• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi Guys,

This is my first post (I realize this is hardly relevant :D), but I have been lurking around the forums for sometime in guest
mode.

As to the question at hand, I agree with the OP that naval combat would be a good addition to the game. That being said, I think a fun, non-playable way to increase the role of the Merchant Republics would be to make them naval mercenaries.
They could be set up much like the religious orders, and even ask to build a city in a newly conquered territory (like the
knights do with castles). This would be a representation of the "quarters" that they often set up in coastal cities (particular-
ly the Levant). Couple this with a simple overseas trade/supply system and I think it would add another fun, immersive
mechanic to represent the time period.

I'm a new found PI addict (only EU III and Rome so far) and can hardly wait for this one to come out. Thanks for reading !

Welcome to the forums. Some good ideas there. :)

The Problem with Newfoundland and Greenland is, if something is on the map and in your religion culture group, than its part of the Unity, its Part of the 'International Community', its a player in the politics and plots and marriages and etc of Europe.
Something being explored or home to small colonies by people from europe is not the same as a place being brought into Europe. Its hard to see Greenland being actively involved in the affairs of the european nobility, its too far away and too sparsely populated whatever you do. Having it in as an event decision chain, maybe, but not an extension of the map.

I expect it would look something very vaguely reminiscent of EU Rome but simpler. That game was centered around the Roman Republic, factional politics and intrigue, and foreign challenges. There, the player played the country, not a particular faction unless role playing - the goal was to manage politics to achieve greatness for Rome (though there are factions better in some times than others).

In a Republic factions are potentially mutable, unlike hereditary bloodlines entitled to rule. Naturally successful republicans wouild want to social climib to bask in the reflected prestige of landholding nobility as you indicate. But that would not be the key of the game - lots of maneuvering and grooming people for high office, sabotaging others, directing spending to the "deserving" members of the political class, and hiighly personal retail politics focusing on the votes of whichever group makes the decisions. Foreign powers are also involved with different groups in the republic.

IN CK2 the council is appointed. In a Republic there would be lots of characters scheming to get on the council, whether it is just prestige and a rubber stamp or f it holds real power - thus a whole layer of activity we don't even think about in CK2.

EDIT: Bad cut and paste trying to break down the quotes. I also forgot to add in the political concept of the 3 estates - nobility, clergy, and burghers - with the towns, and of course the impact of the guilds. No need for COTs or refining the economics since the politics is where the fate of the factions is determined.

Unless you have Factions or parties or something like that for Republics to replace Dynasties, then how does it work from a game play point of view. How do you lose if it doesnt matter who succeed you. Thats the reason for my proposing Factions, not the history but game mechanics. If you need either your successor or another ruler being of your faction in order to survive the death of your character, then that mirrors the dynasty requirement to keep playing.
It would work alot better for Theocracies, as the church is universal so one faction could be felt from one end of europe to the other, so for Republics youd probably need an in the same realm restriction or something like that.

Hi Guys, This is my first post (I realize this is hardly relevant :D), but I have been lurking around the forums for sometime in guest
mode. As to the question at hand, I agree with the OP that naval combat would be a good addition to the game. That being said, I think a fun, non-playable way to increase the role of the Merchant Republics would be to make them naval mercenaries. They could be set up much like the religious orders, and even ask to build a city in a newly conquered territory (like the knights do with castles). This would be a representation of the "quarters" that they often set up in coastal cities (particular-ly the Levant). Couple this with a simple overseas trade/supply system and I think it would add another fun, immersive mechanic to represent the time period. I'm a new found PI addict (only EU III and Rome so far) and can hardly wait for this one to come out. Thanks for reading !

