• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, I guess I'll play.

In.

Will I be the new ultrawar? :)

Johho, you're going with backstabbing apprentices, after what happened in EURO's game?
Yes, apprentices can be stolen if that is what you mean. It doesn't happen a lot and it is one of the things that can cause paranoia in a JL so I think the possibility is a good thing. It also should make people more concerned with who they trust with what info which is also a good thing in my book.

I've had the "steal apprentice" rule in all the games I hosted and IIRC it only happened once when the seer stole the priest's(!) apprentice. I remember that Thistletooth as a sorcerer's apprentice was thinking about getting converted to the good side (because his RPing character was so goodie goodie) but but alas he chickened out.

Nevertheless, apprentices in a JL being turned are quite nasty too. And sorc apprentices turning and divulging scanlists are also unbalancing. The main problem, however, is that there is no limit to being turned. So, it can happen, like in EURO's game, that an apprentice will refuse to change sides after being stolen, and will work against their game objective, just so he doesn't betray his former side.
Ah, that is a concern. However the chance of/time to get "stolen back" and still win is pretty low so you'd almost have to play to lose to do that, wouldn't you?

Yeah, I guess I'll play.

In.

Will I be the new ultrawar? :)
I admire your enthusiasm, sir.

Certainly you can be the new Ultrawar, adding it to the RPing list as we speak.

Johho: in the Euro game, the JL ended up with a list of 3 baddie apprentices, one of whom had been initially stolen from us, who ALL wanted to join the JL and who were all feeding us info.

I know that this is very different from your experiences, but it was quite surreal... Allowing people to basically choose their side does very strange things to a game.

Subscribed.

Ah, that is a concern. However the chance of/time to get "stolen back" and still win is pretty low so you'd almost have to play to lose to do that, wouldn't you?

That was what happened in last game. Forcing the player to cooperate isn't a desirable scenario either, it would be like trying to enforce that wolves cannot bring any harm to packmates. Still, I would set that chance at 0, just to make it more clear.

Johho: in the Euro game, the JL ended up with a list of 3 baddie apprentices, one of whom had been initially stolen from us, who ALL wanted to join the JL and who were all feeding us info.

I know that this is very different from your experiences, but it was quite surreal... Allowing people to basically choose their side does very strange things to a game.

Tbh, I wanted to join the JL just to get revenge on the traitors by betraying the betrayers.

That was what happened in last game. Forcing the player to cooperate isn't a desirable scenario either, it would be like trying to enforce that wolves cannot bring any harm to packmates. Still, I would set that chance at 0, just to make it more clear.
I'll meet you halfway and set the re-steal chance to 0. That way an apprentice that get stolen can never go back to his original master just like a cursed player getting turned to a werewolf never can get back to being a goodie. OK?

Well, then the lesson should be to not let your apprentices know everything. Comparmentalize the knowledge, set up passwords to get the contacts up again if you die as a scanner etc.

Letting player's chose side is definitely a bad thing which is why I don't like neutral roles.

Last edited:
I admire your enthusiasm, sir.

Certainly you can be the new Ultrawar, adding it to the RPing list as we speak.

Oh sorry, misunderstood, you have. :) Won't be RPing anyone.

Back where I used to play, we had a set of joke 'rules' One was: Rule 68. UltraWar must be killed in round 1.

He played around 10 games, in each single one, he was killed on Night 1. Poor guy...

Oh sorry, misunderstood, you have. :) Won't be RPing anyone.

Back where I used to play, we had a set of joke 'rules' One was: Rule 68. UltraWar must be killed in round 1.

He played around 10 games, in each single one, he was killed on Night 1. Poor guy...
I figured ultrawar was some Mafia player from the other forum but I chose to deliberately misunderstand you. ;)

But since everyone will get a RPing name for their eventual death scene even if they don't plan to role play at all I'm keeping you as herr doktor Ultrawar from the Prussian expedition. I hope that is OK with you?

I shall portray MADONNNA from the WORLD WIDE GLOBAL PHENOMENON:

SWEPT AWAY!

swept_away.jpg

I shall be playing as Captain Piero Calamai of The Andrea Doria - The Pride of Italy.

And I shall exact my scathing revenge on all things Swedish for causing the loss of my Ship - Curse Stockholm and it's inept Captain Harry Gunnar Nordenson.

I shall be, once again, Gerardus Mercator, famous Flemish cartographer.

174px-Mercator.jpg

Which means that I do know perfectly well where we are and where we need to go. Now all we need is actual transportation.