• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Logos88

Second Lieutenant
11 Badges
Apr 9, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
So I'm really interested in buying CK II. But I have many doubts regarding how I should do it...

1 - I would like to acquire a phisical copy of the game. To my understanding I would lose the free DLC. Any comments of the Developers on what will compose the boxed copy? obviously the cd, than a map? a Manual perhaps?

2 - Even if I buy the boxed copy will I be able to register the game with the special status? Will I be considered a pre order fan?

3 - Since the game requires a steam activation, will I be able to play it in diferent computers? Can my brother and I being playing at the same time?

4 - If yes, can the future dlc be instaled two times in diferent computers?

5 - The pre order dlc, Mongol faces and COA dlc are exclusives to pre order or will be avaliable later for everyone?

6 - I never used steam of gamersgate etc. wich one is better? To my understanding GG suports paradox better, still Steam has a tremendous amount of other games, that GG can't compete with. Is this correct? If I choose steam, will I receave everything that paradox produces in the future?

7 - I live in Portugal, if I want the boxed copy, will it arrive in time in stores like fnac or Game to be able to register to get and early adopter bonus? Or do I have to buy online to get here in time? If so, is Amazon currently the only source?

8 - Finally, I really would like some more information about the boxed copy, if it is just the box and the cd, no physical manual, i might just pre order online...

Thank you for your time, I never did any digital download, but CK II is too good to not adapt

3 - Since the game requires a steam activation, will I be able to play it in diferent computers? Can my brother and I being playing at the same time?

If you buy at GG, there is no Steam activation.
In any case, a classical copy/paste of the game on your brother computer would enable you both playing at the same time. (at least, it's true for every game from EUI to victoria 2, bought on steam or not)

Answered in the FAQ post.

6 - I never used steam of gamersgate etc. wich one is better? To my understanding GG suports paradox better, still Steam has a tremendous amount of other games, that GG can't compete with. Is this correct? If I choose steam, will I receave everything that paradox produces in the future?

Some people use both, there is no restriction. With both you'll be able to get the latest patch and buy the futur DLC.

So I'm really interested in buying CK II. But I have many doubts regarding how I should do it...

1 - I would like to acquire a phisical copy of the game. To my understanding I would lose the free DLC. Any comments of the Developers on what will compose the boxed copy? obviously the cd, than a map? a Manual perhaps?
The DLC is only free for digital pre-orders
2 - Even if I buy the boxed copy will I be able to register the game with the special status? Will I be considered a pre order fan?
Depends on how long it takes for your distributor and postal service to get the game to you
I dont know about the same time thing, but one of steams 'selling points' is being able to download any game on it entirely again on other computers.
As above
5 - The pre order dlc, Mongol faces and COA dlc are exclusives to pre order or will be avaliable later for everyone?
It will cost 2 dollars or 2 euro [i think] in the future
No matter which you choose you will most likely be able to use the same for any future games. Its not all or nothing, the next game you could buy on the other but most likely either will never be the only option and therell always be the choice. But never will buying one game on one restrict you to that one for all other games for all time.
The major difference is how patches and expansions work, with GG you download the exes so you can reinstall again later if you want to, with Steam it downloads as it installs so to reinstall you must also redownload. With GG you do the patching yourself with Steam its automatic through a client.
7 - I live in Portugal, if I want the boxed copy, will it arrive in time in stores like fnac or Game to be able to register to get and early adopter bonus? Or do I have to buy online to get here in time? If so, is Amazon currently the only source?
There are hundreds of sites and retailers selling it, look around for the best price if you get the box. Just try searching the name of the game or look on any sites you know people who live near you have bought games/cds/etc from in the past and had good service. As for the early adopter, who knows. It depends how long it takes the post to get to to you.
8 - Finally, I really would like some more information about the boxed copy, if it is just the box and the cd, no physical manual, i might just pre order online...
I dont know about that, might be in the stickies, but maybe no one knows yet. Im pretty sure V2 had a manual though.
Thank you for your time, I never did any digital download, but CK II is too good to not adapt

Yes, you will not get the free dlc's. I don't think its stated officially what the boxed copy has.

I don't think thats possible as registering a game depens on the cd-key and they can't anyway know what boxed copy was sold as pre-order.

Yes you can play it. You can play the game without Steam being on so one of you can play the game on another computer and the other on the other. Still only one of you can have steam online as the game is linked to just one steam account.

On steam every DLC is directly installed to the game and after you buy it will always be downloaded with the game. So after that it will always be part of the game.

You can buy them normally after release. They will most likely cost two euros a piece as thats the price they are sold on Gamersgate. For steam version is always recomended to buy the dlc's from steam so there would not be any problems.

When you buy retail version you have to use Steam as all boxed copies require steam. GG version is only one that doesn't require steam to install but can only be bought from there. Currently GG is not supporting Paradox better as they are two different companies and Paradox get the same ammount of money from all the other companies selling the game. Steam has all the other games of Paradox that has been released in recent years. CKII will also be mainly on Steam so the main platform for the game is Steam. So yes you will be able to buy every DLC from Steam and most likely every future Paradox game as well. Steam uses a client that lets you easilly download your games from their servers and keeps the game updated automaticly. GG you have to manually download every game and DLC seperatly from their website.

As I said I don't think there is a possibility to get any pre-order bonus if you buy retail version. I can't answer of what shops will have it in your area.

Well there is no real info about the boxed copy but most likely it will not be nothing fancy. There might be a manual but nothing is really confirmed atleast I haven't seen anything about it on the forums.

No. The pre-order bonus DLC come only with digital pre-orders. However there are other bonuses for other retailers, like cheaper price. Though for a boxed version shipping costs would still be added.

You can play on different computers, you can download the game again if you have somehow lost it. You can even backup the files so you can restore it without downloading it again.

But if two people start playing the game on two different computers when they only bought one copy, it is technically piracy. If you have the game on Steam then you're also not supposed to share a Steam user. Your brother should buy his own copy if he likes the game. Steam and GG and others allow you to buy games as a gift for other users if your brother doesn't have enough money.

Yes, for pre-orderers they are free, others can still buy them.

I have bought all my Paradox games from GG, but I have a feeling that Steam is a better choise in the long run. Steam is the biggest, the application makes patching dozens of games effortless. Already many games require Steam to run (Skyrim, Civ V, Total War series, CKII) even if you buy the boxed copy.

On the other hand GG is more lightweight, it does not have a desktop application running all the time that needs an active internet connection with specific open ports. You'd have to install patches and DLC manually, which is not that bad if you only play a few games on your computer.

I don't know if Amazon will ship the game earlier for you to get it by the release date, but I have been pleasantly surprised by amazon.co.uk's delivery times to Estonia where I live. One thing that is certain is that I can download the game from GG inside an hour, instead of an uncertain period of just waiting for it to arrive.

I was not happy when I was forced to install Steam when I bought a boxed copy of Empire: Total War. But judging by the amount of games that I now have on GG and Steam it can be said that I have been converted to the other side.

Something to remember, if you pre order the boxed version it is usually 10% off, which i'm certain will cover the cost of DLC. So you essentially get free DLC either way.