+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Childbearing

Second Lieutenant Mr. Charisma22's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Childbearing

How does fertility of females in the game work as they get older? Do they hit like a certain age and boom.
    No children. Or does the fertility just decrease as females age? Also, does fertility in men decrease as they age as well? I do already know that they can keep having kids though until their death I believe.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Lead and GoldMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

It looks like you've played Dues Volt from your icons. Just recall what happened in that game and transpose it to this release.

I never played Deus Vult! but i am interested in this too.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Quote Originally Posted by senior_hombre View Post
    I never played Deus Vult! but i am interested in this too.
    It worked the same way in DV it did in CK1, and CK1 is $10 on Gamer's Gate. DV is $20.

Basically the more kids you wanted the younger you had to marry. The problem was that female fertility started dropping off a cliff at about age 30, and if you factored in CK's fairly realistic child mortality rates, most of the time when you married a 32-year-old you wouldn't have any surviving children. This is a huge deal because in most circumstances you want a marriage to produce a male heir, and 50% of the kids you have won't be males.

For example a 28-year-old would usually get pregnant twice, but if you really needed an heir she was a terrible choice. There's a 25% chance they'll both be girls, and you're screwed. While there's a chance you'll get lucky and have four, there's an equal chance you'll have none. And this is before factoring in child mortality.

Nick

Yeah but are males "fertile" up to their dead or does their fertillity drop too?

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Quote Originally Posted by senior_hombre View Post
    Yeah but are males "fertile" up to their dead or does their fertillity drop too?
    In CK1 male fertility didn't drop noticeably with age.

Nick

that is nice, thanks.

Colonel
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2
    Victoria 2

Unless your ruler decides to go celibate (I had one guy do this at age 83 or something, he had his last kids in his 60s though I think).

Crusader Kings IIEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III
    Lead and GoldMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    or is homosexual then fertility drops also a bit.
    Je suis votre roi et L'etat c'est moi!

Colonel
    Victoria 2

Yea but celibate was no more children (even bastards) ever anymore, in CK1/DV at least. Chaste, homosexual and maybe temperate, lower it a bit. In CK1 there was at least indulgent and lustful that raised it. Lustful 16-20-year-olds were good bride material, if you were worried about having enough kids.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaSengokuMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Or is physically or mentally ill then fertility drops also a bit.

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

bottom line is marry your men off to women as young as possibile to maximize baby making time
    "The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact."
    Samuel Huntington
    “War gives the right of the conquerors to impose any conditions they please upon the vanquished”
    Julius Caesar

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    ImpireIron CrossKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Supreme Ruler 2020The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderMagicka: Wizard Wars IMPressive Founder

in CK 1 DV i managed to get a bastard at age 62
    Need Teamspeak ? join 173.199.64.243:9323

Covert Mastermind Demi Moderator Secret Master's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

There are a lot of things that impact fertility in CK2.

Yes, women are on a timer, so to speak. But I've gotten some kids cranked out at age 40. Not common, but it can happen.

The catch is that men also have a variety of things that can impact their fertility, too. Illness, stress, depression, celibacy, chastity, infirmity, and even being incapacitated (by either injury or old age, requiring a regency). That 70 year old king of yours probably ain't going to get too much babby-forming done unless he's really healthy. Old age hurts more in CK2 than in CK1 and DV.

Oh, and you'll notice I mentioned celibacy. Obviously, if you are controlling yourself, you won't choose celibacy if you need more heirs. But you can't control your sons, and I've had heirs who decide it is better to be celibate than to burn.

EDIT: There are also special limitations on unimportant characters. If you check out the game files, there are child limits imposed on non-heir barons, and non-dynasty, unlanded courtiers. That keeps the opposite problem, a court full of stupid characters, from happening.
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

Note: If I write a post in this hideous color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Paying attention is strongly advised.

I started to wonder, when I saw that thread.
    1. Woman first needs to get pregnant, and then after nine months child appears, or there is no such a condition as being pregnant in the game. And if there is no, could it possible happen that child was born five months after the wedding or five months after his sibling.
    2. Is there twins?

Yeah, there is a pregnancy trait. I haven't timed the duration of pregnancy. And yes, there are twins.

Yesterday one of my female characters had a baby at like 42 .

Quote Originally Posted by PdoxLP View Post
    Yeah, there is a pregnancy trait. I haven't timed the duration of pregnancy. And yes, there are twins.

Yesterday one of my female characters had a baby at like 42 .
    And twins could be monozygotic and dizygotic?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

As a side question. In CK1 if a woman was pregnant at the time that her husband died and he had no sons, the title would pass to another relative. If the child was born and was a boy, too bad. Now I seem to remember that in practice wives of kings would usually be kept in seclusion for a time after the monarchs death to ensure they were not with child and therefore possible heirs, and if they were indeed pregnant, the unborn child would be the king provided he was of course born a boy. In modern property law which derives quite directly from that medieval tradition, a child, even an unborn one, can inherit under certain circumstances. Is CK2 going to treat unborn children any differently in this regard than CK1 did?

Quote Originally Posted by Warzybok View Post
    As a side question. In CK1 if a woman was pregnant at the time that her husband died and he had no sons, the title would pass to another relative. If the child was born and was a boy, too bad. Now I seem to remember that in practice wives of kings would usually be kept in seclusion for a time after the monarchs death to ensure they were not with child and therefore possible heirs, and if they were indeed pregnant, the unborn child would be the king provided he was of course born a boy. In modern property law which derives quite directly from that medieval tradition, a child, even an unborn one, can inherit under certain circumstances. Is CK2 going to treat unborn children any differently in this regard than CK1 did?
    I think game mechanics just, wouldn’t allow that, unborn child (I may be wrong) doesn’t exist as character, so game doesn’t count him, and therefore can’t provide regency without a character.

Colonel
    Victoria 2

The workaround here would be that the unborn child would either always exist as a hidden character for all pregnancies, or if your character dies with a pregnant wife, the game creates an "age: unborn" child. Tricky though, and yea, the reason this isn't in the game is that all titles always need someone to have that title at all times, a title can't hang in limbo while waiting for the possible heir to be born.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast