• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

iron0037

37th Great-Grandson of Charlemagne
75 Badges
May 15, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
One of the things I never particularly cared for in EU3 was the all-or-nothing ownership of provinces. With the ability to have up to 7 settlements in a province, this is a great opportunity to provide more historical granularity to the game by letting different realms share a province. Will it therefore be possible to control cities, baronies, and churches in another realm's province? Can a baron in the Duchy of Aquitaine answer to the Count of Toulouse? Will the cities of Ascalon and Tyre reside in Muslim hands, engulfed by the crusader province, if I start the game in 1120? Will the Principality of Achaea be able to sell Nafplion to Venice in 1388?

This is something I've assumed is possible for a long time. However, looking back through dev diaries, I don't explicitly see it mentioned. I haven't exhaustively watched the video previews, and my memory isn't perfect. It's possible that I've forgotten the citation, but I'd like to get some clarification.

If this is indeed possible, I'm curious about some of the mechanic's details. Can soldiers from different players cohabitate a province? Are Muslim troops stationed in Ascalon while Christian troops are in Jerusalem? Do you have to march between settlements if you want to fight one another? Do you have siege settlements individually or a province as a whole? I'm afraid I already may know the answer to some of these questions...

Awesome, thanks! So when I look through the history files, I'll see a Muslim-held Ascalon in the 12th century? :)

What if I go to war with an independent settlement I cohabitate with? On Day 1, will our soldiers instantly fight one another?

Sorry for so many questions...I'm just eager for Feb 7 ;).

Yeah, they will fight as soon as they're raised, probably day one in this case.

I've seen weird things happening with this. In one of my game the King of England (a Capet, to make it even more crazy) had the county of Paris and had his 'capital' there. The king of France (someone else) owned some baronies in the county of Paris and also had his capital there. The English and French kings were neighbors :).

Yeah, they will fight as soon as they're raised, probably day one in this case.

I've seen weird things happening with this. In one of my game the King of England (a Capet, to make it even more crazy) had the county of Paris and had his 'capital' there. The king of France (someone else) owned some baronies in the county of Paris and also had his capital there. The English and French kings were neighbors :).

I can imagine them yelling to each other from their own castles ramparts to get out of each other county. :p

I can imagine them yelling to each other from their own castles ramparts to get out of each other county. :p

They were probably yelling, "YOUR FATHER WAS A HAMSTER! AND YOUR MOTHER SMELT OF ELDERBERRIES!"

Perhaps the lestplayers did not focus, or did not own any cities or bishoprics, but... are all estate improvements military oriented? Is there at least some variety between the various types of holdings.

It probably won't be very exiting. I imagine the count of the province just raises the rest of the province's levy against the little baron's lone settlement and the whole thing would probably be over very quickly.

That one baron might have more troops than the county has in defending the holding. If he doesn't raise his levies all those troops are counted in as defenders in the holding including also those that are there as a default.

Perhaps the lestplayers did not focus, or did not own any cities or bishoprics, but... are all estate improvements military oriented? Is there at least some variety between the various types of holdings.

I'm not fully sure about this, but I believe it was mentioned in the past that there is a gigantic tax penalty for cities or bishoprics being under the direct control of a feudal lord (70%, I think???). That's probably why you don't see anyone having them in the preview videos. For cities and bishoprics to be useful, they kind of have to be in the hands of mayors and bishops, you know what I mean?

I'm not fully sure about this, but I believed it was mentioned in the past that there is a gigantic tax penalty for cities or bishoprics being under the direct control of a feudal lord (70%, I think???). That's probably why you don't see anyone having them in the preview videos. For cities and bishoprics to be useful, they kind of have to be in the hands of mayors and bishops, you know what I mean?

I presume so, but I'd still hope they have unique improvements and that the AI barons improve them.

I'd still like to see free royal cities across the realm without fealty to the local counts.

I'm not fully sure about this, but I believe it was mentioned in the past that there is a gigantic tax penalty for cities or bishoprics being under the direct control of a feudal lord (70%, I think???). That's probably why you don't see anyone having them in the preview videos. For cities and bishoprics to be useful, they kind of have to be in the hands of mayors and bishops, you know what I mean?

I think that 70% is what you do collect, so it's a 30% penalty. Since tax rates don't go up to 70%, you're still better off with it under your control than a mayor's.

I think that 70% is what you do collect, so it's a 30% penalty. Since tax rates don't go up to 70%, you're still better off with it under your control than a mayor's.

You understand the system wrong. The penalty comes to the money you are going to get so it doesn't matter what tax rate you have as you will lose the percent of the money anyway.

So if Barons can be independent can do they get married, spawn heirs etc?

The Dev Diary thread mentioned that there were concers about the superfluous characters in yet another court tier. But another thread yesterday mentioned that Barons can be promoted to Count.

So if you marry off a son and toss young Lackland into a barony will he still breed children to expand your family tree?