• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AlknicTeos

Erzmagier
105 Badges
Jan 30, 2006
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • PDXCON 2018 "The King"
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • PDXCon 2019 "King"
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Surviving Mars
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Rome Gold
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • March of the Eagles
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Pride of Nations
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
The legacy of Shaka
LJWt4.jpg

I will write this AAR bilingually ( english here, german here ). My goals are to become #1, unite Africa, and to not lose a single battle north the equator. The last goal comes from the Anglo-Zulu War in which the UK lost a major battle south of the equator.
The United Kingdom is our neighbour from the beginning and has its dangers and opportunities. The danger of a war is there, but to be a sphereling of UK or France has its economical advantages, protection against wars, gives more technologies when westernising and benefiting from the master's tech school. On the long way to #1 there are changes with AHD, that makes life sometimes easier and sometimes harder. And there are many changes.

I like spoilers to structure

(notes : will post English/German separate )
30's
The starting position of Zulu is poor.
VYQVn.jpg

Uncivilized, poor, narrow-minded, tiny, small population – simply poor. Worse compared with the modern states. With a view to the neighbours : UK, Portugal, Transvaal and Oranje the position of Zulu doesn't become better. But compared with Transvaal and Oranje I have an army and they do not. I have already a Border with UK and Portugal and so wouldn't change anything if I conquer those both OSM's. As some may already have read, there are War Justifications now, and with them war goals don't cost infamy anymore, as long as they are not revealed.

YdBb3.jpg

Gp4a2.jpg

One of the AHD changes is the ability to justify wars, let's look how much I can conquer until the colonization of Africa. Besides the 2 OSM's near me I have an eye on Madagascar, Tunis, Morocco, Ethiopia and Sokoto.

Further, I balanced the budget, set clergy NF and don't research. Uncivilized nations can't research as usual, instead they can pass reforms for RP, and with enough reforms passed, civilize. The normal reforms aren't available for uncivilized nations.

fr6QZ.jpg

Nice, my WJ speed is increased. But more important is, that events pause the game immediately and won't go on, even when pressing unpause, until you have chosen an option. I really like this feature.
fx1Ew.jpg

Sadly, my WJ has been discovered. But 10.6 infamy is still cheap for Transvaal. The infamy is added when discovered, not when declaring war.
lHdx4.jpg

My first WJ is finished and with a diplomat I will DoW. A finished CB lasts for one year. If you look exactly, you will see that the time isn't displayed grey. Because it's only a notification and a manual pause.
hOSxE.jpg

Dow Transvaal and get a good general
ATjCf.jpg

and my troops don't fight bad. The whole army of Transvaal has been destroyed and I'm going to occupy everything.
VKl54.jpg
40's
Until 1841 I improve 2 times the relation with UK and wait until infamy drops a little bit. At 1.1. I begin with a Conquest WJ against Oranje and luckily this time not discovered. Further I build 4 transport ships.

In 43/44 I conquer Madagascar for 11.6 infamy and appoint a liberal party. The next years I will be at peace to come down from the 15 infamy. Sadly, every conquest is bad for a fast westernization. Especially when the conquered states have low literacy and low clergymen numbers, and only one NF for five states. But it's positive, that infamy increase Con and so pluralism a little bit.

Pivsw.jpg

In this image you can see, that it isn't possible to justify a war, when the relation is better than 50 – UK won't attack me. And the Brits have influenced me already to cordial. Sadly they don't influence
continuously, but I will improve relations with UK further because relation have now an impact to influence speed ( 20% more at 200 relations).

UkSnu.jpg

It's still too early to talk about the fastest way to civilize, but higher education efficiency is something I always like. Especially with low literacy nations it's something to solve earlier rather than later. And I have to wait some years to do another war.

s0EeN.jpg

1849 could be an important year.
France DoW UK and Austria DoW Prussia. UK is allied with Prussia and Portugal, France with Switzerland, Italy, and Belgium. Austrians fight together with SGF-states and Prussians fight together with NGF-states. This war could be a world war , and I guess that France/Austria will win fast.

YsUST.jpg

Prussian view.

The Brits sadly still don't influence me properly, but I'm already at friendly opinion.

