• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yuck. South East Asia looks like an ugly slog. Withdrawing from Italy is also not fun.

Research looks on track, though.

SEA will remain an ugly slog until I can get more boots on the ground, but I also can't fall into the trap of sending too many into the fray. Supply lines are fine for now but that won't remain the case forever.

I'm satisfied with my research given that I'm investing in 3 different branches simultaneously plus industry. The day I reach Major Power life will get so much better.

The land war against the Japanese and their stooges goes so-so, and the German invasion of Britain continues to be a mortal danger. Lots of loose ends, not so much in the resolution department in this update, then.

At least your tech and manpower situation is good, and you are working on getting your next carrier online, so Australia's future, seen in isolation from larger world events, looks bright.

I still hope for an epic resistance in Britain, but I don't rate the chances. Guess I'll have to wait for at least one more update (if not more) to find out what happens in the British Isles - Blitz or bogging down?

And apparently the next update will be some time off. Drat! Oh well, exams do warrant some attention, even if it's at the expense of this AAR. ;) Good luck with the exam and hope to see this updated shortly thereafter!

I'm feeling relatively confident that the Japanese will crumble. They've failed completely and utterly at pushing into the Pacific and the RN/USN are keeping them at bay with relative ease. It just might take awhile to push them back.

Britain is going to be a much more difficult region and I suspect much will come down to how effectively the AI drops in fresh divisions - I don't have any real clue how the AI treats amphibious invasions on this scale, it's a first for me. If they keep piling on reinforcements I'm probably done for, but I'll put up a tough fight either way.

I'll try not to let the next update wait too long for your sake, but the exam comes first, of course!

interesting stuff, especially in terms of the development of the new carriers and the problems of using an adapted battleship

... always worth remembering the Royal Navy had a historic taste for this sort of witch-hunt of shooting the odd admiral to encourage the others

I'd go more into detail about the development of Australia's carrier project but that's not the full purpose of this AAR. Maybe someday if I feel particularly inspired as I can feel this AAR evolving under my very hands. I will definitely do a piece on the internal turmoil though. I should have quite a bit of fun with the ensuing witch hunt in the Admiralty. ;)

Thanks for the very detailed view of what's going on in Australia. The rares situation looks a little concerning as it would be unwelcome to have to scale back your industrial mobilization. Hopefully a solution will be found! Research looks very good and well focused. So the only the problem really is the desperate situation in the UK, which certainly means sacrificing gains in the Med. A successful defence of Britain I think depends on two things - keeping the Germans contained and stopping their reinforcements - both of which at the moment look to be beyond Allied capabilities. In the Far East things are much better simply because neither side can hope for a quick victory. I wouldn't underestimate the Japanese in mainland Asia, but I think the British Empire forces will also defend resolutely.

The invasion of the UK is a great scenario for this AAR - I look forward to finding out if your Australians can really stand against the Germans, man to man! :)

Wow. Great story. Still on chapter 2.9 slowly working my way through the tale during coffee-breaks. Britain really seemed to lose huge amount of troops when France turned Vichy. Austrailia will have a hard task up ahead. Look forwards to next coffee-break and next chapter ;)

Thanks for the very detailed view of what's going on in Australia. The rares situation looks a little concerning as it would be unwelcome to have to scale back your industrial mobilization. Hopefully a solution will be found! Research looks very good and well focused. So the only the problem really is the desperate situation in the UK, which certainly means sacrificing gains in the Med. A successful defence of Britain I think depends on two things - keeping the Germans contained and stopping their reinforcements - both of which at the moment look to be beyond Allied capabilities. In the Far East things are much better simply because neither side can hope for a quick victory. I wouldn't underestimate the Japanese in mainland Asia, but I think the British Empire forces will also defend resolutely.

The invasion of the UK is a great scenario for this AAR - I look forward to finding out if your Australians can really stand against the Germans, man to man! :)

The rares is a little concerning but I should be able to get some from somewhere. I won't let my IC collapse if I can help it. I'm not underestimating the Japanese yet but they're not going to achieve victory any time soon and the longer the US is at war the more desperate their position becomes. Britain on the other hand could fall in a month or two if everything goes against me...I have to shift everything I've got to try and prevent that. This is great for the scenario, even if it reverses much of my hard work (although captured divisions still hurt Italy and benefit me). I'm hoping to concentrate my forces when those heavy infantry formations arrive and to launch a serious counter-attack against the Germans.

