• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What would happen if your guards didn't manage to imprison Aquitaine? :)

I would have cried. And then, I would have put gin in my Corn Flakes and narrated a much shorter film about how I threw away 1/3 of France in a risky venture. :D

The only good news is that since France's crown authority is already really low, letting Aquitaine become independent in a civil war would not be super bad, just plain ol' bad. If crown authority was higher than minimum, letting him go would mean a reduction in crown authority. That really sucks if you need crown authority.

Yes, in case it isn't obvious, what I did in my game was a risky strategy.

Although, your post does remind me, Delra, that with changes in 0.80, there might be other options. I could let Aquitaine get away with a plot to make France an elective monarchy. I could then confiscate William's lands and make my brother Duke of Normandy, and vote for him as the next king. He would vote for himself, and I could start handing out duchy titles to stack the deck in my favor.

I second the request for the mouse pointer next time. It's the first thing I notice if it's missing in a video like this. It just makes it much easier to follow what's happening, especially since you're recording the VO separately. Maybe it makes it harder to play, but recording audio at the same time let's one pause while they explain, point things out as they happen, etc.

Enough complaining, that was perhaps the most informative video I've seen on CKII. Thanks! I especially like the format of, "Here's my short-term goal, here's what I do to accomplish it."

I hope you make another along these lines before release!

I liked it a lot. Thanks for taking the time, and for using the term "Xanatos Gambit". I looked that up and laughed, thinking back on the show that inspired it.

I'm presuming the 4:3 aspect is for benefit of recording.

best LP as far.
the only one I stood watching integrally.
well commented, very clear and informative. damn goOd !

I have noticed that the death of the duke of Aquitaine is the best thing that can happen to the king of France (or French vassal in his neighborhood for that matter). His duchy has gavelkind and splits up nicely. So waiting for him to get a few more children (preferably female) and helping him die might be a valid strategy too.

PdoxLP. I probably wouldn't be playing Crusader Kings or even Hearts of Iron for that matter if I hadn't found your youtube channel a couple of years ago. So thanks for that.

I do hope that they make not all the vassals quite so... unruly. After all, not every ruler had to deal with civil wars and insurrections. Peaceful diplomacy should be a viable route in managing vassals. At least, vassals without Ambitious or any other such trait that would explain such behavior :)

Brilliant Let's Play there SM. Enjoyed the hell out of watching it and now just wanna play it even more :(

Well, in the current version, the best strategy is to take out William first and get his cash. :)

It's incredibly gamey, but William the Bastard starts with over 1,000 gold so he can support the cost of the invasion force that is about to attack England. If you wait until he is committed across the Channel, it becomes a Xanatos Gambit. If you imprison him successfully, you can confiscate his lands and cash, prevent him from taking the throne of England (which makes Normandy leave France), and gain some demesne. If you fail, he goes to war with you, but he is already committed to a war in England, so you have more or less free reign to siege his holdings. He can't white peace with Harold unless Harold is willing (and Harold is probably not willing until he pins and destroys/loses to William's army). So, either way, you can grab his stuff. The catch is that he might squander the cash before you force him into prison if you fail to catch him at first.

That seems like it's ripe for a balancing. To be honest, I was really surprised you confiscated the vassal's money as well as the lands. I would figure that money would just stay with the character like it did in CK1.

I do have one complaint...

why didn't you start video LP'ing earlier?! That was really well done, didn't grind my teeth or yell at the screen once

I believe he's abstained due to the potential for a conflict with his objectivity as a game journalist. I'm don't know exactly what's up with that, but he mentioned something along those lines when I encouraged him to produce an LP before.

I believe he's abstained due to the potential for a conflict with his objectivity as a game journalist. I'm don't know exactly what's up with that, but he mentioned something along those lines when I encouraged him to produce an LP before.

That's a very good reason imho, but I think you can still preoduce LPs while remaining objective :)

And please, SM...ignore the complaints about the mouse pointer. You made the right choice. Most of us don't give a rats about seeing the mouse pointer or where you're OCD-ingly pointing it at. :)

That's a very good reason imho, but I think you can still preoduce LPs while remaining objective :)

And please, SM...ignore the complaints about the mouse pointer. You made the right choice. Most of us don't give a rats about seeing the mouse pointer or where you're OCD-ingly pointing it at. :)

"Most" seems an odd assumption, considering several have asked for it. It's something people missed enough to comment on. And if you don't care, why not have it in for those who do?

We're dealing with maps. You want to point something out on a map, you need something to point with.

Hell if its possible, have the mouse.
I dont like it, as it distracts me like a dog starring at a sausage.:eek:o
While here i dont see that why we need it. Theres usually always a pop-up or he clicks on what hes talking about and you'll see whats on.

But well for the peace, have the mouse showing, please.

OnTopic: Excellent LP, very informative, educative and entertaining. This one should be considered a CK2 for starters must-see LP.
For Marketing, Facebook and stuff.

"Most" seems an odd assumption, considering several have asked for it. It's something people missed enough to comment on. And if you don't care, why not have it in for those who do?

We're dealing with maps. You want to point something out on a map, you need something to point with.

Because the forum doesn't constitute everyone

Marketing/advertising research has shown that for videos like this people get distracted from the content by the mouse pointer.

I noticed that the coat of arms of the kingdom of Burgundy or Arelate is used for the duchy of Burgundy (which should be like IIRC the county of Dijon, coat of arms of the old Capetian house of Burgundy, alternative the CoA of Touraine and this CoA can be quartered to the CoA of the house of Valois-Burgundy). Have they changed this in more recent versions?

Last edited: