• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm having serious troubles with some modding/bugs which have delayed my planned full update even further, so I'm going to go to the effort of giving you guys a shorter one in the meantime.

LMAS-Banner.png

Chapter 4.0 - Nursing Our Wounds

The Battle for Britain was over and lost. Surviving Allied forces began to evacuate to Canada and the defeated nations began to lick their wounds. In Britain, German occupation forces spread throughout the country, but uprisings were surprisingly few. The mood of the British people was one of somber defeat, stunned that their Empire - presumed invincible - could have fallen this far. Hitler promised mercy if the nation did not resist the new order, and for the moment it seemed resistance would not come. In spite of this, however, loyalists behind the lines continued to report on German movements of troops, ships and aircraft. They organized with existing criminal elements to procur guns and began preparing for a long, slow occupation. They would defy Hitler's men by any means necessary, and once they were fully prepared, they would begin to strike.

morayfirthaftermath1.png

Twenty-six miles southeast of Scapa Flow, the sun rose over a sea of death. One German transport ship was still burning on the surface, a useless hulk soon to sink. The other casualties of war had already drifted down into the depths, taking most of their crew with them. Both fleets, presuming themselves defeated due to heavy damage and casualties, had withdrawn from one another and there was finally a silence. Luftwaffe planes sortied out from the Scottish Lowlands in search of the damaged fleet, but came under heavy RAF attack and were unable to locate HMAS Vanguard or her badly damaged forces. Most of the carrier's planes had been shot down or failed to land during the dark of the night and HMAS Adelaide had been sunk by the old pre-dreadnought battleship KMS Schlesien, but with its dying actions the Adelaide was able to launch both torpedo tubes, recently added as part of a refit in 1940 - in the dark of the night, the deadly missiles went unnoticed and broke a German transport nearly in half, sinking it almost instantly. Two others went beneath the waves due to the valiant actions of Vanguard's dive bombers, of which neither survived the ensuing battle. Over 4,000 German soldiers went missing under the waves and Admiral Saalwächter feared yet more planes from the Vanguard, unaware that the wounded carrier had launched everything it could. The German fleet was ordered to withdraw, lest more of the valuable transports be lost.

morayfirthaftermath2.png

The heavily damaged Australian fleet somehow escaped Scapa Flow as victors, but this battle felt pyrhhic. If the Germans had stayed in the fight until morning, there was a very real possibility that they would have sunk the Vanguard, Adelaide and Canberra.

Although the Australian Squadron was heavily damaged, the Germans did not fare any better. Their ships had suffered heavily from torpedoes and bombs dropped from the air and HMAS Canberra had dealt a heavy blow to KMS Nürnberg, who was only saved by excellent damage control after its stern hull was blown open by two 8" shells hitting in close succession. Despite taking multiple hits, the reliable County class heavy cruiser had survived the battle intact. HMAS Sydney had been blown open in three places above the waterline by the pocket battleship KMS Admiral Scheer and HMAS Australia, the only ship to escape the battle without damage, was forced to tow her towards Belfast. With a nearly depleted air cover from HMAS Vanguard, who herself had suffered a hit from a German torpedo late in the battle, the convoy was nearly defenceless until British reinforcements could arrive. HMAS Hobart had only suffered slight damage to her deck and played reconaissance watch dog, aggressively seeking out any signs of tailing submarines. There was an intense fear of German ambush, yet the passage was mercifully safe. If the Germans were chasing them, they never caught up.

greeksurrender.png

It was not enough just to survive, however. In the Balkans, the Greeks were forced to surrender, putting an end to one of the longest and bloodiest campaigns of the war so far. Italy had occupied all of Yugoslavia and Greece, bringing Mussolini one step closer to his dreams of a new Rome. It had not gone unnoticed, however, that the Italian dictator had been unable to defeat these 'lesser' nations on his own. Allied intelligence was well aware that by the end of the campaign more Germans than Italians were stationed on the Balkan front. The Allied propaganda machine mercilessly painted Mussolini as a weak failure, clinging to Hitler for protection and aid. It did not change the fact that with the Greeks gone, Hitler's Fortress Europe was nearly complete. The only threat to the dominance of the Axis Alliance now lay in the Soviet Union, a rapidly awakening bear that grew in danger yearly. The Allies prayed for war to erupt between the two soon.

italianempire.png

The addition of Yugoslavia and Greece had significantly improved Italy's industrial output and secured Bulgaria as a reliable Axis member state, but it did little for Il Duce's defensive position.