Wow. Great story. Still on chapter 2.9 slowly working my way through the tale during coffee-breaks. Britain really seemed to lose huge amount of troops when France turned Vichy. Austrailia will have a hard task up ahead. Look forwards to next coffee-break and next chapter ;)

Glad to have you reading, Cap. ;) You're correct that Britain lost enormous amounts, at least 30 divisions by my reckoning went down in France. There's at least 6 more I've spotted stranded in the French State with no way out, as they can't get Military Access, so they're just sitting there starving. This doesn't leave the Empire with many divisions at all to fight with.

There's at least 6 more I've spotted stranded in the French State with no way out, as they can't get Military Access, so they're just sitting there starving.

This is something that's always bugged me about HOI3 and its expansions. The AI in Vicky 2 can pick up stranded units, so the AI in HOI3 should be able to as well if the units are within transport range, which Vichy France most definitely is in.

Anyway, seeing a reversal like this due to the AI being smart is always exciting for the readers, especially so for those who have been working on the mod since it began ;)

Wow, I just finished reading the whole thing in one go and I have to say, this is an amazing AAR. You write so well and combined with the little titbits of flavour I think this could be one of my favourite AARs. I wish you all the best with holding off the huns in Britain.

Well, this is certainly a shock. I lurk for a month, come back, and suddenly the Jerries have crossed the Channel!

Since Britain controls the DEI, I'm guessing Australia will want to assume direct control of Indonesia if London falls - it should solve your resource problems. Far be it from me to suggest treachery, but perhaps Australia's reinforcements for Britain will arrive just after the Germans have forced a surrender... ;) And of course, I'm sure the new Australo-Indonesian Empire would be delighted to house Their Majesties until the Home Isles can be liberated from German control.

The Greek and Yugoslavians seem to be doing surprisingly well, though perhaps that's because the Germans have sent their best troops on a victory march through London. It's a pity that Hungary will probably jump in to grab its Yugoslavian cores, assuming it still has them in HPP. How long do you think they can hold without Australian aid?

Also, I'm curious as to why the Carrier Armour/AA upgrades are locked - I'm guessing you need a higher-tech Design Principle first?

And they'd also be happy to host those British scientist too, you ought to get some technical benefits if the British fall.

This is something that's always bugged me about HOI3 and its expansions. The AI in Vicky 2 can pick up stranded units, so the AI in HOI3 should be able to as well if the units are within transport range, which Vichy France most definitely is in.

Anyway, seeing a reversal like this due to the AI being smart is always exciting for the readers, especially so for those who have been working on the mod since it began ;)

If it helps curb your excitement, this is the first time I've seen a Seelowe in 15 odd games of HPP so far. :p

I agree it's very odd that the British AI can't pick up its troops. Instead it moves them to the German border as if it's trying to attack German territory, but it can't.

Wow, I just finished reading the whole thing in one go and I have to say, this is an amazing AAR. You write so well and combined with the little titbits of flavour I think this could be one of my favourite AARs. I wish you all the best with holding off the huns in Britain.

I'm glad to hear you enjoy it, and so has everyone else apparently! I hope you'll enjoy what's coming next.

Well, this is certainly a shock. I lurk for a month, come back, and suddenly the Jerries have crossed the Channel!

Since Britain controls the DEI, I'm guessing Australia will want to assume direct control of Indonesia if London falls - it should solve your resource problems. Far be it from me to suggest treachery, but perhaps Australia's reinforcements for Britain will arrive just after the Germans have forced a surrender... ;) And of course, I'm sure the new Australo-Indonesian Empire would be delighted to house Their Majesties until the Home Isles can be liberated from German control.

The Greek and Yugoslavians seem to be doing surprisingly well, though perhaps that's because the Germans have sent their best troops on a victory march through London. It's a pity that Hungary will probably jump in to grab its Yugoslavian cores, assuming it still has them in HPP. How long do you think they can hold without Australian aid?

Also, I'm curious as to why the Carrier Armour/AA upgrades are locked - I'm guessing you need a higher-tech Design Principle first?

