• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BraidsMAmma

Second Lieutenant
8 Badges
Dec 29, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
Having never MPed CK1 I have no idea how that worked out except that it seems mighty cool to arrange alliances and fight wars with players instead of the AI.
I don't remember any DD on MP but there's so much info in the forum i might have missed and maybe one of the devs could give us some smll info on what it will be like? :blush: So, what can we expect of Multiplayer in CK2?

I have played a little bit of CK1 multiplayer with a mate of mine (although we could only play for periods of a couple of years without it crashing so saving regularly was a must for us).

It worked quite seamlessly. The only unfortunate thing about it is when you have a character assassinated and not knowing whether it was your friend or the AI who killed him. It caused many disagreements.

I suspect it will work much like the single player only with much more pausing involved.

To tell the truth, CK2 has the potential of being the best multiplayer grand strategy title that paradox has made to date. The RPG factor combined with the strategy elements will make for a really interesting game. I can't wait to compete with my friends to become the King of England.

It's not long now!

I have played a little bit of CK1 multiplayer with a mate of mine (although we could only play for periods of a couple of years without it crashing so saving regularly was a must for us).

It worked quite seamlessly. The only unfortunate thing about it is when you have a character assassinated and not knowing whether it was your friend or the AI who killed him. It caused many disagreements.

I suspect it will work much like the single player only with much more pausing involved.

To tell the truth, CK2 has the potential of being the best multiplayer grand strategy title that paradox has made to date. The RPG factor combined with the strategy elements will make for a really interesting game. I can't wait to compete with my friends to become the King of England.

It's not long now!

Oh yeah personally im looking forwards to MP games, tho I suspect they need to planned in sessions if you're playing with people from this place ;)

We just had an 8-player LAN game here at the convention. MP worked flawlessly at top speed, with one exception when a player started lagging and the game automatically reduced in speed until he caught up. Very nice. One player did pause once, by accident I suspect. The interface is so slick and efficient that I think you'll be able to play at top speed pretty much all the time.

Sounds truly promising :)

The interface is so slick and efficient that I think you'll be able to play at top speed pretty much all the time.

The UI does indeed look pretty slick from the videos and good in terms of cueing the player on what's going on without pausing to hunt down information.

Were there still times you wished you could pause or go to a slower speed in order to hunt down a key piece of info or check on the ledger or elsewhere?

I've only recently entered the world of Paradox multiplayer.

The best set up I've observed has been an agreement on maintaining speed 3 or 4, slowing down down to 2 or so during PvP wars.
Pausing is discouraged as it is hardly unanimous and can easily annoy some people. But as long as you're not playing with unfriendly chaps then the occasional pause isn't viewed very harshly.(Just be quick about whatever it is you're doing.)

You also might want to set some rules in stone, even if the rules are for basic quality of life. Like a history nut insisting that no province's name gets changed. (A person wanted to join our new game(EU3) just for twenty minutes or so to see how the multiplayer worked, and chose Georgia. Naturally, he died. Upon reaching former Georgian lands as Moscowy -> Russia, I noticed that his former capitol had been renamed to 'Jerkistan'.)

But I digress a little. The point being, Paradox MP games do take a significant amount of time, so make sure you're fine with the rules you'll be under during that time.
This is just really general stuff, but I guess it won't hurt to post it.

The UI does indeed look pretty slick from the videos and good in terms of cueing the player on what's going on without pausing to hunt down information.

Were there still times you wished you could pause or go to a slower speed in order to hunt down a key piece of info or check on the ledger or elsewhere?
I wasn't in the game, just watching. Mind you I was mostly watching game's dev, and he was all over that screen like lightning!

What we know - that no matter how the technical details work out this game will be awesome for rpg opportunities. Looking forward to people arguing on the forums about things like "you murdered my sister you inbred lackwit" etc. I guess we may see both games that are more fun/rpg oriented and those that are more competitive.

They had a fun game of 8 people playing it at PDXCON yesterday.

One guy ended up having to assassinate her sons to avoid game over...

Question: Can you play with two players within the same dynasty? If yes, what happens if a human player is your heir and you die? Game over or continue with a distant cousin?

Question: Can you play with two players within the same dynasty? If yes, what happens if a human player is your heir and you die? Game over or continue with a distant cousin?

I have seen this questions a few times and and the answer seems to be that you play the same character.