• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jia Xu

Strategist
64 Badges
Feb 27, 2010
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Have we had a topic like this yet? I don't think so. Given Paradox's new DLC module policy which is being introduced with CK2, I'm curious as to what other soon-to-be CK2 players would like to see PI do with this and I'm curious as to how much they think DLC should cost.

I'd like to see:

1) A character modding assistant tool: After reading DD #7, modding in new characters seems like it's going to be the worst chore. I'd definitely pay $5-10 for a tool allowing me to paste DNA code and then receive a preview back of what the character would look like at all stages of life (ignoring any potential traits in the game that might change the look). The hours of potential grief saved would definitely be worth a few dollars, IMO.

2) Muslim flavour DLC: I think this is the one everyone has been asking for. A DLC which makes them officially playable and adds in some flavour mechanics to make their governments a little more Islamic and less of a clone of the countries running Euro-Christian feudalism. $10-15 for sure.

3) Mechanics change so that de jure borders can be changed with events and decisions: Pleeeeeaaaasssse. Can't what duchies/kingdoms/empires a county belongs to be changed and stored next to all of the other provincial info stored in the save game? I'm not a developer of course, and maybe I'm speaking pure programming ignorance, but I think the locked de jure borders feature has been almost universally disliked. I want to be able to have a decision that switches the Welsh duchies to the Kingdom of England, the Andalusian duchies to Castille, the kingdoms of Castille and Aragon to a single Kingdom of Spain or whatever else I can come up with. This is really restricting. I would pay $20 for this, no joke. :(

4) Pagan flavour DLC: Allow pagans to be played and add in a lot of flavour for the Mongols. Simple enough, $10.

5) Naval combat: Naval combat isn't a focus of the era, I get it. However, no naval combat at all seems a little silly. As I understand it, right now in the game, the Malik of Morocco can decide to invade Rome and no one can do anything about it, until he starts sieging the province. Likewise, you could be in the 15th century and the King of France can land in England unopposed on the English channel. It doesn't have to be anything too deep. You could have just two kinds of ships even. Transport (which is already in vanilla) and war ship. $5?

6) Rolled back timeline DLC: What if the game started around a century earlier? What if Vladimir of Kiev is a pagan pondering over which religion is superior and you get to make the legendary choice? What if you start as a Saxon lord during a time when the Vikings are at their strongest in England and when big bad Canute finally shows up, you have the opportunity to defeat him depending on how badly you let the Vikings weaken you leading up to his personal invasion? There's a lot of potential fun here. With that said, technologies would have to be tweaked a bit and a century's worth of altered history files is probably a rather large request. $15-20 for sure, I think.

What do you guys think? What kind of DLC would you like to see?

So you would first buy the game and then pay the total sum of $80 for six DLCs? Are you kidding me? The whole idea of having to pay for extra content sounds like an elaborate scam and as a customer I don't feel like I'm being treated right. :angry:

So you would first buy the game and then pay the total sum of $80 for six DLCs? Are you kidding me? The whole idea of having to pay for extra content sounds like an elaborate scam and as a customer I don't feel like I'm being treated right. :angry:

I don't like the old piracy witch hunt myself, so I'm not going to crack any jokes at your expense about how you have no games registered here, hohoho.

Do you complain when Paradox releases expansions? If you bought Napoleon's Ambition, In Nomine, Heir to the Throne, and Divine Wind, you ended up paying more than a pretty penny for EU3. That's what Paradox's new DLC model is about, I think. It's about selling you mini-expansions at a fraction of the price of full expansions so you don't have to buy the features you don't particularly care for. If they don't abuse it, it's a great idea, IMO.

So if you buy an expansion pack, it's scam as well? Because Paradox said that there will be no EPs for CKII, only DLCs, but I see no difference, it's just a different name.

So while putting every idea into a different DLC seems strange, how is making a DLC bringing naval combat, muslims and pagans playable and changable borders for 20$ different from making A House Divided EP for 20$?

And yes, making an EP/DLC that would do these things would be great.

Like most old schoolers the idea of DLC makes me feel dirty. Its a way for companies to get more of my money. Understandable from thier point of view. But not something I'm planning on purchasing.

I expect you'll get a barrage of "I'm not paying more for stuff that should be in the game" responses :)

Well, the expansions for previous Paradox games were pretty expensive too and added content and art. I have spent probably over 80€ on Europa Universalis III too and been happy with the updates. I have reservations about this new DLC method too though, mostly since it feels so new and I have grown accustomed to expansion packs through out the years of playing. I wonder though, they said that people would be able to play with each other regardless of what DLC they have, so the DLC can't affect game mechanics all that much, unlike EU3 expansions, can they?

Like most old schoolers the idea of DLC makes me feel dirty. Its a way for companies to get more of my money.

