• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GoldenHorde

Corporal
15 Badges
Dec 26, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
In CK 1 the default succession law for Irish Lords was "Salic Consanguinity" law.It really bugged me because when I was playing as Count (Now Earl I guess) of Dublin, his father always named the other child as heir.Is this law gone now?

AFAIK succession laws are now more modular. There are Agnatic (male only), Cognatic, and Agnatic-Cognatic (male preferred) laws. And there is the option to have the succession be controlled by Primogeniture (oldest child inherits), Seniority (oldest relative inherits), Elective (nominate an heir), or Gavelkind (split titles equally between heirs).

So Salic Consanguinity the way CK1 had it apparently no longer exists in that setup, though you could probably achieve similar results with an Agnatic-Elective succession.

Last I saw the Irish used Seniority. The eldest member of the dynasty inherits. In some ways this is more historical then the old consanguinity, because various branches of the family can alternate, but it's still not a great way to simulate tanistry.

Nick