Bulgaria and Hungary had taken their own slices of victory, yet surprisingly Germany had left Yugoslavia untouched. Italy eagerly grabbed any land it could keep its hands on and its Empire had grown impressive on paper. To the British and Americans, though, it just seemed that they had more opportunities to attack. The Italian Army was thinly spread along a very long Mediterranean coastline and it had proven underwhelming even where it held numerical superiority. The idea of a full-scale assault on the Balkans was floated by some Generals, to be spearheaded by Australian forces, but it was shot down by Australian Home Command. India was coming under increasing pressure from the Imperial Japanese Army. The ANZAC Imperial Expeditionary Force would be heading home, taking 27,000 Danish volunteer soldiers and nearly 50,000 British Army soldiers with them.

frenchislands.png

French Polynesia was now an Axis stronghold in the South Pacific, one that defied Australia's planned defensive zone and required immediate attention.

The most immediate concern for Australia lay at home: the French Toulousian State had declared war on Britain and America following the leaked plans to attack Europe through French territory. This stunning move had not only surprised the ANZAC forces, but also the French ones. Australia did not believe that the French had stationed any ships in Polynesia, but Tahiti was well-garrisoned and its naval base deemed a serious threat to the Australian coastline. Japanese, German and French ships based out of the port would be able to circumvent the defensive shield Australia had built in Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, which were heavily garrisoned and fortified against any potential Japanese attack. Plans were immediately drawn to take the islands, but the British fleet was heavily engaged battling Japan and they would have to wait for the men returning from Europe...

eastafrica.png

For all of the bad news the week had brought, the British African Army had finally reported complete success. The last Italian forces had dispersed or surrendered and could offer little more than guerrila resistance. Tens of thousands of British troops had been freed up for deployment elsewhere. It was too late, however, to save Greece or Britain. Their redeployments would have to be carefully thought out, especially as the central authority of Britain had shattered and there was now little but chaos and disorganization left.

indianrepublic.png

The Heart of the British Colonial Empire still stood strong against Japanese incursion - but for how long?

It was deemed by Australian Commanders that Asia should be the focus of future military operations. The Empire of Japan and the Chinese Republic had launched a continuous assault against British India. Burma was in danger of falling despite the surrender of the Thai government to Australian forces. The Indian Army fought bravely but was vastly outnumbered and Japan was beginning to win battles more frequently. If the Japanese were able to successfully cross the Himalayas and make it into India proper, there was a significant risk that they would be able to break through the lines and defeat India decisively. If India fell, then Australia would lose her most important ally in the Pacific - this could not happen. Several potential operations had been suggested using the returning Imperial Expeditionary Force, but there were weeks of arguing before the men would be in any position to launch an attack on Japan...

nancybird1.png

Australia's first female commercial aviator Nancy Bird-Walton makes her war contribution in the form of pilot training.

Patriotism and Jingoism on the home front were at an all-time high. Men and women alike volunteered for service, filling factories and mines and taking up uniform to take part in Australia's great campaign against the Axis. Although Britain had fallen, morale remained high in this distant colony where England was a far-away place few knew. Australia still felt invincible: in seven months of war, the Japanese Navy had not launched a single attack on the Solomon Islands or the Dutch East Indies. The Philippines had resisted every attack and India remained a steadfast bastion in their eyes. Japan would be inevitably defeated and then Germany would surely come later, in their eyes. The Government offered excellent wages, industrial subsidies and offers of free land to post-war servicemen. However, surprisingly to everyone, the war would also become a strong movement for the empowerment of women, largely through the determined efforts of one woman: Nancy Bird-Walton.

Nancy Bird-Walton was already somewhat of a celebrity in Australia, a retired aviatrix of some renown who was the first woman to earn a commercial pilot's licence in Australia. Upon the outbreak of war, she had attempted to enlist in the RAAF as a pilot, but was denied on the grounds of her sex. She protested heavily and publically, claiming that women were just as qualified as men as pilots - something she had proven - and that with the right training any woman could match a man in the sky. Her first appeal was denied again steadily, but this soon ballooned into a court case as she continued to pressure the RAAF to allow her to serve, in full support of her husband. On January 3rd, 1940, with the potential loss of Britain and the steadily draining manpower, Australia conceded that it needed every man and woman it could get. Nancy would undergo officer and pilot training with the RAAF and by April 24th she had achieved the commissioned rank of Captain. She requested combat duty (although in her private memoirs she admitted the concept of going into battle was terrifying to her, she deemed it the right thing to do) but was denied and placed in a training role at Alice Springs Air Force Base. This was acceptable to her, but she continued to campaign for the rights of women, and to encourage women to seek more active roles in the war. Traditionalists were astouned and frustrated by her, but the more forward-thinking men in the government's propaganda wing eagerly held her up as an example of the ideal Australian woman: a proud and strong mother, willing to serve and even die to protect the motherland and her children. Many more women would volunteer for service in the years to come thanks to Nancy's contribution, allowing more men to make it to the front lines and increasing Australia's manpower slowly but steadily.

darwininvestments.png

New war industries were springing up everywhere, and a new munitions factory in Darwin had supported an impressive immigration boost in the Northern Territory.

Australians were advancing not only socially, but economically and industrially. Immigration had increased steadily in recent years due to refugees fleeing Europe and Asia and the growing fascism. One of the towns to benefit most from this was Darwin, which was designated by the government as one of Australia's prime growth zones. Darwin had grown from 2,042 men at the beginning of 1939 to an estimated 8,000 by the beginning of 1940. New neighbourhoods were coming under rapid construction and plans for a new highway and rail link from Darwin to Canberra were floated, but considered too expensive at this time. The growth of population did not come without accompanying work and on April 25th work had completed on the construction of a large ammunition factory in Darwin. These developments marked the beginning of a new era for Australia, one of positivity, strength and leadership within the Commonwealth states. Plans that the government had worked on since the war's beginning were now coming closer to fruition, and the weeks of transportation, reorganization and reinforcement of the men returning from Europe would be drowned in a cacophany of politics yet to come...

April 21st-April 25th
Royal Australian Navy:
24 Gloster Gladiator Carrier Planes lost
31 Hawker Nimrod Carrier Planes lost
HMAS Adelaide lost
German Kriegsmarine:
3 Transport Ships lost
German Wehrmacht:
Est 4000~ men lost​

Last edited:
whew!...dark news on nearly every front! It's a pity about HMAS Adelaide...and apparently damned lucky she was the only loss. It's pretty shocking to see the state of the Austrlia Squadron off Scapa Flow. Mercifully, Vanguard was spared. Nancy Bird-Walton sounds like a fascinating personality. I'd be interested to read up more about her. A quick peek on the wiki says she lived to a very ripe old age of 93. I love getting introduced to historical personalities like that that I would otherwise have never have heard about. Feel free to continue slipping people like into this AAR :)

Sorry to hear about your bugs...I've certainly been there before so I feel your pain. Hopefully you can salvage things. All the same, very glad to see this AAR updated. I know the pressure you've been getting has been tremendous!

whew!...dark news on nearly every front! It's a pity about HMAS Adelaide...and apparently damned lucky she was the only loss. It's pretty shocking to see the state of the Austrlia Squadron off Scapa Flow. Mercifully, Vanguard was spared. Nancy Bird-Walton sounds like a fascinating personality. I'd be interested to read up more about her. A quick peek on the wiki says she lived to a very ripe old age of 93. I love getting introduced to historical personalities like that that I would otherwise have never have heard about. Feel free to continue slipping people like into this AAR :)

Sorry to hear about your bugs...I've certainly been there before so I feel your pain. Hopefully you can salvage things. All the same, very glad to see this AAR updated. I know the pressure you've been getting has been tremendous!

Thanks for the feedback! The Germans gave me a real beating and I hadn't actually noticed how bad the weather turned until it was too late to really do anything about it. If I had lost Vanguard there it would have been a nasty blow, as even an old model carrier is better than no carrier and it'll be nearly a year before HMAS Commencement finishes construction. As for Nancy, she wasn't nearly as vigorous or adamant in real life, retired completely from flying in 1938 and didn't pick it up again until 1958 and then only briefly. I decided what would happen if she were to make a more adamant stand for women in the military and tried to take an active part in the war due to Australia's higher-than-real-life manpower rates (even without me calling a draft, which I didn't want to do due to my use of troops abroad - conscripts can only serve in defence of Australia under Australian law). The bugs are very irritating, I've been trying to add in a new country mid-save but it's just not working and seems to corrupt the save every time I try, whether I'm doing direct save editing or not. I'm on the verge of giving up and handling my next step in the AAR in a more crude fashion...

Tahiti is indeed a potential threat if Vichy lets Germany/Japan base there.

Brutal naval battles but at least you've driven off that German invasion fleet

I'm deathly afraid of sailing up to Tahiti and finding a Japanese Carrier Taskforce waiting for me - but if I don't take it, the risk of that happening becomes only greater! Not to mention the pain of subs raiding my shipping from there. I've been mostly free of Japanese subs in this war and I'd like to keep it that way.

That was a really rough naval battle! I think you were somewhat fortunate to escape without more serious losses and losing Vanguard would have been a big blow. Then again, the Germans could also have fared worse.

The Allies still seem to be suffering reverses in most fronts but you have a substantial force there, once assembled, with which to counter. The British forces in Africa could also cause some trouble for the Italians. It looks like you're going after the Japanese, so Hitler will be free to move against the Soviets. The question is whether Germany will be stronger for having taken out the UK? Or weaker because of all the effort expended to win in Britain and the Balkans?

Sydney sure got (un)lucky! 5% hull left!

All quiet on the Eastern Front, though...

Been lurking around this AAR, and i gotta, say, i enjoy it a lot.

About the Tahiti deal, if you have any long range aircraft, you can use the british bases north of tahiti to have a peek at their bases...
If it were up to me, id try to turn Portugal into a puppet. Pretty weak army, just land in Porto, Lisboa and Azores and i think they'll surrender. Air force is laughable and navy neglegible. you'd gain a shield against the germany navy, the Azores are an invaluable strategic asset in the Atlantic, and leaves open the possibility of an invasion of France via Spain eventually.

Also, can we have a look at your production screen? im curious about your IC and production queue?

And by the way, what infantry rifle are your troops using? probably Lee Enfield No.4 Mk I? Or still in the MK III model?

Last edited:
The inevitable has happened and Britain has fallen, the last troops being shipped to Canada. You got quite a bloody nose off Scapa Flow, but I'm pleased that you managed to drag your damaged fleet away from that encounter.

Regarding the British in Africa, do they have enough IC/supplies to accomplish anything against the Italians? And how much of a threat is Vichy-in-Africa? Do they have any forces in North Africa?

India must be the crucial linchpin right now - if it falls, the Commonwealth basically no longer exists, and Australia stands alone. But I would make sure to take out Tahiti post-haste. If you're lucky, all it'll take is a division or two. Echoing halbard's comment, can you somehow scout out that base? Planes? Subs?

That was a really rough naval battle! I think you were somewhat fortunate to escape without more serious losses and losing Vanguard would have been a big blow. Then again, the Germans could also have fared worse.

The Allies still seem to be suffering reverses in most fronts but you have a substantial force there, once assembled, with which to counter. The British forces in Africa could also cause some trouble for the Italians. It looks like you're going after the Japanese, so Hitler will be free to move against the Soviets. The question is whether Germany will be stronger for having taken out the UK? Or weaker because of all the effort expended to win in Britain and the Balkans?

In all, I've got 12 ANZAC divisions, 5 British divisions and 3 Danish divisions at my current disposal. In all, a little over 200,000 men. I can strike somewhere hard, but I'm going to have to pick the right spot and time to counter. Currently I'd like to do some damage to the Japanese and stall their advance completely if possible. I'm not sure how Germany will fare, I think manpower-wise they've probably lost in the area of 500-600 overall through the long battles in Benelux, Poland France and the UK. This isn't much, but it's a dent. What's really going to be the big one here is whether or not Germany stations troops in Britain to defend it, or if it moves that sizeable army back to the mainland...

