in this thread, or I will not process any attacks upon another player. You will face the GM's wrath if you attempt to game the system by posting declarations of war one minute before the expiration of the order deadline.
  • Expenditures towards all things may be banked, as in an investment. Research and Army, Navy, and Air Wing construction may take place over multiple turns. You will lose any IP left unspent; always invest odd points.
  • Do not forget that you can utilise constructed units in the turn of their completion.

Last edited:
A new Imperium Offtopicum? I need to get in here!

Anyway, after seeing the empires of canon choice I decided to go with a bit of my own here.

The fourth rome! The second Constantinople! The Imperial Hegemony of Byzantium!

We are situated here:

History

Claiming itself to be a descendant of the old east roman empire, born out of sweat and blood and russian, greek and bulgarian ambitions and refugees, this nation came to power in the area after the fall devastated the old order. In the months before, bloody war raged across the balkans as the ottoman empire, unable to keep control of many areas almost fell to pieces under the stress. Using this, the collective surviving nobility decided to reclaim their age-old heritage. In these early days it was also, that the peasantry, fed up with aristocratic control revolted bitterly, thus leading the imperial houses to form a parliament of sorts, creating a bill of rights for the common man.

Institutions

Government Type: Imperial Republic (Noble Republic with a twist)
Noble Houses/ Principas Eklogeon:
Greater Houses Romanov, Cantacuzenas, Palaiologoi, Asen, Komnenus, Megastastes
Lesser Houses Gorchakov, Hohenzollern-Schlesien, Schwarzburg-Waldeck, Karadordevic, Bagration-Mukhrani, Ascania-Habsburg
Parliament: 20 Seats - Chosen Representatives from the commons by popular vote for 14, the other 6 are by secret vote chosen from the Greater houses.
Emperor: Currently without. Is chosen in secret vote by the Principas Eklogeon with a veto right from the parliament (must be done unanimously)

Flag

Born out of a militaristic endeavour and modern measures of state the flag represents at once the ancient strands of byzantine heritage as well as the state religion of the hegemony.

Last edited:
Utah
Also now known as "The United Territories"

rel-lds.gif

map.jpg

History

The utter obliteration of the United States, including most of her government and her most populous states, need not be repeated here. But Utah was spared the Wrath of God. It, so far, has also been spared a paralyzing influx of desperate refugees. She has escaped almost entirely unscathed.

But not unaffected. With the railroads no longer operating, the many non-Mormons who had immigrated to Utah the previous decade were suddenly deprived of their livings. The Mormon population, which had cultivated its position in Utah for many more decades, suddenly held all of the economic power. With the obliteration of the United States government, it did not take long for the Mormon Church to retake political control of the Territory. Most non-Mormons in the state have been taken under the wing of the Mormon community, and many have fully converted.

The actual government has gradually extended out of the De Jure borders of the Utah Territory; the other Territorial governments having been seriously weakened or destroyed, it was a simple matter for the Church to activate its ties with the various Mormon colonies in those territories and establish order. Governments survived in New Mexico, Arizona and Texas, but they were all rather weak for reasons relating to the Fall, and within a few years had submitted to a new, Utah-led federal structure call "The United Territories," which claims to be the legal successor of the United States.

Institutions

UT Government Leaders
Government Type: Theocratic Republic
President of the Territories: Joseph F. Smith
Premier of the Territories: Theodore Roosevelt
President Pro Tempore of the Quorum of the Territories: Wilford Woodruff

Mormon Church Leaders
Church President: Joseph F. Smith
President of the Quorom of Twelve Apostles: Wilford Woodruff

The official government of the Utah Territory had become non-functioning within a few months of The Fall. All functions have been taken over by the LDS Church. The Church is led by the Church President, who is supported by a council of elders called the Quorom of the Twelve Apostles. They are the upper eschelon of the LDS Church priesthood, as well holding de facto political control of the Territory.

With the collapse of the Transcontinental trade reliant on railroads, and facing a massive economic catastrophe with large numbers of residents who have lost their livelihoods, the Church had taken an active affair in managing the economy with Zion's Central Board of Trade. Originally an organ for coordinating economic activity from the ground up, it has been strengthened, centralized and given wide powers by the Quorom to stabilize the economic situation, provide for the citizenry and make plans for the bleak future.

The Territorial Armies are directly descended from the United States Army, specifically from the military garrisons that that had brought order to the Wild West and tamed the Indians. To unify the command of the old territorial armies in the wake of the destruction of the US army's main bureaucratic body, a new organization was drawn up, topped with a 5-star "General of the Territorial Armies" to serve as the chief of staff. Officially, this General is chosen by consensus among the various territorial governments, but in reality the Utah government and the LDS church monopolize this power.

Several changes have been enacted, as an official unitary constitution for the remaining Territories of the United States has been instituted. There is quite a degree of overlap between the Church bureaucracy of the Mormons and the official federal government; the Mormons entirely control the upper house of the legislature, the Quorum of the Territories, which is empowered to elect the President of the Territories. The Congress of the Territories is selected by the various territorial governments (some of which have instituted direct election of representatives), but it is much weaker than its predecessor the House of Representatives. Its main function is to give the government additional, democratic legitimacy, and to elect the Premier of the Territories, who is generally not a member of the LDS priesthood and in whom the President and Quorum have invested great powers.

Flag

To distinguish the new and rightful government of Utah from remnant pretender enclaves that claim to have links to the obliterated US government, the Utah Territory has adopted the old Mormon Pioneer Flag as its symbol.

Last edited:
Awesome.

The New Shogunate of Japan

800px-Merchant_flag_of_Japan_%281870%29.svg.png

peshawar.jpg

History:

While the rest of the Northern Hemisphere was shattered by the Meteor Strikes Japan came out better than most with few strikes in its territory. However the few which did strike struck hard and the entire royal line of the Emperor was wiped out in an instant. With the Emperor gone and no successor available the country fell into chaos as the army collapsed and government fell apart. Desperate to keep Japan out of a second Sengoku Jidai the surviving regional governors threw their support behind the only person they thought had a chance of recovering Japan from it's disastrous tail spin. Ex-Shogun Tokugawa Yoshinobu who came out of retirement to lead the new government. With many wanting to avoid chaos and with no Successor to the Emperor alive he was quickly accepted. In the aftermath with most industry out of action and the climate cooling he took immediate action to prevent large scale famine stockpiling food and sending extra workers to the south of the country to farm more effectively. This meant that Japan came through the Fall largely unscathed although the government had changed dramatically.

Government:

Type: Shogunate, Effectively a Military Junta.
Leader: Tokugawa Yoshinobu

The government is largely dominated by military men and ex-samurai (although the Class was brought back after the Government change) with few civilians in the government Military affairs take precedence over Economic ones. This has lead to a huge amount of military forces while the economy has remained sluggish though the warming weather has improved the situation. The army is largely the old Feudal style army of the Old Shogunate largely as industrial collapse has prevented the production of large numbers of rifles and other modern weapons for the use by the army though attempts have been made to re-begin development of such weapons in the near future. The navy is largely non-existent with much of the northern Coast being covered by ice although they were looking into rebuilding it in the near future.

(OOC: Is it possible to walk armies across Ice regions and is it also possible to invest in armies or navies over several turns. If not I'll be sitting here for the Entire game twiddling my thumbs)

In
Empire of Mittelafrika

Info on the nation when I get back from school tomorrow.

Kingdom of Hawaii
peshawar.png

Flag_Kingdom_of_Hawaii.PNG

national-coatofarms.jpg

Coat of Arms of the Kingdom of Hawaii

"'Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono"
"The life of the land is perpetuated by righteousness"

501px-Kingdavidkalakaua_dust.jpg

David Laʻamea Kamanakapuʻu Mahinulani Nalaiaehuokalani Lumialani Kalākaua, Ma ka Lokomaikaʻi o ke Akua, Ke Aliʻi o ko Hawaiʻi Pae ʻAina

David Kalākaua, By the grace of God, King of the Hawaiian Islands

System of Government: Constitutional Monarchy

The present Kingdom of Hawaii was formed under King Kamehamea I, who used imported weapons and advisers to forcibly unite the Hawaiian Islands. Since then foreign missionaries, traders and planters have steadily gained influence. The monarchy has had to walk a tricky path between the interests of the "Haoles" (white immigrants and their descendants), the native population, imported Asian laborers and foreign powers. Though recognized as an independent state American influence had been growing dominant until the Fall.

Isolation has largely spared Hawaii from the direct effects of the Fall. Refugees have been unable to reach the islands in significant numbers, and the climate has only been moderately affected by fallout thus far. The collapse of its trading partners in the US and Europe has led to a decline in the once-booming sugar plantations in favor of rice and other food crops. This has undermined the economic power of the Haole elite and shifted the balance of power in the Kingdom.

Last edited:
OOC: It appears island nations are do not have viable starting positions. Even land countires are vulnerable--they cannot build new armies until they have captured a second province. However, I agree with most of the rules changes that lead to this.

I would suggest perhaps giving every capital province a Capital bonus of +1 IP (similar to that one national ideology from the previous game); this is necessary for any country to begin the game with the capacity for any construction! Then allow countries to begin the game with 1 navy rather than 2 armies.

Last edited:
OOC: It appears island nations are do not have viable starting positions. Even land countires are vulnerable--they cannot build new armies until they have captured a second province. However, I agree with most of the rules changes that lead to this.

I would suggest perhaps giving every capital province a Capital bonus of +1 IP (similar to that one national ideology from the previous game); this is necessary for any country to begin the game with the capacity for any construction! Then allow countries to begin the game with 1 navy rather than 2 armies.

If I read the map right Hawaii is connected to the rest of Polynesia by dotted lines, which means I wouldn't need fleets to expand there. It's only one territory, two at most.

flagimp.png

imperiummap.png

The British Raj

Head of State: Her Imperial Majesty The Queen-Empress Victoria

Head of Government: Lord Salisbury, First Lord of the Treasury and Prime Minister.

Capital: Calcutta, at least as the Government-In-Exile reorganises.

Currency: Imperial Rupee

Treaties:

Incorporation of the Royal Suez Canal Company

The Illustrated London News:

On the Second Mutiny - 1880
Japanese Delegation to the Raj - 1883
Field Marshal Wolseley Lifts Siege of Amritsar - 1885
Pathan Horde Pours Down the Khyber Pass - 1887
Prince of Wales Proclaims Liberation of Delhi - 1890
Prime Minister Calls New General Election - 1894
Liberal Landslide; Chamberlain Forms New Government - 1895
SPECIAL INSERT: The Diamond Jubilee and Imperial Federation - 1897
Nile Field Force Steams for the Canal - 1900
General Gordon, I Presume? - 1900
SPECIAL INSERT: Queen Victoria, Her Grand Life and Glorious Reign - 1901
Kitchener's Flying Column Crosses into the Soudan - 1905
Admiral Fischer: "Arab Corsairs Thoroughly Destroyed!" - 1906
Falcon Scott Reaches Congo River; Repulsed by Zanzibari Slavers - 1910
Treaty of Sarawak Passes Commons: New Guinea Purchased - 1912
Jihad Declared! Afghan Raiders Assault Peshawar - 1914

The Exodus:

The British Isles suffered as badly as most parts of Europe from the Fall, but the consequences were not so immediately drastic.

A combination of a dense surviving transport network and prompt emergency measures under strong leadership - Disraeli's government, in which Lord Salisbury quickly became a leading figure - allowed the maintenance of order for some time, and avoided a loss of what resources remained by preventing the breakdown of services that swept over most of Europe. Martial law was declared, and the long tradition of centralised authority made it possible to maintain a semblance of civilised life for nearly two years.

