• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The village did have 2 GAs and a doctor though. If they had managed to get a JL up and running, taking out a spokesperson would have been HARD.

Yes. :)

Too bad that our plan to use touch of evil on humancalculator did not work. That would have been even more elegant.

I realized you had us cornered, so I decided to go for it. Guess you guys were one step ahead of me the entire time.

Elegant, but broken beyond belief. :p

Also, if anyone wondered who that priest was .. that was me, talking rendap into giving me his scanlist, before killing him :D
You should be a little bit more careful with telling cultists who your wolf contacts are. We should have hunted TNT as soon as you contacted Nautilu, but instead we went for Jacob-Lundgren as I thought he was a wolf too.

Screw you, other pack.

Sorry, but my communications with them were much better than with you guys.
And with the seer's scanlist clearing king, bagricula, and .. I forget. Someone :p, our suspect list was down to two people - you, and tamius.
Besides, you couldn't both win. Today it simply boiled down to convenience - we could take you down, so we did.

The village did have 2 GAs and a doctor though. If they had managed to get a JL up and running, taking out a spokesperson would have been HARD.

Oh, yes. Very, very hard.
However, without a priest, and a sorcerer faking to be priest, getting the seer's name, and then getting the Seer hunted .. well. That JL was pretty dead by then.

You should be a little bit more careful with telling cultists who your wolf contacts are. We should have hunted TNT as soon as you contacted Nautilu, but instead we went for Jacob-Lundgren as I thought he was a wolf too.

Actually, I thought you guys either already knew through vain, or that nautilu would keep his mouth shut like a good cultist should have :p
At any rate, I was serious in my desire to be neutral - at least, until the village got down to numbers where parity was easy to get.
Which happened today ..

edit: Speaking of vain - how much *did* he tell you? I scanned him on night 0 and told him all about me and taiisatai (my cultist contact), but how much did he really pass on? He never gave you guys my name, did he?

Oh, btw, Falc, congrats for figuring out you're an apprentice, contacting enkhuush about it, then getting claimed by me, instead.
That day was *fun* .. :)

Sorry, but my communications with them were much better than with you guys.

EURO handled stuff dealing with you for the first bit, as Vain was his cultist. Once he died, I assumed that you were already in bed with the other pack, and I was hesitant to give you any info as you told us that Taii was a cultist for the other pack.

Oh goodie I hope we get a good GM AAR now :D

EURO handled stuff dealing with you for the first bit, as Vain was his cultist. Once he died, I assumed that you were already in bed with the other pack, and I was hesitant to give you any info as you told us that Taii was a cultist for the other pack.

Of course I wasn't. From my perspective, I didn't care which wolves won the game. All I wanted was to see the village die as quickly as possible without actually having an inter-pack fight before the village no longer had any say in the matter of who won the game.
That bit worked out perfectly, mind.

If you'd asked I'd given you guys both my and rendap's scanlists, for instance.

Oh goodie I hope we get a good GM AAR now :D

Seconded.
I really would like to hear Johho's take on this game.
Especially considering sbr's complaints about the ineffectiveness of vote analysis..

And I was right about the_hdk being wolf damnit! I already called it on day 2, but no one listened :(

The GM AAR part 1 - The Player Choice and Lady Luck

The "let the players pick their roles" was intended to make the setup more unpredictable. It was a bit of a gamble since the setup could have been very loopsided and the only tools left for me as the GM to balance things with was the hidden traits/roles (Blessed, Cursed, Apprentices), the "Lady Luck appeal" and the Mayor vote prize.

In general I think it worked out pretty much as I intended and you got a setup that looked winnable for all parties but also looked nothing like what I would have designed. Of course the values of traits and roles could have been balanced better.

If someone want to used this player pick system in the future I think it would be better to post a list of baddie pick point/roles-traits and another for goodie pick point/roles-traits and then just PM out "You are a goodie with X pick points". The way I did it took forever and also had the possibility to be used to determin who was on which side.

I had three different groups, JLers, baddies and goodies and they all got one of these three PMs (scaled down to remove what they couldn't afford)

johho888 said:
You are an important goodie.

You can be
a) seer*
b) priest*
c) Guardian Angel
d) doctor

* if more than one player chose the same scanner role only one starts as scanner and the rest will be his apprentices.

johho888 said:
You are a villager.

You have 7 pick points (PP) and can pick traits from the list below as long as the traits add up to no more than 7 PP:

Leader* (1 PP)
Plotter (1 PP)
Brutal (2 PP)
Spiritually Attuned (2 PP)
Priestly Powers (2 PP)
Hunter (5 PP)
Lover (6 PP)
Distiller (4 PP)
Witness (4 PP)
Spiritual Witness (3 PP)
Seerish Powers (3 PP)
Priestly Powers (2 PP)
Sorcerous Powers (2 PP)

* As there can be only one Leader at a time you might end up as 2nd/3rd/etc in command if more players select Leader.

johho888 said:
You are a baddie in one of the packs.

You have 8 pick points (PP).

Use these pick points to select one baddie role and as many traits you can afford from the lists below.

Roles
1. Werewolf (4 PP)
2. Sorcerer* (3 PP)
3. Cultist (1 PP)

Traits
a. Leader** (2 PP)
b. Spiritually Attuned (2 PP)
c. Spiritually Witness (3 PP)
d. Plotter (1 PP)
e. Distiller (4 PP)
f. Sourcerous Powers (2 PP)
g. Seerish Powers (3 PP)
h. Cloak of Invisibility (4 PP)
i. Brutal (4 PP)
j. Hunter (5 PP)
k. Lover (5 PP)
l. Touch of evil (5 PP)

* If more than one player in your pack selects sorcerer then some will become apprentices to him.
** As there can be only one Leader at a time you might end up as 2nd/3rd/etc in command if more players selects Leader.

Villagers and Cultist with few pick points got the chance to appeal to Lady Luck.

Lady Luck used two dices and there was
1/36 chance to get what was desired
1/36 chance to get any of the visible traits
1/6 chance to get nothing
1/6 chance to get blessed
1/6 chance to get poet (a RPing trait)
1/6 chance to get leader
(I made up the probabilities for Lady Luck after everyone made their picks.)

The GM AAR part 2 - Roles and Rules

Distiller - A late minute addition inspired by the role-blocker from Ciry's game. I think this has the potential to be a keeper. It is more valuable
for a baddie than for a goodie in the early game. In the endgame it is probably more of value for a goodie. I know lots of people think lover is too powerful
and this could be seen as a watered down version of lover.

Touch of Good/Evil - I think these are best put on apprentices rather than on starting scanners. For this game I restricted them so people couldn't touch themselves (ewww!) but didn't think about this:

johho888 said:
randakar said:
@Johho: Rules questions:
1) Can an apprentice with touch of evil use that trait, or does he need to be a full-blown scanner? (Reading the trait description is ambiguous .. and I really wonder why enkhuush didn't just put touch of good on Rendap)
2) Can a touch of evil be put on a wolf or cultist?
3) If so, what happens when that wolf (or cultist) is hunted? Nowhere does the description of 'cursed' say that the cursed player will actually be allied to the pack that hunted him. I *assume* that that is how it works, but I'd rather be certain.
1) You need to be a scanner to use the touch (since it is instead of a scan). That is how I used it before and how I intended it to be used when I came up with the trait. However if I use this trait again I think I'd change that so all it requires is the master not scanning. I'm not changing it in midgame though.
2) Since I didn't set any limitations I guess it can be used on anyone even wolves and cultists or for that matter sorcerers. If I use it again I think I'd restrict it to goodie-aligned players (I think that would make sense RPing wise as well).
3) A cursed player gets included in the pack that hunted him so a cursed wolf would actually change packs. Yikes, that rule really needs changing. Or maybe not? Will discuss this more after the game.

Spiritual Witness - Never liked this myself and only included it so people would have more things to chose from. Noone picked it so I guess noone else likes it either.

Parity Check
johho888 said:
humancalculator said:
When do cultists/sorc's/sorc apprentinces count for parity?
I check for parity after the Day phase (lynch and brutal) and after the Night phase (hunts and wolf attacks). Cultists/sorcerer are included at every parity check.

Actually I think I gave the wrong answer to that one. I think I normally check after each step, after lynch+brutal, after sorcerer scan, after hunter hunt, after wolf attack+hunter retaliation. What do you guys think?

Stealing Apprentices - I'm not sure what I think here. Should it be allowed, not allowed or restricted like I had in this game?

Leader - "Can only redirect to people with at least 1/3 of the votes of the lynchee." This was never put to the test but I think it's about right and can be used if Leader is used.

Cloak of Invisibility - Nobody used it, not even as a standing order to save themselves. Nobody picked it (despite all the pre-game talk about it being "overpowered" ;)). Doesn't seem to be that game-altering so might be used again.

RPing traits - I tried to only hand them out in such a way that people who didn't like them could back out and I think this is the way to go if any of these are kept.

johho888 said:
tamius23 said:
johho888 said:
tamius23 said:
johho888 said:
I need a sub for AOK. 11, do you want his role?

I can take it. I've been following the thread :)D)
Good!

AOK started out as a plain villager with a RPing trait, Proud. Let me know if you feel like having it or not or if you'd rather continue with the "Lisp"

You have the "Proud" trait, which means that anytime when someone votes you, you must do one of the following things:
- challenge him to a duel
- counter-vote him
- insult someone in his family
- insult his country of origin
If you really don't want this RPing trait you can instead have the trait "Plain", which means you can do whatever you want RPing wise.

He then won the "mayor election" and got two new traits, Priestly Powers and Cloak of Invisibility.

So you are a Proud Villager with Priestly Powers and a Cloak of Invisibility.

The Lisp got intensely irritating after the first three posts or so. I think I can take the "Proud" - I thought that was how he normally acted.
You think correct. I actually made the trait up modeled on how AOK behaved and then LOLed at Lady Luck who threw the trait at him...