Sydney sure got (un)lucky! 5% hull left!

All quiet on the Eastern Front, though...

Super lucky. I'm sure the Eastern Front will explode later this year, Stalin's not that strong right now.

it lives again

INDEED.

Been lurking around this AAR, and i gotta, say, i enjoy it a lot.

About the Tahiti deal, if you have any long range aircraft, you can use the british bases north of tahiti to have a peek at their bases...
If it were up to me, id try to turn Portugal into a puppet. Pretty weak army, just land in Porto, Lisboa and Azores and i think they'll surrender. Air force is laughable and navy neglegible. you'd gain a shield against the germany navy, the Azores are an invaluable strategic asset in the Atlantic, and leaves open the possibility of an invasion of France via Spain eventually.

Also, can we have a look at your production screen? im curious about your IC and production queue?

And by the way, what infantry rifle are your troops using? probably Lee Enfield No.4 Mk I? Or still in the MK III model?

I had a brief glimpse at Tahiti earlier via aircraft, thus my knowledge of a lack of ships there right now (and a single division in garrison). Puppeting Portugal (and many others) would be lovely, but my neutrality isn't very low, nor is theirs. I can't declare war on them. There will certainly be a peek at my production screen soon although not all that much has changed since the last time it was viewed. Most of my IC expenditure is on long-term projects. I'll be going into a lot of detail on the internal affairs of not just Australia but the Commonwealth in the coming updates. I hope it'll make a nice break from the constant war. I'll peek in on Asia now and then but there's currently not much to talk about on the war front.

Australian infantry are armed with a combination of the Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk I (and the 1942 factory streamlined variant) and the Owen Submachine Gun. In my post-war examinations out of curiosity, I found that only the Germans and British armies are as well-armed as ANZAC at this point and somehow my org rates are far better (Australian infantry brigades now have over 102 org versus 70-80 for Britain/Germany).

The inevitable has happened and Britain has fallen, the last troops being shipped to Canada. You got quite a bloody nose off Scapa Flow, but I'm pleased that you managed to drag your damaged fleet away from that encounter.

Regarding the British in Africa, do they have enough IC/supplies to accomplish anything against the Italians? And how much of a threat is Vichy-in-Africa? Do they have any forces in North Africa?

India must be the crucial linchpin right now - if it falls, the Commonwealth basically no longer exists, and Australia stands alone. But I would make sure to take out Tahiti post-haste. If you're lucky, all it'll take is a division or two. Echoing halbard's comment, can you somehow scout out that base? Planes? Subs?

Regarding the British: unlikely. They currently have 17 total IC at their disposal which by my calculations isn't even enough for a quarter of the British military. To this end I intend to force the British AI to expeditionary large numbers of its own military to Commonwealth States who DO have the IC to fund it (Canada, India, South Africa, Egypt and Australia are currently on that list of states to receive expeditionaries. Netherlands may too, for the occupied Dutch territories.) I've already taken a fair share off their hands.

India is definitely crucial. The longer this war goes on, the stronger and stronger India gets. Without a British Empire to fuel, I can feasibly remove her big IC penalty for being a British puppet and that'll take the gloves right off her and give her a lot more muscle. She has the largest Commonwealth army by a fair bit as well, which only makes it all the more important that she survives intact. I'm definitely going after Tahiti ASAP - I don't have any subs yet (well, the Danish expeditionaries, but they're on the way to Australia still), but as mentioned before I've scouted it with planes already and will be doing so again before I move to take it.

Last edited:
Well, that was a lucky break you had with the fleet. it looks like the german AI is still afraid that somehow the Royal navy will get it's act together and punch the Kriegsmarine out to Lubeck again ( yeah right ... :/ ). Otherwise how would you explain the lack of pursuit of the Australian fleet ? :D

I agree with your assessment that the Toulosian possessions in the Far East and Pacific should be your priority now ,adding to the already deployed effort in Siam. BTW, just for curiosity, did India occupied the French enclaves that border it ? Or they gone Free French ? Anyway your first priority is to get the outer ring of islands that surround Australia cleaned out of hostiles . And let's see what the Big Bad Bear can do against a a Germany with the UK in the pocket ...