Uniquely, the British government quickly became aware (thanks to Professor Thomson, now Lord Kelvin, and others) that the cold weather was likely to last for several years. Once this had been grasped, it was obvious that it would be impossible to feed the vast majority of the British population - still over 20 million, even with the loss of Ireland and much of the west coast. Since the harvest was in and imports had been substantial, there was food on hand for approximately 12 months, which might be stretched to 24 with extremely careful rationing. However, that left a gap of two years in which there would be, essentially, no food at all apart from a small trickle from Australia and the Rio de la Plate countries.

Fortunately, a large proportion of the British merchant fleet had survived the Fall; either in ports on the east coast, on the deep oceans where the tsunamis were merely massive waves, or in the Mediterranean and southern hemisphere. Together with impounded foreign ships, the navy, and some new emergency construction, roughly 700,000 tons of shipping was available. In the ensuing two years, this was used to ship out as much of the British population - and of British civilisation - as possible. There were three major destinations: India, where Queen Victoria and Parliament were relocated, southern Africa, and Australia/New Zealand. Roughly 3.5 million were evacuated: one million and a half to India, one million to Australia, one half million to the Cape, and one half million to various other colonies.

By 1880, the rationing system broke down. It had become obvious that it would be impossible to remove many of the remaining people before famine started; there was also considerable resentment over the fact that the Exodus had been socially selective. The aristocracy and gentry- the "upper ten thousand" families - had gone first, and the upper echelons of the middle classes next. Soldiers and their families had followed, together with skilled workers; and the government had allocated shipping space to essential machine tools and other industrial equipment as well.

Rioting broke out and could not be suppressed with the few troops remaining; by the end, the authorities held only London, and Prime Minister Disraeli himself was killed when the mobs overran those last outposts.

Despite his loss, the best and brightest of the Empire had escaped to India. The Second Sepoy Mutiny would greet them upon arrival, and in the dark opening months of this new decade Her Majesty's Imperial Government finds itself surrounded and threatened in its new home...

Last edited:
Kingdom of Mongolia

6805796741_51659c147c_b.jpg

6805796605_eb56b33c2e_z.jpg

History

Before "The Fall" descendants of Chinghis Khaan were vassal of Qin Empire for 200 years. They still continued to live like their ancestors, nomadic way of life with a little outside knowledge because of information blockade by Qin Empire and former Russian Siberian region.

When first signs of the Fall have become known to Mongolians, the Bogd (The leading Lama /Buddhist monk/) have called for the meeting of high nobles. When all Mongolian high nobles gathered, the Bogd have made prophecy and said "My faithful followers, the time to live on your own and move to south west has come as our predecessors predicted. And I have to say that I will stay here in order to lessen your sins". The nobles were shocked by revelation of Bogd and couldn't say anything for a moment. They have asked "My lord, if there is danger, then how can we leave you?". The Bogd replied, "I will be always be with you in your heart. When the sign of good times appears, then please return your homeland." Even Mongolians were sad to leave their home, they have migrated to south west without doubt because their belief for the Bogd was absolute.

Nearly all Mongolians rebelled against Qin Empire and have migrated south west. Qin Empire was in turmoil and couldn't do anything to prevent it. In 1879, Mongolians finally reached their destination which is known as Xinjiang. The original population of Xinjiang consisted of many different people: Uyghurs, Uzbeks, Kyrgyz, Tatars, Kazakhs, Han, Mongolians, Russians and so on. The native Mongolians welcomed their cousins while other ethnic people were furious. They are tried to expel Mongolians by force, thus lead to the Founding War of Kingdom of Mongolia. This war was total victory for Mongolians because of following reasons:

1st: Other ethnic people didn't trust each other. And this gave Mongolians chance to beat their forces separately.
2nd: Mongolians are known for their very high religious tolerance. People who are not Muslims like Russians sided with Mongolians.
3rd: Because Mongolians couldn't return their home, they fought zealously.

Political Structure

Currently the highest body of government is military council which consists of fifteen members, 8 Mongolian and 7 other ethnic generals. They have 5 ministries: Internal affairs, Foreign, Finance, Information and Religious affairs.

Brief Information

Name: Kingdom of Mongolia.
Head of the government: 15 generals of Military Council.
Capital: Shine Kharkhorum
Currency: Gold and silver coins

Interesting points from the state law

* Every person has equal right regardless of such things like race, colour, sex, language, religion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.

Last edited:
Did Germany unite in the book's timeline?
This is kind of important for my nation.

szhgeq.png

Vrijstaat Suid-Afrika/South African Free State

2rzqwly.png

History:

After the great disaster of 1878, the arrival of over half a million British refugees caused massive economic and political disruption to the British Cape Colony. Starvation and mass unrest, coupled with a humiliating defeat in the Zulu War of 1879, caused the colony to collapse into anarchy. The Boer Republics to the north, now dealing with costal refugees themselves and facing bolder native kingdoms, agreed on the need to federate to face these new difficulties. With the foundation of the Vrijstaat Suid-Afrika at the end of 1879, it was the only white government of any note in Southern Africa, and what remained of the European communities on the Cape gladly welcomed its protection.

Government:

Type: Republic
Head of State/Government: State President Paul Kruger
Legislature: Volksraad
Capital: Bloemfontein
Currency: South African Pound

Thandros said:
(OOC: Is it possible to walk armies across Ice regions and is it also possible to invest in armies or navies over several turns. If not I'll be sitting here for the Entire game twiddling my thumbs)
It seems I completely forgot to add the final rules section on Orders. Army, Navy, or Air Wing construction can all be invested in like Technology. My apologies for the confusion and worry! :eek:hmy:

On walking across Ice, not normally. If you want to do something extraordinary or outside the specified rules, that would be a case where we could discuss the spending of Culture Points.

Hyzhenhok said:

I wanted to slow early-game expansion, but I can see the rationale behind the Capital bonus. Expansion during this first turn, in the immediate chaos after the Fall, should be a gamble, considering, in the book, it took until about 1890 for the surviving nations to stabilize enough for confident conquest. Players, however, will probably appreciate the ability to do something first turn besides bank an IP in Army construction. :p

A good suggestion, and I'll incorporate it. My thanks!

As to Navies, though, I don't really want anyone starting with the ability to project sea power. Not even in-universe Britain was capable of supplying an organised naval expedition until 1900. Island nations, with the new Capital bonus, would be able to field a new Fleet next turn if all they do is invest IP in that. Hopefully they should feel a bit more secure now.

Deaghaidh said:
If I read the map right Hawaii is connected to the rest of Polynesia by dotted lines, which means I wouldn't need fleets to expand there.* It's only one territory, two at most.
Dotted lines connect the islands of a single territory. I merged Hawaii in with the other Polynesian islands, because the economic and territorial scale seemed very bizarre if it was left worth 1IP by itself.

200px-Coat_Arms_Empire_of_Brazil.svg.png

Empire of Brazil

scaled.php

History

During the Fall, the Empire entered the great upheavals, the northern coastlines were wrecked by the tsunamis, effectively destroying the loose political controls over these northern provinces. However, in spite of all problems and sad deaths of Pedro II, daughter, Isabel, Princess Imperial of Brazil and her husband, Gaston of Orléans died during the terrible crisis, the throne instead fell onto hand of a toddler, Duke of Caxias, Marquis of Erval and Marshal Deodoro da Fonseca managed to restore orders by waging through knee deep in blood. As the greatest crisis passed, the Empire was effectively reduced in size, but the Empire managed to restore stability along the Eastern seaboard and to lesser extend, inland. As Duke died from cancer and Marquis from old age, it left to Marshal Deodoro da Fonseca who as Regent and Prime Minster to guide the country in 1880 in name of Emperor Pedro the Third. Slavery was effectively abolished.

Institutions

Marshal Deodoro da Fonseca currently served as Prime Minister of Brazil and Regent of the Empire, effectively making him most powerful man in the country. The society managed to rallied around the Child Emperor as symbol of their shattered nation and hope for better future is clear.

Type: Monarchy
De Jure Head of State & Government: Emperor Pedro III of Orléans-Braganza
De facto Head of State & Government: Marshal Deodoro da Fonseca
Capital: Rio de janeiro
Currency: Real

(OOC: There's nothing to stop me doing in Character posts before the game starts is their. Even if there is I'm doing one anyway.)

"But Shogun there is no way our troops can cross over to Korea" Exclaimed Kuroda Kiyotaka," We lack a navy and even so the pack Ice prevents us from sailing into the area." Yoshinobu walked over to the map he had laid out. "The pack Ice shall be our crossing route. Using the Islands of Iki and Tsushima as bases to rest our troops and store supplies for the Operation our troops will cross over the Ice to Korea. Lightly armed troops will easily be able to make the Distance. In Winter the Ice will easily be thick enough for our troops. The Korean Kingdom is collapsing from within and their King will gladly welcome us if we let him retain some power. Even so no faction in Korea can muster more than 5000 men and most don't even have a 1000 armed men at their disposal and we must remember that our troops are far more modern then theirs we could likely win even if outnumbered 2 to 1 as many of their troops are armed with spears and only a handful have any firearms. The conquest will be easy and getting only a minor obstacle." Kuroda looked the map over, The Shogun had planned this well in the two years he'd been back in power. Getting their was no problem that was now clear to him, The Koreans were weaker than he said if reports of mashed bloodshed between factions who ground each other into the Ground every day with massive losses, he doubt that they would even try to resist the Japanese army if it landed in Korea. " Are you sure the troops will be willing to take part in the attack?" He Asked. Yoshinobu let out a deep breath, "They must, we need to act swiftly and decisively to make our place in the world for ever. If they do not we'll be doomed. Swift action helped your anti Shogun faction win the Boshin war and defeat my forces and now we must be swift once more. When the World recovers we must be ready to take advantage of it or else we'll be doomed." Yoshinobu exclaimed. "Very well then I'll see to it that the troops are prepared and equipped, may this endeavour go well or else we'll fall into obscurity." Replied Kuroda.

(OOC: Just asking but I would Prefer if no one went as Korea but Since their is no obvious route of Expansion until the Wasteland clears I'm hoping no one will)

180px-Wappen_Deutsches_Reich_-_Reichsadler_1889.svg.png

Mittelafrikanischen Kaiserreich
2Kk2u.png
Over a million people were evacuated to the German Colonies in Africa, including the German royal Family and the Chancellor, Otto von Bismarck, after the Fall made Germany unhospitable. The Royal Family hopes to regain the German mainland once the Fall stops affecting it, and hopes to create a hegemony in Africa. The capital is New Luebeck, located on the coast of the Empire, with a population of 300,000 people including the government building like the new Reichstag.

Form Of Government: Federal Empire
Kaiser: Wilhelm I
Reichskanzler: Otto von Bismarck
Currency: Mark
Capital: New Luebeck

Did Germany unite in the book's timeline?
This is kind of important for my nation.

It did. As far as I could glean from the book, there is no point of divergence until the Fall.

About navies: As I understand the current rules, it would take ten years to sail from Japan to California. Which is deranged.

I understand that you want to keep fleets from being overpowered, so how about fleets can move to any sea zone in one turn (which represents 5 years) BUT you can only move troops to provinces within one or two (depending on tech) sea zones of a friendly port. Also, if a province isn't within that range you can't collect IP from it. Hostile fleets can cut these supply lines.

This would require players to either seize naval bases or negotiate access, and focus on defending key sea lanes.

Also, due to the strategic limitations of its starting position, I've reluctantly decided to abandon the Kingdom of Hawaii :( Stay tuned for my new country.