Later in this year I plan to conquer Ethiopia. They have won in a war against Egypt, gained the Asmara region, and have now 1,34M population. It will decrease overall literacy, but maybe UK will influence me better. Therefor I change to a conservative party (as military policy affects WJ speed).
50's
Luckily another infamy-free war and, my troops are prepared. Prussia made peace with France, but Prussia only has 26 brigades left and is outnumbered by the Austrians.

JLif5.jpg

During my war France adds the repay debts CB against Hanover, allied with UK, and makes peace. Not the best move from France. Some months later Austria gets Schlesia from Prussia , a very good campaign from and for Austria. Now I'd like to conquer Tunis and Morocco, but a border with France while not having +50 relation could be too risky. Better to conquer some states with higher literacy and clergymen. Yemen, Oman and Abu Dhabi with literacy of 10%-20% are better goals at the moment.

In 1852 some reactionaries revolt against the modernization of Zulu and get clubbed back down again, but in Japan those reactionary forces win and reset their westernization progress.

After the Yemen war the CSA declares independence in 1853 while I prepare a war against Oman. After that I will appoint a liberal party and stay at peace for some years. Sadly, Portugal influences me and so I don't become a UK sphereling.

Zl28y.jpg

On the picture it can be seen, that Zulu has become much bigger in states and population. USA white peaces with CSA.

In the next years another French-UK war starts, but without direct and broad land connections between the countries, hardly anything changse and finally ends in a white peace.

h2rnX.jpg

That happens when reactionary forces have "success“
60's
One day Portugal isn't a GP anymore and eventually becomes a British sphereling in February 1862. Meanwhile I enact, with the advantage of the British tech school, a third reform – now I have 30% civilization progress
http://imgur.com/lHdx4,hOSxE,ATjCf,...Wt4,rIKvb,YVdZ4,VYQVn,YdBb3,Gp4a2,fr6QZ,fx1Ew
With AHD there are many new map views. One of these is the Sphere of Influence mapmode – British view

Under the British sphere I don't get tariffs anymore and appoint a conservative party and raise taxes and only pay for education.

Portugal has acquired somewhere too much infamy and I DoW Portugal. At this point many big nations are already at war with them. After some years and some infamy the Zulu empire shines a little brighter and slowly research rates increase. 30 years after start:
rIKvb.jpg

On 11.1.1867 I take a 4th reform and have a look to the other Unciv nations.
YVdZ4.jpg

Zulu isn't that bad, but with this civilization mapmode I can see that Burma has passed already 75%.

Attachments

• 250px-KingShaka.jpg
    250px-KingShaka.jpg
    39,4 KB · Views: 99
  • fig1-start.jpg
    fig1-start.jpg
    41,5 KB · Views: 186
  • fig2-wj1.jpg
    fig2-wj1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 181
  • fig4-wj2.jpg
    fig4-wj2.jpg
    46,7 KB · Views: 186
  • fig5-reforms.jpg
    fig5-reforms.jpg
    80,2 KB · Views: 191
Last edited by a moderator:
I.2

long 70's
DztWH.jpg

On the loading screen there is now the 2nd scenario and games can be saved now in the format autosave_ZUL_date. It's also possible to set it to save each month. It can be fascinating and practical for some observations, but needs a lot of space.

International, France is #1, the disunited USA at #2 and UK #3. But they are all in a small range.

cp9c5.jpg

The population benefits of being in British sphere, but my budget doesn't. I also get money from Portugal for only some more month and have now to cut the spending education. There are reforms which improve productivity, but in reason of some effects they aren't effective towards westernization. It isn't an easy decision, but I guess cutting the eduction spending will be the best I can do.

In October '71 my RP rate increase to 5/day and I'm at 55% Civ Progress. Burma has 90%. USA is united and #1, and France/UK fight for #2. Austria has taken Posen from Prussia and the future doesn't look fine for Prussia.

In February '74 the RP rate increase to 5,5/day. And Liberia is civilized with the help of USA.

In June '75 Zulu got 70% westernization progress and Burma is civilized. Fortunately still no one is colonizing Africa, but this will change in September.

IPin2.jpg

On the map the colonization progress can be seen now. I would have been happy, if the colonization would have started later. I could think of conquest again. I had an eye on Sindh, but in the far future - war against UK it would be a worse base. I play with the thought to build a fortification in Persia, Afghanistan and Panjab against British-India. And so I'm going to conquer Sokoto. From there I will have a better colonization base and offers also more population. Sadly Sokoto isn't developed, but still the best choice at the moment. I also need at least 2 wars against, and so I prepare for the first. I could replace my irregulars with modern troops with the military reforms I've made, but my finances do not allow this yet.
I want it all … but have to wait

In UK there was a communist revolution… now I'm no longer in a sphere… I hope,that no other bad news will follow, but I can invest into eduction with full spending again.

'78 USA influences me – slowly, but let's hope. France begins with colonization and some months later Prussia too.

'79
zsfIa.jpg

unciv 80's
'80
USA conquered 2 states from Japan.

Now I'm an American sphereling.

aYBMc.jpg

I can take a further reform with 30 % progress and have now 100% - let's westernize!
Jal4K.jpg

H6TGj.jpg

Finally!

FcBY8.jpg

I had hoped that I would get more technologies, but better than nothing. On the long way to the #1 just every other country blockades me :rolleyes:. A new age has begun!

Attachments

• fig 27 - last tech.jpg
    fig 27 - last tech.jpg
    283,3 KB · Views: 107
  • fig 26 - col II.jpg
    fig 26 - col II.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 107
  • fig 25 - UK_colonize.jpg
    fig 25 - UK_colonize.jpg
    196,2 KB · Views: 93
  • fig 24 - Budget.jpg
    fig 24 - Budget.jpg
    266,1 KB · Views: 99
  • fig 23 - Save games.jpg
    fig 23 - Save games.jpg
    176,8 KB · Views: 99
II – Will to Power

modern 80's
At the moment the status of the Zulu can be seen as quite poor.
gp5RY.jpg

Civilized indeed, also not that small anymore, some population, but still poor and in many areas under-developed. I underestimated the last changes and so my goal of an united africa moves far away. To become #1 is still possible and also to not lose a bigger battle north the equator. Until now I have only lost a small battle against rebels, but rebel don't count ;). However, I won't be able to get some lands through colonization and to conquer uncivilized states won't be that useful… For now I have to improve the economy.

k8kxD.jpg

I have some money, but not enough. The costs for all building have been raised extremely, as you can see at the building costs here. Anyway, I start to build a winery.

Still I have 6k RP and because I won't colonize anything I'm going to research Philosophy( +50rp%/+100rp%).

mEK6q.jpg

With AHD "old“ technologies are cheaper to research, depending on how many years past from tech year on. And only 100 rp/day can be spent from saved RP now ( prior it was 1k/day) and so it's hardly an advantage to spare RP for "key“ technologies anymore.

YJGQp.jpg

Some month later I got a well balanced budget and begin to train 12 infantry troops with just one click. And this also works with ships. I like to build huge armies/navies with just very few clicks.

L5CwQ.jpg

Another great thing is the migration mapmode. Here it's quite easy to track the migration flows.

dN1Xi.jpg

In the next 16 years I manage to increase rank from 34th to 8th. I have conquered some states in Asia and the conquest of Japan, better said the last parts of Japan, was a very good decision.

MOaBn.jpg

After the philosophy and +education-eff technologies I researched some other techs out of all trees. The enormous RP decrease for old technologies brings a faster research catchup. Also in economics big improvements were made.

HFDYb.jpg

Afghanistan, Brunei and some indian states have also made the jump into modern age. If uncivilized nations should have not fallen to reactionary rebels they will be now about 75% progress.

F2S92.jpg

In this mapmode you can see the nations displayed depending on their rank – Zulu #8 ;). Russia and Prussia did quite worse while Austria is #4. I saw this trend beginning with the big war in 1849-51.

aUBwK.jpg

And in this mapmode you can see the dominant nationality. Slowly South africa becomes british and french africa french. With only 3,2% real Zulu in my empire it will take longer until the map will change. ... paint it black

Attachments

• fig 35 - migration.jpg
    fig 35 - migration.jpg
    480,2 KB · Views: 109
  • fig 34- build an army.jpg
    fig 34- build an army.jpg
    236,9 KB · Views: 86
  • fig 33 - rp.jpg
    fig 33 - rp.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 91
  • fig 32 - costs.jpg
    fig 32 - costs.jpg
    165,2 KB · Views: 93
  • fig 31 - 1882.jpg
    fig 31 - 1882.jpg
    386,4 KB · Views: 103
II.2

1900's
pJRDO.jpg

Another nice feature is to cancel all subsidies. Also, all closed factories can be opened or open factories closed – depending what you match. Anyway, as GP I don't have problems to sell my goods on the world market.

