• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Note, now it will be even harder to do so with Zulu, and one of my goals. uniting africa, was possible with Sokoto in former times. And without some conquests in China it wouldn't have been possible. I use every measure to turn each part or the world into a 2nd,3rd,4th,etc. ruhr valley :) and I guess it isn't possible to do a WC anymore ( even not with UK). Besides, that many topics are more plausible now, it is easier to manage forces, the new mapmodes help a lot too, improvements in economics and less micromanagement if you manage your factories by your own, and many more.
Anyway, I wanted to show, that it is still possible with any nation ( normally Zulu is mentioned for an example of a backward,weak nation ) to become the empire under the sun - and I believe, I have achieved this :)

I don't get why people complain that you are able to achieve success with small/backward nations. If I wanted stiff strictly history based gameplay, I'd probably go read some history books instead. It's great that you can change history with your effort, as long as u don't abuse any exploits.

To weigh in on this argument: I don't mind if the player has the potential to achieve ahistorical success with small nations provided the AI doesn't.

Podcat said:
its harder now after tweaks so I'm not sure if its still possible, but i prefer as much as possible being open to the player.
That's good to hear :) .

Yodaime said:
I don't get why people complain that you are able to achieve success with small/backward nations. If I wanted stiff strictly history based gameplay, I'd probably go read some history books instead. It's great that you can change history with your effort, as long as u don't abuse any exploits.
Well, in my case it's this: in 1836, different countries have different problems and strengths. The USA is plunged into an early war with Mexico, but gets smooth sailing from there, Prussia has to manage a complex sphere and make plans to take on the big boys, Russia needs to increase literacy, Zulu needs to civilise. By 1920, whether you're playing Zulu or Great Britain, you're conquering parts of China and building Dreadnoughts... the variation gets eroded if every country gets to be the #1 power.

By 1920, whether you're playing Zulu or Great Britain, you're conquering parts of China and building Dreadnoughts... the variation gets eroded if every country gets to be the #1 power.
very true. It is somewhat ismilar to EU3. No metter who you start after about 40years you`re just a huge, sprawling, multi culture empire. That is no different whomever you play. The inability of AIs to effectively grow/reduce the grow of player/maintain balance of power is the huge problem.

Also the AIs inability to use troops good makes Human capable of doing whatever without danger of being punished for too aggressive policy.

In fact I don't see why this game lasts so long in the first place, Victorian Era ended in 1901 and that's when this game should end as well. Not to mention that last 30 years of the game is when engine can't handle it and it lags like crazy.

In fact I don't see why this game lasts so long in the first place, Victorian Era ended in 1901 and that's when this game should end as well. Not to mention that last 30 years of the game is when engine can't handle it and it lags like crazy.

performance seems fine for me. we did a lot of optimizing for endgame stuff in AHD. Of course some mods will create enormous amounts of pops which murder your CPU.

To weigh in on this argument: I don't mind if the player has the potential to achieve ahistorical success with small nations provided the AI doesn't.

I would imagine you will be happy in that case. the way I see it this is the best of both worlds, you can go crazy with a relatively weak nation if you want to and know how to, but as the UK you don't usually need to worry about Johorian troops landing in London.

Cool!

How did you manage to settle the uncolonized inland of Mozambique after taking over the states from Portugal but before civilizing?

Cool!

How did you manage to settle the uncolonized inland of Mozambique after taking over the states from Portugal but before civilizing?

Portugal stayed as secondary power and also was for some years a GP .. and was influencing me, sadly . And in this time Portugal colonized the inland states. One/some provinces have a quite high life rating there and this allows them to do so quite early. You can see in the image of the early 60's what I have conquered from them. And a colony stay as a colony, even when conquered by an unciv nation. Took then some time until I got some Zulu and Sotho bureaucrats there.

:eek:
I'm very, very impressed!
Many Thanks!

The problem -IMNHO- is not the success of small/backward nations, but that success with them is the same as success with the UK or France, namely being #1 in score. Success with the Zulu should be surviving or maybe conquering a few extra states.

Moreover, states and especially great powers are terribly conservative. The UK or France would never have allowed such a power to rise in Africa. For me at least does the lack of a very basic and fundamental part of politics breaks the suspension of disbelieve.

Portugal stayed as secondary power and also was for some years a GP .. and was influencing me, sadly . And in this time Portugal colonized the inland states. One/some provinces have a quite high life rating there and this allows them to do so quite early. You can see in the image of the early 60's what I have conquered from them. And a colony stay as a colony, even when conquered by an unciv nation. Took then some time until I got some Zulu and Sotho bureaucrats there.

Thanks! I was curious about the Portugal colonizing part, I've never seen Portugal colonizing thus far in Vanilla. Why do have they chosen Mozambique rather than, say, Angola is still curious!

The problem -IMNHO- is not the success of small/backward nations, but that success with them is the same as success with the UK or France, namely being #1 in score. Success with the Zulu should be surviving or maybe conquering a few extra states.

Moreover, states and especially great powers are terribly conservative. The UK or France would never have allowed such a power to rise in Africa. For me at least does the lack of a very basic and fundamental part of politics breaks the suspension of disbelieve.

Bear in mind Alknic is a very good player. Few people would be able to pull this off.

Bear in mind Alknic is a very good player. Few people would be able to pull this off.

Many thanks, but I doubt that I'm a very good player, more I'm the beelzeboss.
I take every measure and don't mind ethics nor responsible politics - der Fürst / the prince. :eek:hmy: and therefor many examples can be given ( too long to list here ;))

however it was close and also awared the great european powers. And so increased realation with UK as long as I have need them. Because I hadn't diplomats to increase relation with France I have avoid to get a border with them. And my biggest luck probably was, that the big 3 nations haven't dow me to the same time - that I have feared more than anything else and believed to be unavoidable, but even then I guess I had a chance - it's the art of war

Anyway there are many screenshots with new AHD functions in this aar, anyone has questions about them - about the new AHD features ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can popular movements be "helped"? Did you see a Fascist popular movement?

Can popular movements be "helped"? Did you see a Fascist popular movement?
You can "help" movements with surpression ^^ and iirc there were some commies and AL in the 60's-90's around the world and Zulu got many reforms past, did very well to fullfilll needs, and didn't have revanchism - so no problems with rebels nor fascists. But I believe I have only attached one image about the politics after Zulu has been civilized. And I still need more time to understand the new movement, supression, politics system until I could say what helps and what really "helps" - it's very mighty ;)

Totally agree