Next time you lurk for a month the Italians will be invading Canada! ;) If Britain surrenders, I have definite plans for splitting up the former Empire among its still-loyal colonists. Members of the royal family will definitely be showing up either in Canada or Australia. Normally Canada would be the logically evacuation point but the Canadians have been so utterly useless this game that I'm not sure it'd make complete sense.

The Greeks and Yugoslavians are doing great although most of that is due to, as you said yourself, the invasion of Britain. I wager they also have a large army tied up occupying France and the Low Countries as well as guarding the Russian border. Their army is mighty but it has to cover a lot of ground right now. Still, I think it's more a question of when the Balkans fall than if they fall.

You are correct that Carrier Armour/AA are locked due to design tech. HPP ship upgrades require investment in Design Techs before you can upgrade the proper modules - said design techs are also locked after certain dates to anyone who has signed the Naval Treaties, further limiting naval development to those countries foolish enough to hamstring themselves in the name of global relations. Pah!

And they'd also be happy to host those British scientist too, you ought to get some technical benefits if the British fall.

If I pick up remnants of the British Empire, it's rather likely I'll be hitting Major Power status sooner rather than later, meaning I'd get a 7 point boost to my leadership from my current 10. That enough technical benefits for you?

-----

I got back from my exam in London and I think it went pretty well, crossing my fingers. My update priority goes to my CK2 AAR first but then I'll be throwing another update including air and industry techs this way over the weekend. Keep your pants on, ladies and gents, the ride's about to get bumpy!

EDIT: Oh yes, and I'd like to extend my thanks to everyone who voted for me in the ACAs! Last Man and Shilling won a landslide 14 votes to seal Favorite HOI(1-3) History-Book AAR, and won the most overall votes of any AAR in the competition (17). I'm touched that this side project became so popular, I'll do my best to keep it entertaining as a reward for you guys!

It deserved it Saithis. A very well written, and well laid out AAR about a country mostly overlooked in regards to WW2 history. Got to remember it was Aussie infantry supported by British tanks and Arty that turned the seemingly invincible Germans back at Tobruk and also inflicted the first real defeat on the Japanese in New Guinea. You've done well with an alternate naval based style in my opinion as well.

Congrats on the award, it'a well deserved (I voted for LMaS, so my opinion should not come as a surprise). You have a very interesting game going and you write it up very well.

Looking forward to updates to both of your AARs. :)

Congrats man! Everybody does love a good story involving Aussies!

It deserved it Saithis. A very well written, and well laid out AAR about a country mostly overlooked in regards to WW2 history. Got to remember it was Aussie infantry supported by British tanks and Arty that turned the seemingly invincible Germans back at Tobruk and also inflicted the first real defeat on the Japanese in New Guinea. You've done well with an alternate naval based style in my opinion as well.

Thank you very much. Australia and Canada are two of my most-loved countries from the era because of the contributions they were able to make and how damned effective they actually were in battle. Although so far my build productions and focus have developed the Navy, that is only due to the desire to not be dependent on the Royal Navy. Given the current state of the Battle of Britain, that might have been a wise investment! Either way, the Army is going to get some serious investment once that Carrier and its CAGs finish.

The Australians are obviously biased here ;). However, here is the judgement from the neutral point of view of a Pole:

This AAR is absolutely amazing.

I've never met an unbiased Australian in my life! ;) I'm glad you think it's amazing, though! :D

Congrats on the award, it'a well deserved (I voted for LMaS, so my opinion should not come as a surprise). You have a very interesting game going and you write it up very well.

Looking forward to updates to both of your AARs. :)

Thank you very much, I'm still somewhat surprised so many people voted for it, but I'm touched to hear so many of you enjoy it!

Congratulations! Well deserved indeed.

Thanks!

Congrats man! Everybody does love a good story involving Aussies!

Thank you! Hopefully the Aussie Story will get more epic before it gets more boring! :p

-----

Update should be coming sometime later today, hopefully it won't take too long.

Personally, I'm more impressed by Canda's ship-building capabilities and their pilots during WWII than by the use of their land forces, since because of small MP (11 million people in 1939) their contribution was bound to be minor. Of course they had their own heroes and distinguished units, but that was the case with the Free French, Australians, Indians, Poles etc. as well. On the strategic level, Canadian frigates and destroyers were much, much more important than their troops.

You have done very well here. I've had this in my favourites bar for a little while but it was good to finally catch up. Looking forward to the update later today.