9Fkpl.jpg

On the civilization mapmode colonies are black-lined. Most Colonies have already been turned to full states. The colonies I got from Portugal are ready to become states. At the last one I help with a NF. In the outliner ( see right ) the NF's give more information, like bureaucrats percentage.

JzTU1.jpg

Very handy: in the state you can now also click to build factories there

OyMeq.jpg

and you can build multiple structures at the same time. Forts, ports, and railroads can now be build parallel.

In 1902 I got more than 1M accepted population. The base for 1 NF has been lowered to 0,5M and so I have 2 NF.

1909 China managed to become civilized and I plan to take some land from them. In terms of military they can't compete with me. Also, I have the 4th biggest standing army now, and it's quite modern.
Nj5k0.jpg

Chinese campaign : 1910 - 1913
After some large battles China is down. Also on the picture – some of my biggest "hits" … beat it
aJbvU.jpg

Sadly I'm very close to the infamy-cap. But I want more and so I have to go over the cap. Still I have 200 relation with all big countries and allied with USA and have except one artillery tech every military tech.

And so I take the bad reputation in exchange for a big population boom. I hope to have some time to build a bigger army for the upcoming war – the ( unavoidable ) world war against Zulu.

67rgu.jpg

I take 3 states from China. I don't want to push my luck over the limit. UK started a WJ against France. If those states are at war, then I only need to watch out for the USA. My relations already have suffered, but still over 100 with the other big ones. Also sad is, that through the conquer my research rate had been lowered. ... eat it

After I build some factories and set a rally point, where new build troops will move and merge to one army and I can recruit some more troops now.
kqNcM.jpg

f390N.jpg

On the Image there is an old army, but more important is the balance button. Here one force got split into 2. With this both features ( rally-merging point and balance button ) and the fast way to recruit troops, the management of all forces is now far better. I couldn't play without them anymore.

Je3SH.jpg

Another nice Feature is the leader's prestige ( see left ), depending on success in combat they gain prestige. This one that I hover over did well in the chinese war and will lead troops even better in future. And this general ( see right ) already has awesome stats.

Attachments

• fig 45 - stehende armee.jpg
    fig 45 - stehende armee.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 91
  • fig 44 - simultan.jpg
    fig 44 - simultan.jpg
    153,1 KB · Views: 95
  • fig 43 - prov-fab.jpg
    fig 43 - prov-fab.jpg
    106,9 KB · Views: 88
  • fig 42 - turn to state.jpg
    fig 42 - turn to state.jpg
    417,4 KB · Views: 110
  • fig 41- unsubsizdize all.jpg
    fig 41- unsubsizdize all.jpg
    213,7 KB · Views: 93
III. Jumping the Shark, Video

1914-24
In the next years I tech for navy and build up a fleet.

After truce with china ended, I'm going for another war. And then, on 1.4.1919 USA dows me. The battles will be in Japan.

I lose 2 small battles against the USA, but they only have about 150 brigades stationed in Japan from their 1000 total and within short time I shipped in more than enough troops. The USA has gas defense and I had higher losses on my side until I invent them by myself and finally destroy their forces in Japan.

h5OFb.jpg

Most important battle in this war

I ship more troops from africa/west asia to china. After my forces have occupied japan I take them back to the war against china, which I had to start earlier since otherwise the 1-year would have past and my CB would have expired. Beside that, I have to keep my relations with UK high.

2eF1a.jpg

China, even with their 750 brigades, implodes very fast. January 1921 I make peace with USA and get Osaka. After I prepare war against UK, which I can finish before truce with USA ends.

1uly8.jpg

like flies!

With the building of a huge navy I become #1 in military terms. My budget knows especially one position.
3mpId.jpg

At the most expensive time, some years later, the fleet cost me about 100k a day.

UK : 24-28
In Africa borders haven't changed for ages.
3NoV5.jpg

But the nationality did.
uH3Vu.jpg

On 3.9.1924 I finally dow as #2 now the #3, UK. My plan is to blitzkrieg in south-africa, then west-Africa, and finally India.

I got about 450+ brigades for this war planned. UK starts with 850 brigades and mobilize one month later which got them 1450 Brigades total.

After 6 months there are no British troops in south africa anymore. Soon after, none in west Africa either. Finally there is no threat in India and start to occupy the british islands after I have blockaded with my dreadnoughts for month and years.
DKdVd.jpg

I conquer the UK allies. From the Brits I take some African and Indian states.

BYquU.jpg

In april 1928 peace has returned and the USA haven't DoWed me after our truce has ended, which makes me believe no nation will DoW me anymore – total military supremacy! And I'm far over the limit - 685 / 25 Infamy.

Another nice change is scaled prestige through war. Fighting nations with high prestige make the wargoal bring/cost more prestige. For my wargoals I get about 200 prestige, while UK lose about 500 and now are ranked 36th in terms of prestige. Now I'm the #1 in military and prestige.

Economically I have some pressure through my high military upkeep, but this will get better with time. Industrial I'm #3, like my number of craftsmen.
cC6ba.jpg

But the other nations also had about three times more time.
2KHBk.jpg

I have about 8 years to surpass the USA's rank. A war against USA is of course an option. But anyone who already fight a war in late game against USA knows, it won't go fast and will be bloody for both sides. So I plan a war against france to connect my african states. In case of emergency I build up even a bigger navy to become #1.

Anyway in the last 10y I did very well. Almost perfect attunement of economics, naval and other research, very good estimation of troop allocation – but not perferct, lost 3 middle-sized battles in north Africa just 1month before reinforcements got there, very well estimated infamy, and of course avoiding what I believed to be the unavoidable word war against me – letting me beat them one by one. And the very best, with AHD features for the management of army and navy has become very fast.

last years will follow tomorrow ... later today ...

Attachments

• The world in 1936.jpg
    The world in 1936.jpg
    299,2 KB · Views: 402
IV. The final countdown

FR : 29-33
I need some time until I got the troops positioned.
yupl7.jpg

Now I have the biggest army. The french have about 200 brigades and mobilize further 400.

CewRJ.jpg

S4UTw.jpg

The combat width depends now on the terrain. In mountains and with the latest army techs the width reduced to 3. And the most french troops in Europe try to intercept my troops. In Africa the french have been destroyed and take then French Europe as their allies. And conquer some minors besides.
S4UTw.jpg

It's too late for another big war and eat even more small states, but for wars in future I would have a nice foothold in europe - Zulu Europe :)
dfcaB.jpg

Final countdown 33-35
Even, when I was able to shorten the distance to USA, so there are still some points missing - have to build more ships

olHtP.jpg

I guess, they are right. I'm the Beezleboss… in the end I have 1130 Infamy, but I also attract some people from abroad.
1DJz7.jpg

( dec. 1936 )

yfDIY.jpg

With my mighty fleet I finally got the first place.

jnj5I.jpg

The fleet cost me up to 175k.

9aoJ6.jpg

To Increase military score further, I switch to jingoism party on 1.12.1935.

QE87y.jpg

16.12.1935, last tech has been researched. I got every tier 4 tech, 18/25 tier 5 and 9/25 tier 6 techs.

30.12.1935, I dow China another time ( to get some military score ).

Game over
JLdRL.jpg

zmSxU.jpg

Finally I got 7k more score than USA.

re2NM.jpg

For the very populated nation of Zulu the 47% literacy aren't bad, not bad compared to Russia or OE. In military, some nations would have to combine their forces to have a little chance of success against me.

With another 10y, I maybe could have beaten USA also in industrial score and could have made some more steps towars unification of africa and connection of my lands. I have lost overall about 10 battles north the aquator, 3 against rebels, and 3 middle sized battles against UK. Only to become #1 has been achieved.

The starting position for the next age is superior.
qYbzd.jpg

Civilized, very rich, many technologies, biggest nation, most population and far the biggest military - simply, total supremacy.

Wäre ganz schön wenn du die Bilder direkt in den Text einfügen könntest, so wie es gerade aussieht... naja :D
images should be in the text - don't mind the img-spoilers

wow, Zulu as a GP

It's been done. :)

Is there any way to turn off the auto event pause feature? It would really put a dent into hands-off games, especially if it applies to those smaller events (like "discriminatory school system" for example).