Welcome to the boards! Please enjoy your stay and try to assimilate quickly to our culture by making a lot of posts about how [your favourite country here] deserves more special attention than the others. :p

I really like the idea of naval mercenaries. I still think you should be able to build your own fleets of course, but having naval mercenaries as a back-up force or to serve as a primary force because you can't muster a big fleet on your own (like because you only have one port or something) would be awesome. :)

Welcome to the boards! Please enjoy your stay and try to assimilate quickly to our culture by making a lot of posts about how [your favourite country here] deserves more special attention:laugh: than the others. :p

Thanks for the welcome! They obviously ought to add the ability to discover America in this game because that is where I live! :p

It seems strange requesting DLC without ever have played the game yet but personally I'd like to see a lot of Events as DLC. Especially events that add flavour and evoke time and place.

RPG Event chains consistent with the time period. Almost like micro choose your own adventure quests perhaps.

You could have
Religious quest events
Chivalric quest events
Seasonal events
Mystic/Supernatural events

etc.

Just a thought.

I have always enjoyed playing as a Count, so in my ideal world there would/will eventually be some DLC that would include event chains tailored towards playing the lowest rung on the ladder of landed nobility. I'd gladly pay give Paradox my money if the DLC would include chains that address things like:

Establishing new pilgrimage roads/locations
Maintaining relations with local monasteries
Encouraging festivals and seasonal fairs to be established in your territory
Interacting with the local village leadership
Throwing feasts to entice the Duke to visit your county/give you a better chance of fostering his children
Extra flavor events if you are selected to foster

Things like that!

Also, with regards to Vinland: Instead of having it be on the map there could potentially be a "you have access to Vinland" modifier that would give you additional tax revenue and/or prestige. My understanding of Vinland was that it was primarily exploited for its forests (the Vikings used its superior trees for shipbuilding/sale on the European market), so by turning Vinland into a modifier you'd save yourself the effort of having to program an entire new region into the map while simultaneously giving the player a reward for following a difficult event chain. I could see the Vinland chain activating once you reach a certain level in technology/reach a certain year/have territory somewhere in the general vicinity of Iceland (which means that it would be feasible for England to island-hop over to North America but places like Byzantium or Jerusalem would be excluded from the chain)

I wouldn't pay money for anything that could be modded outside of the .exe file, so I doubt I'd get any DLC unless it is free or it adds an exceptional feature in the .exe, which won't happen outside of a major expansion.

Why not? I have a feeling the DLC would end up being like Dies Irae Götterdämmerung in HoI3, where it is just like a user made mod, but for sale. And it interferes with other mods.

As I understand it, in the launcher you choose which DLC will and won't be activated in the game. So if you have a DLC that you friend doesn't, you just turn off that DLC in the launcher to make your games the same again. When you're ready for single player again, just turn it back on in the launcher. It's neat.
That's one thing you can do.

But Johan said that it will also be possible for one player in an MP game to have access to DLC features the others do not have. So if there's a DLC revamping Holy Orders and only one guy in your multiplayer group buys it, he'll use the new mechanics. The AI will use the new mechanics. The rest of the group will be stuck with the old mechanics.

As for the point of this thread, right now the only DLC I really want is Tanistry. That's the Irish and Scottish inheritance system where all Princes of the ruling dynasty elect an heir right after the current ruler is crowned. This would add a lot of politicking to playing an Irish Duchy.

Nick

That would be unbelievably broken if one person has access to different rules to the other players. Can you link where Johan said that?

Unless you have Factions or parties or something like that for Republics to replace Dynasties, then how does it work from a game play point of view. How do you lose if it doesnt matter who succeed you. Thats the reason for my proposing Factions, not the history but game mechanics. If you need either your successor or another ruler being of your faction in order to survive the death of your character, then that mirrors the dynasty requirement to keep playing.
It would work alot better for Theocracies, as the church is universal so one faction could be felt from one end of europe to the other, so for Republics youd probably need an in the same realm restriction or something like that.

The challenge of a Republic like that in EU Rome is substantial, but, yes, you then would be managing families and factions for the survival of the republic, not a particular family an lose if the republic is overthrown or subjugated and its status changes.

As you say, maybe it would be better faction-based, with particular families arising and disappearing, and sometimes passing from one faction to another. The odd thing is that only the ruler at the time is landed – the other contenders who may go in and out of power may be landless (like courtiers, or the Pope!) except when they have control of a holding within the Republic.

