• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also, the other flag posted a page behind or so, the one from Deviant is hugely non-sensical, especially from the EU3 timelines point of view.

It uses a made up flag for Norway, a country that till the very end loved Dannebrog and it proposes a Swedish king as the overhead, which is rather silly too.

The Swedish kings were often totally random foreign houses, while the Danish line was rather steadfast and haven't even been broken yet.

The closest times for a union have all been with proposed Danish kings and only a few Swedish kings have ever thought it possible to become a king of Denmark and non of them succeeded.

I am the person who made the Scandinavia flag in question, and while I agree with you on the fact that it isn't really suitable for EU3's timeframe, I feel I should clarify a few things:

1. The flag for Norway isn't made up. It was one of the original flag proposals for Norway shortly after its independence from Denmark, and it was used as part of certain Swedish-Norwegian union flags as well. I will, however, admit that I made it a saltire mostly out of convenience in this case.

2. In the scenario the flag was made for, a system similar to that proposed by the King of Bavaria for the German Empire is used. I.e. The King of Sweden and Denmark take turns on the throne of the Scandinavian Commonwealth. The central heraldry on the state flag changes depending on the monarch, while the "national" flag never has any of the central heraldry at all.

Also, I personally like the Kalmar Union flag, but it does remind one of...Well, cheese wrapped in red ribbons.

Last edited:
I am the person who made the Scandinavia flag in question, and while I agree with you on the fact that it isn't really suitable for EU3's timeframe, I feel I should clarify a few things:

1. The flag for Norway isn't made up. It was one of the original flag proposals for Norway shortly after its independence from Denmark, and it was used as part of certain Swedish-Norwegian union flags as well. I will, however, admit that I made it a saltire mostly out of convenience in this case.

2. In the scenario the flag was made for, a system similar to that proposed by the King of Bavaria for the German Empire is used. I.e. The King of Sweden and Denmark take turns on the throne of the Scandinavian Commonwealth. The central heraldry on the state flag changes depending on the monarch, while the "national" flag never has any of the central heraldry at all.

Also, I personally like the Kalmar Union flag, but it does remind one of...Well, cheese wrapped in red ribbons.

Sorry if what I wrote sounded harsh, it's not a criticism of the flag or your timeline, it's a criticism for it's use in EU3 :)