Personally, I'm more impressed by Canda's ship-building capabilities and their pilots during WWII than by the use of their land forces, since because of small MP (11 million people in 1939) their contribution was bound to be minor. Of course they had their own heroes and distinguished units, but that was the case with the Free French, Australians, Indians, Poles etc. as well. On the strategic level, Canadian frigates and destroyers were much, much more important than their troops.

Strategically speaking, yes. Canadian units did perform very well in both wars on average on the ground, though, they deserve respect for that. But that's neither here nor there and quite off-topic. Update time.

You have done very well here. I've had this in my favourites bar for a little while but it was good to finally catch up. Looking forward to the update later today.

Thank you, a pleasure to have you on board. I hope you enjoy the update.

lmasbanner.png

Chapter 3.2 - Facing the Hun

The day of reckoning had arrived - now Australia's military would face its greatest opponent in the mighty Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine. Much speculation was made into just how well prepared the RAAF and RAN were; the results were somewhat lacking.

techtwinaircraft.png

Australian bomber technology was outdated and lacking. Virtually the entire bomber fleet and related technologies were borrowed British designs and reserve bombers that the RAF no longer considered necessary for her requirements. These outdated planes would struggle to make an impact against the extremely potent, high-tech aircraft of Germany. The only redeeming feature was Australia's natively designed and produced airlaunched torpedoes, which were reckoned to be amongst the best in the Commonwealth and were designed for the kind of shallow water combat expected in the Channel, Mediterranean and around Indonesia.

techsingleaircraft.png

Australia's native aircraft industry was booming, however. While her modern air force consisted primarily of Hawker Hurricanes and small numbers of British-Built Supermarine Spitfires, Australian military planners had commissioned a natively built fixed monoplane interceptor in light of recent clashes with the Japanese Navy. Although it was believed that the Japanese aircraft consisted mainly of outdated biplanes, it soon became clear that the Japanese Air Force held nothing but monoplanes when it faced the west. Japanese fighters were in fact so dangerous that they were rampaging across the Pacific - confidential reports leaked to the British suggested that as many as a dozen planes to shoot down a single Japanese fighter. RAF India's Spitfires fared little better, with a confirmed kill rate of 9½ British planes lost for every Japanese plane shot down. Australian commanders needed a new aircraft to combat this enemy fighter and it needed it soon.

techairdoctrine.png

Although Australian aircraft designs were relatively modern and on their way to becoming cutting edge, her pilots were not so well endowed. RAAF training methodologies were extremely outdated both in terms of piloting and ground crew; they had fared well against the Italians but it was assumed that against the dominant Luftwaffe, Commonwealth forces would not find such an easy task. RAN crews, however, sported a much better training regimen and organizational capacity. RAN pilots were feared as some of the best in the world and it was believed that the RAN would be able to compete with the best as long as modern planes continued to be produced in sufficient quantity.

techindustry.png

On the homefront, Australia was a prime example of a modern industrial state. With an excellent educational system, well-organized military-industrial complex and strong development of scientific and electronic pursuits, Australia was believed to be outmatched Industrially and Economically speaking by only a few countries, pound per pound. Although investment in the economy had stalled with the high demands of the war, it was believed that resources would be reallocated to enhancing Australian industry sooner rather than later.

techtheory.png

Her theoretical abilities, however, fell somewhat short of demands. Although she was well-practiced at transporting her supplies over vast distances, Australia had little experience in the difficulties of poor infrastructure. The disorganized and weak throughput of supplies in places such as Southeast Asia was going to enact a toll on the Australian troops already tired from weeks of fighting in the terrible jungle weather against an underground foe they could hardly grasp hold of.

aldershotbreakthrough.png

German tanks punch a hole in the British lines in northern Hampshire, opening up the Home Counties to a determined assault.

But in Britain, the battle was firmly upon the ground and becoming more serious by the moment. German Armour broke through British lines and seized the town of Aldershot, further encircling Hampshire. British war planners believed that without Portsmouth, the British Isles could not be taken by the Wehrmacht whose supplies were flowing through Dover alone. Luftwaffe patrols maintained a close watch over the channel, preventing any easy incursions by British ships or submarines and relentlessly bombarding the British lines.

germansoldiers.png

Although the tanks were a much-lauded and dangerous part of the Wehrmacht, most of the hard work was being done by the infantry on the ground who had to dislodge well-entrenched British soldiers.

