+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [TIPS] General Japan Tips

[TIPS] General Japan Tips

I decided to step out of the European theatre today and try my hand at unifying Japan. I chose Toki, and quickly realised a few things:

1) You should declare war day 1. After that, everyone guarantees everyone and alliances make general expansion nearly impossible.
    2) Why keep a navy? Until you have the power base to do so, don't bother having ships. Any opponents who have to transport troops to your territory can only ship 1 or 2 men at a time, easily slaughtered as they come.
    3) Get merchants in those CoTs fast. The extra income is invaluable, only replaceable if you conquer good territory early.

Anyone else have tips on playing a Daimyo? I'm still stumbling about with it, learning various things about the East Asian Theatre.

My biggest tip; be prepared to cheat when things get weird. Japan is not a healthy piece of coding right now and you will notice a good many bugs. One day in the future we might get there.

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    83 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips (and, Blxz, for the reminder of the unfinished feature... okay, okay... unstarted feature ).

Not the first tip thread i see... i'll link it in the stickied FAQ thread.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    (and, Blxz, for the reminder of the unfinished feature... okay, okay... unstarted feature ).

Just doing my part to keep you on your toes

83 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Yeah... an dmy toes are starting to ache
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop

So what exactly are the bugs/unfinished features for Japan? I am currently in a game right now as Shimazu? Also, does anyone know how to actually form Japan? Or Become Shogun? I have conquered or vassalized 80% of the provinces, and I got promoted to Sengoku Han a while ago. But I have have never had an event or anything related to the Shogun, or becoming Shogun, or unifying Japan...

I got into a war with Pegu because they had guaranteed Date, but now it seems impossible to make peace with them. The sue for peace button is clickable, but it instantly exits out of the negotiation window. Is this a bug? Or is it because I am not Shogun, or haven't formed Japan yet?

Ok, so I set my game back to a save 40 years prior to the Pegu nonsense, and played from there, but somehow Date ends up allied with pegu yet again. I don't understand how/why this is happening. I took control of Pegu to try and break all ties to Japanese kingdoms, but they are incapable of interacting with any of them--except for Japan itself. But they have no treaties or alliances or anything with Japan. So how the hell are they becoming Date's ally?

Second Lieutenant
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

try to start the save with japan (the 1 province nation) and offer them a peace deal. save again, without pressing play, and start with your nation. if you are lucky, they accept (if you had enough war stand or however it's called) and you are free to play.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by jconwayusa View Post
    Ok, so I set my game back to a save 40 years prior to the Pegu nonsense, and played from there, but somehow Date ends up allied with pegu yet again. I don't understand how/why this is happening. I took control of Pegu to try and break all ties to Japanese kingdoms, but they are incapable of interacting with any of them--except for Japan itself. But they have no treaties or alliances or anything with Japan. So how the hell are they becoming Date's ally?
    If I had to guess, I would say it's likely a result of the trading post events... I've seen them cause alliances between daimyos before.

And question of my own for y'all... I've heard a lot about the dissolution of the shogunate being broken. If I wanted to unite Japan by event, is there anything special I would need to do so that the game and Japan AI would work properly? (I wouldn't be playing as them.) Or would having JPN annex all the daimyos be enough?
    The Chronicles of the Norse - A Jorvik AAR (CK2, active)

Pine, Bamboo, and Plum - A Song AAR (EU3 MEIOU, dead for foreseeable future)
    Winner: Weekly AAR Showcase 11/20/11 - Character Writer of the Week 12/4/11, 10/7/12 - AARland Choice AwAARd Q4 2011, Q3 2012

Darkest HourEuropa Universalis: Chronicles

Well, Japan annexing all the daimyos would essentially be the exact same thing as uniting Japan as a daimyo. JAP exists the entire time, so what happens when a daimyo unites Japan is that they inherit Japan, and then tag-switch to JAP (in that order, of course).

So there's literally no difference between the two unifications, apart from how to get there. The end result will be identical.

JAP doesn't have the shogunate interface either, I believe, so doing anything with it is unecessary.
    GENERATION 38: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -General Norman Schwarzkopf
    (Sorry, I just had to! :P)

83 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bananafishtoday View Post
    If I had to guess, I would say it's likely a result of the trading post events... I've seen them cause alliances between daimyos before.
    I can see the trading post feature creating issues with wars, but there is no way it can create alliances.
    •

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    I can see the trading post feature creating issues with wars, but there is no way it can create alliances.
    Isn't there an option that gives you an alliance if they sell you the province? I'm pretty sure I got an alliance with Bengal through the trading post feature in one of my games.

83 games registered

Blog Entries
    Sorry, you're right. I didn't script the feature, Fuzzbug did.... so i forgot a couple of things

I'll scrap those aspects from the events dealing with japanese provinces, at least when they are owned by daimyos.
    •

Place strategic aliances (and accept all that where proposed to you).
    DoW some beafy targets.

Make sure you have most land in Japan.

Become Kampoku.

Use your new shiny CB to get VASSALS all over the map!
    Become Shogun.

Get both decisions (or was it just one?).

Get abdication from Shogun post.

Become Kampoku.

Use your new shiny CB to get VASSALS all over the map! (and few new provinces maybe?).

Reapeat at infinitum, till you are Japan!

(PS latter on you can disbans your land force to bare minimum, since your zombies (vassals) will do the work just fine, but keep NAVAL force at or over limit!)

+ Reply to Thread