And then there was me who got nothing. Nada. Zilch. Not even the Lady Luck option.

As soon as I saw what everyone else had got, I knew I had to have something hidden. In the EURO game, I was an apprentice, so I contacted Enkhuush telling him my suspicions.

Unfortunately, the goodies didn't scan me, but Randakar did...

And then there was me who got nothing. Nada. Zilch. Not even the Lady Luck option.

As soon as I saw what everyone else had got, I knew I had to have something hidden. In the EURO game, I was an apprentice, so I contacted Enkhuush telling him my suspicions.

Unfortunately, the goodies didn't scan me, but Randakar did...
Actually there were three of you that got nothing. Only you had a hidden trait.

I'm pretty ok with all you said about the traits. Restricted apprentice stealing sounds nice, I think I'd do a parity check every day and every step of the night, leader rule was good, and the touches indeed need some working.

The GM AAR part 3 - The Setup

The JLers all got pick one of the four important goodie roles and I expected there to be no priest, many seers and maybe one GA. That was not what happened.

Rendap said:
johho888 said:
You are an important goodie.

You can be
a) seer*
b) priest*
c) Guardian Angel
d) doctor

* if more than one player chose the same scanner role only one starts as scanner and the rest will be his apprentices.

You also have the "Religious" trait, which means you must use the phrase "may good have mercy on his soul" when referring to a dead player and state "Praise the Lord" in case a baddie is lynched. More mentioning of Lord, God, Christ etc. is of course also welcome.
If you really don't want this RPing trait you can instead have the trait "Plain", which means you can do whatever you want RPing wise.

The Lord be Praised! I have been a Doctor and a Priest yet The Almighty in His Visdom grants me the chance too see the future! I feel that this is a calling that I must undertake in His Honor! I shall become the Lords Seer on this journey!

I Shall Serve His Will till the end of my days and continue my crusade against the Godless Swedes!
Paendrag said:
Ohh.. God.. What would the others take.. MMmm.. Aaaahhh..We don't want to end up without a Seer but..
*breaks out in sweat*
I'll be (the?) Guardian Angel...

jacob-Lundgren said:
Lets role the GA. If someone else picked a scanner let them have it, if no one else did well then we are in for a wild time at least. :cool:

Boris ze Spider said:
I will be a doctor

Two teams of baddies (8 + 8 + 6 + 5 + 2 PP):

Rousseau
TNT (8)
Taii (8)
Lord_D (6)
Yakman (5)
randakar (4)
pevergreen (2 or Lady Luck)

Swedenborg
EURO (8)
Vainglory (8)
Capt. Kiwi (6)
the_hdk (5)
humancalculator (4)
Nautilu (2 or Lady Luck)

I was expecting at least one of the 8PP to go for sorcerer + touch of evil but noone did. I was also afraid there would be too many wolves and sorcerer while in fact there turned out to be pretty balanced with maybe a little bit more cultists than I would normally have in a game this size.

Capt. Kiwi said:
I am convinced there's no priest, that Johho allowed the villagers to pick and nobody picked priest.

Disclaimer: I do NOT know the setup.

That was exactly the reason I chose Lover Cultist. Distinct possibility of no Priest, and unable to be targeted for hunting? Yes please :)

The rest... can wait till post game if you want to hear from me :)

As for the villagers they got

7 PP - Surantes
6 PP - Bagricula
5 PP - snoopdogg, sbr
4 PP - Kriszo
3 PP - Najs, Slinky
2 PP - walrus, OrangeYoshi, tamius23
1 PP (or Lady Luck) - Adamus, reis91, Kingepyon, enkhuush, Rockingluke
0 PP - Falc, AOK. 11, esemesas

Lady Luck

pevergreen the cultist wanted to be a werewolf but rolled cultist distiller (better than what he could get with his 2PP)
Kingepyon wanted to be a lover but rolled blessed.
reis91 wanted to be a lover but rolled spiritual witness (better than what he could get with his 1PP)
The rest that could have talked to Lady Luck picked plotter or leader

So no priest and a whole lot of cultists really hurt the village.

By about day 8 I was realizing that we probably had a bunch of priestly powers players, but I don't even think that was true.

I had thought that the number of cultists and wolves would be switched, so I thought we had another day.

I got the most PP? I was still the most unlucky villager ever known.

So no priest and a whole lot of cultists really hurt the village.

By about day 8 I was realizing that we probably had a bunch of priestly powers players, but I don't even think that was true.

I had thought that the number of cultists and wolves would be switched, so I thought we had another day.
You had one single Priestly powered guy but he sat on his hands for the whole game and didn't use it...

Although you didn't have a priest you had three protectors so had the seer got a JL started it would have been pretty well protected.

You had one single Priestly powered guy but he sat on his hands for the whole game and didn't use it...

Although you didn't have a priest you had three protectors so had the seer got a JL started it would have been pretty well protected.

I remember the seer trying to get one started.

That ended well :p