On the ground, Wehrmacht forces enacted punishing defeats on the British across the line, but the going was not easy for them. The British forces along the line outnumbered them and held the home advantage of familiarity. They fought from dense hedgerows, from crowded industrial-era streets and from every orchard, every barn, every church. Although the City of London was in flames from repeated artillery shelling and bombing runs by Göring's bomber fleet, the Union Jack still flew proudly over the city's streets and tens of thousands of British and Allied troops held the north bank of the River Thames firmly against German advances from the south. Although Hitler was angry with the British for their defiance, he ordered bombers to avoid iconic London landmarks for the time being and to focus on industrial and commercial hubs - he hoped that he could make them surrender soon and did not want to invoke their wrath just yet. Every soldier who died here was one less gun on the Eastern Front when the inevitable war with Stalin came.

isthmusoffensive1.png

ANZAC troops push towards the Kra Isthmus even without the support of their new armour.

In Asia, however, good news reached the ANZAC forces for a change - in spite of numerous reinforcements, the Thai Army was being pushed back by a relentless assault spearheaded by the New Zealand Cavalry. With the support of Australian heavy artillery, the Corps had seized the valuable supply port at Nakhon and was pushing up the Malay peninsula towards the Kra Isthmus. Although early casualties had been high, it seemed now that Siam alone could not stand against the modern training and equipment of Australia and New Zealand. Australian commanders hoped to dine in Bangkok by Spring - a lofty goal, considering progress so far, but one that the Allies perceived as very possible.

nzplymoutharrival.png

Three divisions of fresh ANZAC troops arrive in Britain, ready to contribute to the fighting in the East.

Meanwhile at Plymouth, the bulk of the New Zealand Infantry and the 1st Australian Cavalry arrived to engage the German Army and try to salvage the situation for Britain. Bringing almost 30,000 men into combat would be a great boon for a British Army with numerous weak points, but that alone might not be enough to defeat the Germans. Hitler's army was still placing huge pressure on London at the expense of everything else and although the defence was holding so far, taking the Imperial Capital would be a huge victory for the Reich, perhaps even more than the Fall of Paris. British morale was predicted to crumble should this happen. HMAS Vanguard and her taskforce left within the day to return to Sicily and guard the evacuation of the island, but the trip would be hazardous. On the evening of the 20th, news came in that the fleet had been attacked by German forces.

channelapproachskirmish.png

The battle had been short but bloody - a German Taskforce under the direct command of Großadmiral Raeder sortied out of Brest to engage a reported British fleet moving south from Plymouth. Consisting of the pocket battleship Schleswig-Holstein, the Heavy Cruiser Graf Spee and several squadrons of destroyers, the Germans were not expecting to meet the heavy resistance of the RAN taskforce this soon. Although the Germans attempted to close in and engage the Australians and did so with limited success, they could not breach the RAN's defensive perimeter and get at the soft transports, instead taking serious damage to the Graf Spee and losing a number of her escorts to dive bomb attacks from the Vanguard's aircraft. The distraction, however, was enough for other foes to take advantage. Vice Admiral Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière, a German Admiral and Submarine Ace of great reputation and skill, heard of the battle from just a few kilometers west of its location. Racing east, he found the Australian fleet heavily distracted by its skirmishing with the Kriegsmarine and vulnerable to a strike by his U-boats. Before the Australianss in escort could respond to the threat, three of their troop transports, a frigate, two supply ships and a single destroyer had been torpedoed. A second volley of torpedoes would result in nothing conclusive and the mauled Kriegsmarine taskforce retreated from the battle, happy that at least some damage had been done. Admiral Colvin was frustrated at the success of the German ambush, and maintained a watchful eye against the U-Boats for the remainder of the trip. They feared - quite rightly - that the Germans were tailing them, and on one occasion Vanguard's patrol aircraft spotted and successfully sunk a German submarine. The Kriegsmarine had bloodied them, but in terms of military vessels sunk Australia was winning.

isthmusoffensive2.png

Desperate counterattacks by the Thais were only slowing Australian progress at the cost of many Axis lives and would lead to the risk of their units being completely shattered and overrun. It almost seemed like Siam wanted to lose the war.

Meanwhile in Siam the breakthrough continued as Thai forces were virtually in danger of becoming overrun by rapidly advancing Australians. Although the Kiwis of New Zealand were unused to the harsh terrain, Australian forces had trained in the tropical conditions of Queensland, Northern Territory and Papua New Guinea for exactly this kind of encounter. They were well-equipped for Jungle Warfare and prepared for the worst. In spite of rainstorms and repeated Thai ambushes, the Australians moved with surprising speed and confidence through the terrible terrain. Weather, disease and the jungle itself seemed to do more damage to the advancing ANZAC forces than any opposition military could, but through it all the Australians managed to make the most of it and keep morale high. They were tired and most had a poor grasp of exactly where they were. Some seemed to think that Bangkok might lie just over the next hill and that the nightmarish conditions were almost over. The truth was that the jungle had only just begun to take its toll and this test of Australian morale was only just beginning.

cherbourgbombing.png

Bostock's Bombers conduct the daring Cherbourg Raid - although it had little real war impact, it was well-captured by aerial photographers and a film crew and caused large amounts of superficial damage. This made it a great propaganda piece for the Allied Forces, who believed the tide was turning against the Kriegsmarine.

Meanwhile on the 21st a daring raid was struck out by General Bostock's Short Sunderlands against the Kriegsmarine. Pummeling the French port of Cherbourg with bombs, they caught the Luftwaffe completely by surprise and were able to deal heavy damage to the port facilities. KMS Schleswig-Holstein was struck by a bomb although damage was not as severe as it looked from the air and two more destroyers were hit, one of which exploded violently due to a bomb landing directly on one of the guns' magazines. As Luftwaffe fighters began to close in on their position, Bostock ordered an early retreat rather than risk losing more of his bombers than necessary. The raid was deemed a complete success by Allied High Command although it had little real impact on the Kriegsmarine's fighting strength. The Allies would continue to underestimate the German Navy's operational capacity and what it was actually capable of.

readingreorg.png

ANZAC forces arrive on the front lines but the German Offensive is headed north and east, giving them plenty of time to prepare themselves for a counterattack into their flank.

German forces continued to pile the pressure onto British lines, but there was plenty more to come for all sides. The newly arrive ANZAC troops had regrouped and reorganized themselves at Reading, plugging one of the last holes in the German lines. As the German armour continued to punch into the Home Counties, a plan was hatched to push directly into the advancing German spearhead from the west. With enough pressure, it was hoped that the Australians could force the Germans to either retreat or see their armoured spearhead cut off. The loss of an armoured division would be key in the attempts to seize

britishsoldiers.png

During the Battle of Hove nearly 1,000 British soldiers lost their lives in a desperate push to try and retake Sussex from the Germans. A further 3,000 would be pulled off the line due to injury, but the British fought hard for their country.

Buoyed by the arrival of ANZAC reinforcements, the British began to counterattack along the south coast. Elements of the British Army pressed heavily from Hampshire into Sussex in the hopes of retaking the town of Brighton from a substantially weakened German force. It was the first proper offensive the Allies had conducted in the Battle of Britain so far and High Command hoped that they could retake the port at Dover, cutting the entire operation off from its main supply line. The operation was optimistic to say the least and overestimated the firepower and numbers that Britain could bring to bear against their invaders.

fmmontgomerymessingberd.png

The man responsible for the British defensive strategy: Field Marshal Archibald Montgomery-Massingberd, a decorated veteran of the Great War.

The entire defence was being mustered by the once-retired Field Marshal Archibald Montgomery-Massingberd. With a shortage of officers available due to many captured in the Battle of France, a large number of Great War veterans had been mobilized to try and muster some kind of leadership in the face of German attacks. It was deemed a messy operation and Montgomery-Messingberd had a poor understanding of the modern Army to say the least. Every small success he claimed was usually due to German failures and against the heavily mechanized German forces he had no real answer. British motorized divisions were not used to their full potential and simply manned the line like regular units. His subordinates were furious but there was little that they could do as the Relic held seniority above the other officers and still had the support of the government.

yugoslavianpocket.png

The Balkan Alliance fails to eliminate the pocketed German Armour as reinforcements secure a narrow path of supply. They continue to be pushed back slowly on every front.

Meanwhile in Yugoslavia, the situation was turning dire. The attempted pocketing of the German spearhead had failed as Axis forces relieved the armour from its overextended position. The Balkan Alliance was rapidly becoming overextended and defeat was turning into a matter of when, not if. Britain herself could offer nothing but apologies to the Yugoslavians as all spare resources were being funneled back to Britain for the sake of defending the Homeland.

sloughbrightonpushes.png

The push to retake Brighton succeeds and Sussex falls back into British hands. The men of 6th Corps are exhausted from the push and outnumbered - the planned advance into Kent is called off for the time being.

In spite of Montgomery-Massingberd's weaknesses, a victory was finally won at Brighton. The town fell back into British hands on the morning of the 25th - Christmas Day would be celebrated by Brighton's citizens under their own country's flag. On the same day, New Zealand troops launched a heavy and direct assault against the German positions around Aldershot while the Australian 1st Cavalry swung north to try and cut off any reinforcements from the Panzer division in Slough. The operation, although still in its early days, was looking to be successful. Other places were not so lucky. Kent, Surrey and large sections of East Anglia were still in German hands three weeks after the first German landings. Although British Naval presence had increased following the surprise invasion, it was still insufficient to overcome the Luftwaffe's air advantage and reinforcements continued to arrive in Dover. A stalemate had been drawn, but now the British needed to push the Germans back into the sea before German reinforcements could arrive by sea or air.

heinzguderian.png

General Guderian in a command post somewhere near the front lines. Although he seems to radiate personal confidence, it is well known that the General was worried for his men and highly critical of the poor supply and support he received from the mainland.

Although the Germans were struggling to meet their achieved objectives, the blame lay not within the Generals on the ground, but within the command structure back home. General Heinz Guderian, the Theater Commander on the ground in Britain, was constantly frustrated by Hitler's stubborn unwillingness to negotiate. The Führer had multiple times ordered all available forces in Britain to attempt an encirclement and capture of London against Guderian's advice. The General and his staff insisted on taking Portsmouth and Hull to strengthen their supply lines and render vulnerable the industrial heartland of the English North. Hitler did not believe this would offer the kind of political victory that London would bring and refused the plan. When Guderian informed him that at double the current number of divisions would be required to ensure victory in Britain and that their current situation was impossible and foolhardy, the Führer was incensed with his words and nearly relieved the General of his command, only holding back due to his immense popularity on the home front. Fall Seelöwe had started strongly, but now stuttered in the face of increasing difficulty. It seemed only a matter of time before British reinforcements overwhelmed the landing force and drove nearly 150,000 German men off the shores of England and back into the sea...

December 11th-December 28th
Royal Australian Army:
891 Soldiers killed in action
Royal Australian Navy:
3x Troop Transports sunk
1x Frigate sunk
2x Merchant Ships sunk
1x Destroyer sunk
Royal Australian Air Force:
24x Short Sunderland Bombers lost
8x Hawker Nimrod Carrier Planes lost
3x Gloster Sea Gladiator Carrier Planes lost
15x Hawker Hurricane Fighters lost
12x Supermarine Spitfire Fighters lost
6x Blackburn Skua Dive Bombers lost

German Wehrmacht:
541 Soldiers killed in action
34x Tanks destroyed
5x Tank Destroyers destroyed
German Kriegsmarine:
9x Destroyers sunk
1x Submarine sunk
3x Merchant Ships sunk
German Luftwaffe:
14x Messerschmitt 109 Fighters lost
3x Messerschmitt Bf 110 Zerstorer Fighters lost
Royal Thai Army:
1,590 Soldiers killed in action
Royal Thai Air Force:
3x Mitsubishi Ki-21-Ib Bombers lost​

Last edited:
I have slowly by slowly reached chapter 3.0. Gee... did the German AI really come up with a fairly powerful Seelöwe by themselves or did you mod it? This will turned out to be tough for the aussies...

Exciting stuff. It seems that the German offensive is running out of steam.

BTW how do you calculate aircraft losses?

I have slowly by slowly reached chapter 3.0. Gee... did the German AI really come up with a fairly powerful Seelöwe by themselves or did you mod it? This will turned out to be tough for the aussies...
It is not possible to mod the military AI. You can only encourage the Germans to make more amphibious invasions by telling them to build more transports.