Long time lurker who is very glad to see this AAR return! Hope to see Vanguard return safely to Australia one day.

Glad to see you back. I was afraid the shillings had run out and Hitler would reign supreme!

Good to see this back again :)

What are your plans for HMAS Vanguard? Will you be bringing it back to Australian waters or keeping it in the Atlantic or Mediterranean?
Actually what is the status of Allied possessions and forces in the Middle East?

Good to have you back. And nice update - I especially like the growing XP of Vanguard, a true pride of the fleet... one wonders what the future holds for her...

Thanks, glad to be back. Unfortunately, even if Vanguard survives this war she won't have much of a career afterwards. She's really outdated and I'll probably be trying to create a more modern Supercarrier to compete with the US and Japanese models that currently spearhead technological development.

Well, that was a lucky break you had with the fleet. it looks like the german AI is still afraid that somehow the Royal navy will get it's act together and punch the Kriegsmarine out to Lubeck again ( yeah right ... :/ ). Otherwise how would you explain the lack of pursuit of the Australian fleet ? :D

I agree with your assessment that the Toulosian possessions in the Far East and Pacific should be your priority now ,adding to the already deployed effort in Siam. BTW, just for curiosity, did India occupied the French enclaves that border it ? Or they gone Free French ? Anyway your first priority is to get the outer ring of islands that surround Australia cleaned out of hostiles . And let's see what the Big Bad Bear can do against a a Germany with the UK in the pocket ...

India is sending troops but did not have sufficient forces on hand to take them immediately. Thankfully for Allied forces, the French only had garrisons there, so there's been no breakout and they'll fall before too long. The Free French only hold some territories in Africa and some Islands. I've modded in an event allowing me to hand control of these new territories back to the Free French once they're occupied and the same will likely be done with North Africa if we ever get around to taking it out...

Long time lurker who is very glad to see this AAR return! Hope to see Vanguard return safely to Australia one day.

Thanks! Vanguard's on her way home for repairs now, but whether or not she'll stay is another question.

Glad to see you back. I was afraid the shillings had run out and Hitler would reign supreme!

No, I still have plenty more shillings left in the bucket. Hitler may have defeated Britain, but Australia is a wholly different matter.

Good to see this back again :)

What are your plans for HMAS Vanguard? Will you be bringing it back to Australian waters or keeping it in the Atlantic or Mediterranean?
Actually what is the status of Allied possessions and forces in the Middle East?

At the moment Vanguard is on her way back to Sydney for repairs. The Australian Squadron is basically worthless until such time as I can get the new CAGs online. Once she's back to fighting strength, I'll be sending her wherever I think she's most needed. I don't rate her chances of taking out a Japanese CTF, but she has a chance of picking off a cruiser squadron. Maybe. Maybe not. Japanese ships are much better than German or Italian ones, so I have to be careful in the Pacific. Once HMAS Commencement finishes I'll be a bit bolder in my naval decision making. The Allies are still fine in the Middle East - possesions are at the moment untouched. This may not always be the case - I'll say more in the next update.

India getting out from under Englands thumb in this situation sounds entirely plausible to me. It should become a sovereign state on its own, concidering that England itself has been occupied by hostile forces. When this happens I feel several other countries should try to get on their own legs, like Canada and ofcourse Australia.

A free India does seem like a sleeping giant which japan is prodding with a stick.

/Krogzar

I'd imagine de Valera in this timeline might throw his lot in with Germany in return for Ulster in this timeline. I doubt he'd have done so willingly either, Germans would have figured giving Ulster to the south would save on occupation forces. ;)

I'd imagine de Valera in this timeline might throw his lot in with Germany in return for Ulster in this timeline. I doubt he'd have done so willingly either, Germans would have figured giving Ulster to the south would save on occupation forces. ;)

Then Ulster will fight, and Ulster will be right!

Dropped out of this AAR early on becuase of RL. I just caught up and it has really changed direction from where I thought it would go. It looked like it would be purely Asia-centric back at the start. The European campaign was excellent - never seen an AI Sealion before.

As the odds stack up against you it looks like you have a mammoth task to deal with.