• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr. Charisma22

President
28 Badges
Dec 1, 2010
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Deus Vult
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
How does fertility of females in the game work as they get older? Do they hit like a certain age and boom.
No children. Or does the fertility just decrease as females age? Also, does fertility in men decrease as they age as well? I do already know that they can keep having kids though until their death I believe.

I never played Deus Vult! but i am interested in this too.
It worked the same way in DV it did in CK1, and CK1 is $10 on Gamer's Gate. DV is $20.

Basically the more kids you wanted the younger you had to marry. The problem was that female fertility started dropping off a cliff at about age 30, and if you factored in CK's fairly realistic child mortality rates, most of the time when you married a 32-year-old you wouldn't have any surviving children. This is a huge deal because in most circumstances you want a marriage to produce a male heir, and 50% of the kids you have won't be males.

For example a 28-year-old would usually get pregnant twice, but if you really needed an heir she was a terrible choice. There's a 25% chance they'll both be girls, and you're screwed. While there's a chance you'll get lucky and have four, there's an equal chance you'll have none. And this is before factoring in child mortality.

Nick

Yea but celibate was no more children (even bastards) ever anymore, in CK1/DV at least. Chaste, homosexual and maybe temperate, lower it a bit. In CK1 there was at least indulgent and lustful that raised it. Lustful 16-20-year-olds were good bride material, if you were worried about having enough kids.

There are a lot of things that impact fertility in CK2.

Yes, women are on a timer, so to speak. But I've gotten some kids cranked out at age 40. Not common, but it can happen.

The catch is that men also have a variety of things that can impact their fertility, too. Illness, stress, depression, celibacy, chastity, infirmity, and even being incapacitated (by either injury or old age, requiring a regency). That 70 year old king of yours probably ain't going to get too much babby-forming done unless he's really healthy. Old age hurts more in CK2 than in CK1 and DV.

Oh, and you'll notice I mentioned celibacy. Obviously, if you are controlling yourself, you won't choose celibacy if you need more heirs. But you can't control your sons, and I've had heirs who decide it is better to be celibate than to burn. :(

EDIT: There are also special limitations on unimportant characters. If you check out the game files, there are child limits imposed on non-heir barons, and non-dynasty, unlanded courtiers. That keeps the opposite problem, a court full of stupid characters, from happening. :)

I started to wonder, when I saw that thread.
1. Woman first needs to get pregnant, and then after nine months child appears, or there is no such a condition as being pregnant in the game. And if there is no, could it possible happen that child was born five months after the wedding or five months after his sibling.
2. Is there twins?

As a side question. In CK1 if a woman was pregnant at the time that her husband died and he had no sons, the title would pass to another relative. If the child was born and was a boy, too bad. Now I seem to remember that in practice wives of kings would usually be kept in seclusion for a time after the monarchs death to ensure they were not with child and therefore possible heirs, and if they were indeed pregnant, the unborn child would be the king provided he was of course born a boy. In modern property law which derives quite directly from that medieval tradition, a child, even an unborn one, can inherit under certain circumstances. Is CK2 going to treat unborn children any differently in this regard than CK1 did?

As a side question. In CK1 if a woman was pregnant at the time that her husband died and he had no sons, the title would pass to another relative. If the child was born and was a boy, too bad. Now I seem to remember that in practice wives of kings would usually be kept in seclusion for a time after the monarchs death to ensure they were not with child and therefore possible heirs, and if they were indeed pregnant, the unborn child would be the king provided he was of course born a boy. In modern property law which derives quite directly from that medieval tradition, a child, even an unborn one, can inherit under certain circumstances. Is CK2 going to treat unborn children any differently in this regard than CK1 did?

I think game mechanics just, wouldn’t allow that, unborn child (I may be wrong) doesn’t exist as character, so game doesn’t count him, and therefore can’t provide regency without a character.

The workaround here would be that the unborn child would either always exist as a hidden character for all pregnancies, or if your character dies with a pregnant wife, the game creates an "age: unborn" child. Tricky though, and yea, the reason this isn't in the game is that all titles always need someone to have that title at all times, a title can't hang in limbo while waiting for the possible heir to be born.