Like Makesin said, what's the difference between paying $20 for an expansion with four big features and paying $5 for one big feature? The difference is that if you only like new feature, you only have to buy one. If you don't care for those other three new features you don't have to waste money on the package to get the one feature you do want.

Playable Pagans!

I feel okay for paying for mods that are actually adding to the game. Exclusively cosmetic mods should be part of the original game, other dlcs or patches.

Of the op's suggestions 2, 4 and 6 sound agreeable.

I wonder though, they said that people would be able to play with each other regardless of what DLC they have, so the DLC can't affect game mechanics all that much, unlike EU3 expansions, can they?

As I understand it, in the launcher you choose which DLC will and won't be activated in the game. So if you have a DLC that you friend doesn't, you just turn off that DLC in the launcher to make your games the same again. When you're ready for single player again, just turn it back on in the launcher. It's neat.

Ask yourself the question why did they go from expansions to DLCs? Not because it's in the customer's best interest, but because it's a better sales scheme.

Ask yourself a question, make up an answer in your head, and then tell other people your non-evidence based answer is objectively correct, eh? You're an interesting guy, Dorbagar. :D

I'd like a tool for making appropriate coats of arms, even if it just draws from the existing in game options. I'm not sure it's a full DLC though.

Come on guys, DLC-ranting is like beating a dead horse. It's a constant déjà vu I'm seeing on these forums and it's quite annoying... there's been dozens of threads about that already, so try to stay on topic.

About possible DLCs, I'd very much like a "character creation" system like the OP mentioned, where you're also able to customise your Coat of Arms, for example. Before anyone says it's the easiest thing in the world to do manually by copying/moving files etc., I think it could be integrated into a simple 'editing program' with a GUI tool that lets you edit your character and also dynasty (children, uncles, etc.). That would be nice.

Playable republics/bishoprics would be a very interesting idea too, but not sure how it would fit within the dynasty concept.

I have heard there are lots of events in CK2, but even more event packs would also be great (and they don't have to be very expensive, I think).

A tool for modding in characters would be nice, in my opinion, especially since the code seems to be more complex than it was with CK1.

Ask yourself the question why did they go from expansions to DLCs? Not because it's in the customer's best interest, but because it's a better sales scheme.

Because its a shorter production cycle.

Ive been thinking about Republics and Theocracies.

Youd have factions instead of dynasties, registered by a second dynasty value. And you would play as leader of the faction and your task to make sure atleast one other landed same-religion theocracy or landed realm republic is held by a member of your faction before you die and then you are 'inherited' by the highest ranking landed member of the faction.
Maybe a simplified version of the EU3 trade mechanic could be brought in for Republics, with each realm capital as a CoT and each city barony and republic could compete for trade, boosting their income when theyre winning [so even as a feudal lord it would benefit you for your city/republic vassals to be doing well and hurt for them to be failing in trade.

Id hope the DLCs wouldnt be over 10 dollars, exchange rates can change that quite alot. You might be willing to pay 20 for something minor, but thats 25-35 or more for some.

As I understand it, in the launcher you choose which DLC will and won't be activated in the game. So if you have a DLC that you friend doesn't, you just turn off that DLC in the launcher to make your games the same again. When you're ready for single player again, just turn it back on in the launcher. It's neat.

That sounds quite reasonable, if it is like that. I was beginning to fear that these DLCs were going to be very superficial.

I would like to get a muslim DLC that also expands the map to the east and perhaps to Africa if there is going to be a DLC that makes muslims playable

I'd like a tool for making appropriate coats of arms, even if it just draws from the existing in game options. I'm not sure it's a full DLC though.

Oh, nice. I never enjoyed creating new flags in EU3 myself, so yeah, that might be worth a few dollars. The great thing about DLC is that you can never really have too small, because the price can always be made to reflect the size of the DLC. If the DLC is something aesthetic and minor, you just sell it for $2 to reflect that.

How is DLC any worse than expansions? The difference is that you are paying for the DLC in stages whereas you are expansion packs you are paying for it all at once. At least with the DLC you can pick and choose what you want as opposed to being forced to buy it all - like it or not. Even if they make enough DLC to overcome the price of a traditional expansion, at least you have variety.

I will probably buy everything they throw at me just because I am a P'Dox whore. That being said, don't you want to spend money on them so they make more games/DLCs/expansions and so forth? And I am not just talking about for this game. So what if it is a sales scheme? I want to see P'Dox excel and if this is how they feel they must do it then that is fine by me. It doesn't make them evil.

I don't like the old piracy witch hunt myself, so I'm not going to crack any jokes at your expense about how you have no games registered here, hohoho.

Speaking of which, I only have icons for games from the past few years showing, and none from earlier boxed game years. Do I assume correclty that the icon is linked directly to registration status for that game under the account?

Speaking of which, I only have icons for games from the past few years showing, and none from earlier boxed game years. Do I assume correclty that the icon is linked directly to registration status for that game under the account?

Yes.