+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Regarding the Succession Laws

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Regarding the Succession Laws

In CK 1 the default succession law for Irish Lords was "Salic Consanguinity" law.It really bugged me because when I was playing as Count (Now Earl I guess) of Dublin, his father always named the other child as heir.Is this law gone now?

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I think its still there, but Im not 100% sure, it might be called something else
    "The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact."
    Samuel Huntington
    “War gives the right of the conquerors to impose any conditions they please upon the vanquished”
    Julius Caesar

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Thanks for the answer If it's still there It might be fun to use If the Earl's father names his other child heir you could decleare war to press claims.A nice story.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2500k club

AFAIK succession laws are now more modular. There are Agnatic (male only), Cognatic, and Agnatic-Cognatic (male preferred) laws. And there is the option to have the succession be controlled by Primogeniture (oldest child inherits), Seniority (oldest relative inherits), Elective (nominate an heir), or Gavelkind (split titles equally between heirs).

So Salic Consanguinity the way CK1 had it apparently no longer exists in that setup, though you could probably achieve similar results with an Agnatic-Elective succession.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIRome Gold
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

It shall be interesting with these succession laws, always fun to abusde them

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Last I saw the Irish used Seniority. The eldest member of the dynasty inherits. In some ways this is more historical then the old consanguinity, because various branches of the family can alternate, but it's still not a great way to simulate tanistry.

Nick

+ Reply to Thread