• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the info Johan, this looks to be going in a great and positive direction!

To answer your first question: no, I have yet to play any Age-based games.

But, nevertheless: wow. That is quite a comprehensive system - I had no idea. :eek:

My apologies. I can now see why users are somewhat hesitant of using Clausewitz over the previous engine.

Thank you for that. I think there is a bit too much negativity by the ageod fans (a group in which I most wholeheartedly include myself) about paradox titles, and vice versa a lack of understanding an appreciation by the broader paradox community of the ageod engine and its unique appeal.

As others here have said, I was initially a tad disappointed to hear of the Clausewitz engine being used, but remain hopeful and confident that if done right it can actually provide a very good match.

Simplified sounds a bit wrong, but in HoI3 the supply network is a fair bit more complex than a few supply chains propagating resources.

Just cause the system in HoI3 handles it for you does not mean that the model is not complex.

I see what you're saying from a technical perspective here, Johan, but to a player (and I have played both a lot) the ageod supply model certainly gives the illusion of more depth, because you, as the player, have more options and can interfere in a number of ways, whereas hoi3 was very hands off (as you said, it's all handled by the system).

Moreover, the system was prone to doing a few silly things under certain conditions which left the player feeling a bit helpless.

I'm not trying to say which was better here (and from your correction, I appreciate that you were not either), comparing the two is apples and oranges. But the ageod supply system certainly works marvellously in it's native engine.

I take here some informations from RedRalphWiggum (he was the fan chosen to be following the Paradox Convention, and he had the opportunity of having some words with the Philippes and a closer glance to Napoleon's Campaigns 2)

Next up was Napoleon's Campaigns II. This presentation blew me away. Using the Clausewitz engine, the guys from Paradox France are developing a war game simulating the Napoleonic era, with fighting mainly taking place in Europe, but also in India, North America and various other locations around the globe. Visually, the richly-detailed sprites look incredible, the combat system is first rate and the map is perfect for this era. The two Phillipes who presented it are incredibly passionate about their work (this is apparent from the second they start talking) and I'm convinced NC2 will be a huge hit, even amongst people who haven't played a Paradox France game before. I never have, but I'll definitely be buying this game.

Asked about those other scenarios (India, America...)

From what I could gather, travel between the various continents is abstracted, but they are definitely theaters of conflict within the game. I was very impressed that this is represented because it would have been pretty easy for the guys to omit this aspect totally. I don't know if I would call it HoI in the Napoleonic era, it really seems like its own game, though obviously there are elements of other Clausewitz games within it. For example, the combat system has much in common with the CK2 combat mechanics, though it has more emphasis on the interplay of generals and levels of commands etc. There are specific victory goals in the game, along with many, many other mechanics which would be best described by Phillipe. But I can say for sure that it looks brilliant.

Link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?580291-RRW-s-PICON-2012-AAR

Of course, I'm already looking for CKII's developer diaries related to combat :)

Has paradox or paradox France been surprised by the massive interest in this game so far?

The Napoleonic era is perhaps one of the most popular areas of military history, perhaps second to WW2. I know I have spent my life studying it, and my bookshelf can attest to the many dollars used to inform me of it. So I am glad that a game company that I admire will be making a game that should meet my expectations.

I do have one question about the sprites, obviously in the screenshots and the release video the French army have the correct uniforms for 1805, will the French army change uniforms in a later date, so in 1812 they will have shakos? Also, if a unit is cavalry will the sprite be cavalry? or will it be the same sprite for all?

The uniforms will change over time...we already have them made.

As for the sprites, we shall see about it in details and case by case, but we already made sprites different for different periods of time...and we may have other offerings later on ;)

Yes, I really love what I've seen so far and I am looking forward to conquer Europe with my French army :D

Indeed the sprites seem to be very detailed. When can we see more of them? :eek:o

napoleon2_screenshot_2012_01_13_01.png

napoleon2_screenshot_2012_01_13_02.png

napoleon2_screenshot_2012_01_13_03.png

napoleon2_screenshot_2012_01_13_04.png

napoleon2_screenshot_2012_01_13_05.png

Looking at these s/shots: is the Clauswitz engine running EU? Looks like another EU type of game. Perhaps the Ageod engine will do a better job I wonder?

Looking at these s/shots: is the Clauswitz engine running EU? Looks like another EU type of game. Perhaps the Ageod engine will do a better job I wonder?

Yes, Clausewitz is the engine which Paradox developed internally and has run all Paradox games for quite some time (perhaps since EUIII, but I can be wrong). And this game shall also run on Clausewitz in place of the AGEOD engine as Paradox Interactive and P'dox France feel it will better suit the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.