Council seats are then a means to seek and gain control a holding? How to define factions is interesting – one must have at least two, but not an excessive number. Or maybe for simplicity each Republic has a castle, church and burgher faction to start, and families are all associated with one of these.

My preference would go to a random scenario generator, as I find it add much replayability as you don't know anymore what are the good provinces, dangerous enemies, etc...

A list of possible features, from the shallowest to the deepest:
- Random characters/dynasties and possessions (so England could be filled with pagans, Italy could be united and Germany split into independent duchies).
- Random de jure empires/kingdoms/duchies by either shifting borders around, or by generating fully random ones.
- Fully random map

The Problem with Newfoundland and Greenland is, if something is on the map and in your religion culture group, than its part of the Unity, its Part of the 'International Community', its a player in the politics and plots and marriages and etc of Europe.
Something being explored or home to small colonies by people from europe is not the same as a place being brought into Europe. Its hard to see Greenland being actively involved in the affairs of the european nobility, its too far away and too sparsely populated whatever you do. Having it in as an event decision chain, maybe, but not an extension of the map.

At least have Greenland anyway with access to Vinland as a bonus. Greenland's main export was ivory from walrus tusks and was quite profitable until mainland Europeans found another source.

Ivory was quite valuable and generated a fair amount of money.

Here's a snippet from a good article on the subject:

Did Elephants doom the Norse in Greenland?
A new article is examining the theory that Greenland's medieval Norse settlements were ruined by the collapse of the trade in walrus tusks, after ivory from elephants became more easily accessible for artisans in Europe.

In her article, "Desirable teeth: the medieval trade in Arctic and African ivory," Kirsten Seaver criticizes that idea, and puts forward her own theory about why the Norse settlers mysteriously vanished from Greenland sometime during the 15th century.

In 1998, Danish archaeologist Else wrote an article which suggested that in the beginning of the fourteenth century, a surplus of reasonably priced elephant ivory from Africa caused ivory from walrus tusks to lose its market share, which were so catastrophic that it eventually led to the collapse of the entire Norse Greenland colony.

http://medievalnews.blogspot.com/2009/12/did-elephants-doom-norse-in-greenland.html

Simply make it so that only viking longboats can reach Greenland until the 15th century. Then you won't have any problems with countries taking it over. (Unlike Iceland in the game. Ugh*)

My preference would go to a random scenario generator, as I find it add much replayability as you don't know anymore what are the good provinces, dangerous enemies, etc...

- Random characters/dynasties and possessions (so England could be filled with pagans, Italy could be united and Germany split into independent duchies).
- Random de jure empires/kingdoms/duchies by either shifting borders around, or by generating fully random ones.
- Fully random map

Interesting...

I don't know how possible random scenarios would be with there being so much required information for the game, but I'm sure the modding community will come up with some different scenarios.

- Fully random map

not sure but I think there was a modded scenario like this for CK1.
the main problem here is to have a coherent map that's not just pure randomness is gifted at.

not sure but I think there was a modded scenario like this for CK1.
the main problem here is to have a coherent map that's not just pure randomness is gifted at.

The easiest way to do it would be have a map of equal hexagonal provinces. Itd be boring but if every time the de-jures and cultures and everything were random that might make up for it.

- Fully random map

+ This

Or if that's too much for developers to pull off how about Alternate History post-Apocalyptic or post-Black Death expansion/DLC . It would take place close to the end of game's timeline but would add another 400 or so years, to 1700 or so. WHOT? you say. Please bear with me :)

BUT THE CATCH is all the major ruling families died off or lost some of their power and new ruling dynasties and even former lowborn families arose. Much of the science has been lost or remained unchanged as science and technology ground to a stop during plague years, justifying the expansion of timeline well into what should have been Baroque and Enlightenment Eras. A much needed fresh start for those too familiar with the original game's 1066 scenario start but still wishing to play an epic Grand Campaign legth experience.

Last edited: