• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sure, we just need to determine which provinces, Capua obviously, Latium, maybe Naples?
Naples's terra di lavoro and Samnium.

For once, I thought I would amend your events ;)
About GTA_388000, I see that you kept the loss on infra in action B. I thought you were for removal.
About the CPA event, why adding that action b? In case, there should be some more bad facts: - btv and/or - infra and/or - stab and/or - adm for some time...

The action C should be still triggered with AMI or NAP existing, and action D should be very expensive.

Naples's terra di lavoro and Samnium.
Ok, good, should we make them province events with a trigger that the owner is Christian?

About GTA_388000, I see that you kept the loss on infra in action B. I thought you were for removal.
Because these are still your events, those are only my proposals. You will have noticed that I only modified triggers, dates and commands triggering/sleeping events. The rest is up to you.

About the CPA event, why adding that action b? In case, there should be some more bad facts: - btv and/or - infra and/or - stab and/or - adm for some time...

The action C should be still triggered with AMI or NAP existing, and action D should be very expensive.
B - To leave the player with a choice, yes it should bring bad things, but cost no money.
C - Yes.
D - Not very, it should require some money but not so much as the Saracens will be weakened by the disappearance of their Gaetan protectors.

About post #19, it all looks good.

Now, while I was testing the AI choices, it occured to me once that SPL_382000 B was picked. So ITA was stuck with revolts due to the Spoletan party, while Wido had renounced the Crown.

I think SPL_382000 should be given ITA_228003's trigger and dates so that Wido first says if he wants to press his claim. Then ITA_228003 would be triggered by SPL_382000 A. What do you think?

About post #19, it all looks good.

Now, while I was testing the AI choices, it occured to me once that SPL_382000 B was picked. So ITA was stuck with revolts due to the Spoletan party, while Wido had renounced the Crown.

I think SPL_382000 should be given ITA_228003's trigger and dates so that Wido first says if he wants to press his claim. Then ITA_228003 would be triggered by SPL_382000 A. What do you think?
Yes, I have thought about this, even if we could assume that Berengario had tamed the Spoletan rebels. But you are right, it is better to start the sequence with SPL making decisions.

In case, we couldn't need any longer event ITA_228027 as 228029 or 228030 will reset province RR or change the event to give info to the player.

EDIT: Should I amend post #19 or keep it untouched and post an update? I'd prefer to have updates and new suggestions in following posts as to keep track. As much as for the new suggestions for Capua events.

Last edited:
This is an update to post #19.

About Italy being vassal of the kingdom of East Franks before the struggle between Guido di Spoleto and Berengario del Friuli:
Code:
event = {
	id = 198000
	trigger = {
		NOT = { war = { country = NST country = FRA } }
	}
	country = FRA

name = "The Kingdom of the West Franks"
	desc = "."

date = { day = 29 month = february year = 888 }

action = {
		name = "Elect Eudes, marquis de Neustrie"
		command = { type = relation which = NST value = 50 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 384000 } #NST: The Kingdom of the West Franks
		[COLOR=Red]command = { type = trigger which = 228003 } #ITA: Guido's aim at the Italian crown[/COLOR]
	}
	action = {
		name = "Elect Charles, son of Louis le Bègue, instead"
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049501 } #Eudes de Neustrie
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049522 } #Charles III
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049520 } #Foulques de Reims, regent
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049502 } #Charles III (early)
		command = { type = stability value = -3 }
		command = { type = relation which = NST value = -100 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 384005 } #NST: The Kingdom of the West Franks
		[COLOR=Red]command = { type = trigger which = 228003 } #ITA: Guido's aim at the Italian crown[/COLOR]
	}
	action = {
		name = "Give the crown to Guy, duc de Spolète"
		command = { type = vassal which = SPL }
		command = { type = relation which = SPL value = 400 }
		command = { type = relation which = NST value = -200 }
		command = { type = add_countryculture which = lombard }
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049525 } #Guy Ier de Spolète
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049546 } #Lambert Ier
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049547 } #Guy II *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049548 } #Guy III *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049549 } #Lambert II *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049550 } #Guy IV *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049551 } #Albéric Ier *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049552 } #Lambert III *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049553 } #Albéric II *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049554 } #Guy V *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049555 } #Albéric III *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049556 } #Guy VI *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049557 } #Guy VII *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049558 } #Lambert IV *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049559 } #Adalbert Ier *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049560 } #Lambert V *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049561 } #Guy VIII *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049562 } #Adalbert II *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049563 } #Guy IX *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049564 } #Lambert VI *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049565 } #Guy X *
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 049566 } #Guy XI *
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049501 } #Eudes de Neustrie
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049505 } #Louis IV
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049506 } #Lothaire
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049507 } #Louis V
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049508 } #Hugues
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049509 } #Robert II
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049510 } #Henri Ier
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049511 } #Philippe Ier
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049512 } #Louis VI
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049513 } #Louis VII
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049514 } #Philippe II
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049515 } #Louis VIII
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049516 } #Louis IX
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049517 } #Philippe III
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049518 } #Philippe IV
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049519 } #Edwige de Wessex (Louis IV)
		command = { type = sleepmonarch which = 049522 } #Charles III le Simple
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = sleepevent which = 382000 } #SPL: The Kingdom of the Lombards[/COLOR] 
		command = { type = trigger which = 384005 } #NST: The Kingdom of the West Franks
	}
}
a little tweak in the description:

After Charles the Fat's death, the Empire was split in kingdoms and kings were elected by great nobles. In late February 888, Eudes, marquis de Neustrie and Comte de Paris, managed to get himself elected King of West Franks by an assembly of nobles. Those were mostly his close vassals and allies. The other powerful Marquis, in Aquitaine, Auvergne, Bourgogne, Flandres were not there and only the Archbishop of Reims, Foulques, attempted to oppose the victor of the Normans only two years before, by defending the candidacy of the only Carolingian left in Francia, Charles, son of King Louis le Bègue (877-879). Guy, duc de Spolète, also of Carolingian descendency, hoped for the title which actually got a couple of weeks after at Langres.

in following event I think we need to change some text: instead of "his" I'd suggest to use "Berengario"... more clear now.
Code:
event = {
	id = 205031
	trigger = {
		ITA = { monarch = 064500 } #Berengario I
	}
	country = GER

name = "Anarchy in the Kingdom of Italy"
	desc = "."

date = { day = 0 month = january year = 888 }
	offset = 360
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = [COLOR=Yellow]888[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]889[/COLOR] } 

action = {
		name = "[COLOR=Red]Require his[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]Request Berengario's[/COLOR] submission"
		command = { type = trigger which = 228025 } #ITA: [COLOR=Yellow]The submission to the German King[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Arnulf, King of the Eastern Franks[/COLOR]
	}
	action = {
		name = "We are not interested in Italian affairs"
		command = { type = DIP which = -2 value = 24 }
		command = { type = relation which = ITA value = 50 }
	}
}
untouched description:

After Charles the Fat's death, the Empire was split in kingdoms and kings were elected by great nobles. In Northern Italy the local nobles elected Berengario, Margrave of Friuli and Louis the Pious' grandson, as King of Italy. But still Berengario didn't acknowledge the newly elected Emperor and king of the East Franks, Arnulf of Carinthia, as his liege. Arnulf moved an army towards Trento, ready to siege Verona.

Here are the modification to the starting event of the sequence with Wido and Berengar fighting for the Italian crown:
Code:
event = {
	id = 382000 [COLOR=Red]#triggered by ITA_228003 A (888)[/COLOR]
	country = SPL
	[COLOR=Yellow]trigger = {
		ITA = { 
			monarch = 064500 #Berengario I
		}
		event = 205032 #GER: Berengar's submission
		OR = {
			event = 384000 #NST: The Kingdom of the West Franks 
			event = 384005 #NST: The Kingdom of the West Franks
		}
	}[/COLOR]   

name = "The Kingdom of the Lombards"
	desc = "."

[COLOR=Yellow]date = { day = 0 month = january year = 888 }
	offset = 30 
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 888 }[/COLOR]

action = {
		name = "Attempt to seize the Crown"
		command = { type = stability value = -1 }
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				vassal = { country = ITA country = SPL }
			}
			type = breakvassal which = ITA
		}
		command = { type = relation which = ITA value = -400 }
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 521 } #Pentapolis
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 522 } #Umbria
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 527 } #Parma
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 528 } #Ravenna
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 529 } #Ferrara
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 662 } #Secusia
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 663 } #Ventimiglia
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 664 } #Liguria
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 665 } #Aquae
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 666 } #Novara
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 667 } #Milan
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 668 } #Placentia
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 669 } #Brescia
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 670 } #Mantua
		command = { type = war which = ITA }
		command = { type = inf which = 519 value = 8000 } #Spoletium
		command = { type = cav which = 519 value = 4000 } #Spoletium
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = trigger which = 228003 } #ITA: Guido's aim at the Italian crown[/COLOR]
	}
	action = {
		name = "We dare not"
		command = { type = relation which = ITA value = 200 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 382001 } #SPL: The taking of Pavia
		command = { type = trigger which = 228027 } #ITA: Berengar's [COLOR=Yellow]legitimation[/COLOR]
	}
}
As I said in other posts, SPL should start as vassal of ITA together with TOS so we can remove the command from 228003 B.
Code:
event = {
	id = 228003 #triggered by [COLOR=Yellow]SPL_382000 A[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]FRA_198000 A / B(888)[/COLOR] 
	[COLOR=Red]trigger = {
		monarch = 064500 #Berengario I
	}[/COLOR] 
	country = ITA

name = "Guido's aim at the Italian crown"
	desc = "."

action = {
		name = "We keep Berengario del Friuli as king"
		command = { type = setflag which = [Feudal_Anarchy] }
		command = { type = stability value = -3 }
		command = { type = revolt which = 662 } #Spoletan party in Ivrea
		command = { type = revolt which = 665 } #Spoletan party in Pavia
		command = { type = revolt which = 665 }
		command = { type = revolt which = 667 } #Spoletan party in Milan
		command = { type = revolt which = 667 }
		command = { type = revolt which = 668 } #Spoletan party in Placentia
		command = { type = revolt which = 668 }
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 662 value = 30 } #Secusia
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 666 value = 30 } #Novara
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 665 value = 30 } #Aquae
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 667 value = 30 } #Milan
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 668 value = 30 } #Placentia
		command = { type = revoltrisk which = 60 value = 20 }
		[COLOR=Red]command = { type = trigger which = 382000 } #SPL: The Kingdom of the Lombards[/COLOR]
	}
	action = {
		name = "[COLOR=Yellow]We acknowledge[/COLOR] Guido di Spoleto"
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 064501 } #Guido
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 064502 } #Lamberto
		command = { type = independence which = FRL }
		command = { type = independence which = IRA }
		[COLOR=Red]command = { type = vassal which = SPL }[/COLOR] [B]reason: redundant[/B]
		command = { type = trigger which = 228024 } #ITA: Strenghtening the throne
		command = { type = trigger which = 382003 } #SPL: Guido IV
	}
}

in following event we now have another issue, what if Italy isn't vassal to Germany? A solution would be to remove the part about Arnulf's legitimation or modify the event description for SPL_382000, ITA_228003, FRL_390000 like this:

After Charles the Fat's death, the Empire was split in kingdoms and kings were elected by great nobles. Seeing his candidacy for the King of West Franks rejected by the Magnates, Guido di Spoleto turned his ambitions to the crown of the Kingdom of Italy currently held by Berengario del Friuli who was legitimated by Arnulf King of the Eastern Franks. in spite of Arnulf's imperial claims in Italy as King of East Franks.

We can keep ITA_228027, but we would change the text to inform the ITA player of the avoided risk of revolts:
Code:
event = {
	id = 228027 #triggered by SPL_382000 B (889-894)
	random = no
	country = ITA

name = "Berengar's [COLOR=Yellow]legitimation[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]victory[/COLOR]"
	desc = "[COLOR=Red]King Berengario kept his crown on his head as Guido di Spoleto renounced his aim to rule over Northern Italy.[/COLOR]"

action = {
		name = "Good"
		[COLOR=Red]command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 662 value = -30 } #Secusia
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 666 value = -30 } #Novara
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 665 value = -30 } #Aquae
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 667 value = -30 } #Milan
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 668 value = -30 } #Placentia
		command = { type = revoltrisk which = 48 value = -10 }[/COLOR]
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = stability value = 1 }
		command = { type = ADM which = 1 value = 24 }[/COLOR]
	}
}
NEW description:

After Emperor Charles the Fat's death, the Magnates in the Kingdom of the West Franks elected Eudes, marquis de Neustrie and Comte de Paris, as their new ruler. Seeing his candidacy rejected, Guido di Spoleto turned his ambitions to Italy but he found in Berengario del Friuli a fierceful contender to the crown.

Last edited:
Good work with fixing things, thanks. :)

About the 915 league, I hope we can reach a consensus. I have had no time to present my arguments like I promised in a previous post. I should be able to post something tomorrow.

Good work with fixing things, thanks. :)

About the 915 league, I hope we can reach a consensus. I have had no time to present my arguments like I promised in a previous post. I should be able to post something tomorrow.
Ok. I have seen Kreutz's pages about the participation of the Pope in the league. Probably it has something to do with the people making chronicles embellishing facts concerning Popes... ;-)

In this case if Teofilatto was the real master of Rome, we could assume he had an important part in that coalition because of its influence? After all, because of the successful campaign against the Saracens in Garigliano, Alberico of Spoleto married Marozia and Berengario got the crown.
About Gaeta, its about-face, or its not doing anything, had something to do with the ducal title they got from Byzantium, iirc.

Ok, it is good that you have the book. I will make my points shortly then, as you can read about them by yourself.

About Berengario's involvement. We have note 15. on page 181 which tells us that it has sometimes been erroneously stated Berengar was involved as well. This is confirmed by another book I have, 'L'Italie au Moyen Age (Ve-XVe siècle)' by Jean-Pierre Delumeau and Isabelle Heullant-Donat, where it is told that 'Certes, [Bérenger] ne participa pas à la grande coalition anti-sarrasine de 915, ...'.

About GTA. Yes BYZ handed over titles of patricius imperialis to many south Italian rulers, see note 43. on page 177 about that. PAP also seems to have played a decisive role in their rallying, see p.78.

About CPA-BEN's embassies to BYZ. This is detailed in p.77, it would seem that the earliest embassy was around 910, maybe 909 but not much sooner. Then the decisive one only took place in 914, I am not sure we need the previous ones. Also given the note I mentioned above about GTA, I am not convinced that CPA should become a vassal of BYZ on this occasion.

About PAP and GTA, I have also read in a note that probably the Pope crowned Berengario emperor as a favour exchange in order to press claim to Gaeta, note 14 on page 181.

But Berangario seemed to do nothing after he took the crown.

A consideration about note 15. I undestand that Berengario didn't take part, but as I told you, Alberico of Spoleto would probably have intervened under Berengario's assent as he was his vassal.

Could we assume that the Pope rewarded Berengario because of the new relations with Spoleto after years of crisis? I can't find anything more specific about that.

Yes, I remember note 14. but it looks like nothing came out of it, or do you think that PAP should get a claim/casusbelli core if they accept to crown Berengar? As far as I can remember this is exactly why I did not script anything about Berengar's imperial coronation, he does not seem to have gained anything from it. Some time ago, you asked me about my sources for Northern and Central Italy.

Apart from the French book I quoted above, I have 'Naissance de deux peuples - Français et Allemands (IXe-XIe siècle)' by Carlrichard Brühl, mostly useful for the Ottonian interventions of course, but it has a passage about Berengar and Wido, and it does not mention anything between 915 and 923.

I also have 'The New Cambridge Medieval History, Vol. III', chapter 'The kingdom of Italy', by Giuseppe Sergi, only mentions that, soon after his coronation, Berengar had to face a hostile coalition including not only Tuscany and Ivrea but also the archbishop of Milan and Alberic of Spoleto. This culminated in 923 with the call to Rudolf of Burgundy.

Yes, I remember note 14. but it looks like nothing came out of it, or do you think that PAP should get a claim/casusbelli core if they accept to crown Berengar?
No, no core. It was just to give some appropriate descriptions in the events I have in mind.

I also have 'The New Cambridge Medieval History, Vol. III', chapter 'The kingdom of Italy', by Giuseppe Sergi, only mentions that, soon after his coronation, Berengar had to face a hostile coalition including not only Tuscany and Ivrea but also the archbishop of Milan and Alberic of Spoleto. This culminated in 923 with the call to Rudolf of Burgundy.
Yes, I have this source too, even if abridged. Events about Burgundian intervention were actually my next step after the Garigliano Arabs.

I hope I will be able to write a proper chain of events for the Garigliano Arabs in the days to come, as I was very busy in the last weeks, apart from some agceep debugging... ;-)

Last edited:
@Bordic, mostly.

About Capua-Benevento, the more I think about it, the more I think it has been a mistake to handle it through vassalization. Yes, the co-rulers were nominally princes of Benevento, but de facto the two rulers always acted together as only one political entity between 900 and 981. So, I think one should inherit the other, but which one? We could even create a new tag, as they are now unlimited, for 'Capua-Benevento'. I know I did it for Castile-Leon.

About the Byzantine cores, I was thinking of opening a new thread 'Byzantine Empire' to discuss them so as not to clutter this one when we discuss the 915 sequence you are planning.

@Bordic, mostly.

About Capua-Benevento, the more I think about it, the more I think it has been a mistake to handle it through vassalization. Yes, the co-rulers were nominally princes of Benevento, but de facto the two rulers always acted together as only one political entity between 900 and 981. So, I think one should inherit the other, but which one? We could even create a new tag, as they are now unlimited, for 'Capua-Benevento'. I know I did it for Castile-Leon.
Yes, I went for the same conclusion in reading Kreutz's book. "Capua-Benevento" could be the new tag. But what I am now wondering is if MichaelM is going to implement that already mentioned union of countries, such as Castile-Aragon or Castile-Burgundy or Spain-Austria for vanilla ftg... In that case the provided command will help.

About the Byzantine cores, I was thinking of opening a new thread 'Byzantine Empire' to discuss them so as not to clutter this one when we discuss the 915 sequence you are planning.
Yes, as we also need to talk about the Aghlabid invasion of Calabria in 888-889 and the possibility to start the 888 scenario with BYZ and THU already warring each other without any coded event to fire. And more about the wars between Fatimids and Byzantium up to 967.

In the end, I was guessing if we need to have BEN and NAP being at war with each other as it seems to me that these were more of retaliations as of organized military expeditions (the already quoted page 65 from "Before the Normans"). So starting with looted capital provinces could be more plausible...

Before getting deep into Garigliano Arabs, I'd include these events:

897- CAPUAN DIPLOMACY
Code:
event = {
	id = 386007 
	country = CPA

name = "New alliances by marriage"
	desc = "."

date = { day = 0 month = january year = 897 }
    	offset = 360
    	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 897 }

action = {
		name = "The closer the better"
		command = { type = DIP which = 1 value = 24 }
		command = {
			trigger = { 
				exists = NAP
				NOT = {
					war = { country = NAP country = CPA }
				} 
			}  
			type = trigger which = 291001 #NAP: New alliances by marriage
		}
	}
	action = {
		name = "The better the closer"
		command = { type = ADM which = 1 value = 24 }
		command = {
			trigger = { 
				exists = SLO
				NOT = {
					war = { country = SLO country = CPA }
				} 
			} 
			type = trigger which = 350005 #SLO: New alliances by marriage
		}
}
text for all event descs with "." in them:

In his attempts to strenghten his position amongst the Lombard princes, count Atenolfo I proposed a marriage to duke Guaimario I of Salerno between his son and Guaimario's daughter. Since the marriage was opposed by Guaimario's wife because proud of her Spoletan kin, Atenolfo went for a dyplomatic marriage with Naples, currently ruled by the ambitious duke Attanasio II, as a way to contain his expansionism policy.

Code:
event = {
	id = 291001 #triggered by CPA_386007 A (897)
	country = NAP

desc = "."

action = {
		name = "Let's protect our back with Capua"
		command = { type = dynastic which = CPA }
		command = { type = relation which = SLO value = -25 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 386008 } #CPA: Capua's most pursued aims
	}
	action = {
		name = "Refuse any relation with Capua"
		command = { type = relation which = CPA value = -25 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 291002 } #NAP: A league with Capua
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 386008 #triggered by NAP_291001 A (897)
	country = CPA

name = "Capua's most pursued aims"
	desc = "With this marriage Capua appeased Naples desires of conquest and found in them a valid ally, in particular in their quest for the expulsion of the Arabs from Garigliano River."

action = {
		name = "Good"
		command = { type = stability value = 1 }
		command = { type = AMD which = 1 value = 24 }
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 350005 #triggered by CPA_386007 B (897)
	country = SLO

desc = "."

action = {
		name = "Capua is a county of ours"
	}
	action = {
		name = "Capua is our closest relative"
		command = { type = dynastic which = CPA }
		command = { type = trigger which = 386009 } #CPA: The Divisio revival [COLOR="#FF0000"]Pan-Lombard ambitions[/COLOR]
	}
}

Code:
event = {
	id = 386009 #triggered by SLO_350005 B (897)
	country = CPA

name = "The Divisio revival"
	desc = "With this marriage Capua rejoined the Salernitan Lombards but not any longer as a gastaldate, rather as an autonomous county since the stipulation of the Radalgisi et Siginulfi Divisio Ducatus Beneventani, earlier in 849."

action = {
		name = "Good"
		command = { type = DIP which = 1 value = 24 }
	}
}

They are not that necessary, but they could be good triggers in the following events, such as NAP allliance with Capua in 903 and SLO (in case, a second) alliance with Capua in 920 to go to war against Byzantium.

EDIT: another important remark is to move the expiration of the marriage between CPA and NAP from 900 to 897. The data are to be found in 888 scenario global data:
Code:
	alliance = {
		id = { type = 6000 id = 508 }
		type = dynasticalliance
		expirydate = { year = [COLOR="#FFFF00"]897[/COLOR] [COLOR="#FF0000"]900[/COLOR] }
		participant = { CPA NAP }
	}

EDIT: removed the "Pan-Lombard ambitions" as it will be used for the CPA-SLO marriage events in the 920s and following wars against Byzantium (pag. 98 of "Before the Normans").

Last edited:
Here is a first chain of events dealing with Garigliano Arabs amended according to previous posts:

903- CAPUA AND THE SARACENS AT GARIGLIANO RIVER

Code:
event = {
    	id = 386010
    	country = CPA

name = "The Saracens of Garigliano River"
   	desc = "."

date = { day = 0 month = january year = 903 }
    	offset = 360
    	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 903 }

action_a = {
        	name = "Ask for a league"
        	trigger = {
            		exists = GTA
           		OR = {
                		exists = AMI
                		exists = NAP
            		}
        	}
        	command = { type = DIP which = 1 value = 60 }
        	command = { type = treasury value = -25 }
       	 	command = { type = relation which = GTA value = -25 }
        	command = { 
			trigger = {
				NOT = { 
					war = { country = CPA country = AMI }
				}
			}
			type = trigger which = 112007 #AMI: A league with Capua
		}
      		command = { 
			trigger = {
				event = 386008 #CPA: Capua's pursued aims
				NOT = { 
					war = { country = CPA country = NAP }
				}
			} 
			type = trigger which = 291003 #NAP: A league with Capua
		}
        	command = { 
            		trigger = {
                		OR = {
                    			event = 386001 #CPA: Atenolf I, prince of Benevento
                    			vassal = { country = CPA country = BEN }
                		}
            		}
            		type = trigger which = 142004 #BEN: A league with Capua
        	}      
    	}
    	action_b = {
       		name = "Act on your own"
        	trigger = {
           		 exists = GTA
        	}
        	command = { type = infra value = -50 }
        	command = { type = revoltrisk which = 24 value = 5 }
    	}
    	action_c = {
       		name = "We'll deal with them later"
       		trigger = {
            		exists = GTA
       		}
        	command = { type = stability value = -2 }
        	command = { type = infra value = -75 }
		command = { type = ADM which = -1 value = 60 }
         	command = { type = sleepevent which = 388000 } #GTA: The Saracen Incursions
    	}
    	action_d = {
        	name = "Deal with them swiflty"
        	trigger = {
            		NOT = { exists = GTA }
        	}
      		command = { type = treasury value = -75 }
       		command = { type = sleepevent which = 386012 } #CPA: The call for Byzantium
        	command = { type = trigger which = 386011 } #CPA: The expulsion of the Aghlabid bands

}
}

In the struggle for power and hegemony in Southern Italy, it was common practice to send for Muslim raiders and invoke them to devastate enemy territories. Some of those raiders would even establish their encampments at the mouths of Garigliano River, on the shores of Thyrrenean Sea, for their incursions and sackings in coastal and inland neighbouring areas, in particular at the expenses of the county of Capua which would have to deal both with them and with the other Campanian counterparts: Gaeta, Naples and Amalfi.

Code:
event = {
	id = 112007 #triggered by CPA_386010 A (903)
	country = AMI

name = "A league with Capua"
	desc = "."

action_a = {
		name = "Help Capua in ousting the Saracens"
		command = { type = infra value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation which = CPA value = 25 }
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "Refuse to help Capua"
		command = {
			trigger = {
				vassal = { country = CPA country = AMI }
			}
			type = breakvassal which = CPA
		}
		command = { type = relation which = CPA value = -50 }
		command = { type = relation which = GTA value = 25 }
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 291003 #triggered by CPA_386010 A (903)
	country = NAP

desc = "."

action_a = {
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "Refuse to help Capua"
		command = {
			trigger = {
				vassal = { country = CPA country = NAP }
			}
		}
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 142004 #triggered by CPA_386010 A (903)
	country = BEN

desc = "."

action_a = {
		command = { type = relation which = NAP value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = AMI value = 25 }
	}
}

Code:
event = {
     	id = 388000
     	trigger = {
         	event = 386010 #CPA: The Saracens of Garigliano River
     	}
     	country = GTA

name = "The Saracen Incursions"
     	desc = "."

date = { day = 0 month = january year = 903 }
     	offset = 10
     	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 903 }

action_a = {
         	name = "We welcomed them, we use them!"
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				vassal = { country = CPA country = GTA }
			}
		}
         	command = { type = treasury value = 50 }
         	command = { type = infra value = -50 }
         	command = { type = DIP which = 2 value = 24 }
		command = { type = relation which = NAP value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = AMI value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = -25 }
     	}
     	action_b = {
        	name = "We don't need them any longer"
		trigger = {
			NOT = { 
				war = { country = GTA country = CPA }
			}
		}
       		command = { type = MIL which = -2 value = 24 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = 25 }
       		command = { type = sleepevent which = 386012 } #CPA: The call for Byzantium
        	command = { type = trigger which = 386011 } #CPA: The expulsion of the Aghlabid bands
     	}
}

903- AHISTORICAL CAPUAN VICTORY OVER THE ARABS
Code:
event = {
	id = 386011 #triggered by CPA_386010 D or by GTA_388000 B (903) - ahistorical
	country = CPA

name = "The expulsion of the Aghlabid bands"
	desc = "."

action = {
		name = "Excellent"
        	command = { type = infra value = 150 }
		command = { type = trade value = 100 }
		command = { type = provincetax which = 502 value = 1 } #Capua
		command = { type = population which = 502 value = 250 } #Capua
		command = { type = trigger which = 112008 } #AMI: The expulsion of the Aghlabid bands
		command = { type = trigger which = 291004 } #NAP: The expulsion of the Aghlabid bands
		command = { type = trigger which = 142005 } #BEN: The expulsion of the Aghlabid bands
		command = { type = trigger which = 305004 } #PAP: The expulsion of the Aghlabid bands
	}
}

Without any Gaetan support, the bands of North African Arabs, established at the mouths of Garigliano River a couple od decades before, were eventually wiped out for the benefit of neighbouring territories which suffered the most of their raids. The access to Rome was now safe as much as the trade route between Campania and Northern Italy.

Code:
event = {
	id = 112008 #triggered by CPA_386011 (903) - ahistorical
	country = AMI

desc = "."

action_a = {
		name = "Excellent"
		command = { type = naval value = 100 }
	}

}
Code:
event = {
	id = 291004 #triggered by CPA_386011 (903) - ahistorical
	country = NAP

desc = "."

action_a = {
		name = "Excellent"
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 142005 #triggered by CPA_386011 (903) - ahistorical
	country = BEN

desc = "."

action_a = {
		name = "Excellent"
		command = { type = population which = 252 value = 250 } #Samnium
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 305004 #triggered by CPA_386011 (903) - ahistorical
	country = PAP

desc = "."

action_a = {
		name = "Excellent"
		command = { type = population which = 518 value = 250 } #Latium
	}
}

As you can see, event CPA_386012 will lead the following sequence of events of 915.

After this, in getting to the wars between CPA-BEN-SLO and BYZ we would also need to deal with Hugues of Provence and the Kingdom of Italy.

EDIT: added war trigger in GTA_388000 action B.

Last edited:
914- CAPUAN INVITATION OF BYZANTIUM TO SOUTH ITALY
Code:
event = {
	id = 386012
	trigger = {
		event = 386010 #CPA: The Saracens of Garigliano River
		NOT = { 
			war = { country = CPA country = BYZ }
			event = 386011  #CPA: The expulsion of the Aghlabid bands
		}	
	}
	country = CPA

name = "The call for Byzantium"
	desc = "."

date = { day = 0 month = january year = 914 }
     	offset = 360
     	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 914 }

action_a = {
		name = "Ask for Byzantine help"
		command = { type = diplomats value = -1 }
		command = { type = relation which = BYZ value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = BEN value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = SLO value = 25 }
		command = { type = relation which = SPL value = 25 }
       		command = { 
            		trigger = {
                		OR = {
                    			event = 386001 #CPA: Atenolf I, prince of Benevento
                    			vassal = { country = CPA country = BEN }
                		}
            		}
            		type = trigger which = 142005 #BEN: The Capuan call to arms
        	}   
		command = { type = trigger which = 154007 }  #BYZ: A military intervention in South Italy
	}	
}

Code:
event = {
	id = 142005 #triggered by CPA_386012 (914)
	country = BEN

name = "The Capuan call to arms"
	desc = "."

action_a = {
	}
}

Code:
event = {
	id = 154007 #triggered by CPA_386012 (914)
	country = BYZ

name = "A military intervention in South Italy"
	desc = "."

action_a = {
		name = "Control of Langobardia is our goal"
		command = {
			trigger = { 
				owned = { province = 251 data = -1 } #Apulia
			} 
			type = INF which = 251 value = 2000 
			command = { type = galleys which = 251 value = 2 }
		}
		command = {
			trigger = { 
				owned = { province = 248 data = -1 } #Lucania
			} 
		}
		command = {
			trigger = { 
				owned = { province = 247 data = -1 } #Bruttium
			} 
			command = { type = galleys which = 247 value = 3 }

}
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "We are not interested in South Italian affairs"
		command = { type = vp value = -2 }
		command = { type = relation which = BEN value = -50 }
		command = { type = relation which = SPL value = -25 }
		command = { type = removecore_claim which = 252 } #Samnium
		command = { type = removecore_claim which = 253 } #Salernum
		command = { type = removecore_claim which = 502 } #Capua
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 291005 }  #NAP: A League against the Arabs
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 350006 }  #SLO: A League against the Arabs
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 305005 }  #PAP: The Christian league against the Arabs
	}
}
Here is the event description for the three events above:

Chasing the Saracens of Garigliano River proved to be harder due to both weakness and unreliability of Capua's allies. The Count of Capua was then forced to ask Byzantium for urgent military support. The Byzantines would use the Capuan call for help as an opportunity to press claims on the Lombard principalities and the semi-independent Byzantine city-states Naples, Amalfi and Gaeta, still considered part of Greater Byzantium.

###########################################

914- FORMING THE COALITION
Code:
event = {
	id = 291005
	country = NAP
	trigger = {
		event = 154007 #BYZ: A military intervention in South Italy
		NOT = { 
			war = { country = NAP country = BYZ }
			war = { country = NAP country = CPA }
		}
	}
	name = "A League against the Arabs"
	desc = "."

offset = 15
     	deathdate = { day = 29 month = july year = 915 }

action_a = {
		name = "Join the coalition"
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "Not interested in crusadelike leagues"
       		command = { type = infra value = -100 }
		command = { type = relation which = BYZ value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = BEN value = -25 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 291006 } #NAP: The Battle of Garigliano
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 350006
	country = SLO
	trigger = {
		NOT = { 
			war = { country = SLO country = BYZ }
			war = { country = SLO country = CPA }
		}
	}
	desc = "."

offset = 20

action_a = {
	}
	action_b = {
       		command = { type = infra value = -100 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 350007 } #SLO: The Battle of Garigliano
	}
}

Code:
event = {
	id = 305005
	country = PAP
	trigger = {
		NOT = { 
			war = { country = PAP country = BYZ }
			war = { country = PAP country = CPA }
			war = { country = PAP country = GTA }
		}
		monarch = 0103012 #Teofilatto (Ioannes X)	
	}
	name = "The Christian league against the Arabs"
	desc = "."

offset = 30

action_a = {
		name = "Buy Gaetan neutrality"
		command = { type = trigger which = 112008 } #AMI: A League against the Arabs
		command = { type = trigger which = 388001 } #GTA: The Gaetan sovereignity
		command = { type = trigger which = 382006 } #SPL: A League against the Arabs	
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "No deal with Gaeta"
		command = { type = infra value = -150 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 386013 } #CPA: The Battle of Garigliano
	}
}

Code:
event = {
	id = 112009 #triggered by PAP_305005 A (914-915)
	country = AMI

desc = "."

action_a = {
		command = { type = merchants value = 1 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 112010 } #AMI: The Battle of Garigliano
	}
	action_b = {
		trigger = {
			NOT = { 
				war = { country = AMI country = BYZ }
				war = { country = AMI country = CPA }
			}
		}
		command = { type = revoltrisk which = 12 value = 5 }
	}

}

Code:
event = {
	id = 388001 #triggered by PAP_305005 A (914-915)
	country = GTA

name = "The Gaetan sovereignity"
	desc = "."

action_a = {
		name = "Assure neutrality"
		command = { type = treasury value = 75 }
       		command = { type = infra value = 100 }
		command = { type = provincetax which = 503 value = 1 } #Gaeta
	}
}

Code:
event = {
	id = 382006 #triggered by PAP_305005 A (914-915)
	country = SPL

desc = "."

action_a = {
		name = "Lead the coalition"
		trigger = {
			NOT = { 
				war = { country = SPL country = BYZ }
				war = { country = SPL country = CPA }
				war = { country = SPL country = PAP }
			}
		}
		command = { type = MIL which = 1 value = 24 }
	}
	action_b = {
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 382007 } #SPL: The Battle of Garigliano
	}
}
text for all event descs with "." in them starting from NAP_291005 below:

The Saracens which established at the mouths of Garigliano Rivers were the scourge of the whole Southern Italy. Originally directed to hit the county of Capua on behalf of her neighbouring rivals, Saracen raids became a real threat for everyone, even for Rome herself. An intervention was planned by Landolfo of Capua-Benevento and the Byzantine Emperor to which the most Campanian forces joined in. Pope Ioannes X would buy Gaeta's neutrality with a grant of land and get the Spoletan support.

EDIT: I have added action triggers to consider eventual wars between coalized countries.

In case, wouldn't we need to increase the time span for the whole sequence with start date in 914 and death date in 920 possibly?

EDIT2: changed event for Byzantium no longer triggering NAP, SLO and PAP events. These three events will have their own triggers and start/death dates.

Last edited:
915 - HISTORICAL CAPUAN VICTORY OVER THE ARABS
Code:
event = {
	id = 386013 
	trigger = {
		event = 386012 #CPA: The call for Byzantium
		event = 388001 #GTA: The Gaetan sovereignity	
	}
	country = CPA

name = "The battle of Garigliano"
	desc = "."

date = { day = 0 month = may year = 915 }
     	offset = 30
     	deathdate = { day = 29 month = august year = 915 }

action = {
		name = "Excellent"
        	command = { type = infra value = 150 }
		command = { type = provincetax which = 502 value = 1 } #Capua
		command = { type = population which = 502 value = 250 } #Capua
		command = { type = trigger which = 112010 } #AMI: The battle of Garigliano
		command = { type = trigger which = 291006 } #NAP: The battle of Garigliano
		command = { type = trigger which = 350007 } #SLO: The battle of Garigliano
		command = { type = trigger which = 142006 } #BEN: The battle of Garigliano
		command = { type = trigger which = 305006 } #PAP: The battle of Garigliano
		command = { type = trigger which = 382007 } #SPL: The battle of Garigliano
		command = { type = trigger which = 154008 } #BYZ: The battle of Garigliano
	}
}

In the spring of 915, a combined force of Capuans, Beneventans, Salernitans and Byzantines took up a position south of the Arab encampment, Papal and Spoletan troops on the north, while the Byzantine fleet guarded the mouth of Garigliano River. After three month's siege the Arabic bands had been wiped out for the benefit of neighbouring territories which suffered the most of their raids. The access to Rome was now safe as much as the trade route between Campania and Northern Italy.

Code:
event = {
	id = 112008 #triggered by CPA_386013 (915)
	country = AMI

desc = "."

action = {
		name = "Excellent"
	}

}
Code:
event = {
	id = 291006 #triggered by CPA_386013 (915)
	country = NAP

desc = "."

action = {
		name = "Excellent"
		command = { type = provincetax which = 501 value = 1 } #Naples (Terra di Lavoro)
		command = { type = population which = 501 value = 250 } #Naples
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 350007 #triggered by CPA_386013 (915)
	country = SLO

desc = "."

action = {
		name = "Excellent"
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 142006 #triggered by CPA_386013 (915)
	country = BEN

desc = "."

action = {
		name = "Excellent"
		command = { type = provincetax which = 252 value = 1 } #Samnium
		command = { type = population which = 252 value = 250 } #Samnium
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 305004 #triggered by CPA_386013 (915)
	country = PAP

desc = "."

action = {
		name = "Excellent"
		command = { type = provincetax which = 518 value = 1 } #Latium
		command = { type = population which = 518 value = 250 } #Latium
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 382007 #triggered by CPA_386013 (915)
	country = SPL

desc = "."

action = {
		name = "Excellent"
		command = { type = population which = 519 value = 250 } #Spoletium
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 154008 #triggered by CPA_386013 (915)
	country = BYZ

desc = "."

action = {
		name = "Excellent"
	}
}

EDIT: added +1 BTV increase for Naples (NAP), Samnium (BEN) and Rome (PAP).

Last edited:
Updating post #169 in DOK main thread.

Here is the (hopely) debugged sequence (I have also changed some descriptions and commands):

ITALY IN YEAR 900 - THE PROVENçAL INTERVENTION

NEW events for TOS and IRA:
Code:
event = {
	id = 371000
	trigger = {
		exists = PRO
		exists = ITA
		ITA = {
			OR = { #all of them are Berengario I of Italy
				monarch = 064500 #ahistorical, in case he ahistorically kept the crown of Italy
				monarch = 064505 #historical, when going back to the throne after the Spoletan Kings
				monarch = 064563 #ahistorical, in case he reconquered Italy as Margrave of Friuli
			}
		}
		NOT = { 
			alliance = { country = ITA country = PRO } 
			war = { country = TOS country = PRO }
		}	
	}
	country = TOS

name = "Berengar's ineptitude"
	desc = "In 900, several Italian magnates including Adalberto, Margrave of Tuscany, dissatisfied with the renewed rule of Berengar, called unto Louis, the young king of Lower Burgundy, to come and take the crown of Italy."

date = { day = 19 month = august year = 900 }
	offset = 10
	deathdate = { day = 19 month = september year = 900 }

action = {
		name = "Send ambassadors to Viennes"
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				vassal = { country = ITA country = TOS }
			}
		}
		command = { type = diplomats which = -1 }
		command = { type = relation which = PRO value = 100 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 322000 }  #PRO: The Kingdom of the Lombards
	}
	action = {
		name = "Show allegiance to Berengar"
		command = { type = ADM which = -2 value = 12 }
		command = { type = revoltrisk which = 24 value = 10 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 322009 }  #PRO: The Kingdom of the Lombards
	}
}

event = {
	id = 226000
	trigger = {
		exists = PRO
		exists = ITA
		ITA = {
			OR = {
				monarch = 064505 #historical, when succeding the Spoletan Kings
				monarch = 064563 #ahistorical, in case he reconquered Italy as Margrave of Friuli
			}
		}
		NOT = { 
			war = { country = IRA country = PRO }
		}
	}
	country = IRA

name = "Berengar's ineptitude"
	desc = "In 900, several Italian magnates including Anscario, Margrave of Ivrea, dissatisfied with the renewed rule of Berengar, called unto Louis, the young king of Lower Burgundy, to come and take the crown of Italy."

date = { day = 19 month = august year = 900 }
	offset = 12
	deathdate = { day = 19 month = september year = 900 }

action = {
		name = "Send ambassadors to Viennes"
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				vassal = { country = ITA country = IRA }
			}
		}
		command = { type = diplomats which = -1 }
		command = { type = trigger which = 322000 }  #PRO: The Kingdom of the Lombards
	}
	action = {
		name = "Show allegiance to Berengar"
		command = { type = ADM which = -2 value = 12 }
		command = { type = revoltrisk which = 24 value = 10 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 322009 }  #PRO: The Kingdom of the Lombards
	}
}

a tweak in this PRO event:

Secusia, Liguria, Ventimiglia and Novara are IRA cores, IRA (Ivrea) should be PRO ally together with TOS:
Code:
event = {
	id = 322000 [COLOR=Yellow]#triggered by TOS_371000 A or IRA_226000 A (900)[/COLOR] 
	[COLOR=Red]trigger = {
		ITA = {
			OR = {
				monarch = 064500 #Berengario I del Friuli
				monarch = 064505 #Berengario I del Friuli, restored
			}
		}
		NOT = { alliance = { country = ITA country = PRO } }
	}[/COLOR] 
	random = no
	country = PRO

desc = "In 900, Italian magnates including the lords of Tuscany and Ivrea, dissatisfied with the renewed rule of Berengar, called unto the young king of Lower Burgundy to come and take the crown of Italy."

[COLOR=Red]date = { day = 0 month = september year = 900 }
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = september year = 900 }[/COLOR]

action = {
		name = "Seize the opportunity"
		[COLOR=Red]command = { type = relation which = TOS value = 100 }[/COLOR]
		command = { type = relation which = ITA value = -200 }
		[COLOR=Red]command = { type = addcore_claim which = 662 } #Secusia
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 664 } #Liguria[/COLOR]
		[COLOR=Red]command = { type = addcore_claim which = 666 } #Novara[/COLOR]
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				ITA = { ai = yes }
			}
			type = war which = ITA
		}
		command = {
			trigger = {
				ITA = { ai = no }
			}
			type = trigger which = 228008 #ITA: Ludovico di Provenza
		}
	}
	action = {
		name = "This is too dangerous"
		command = { type = relation which = TOS value = -50 }
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = relation which = IRA value = -50 }
		command = { type = DIP which = -2 value = 12 }
		command = { type = MIL which = -2 value = 6 }[/COLOR]
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 322001 } #PRO: The taking of Pavia
	}
}

a NEW PRO event in case TOS or IRA aren't independent from ITA:
Code:
event = {
	id = 322009 #(in case PRO_322000 isn't triggered by TOS/IRA events)
	trigger = {
		ITA = {
			OR = {
			}
		}
		NOT = { 
			exists = TOS
			exists = IRA
			event = 322000 #PRO: The Kingdom of the Lombards
		}
	}
	random = no
	country = PRO

desc = "In 900, Italian magnates including the lords of Tuscany and Ivrea, dissatisfied with the renewed rule of Berengar, called unto the young king of Lower Burgundy to come and take the crown of Italy."

date = { day = 20 month = september year = 900 }
	offset = 5
	deathdate = { day = 10 month = october year = 900 }

action = {
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 370001 } #TOS: Berengar's ineptitude
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 226000 } #IRA: Berengar's ineptitude
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				ITA = { ai = yes }
			}
			type = war which = ITA
		}
		command = {
			trigger = {
				ITA = { ai = no }
			}
			type = trigger which = 228008 #ITA: Ludovico di Provenza
		}
	}
	action = {
		command = { type = DIP which = -2 value = 12 }
		command = { type = MIL which = -2 value = 6 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 370001 } #TOS: Berengar's ineptitude
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 226000 } #IRA: Berengar's ineptitude
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 322001 } #PRO: The taking of Pavia
	}
}

still tweaks:
Code:
event = {
	id = 228008 #triggered by [COLOR=Red]PRO_111500 A[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]PRO_322000 A or PRO_322009 A [/COLOR](900)
	random = no
	country = ITA

name = "Ludovico di Provenza"
	desc = "In 900, several Italian magnates including Adalberto of Tuscany and the Margraves of Ivrea, dissatisfied with the renewed rule of Berengar, called unto Louis, the young king of Lower Burgundy, to come and take the crown of Italy."

action = {
		name = "Fight him"
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = setflag which = [Provencal_Claim] }[/COLOR]
		command = { type = relation which = PRO value = -400 }
		command = { type = casusbelli which = PRO value = 1 }
		command = { type = war which = PRO }
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { 
			trigger = { 
				NOT = { exists = TOS }
				owned = { province = 527 data = -1 } #Lucca 
			}
			type = independence which = TOS
		}
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				NOT = { exists = IRA }
				owned = { province = 662 data = -1 } #secusia 
			}
			type = independence which = IRA
		}[/COLOR]
	}
	action = {
		name = "Welcome him [COLOR=Yellow]as the new ruler[/COLOR]"
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 064506 } #Ludovico di Provenza
		command = {
			trigger = { 
				PRO = { ai = yes }
			}
			type = inherit which = PRO
		}
		command = {
			trigger = { 
				PRO = { ai = no }
				[COLOR=Yellow]NOT = { 
					vassal = { country = PRO country = ITA }[/COLOR]
			}
			type = vassal which = PRO
		}
		command = { type = add_countryculture which = burgundian }
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 195 } #Provence
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 196 } #Diois
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 197 } #Viennois
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 661 } #Embrunnais
		command = { type = trigger which = 390001 } #FRL: Ludovico di Provenza
		command = { type = sleepevent which = [COLOR=Red]111501[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]322001[/COLOR] } #PRO: The taking of Pavia
	}
}

NEW Events for TOS and IRA:

Code:
event = {
	id = 371001
	trigger = {
		ITA = { flag = [Provencal_Claim] }
		exists = ITA
		exists = PRO
		NOT = {  
			war = { country = TOS country = PRO }
		}
	}
	country = TOS

name = "The allegiance to the Provencal king"
	desc = "Invited by most of the Magnates, Louis crossed the Alps aiming at the crown of Italy."

date = { day = 0 month = september year = 900 }
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = september year = 900 }

action = {
		name = "Ludovico shall be our King"
		command = { type = giveaccess which = PRO }
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				access = ITA
			}
			type = revokeaccess which = ITA 
		}
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				vassal = { country = ITA country = TOS }
			}
		}
	}
}

event = {
	id = 226001
	trigger = {
		ITA = { flag = [Provencal_Claim] }
		exists = ITA
		exists = PRO
		NOT = {  
			war = { country = IRA country = PRO }
		}
	}
	country = IRA

name = "The allegiance to the Provencal king"
	desc = "Invited by most of the Magnates, Louis crossed the Alps aiming at the crown of Italy."

date = { day = 0 month = september year = 900 }
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = september year = 900 }

action = {
		name = "Ludovico shall be our King"
		command = { type = giveaccess which = PRO }
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				access = ITA
			}
			type = revokeaccess which = ITA 
		}
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				vassal = { country = ITA country = IRA }
			}
		}
	}
}

some tweaks in current PRO, ITA and FRL events:

Code:
event = {
	id = 322001
	trigger = {
		event = 322000 #[COLOR=Yellow]PRO:[/COLOR] The Kingdom of the Lombards
		control = { province = 665 data = -1 } #Aquae
	}
	random = no
	country = PRO

name = "The taking of Pavia"
	desc = "[COLOR=Yellow]Invited by most of the Magnates, Louis crossed the Alps aiming at the crown of Italy.[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Louis III of Provence was crowned king of Italy in Pavia on October 12 900.[/COLOR]"

date = { day = 11 month = october year = 900 }
	offset = 10
	deathdate = { day = 10 month = july year = 905 }

action = {
		name = "We ousted the usurpator"
			ITA = { ai = yes } 
		}[/COLOR]
		command = { type = inherit which = ITA }
	}
	[COLOR=Yellow]action = {
		trigger = { 
			ITA = { ai = no }
			NOT = {
				vassal = { country = ITA country = PRO }
			} 
		} 
		command = { type = vassal which = ITA }[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]#		command = { type =  which =  value =  }[/COLOR]
	}
}

Code:
event = {
	id = 322002
	trigger = {
		event = 322001 #PRO: The taking of Pavia
	}
	random = no
	country = PRO

desc = "[COLOR=Yellow]Louis III of Provence was crowned king of Italy in Pavia on 12th October 900 AD.[/COLOR]"

offset = 10
	deathdate = { day = 20 month = july year = 905 }

action = {
		name = "We are King of Italy"
			NOT = { exists = ITA } 
		}[/COLOR]
		command = { type = flagname which = "" }
		command = { type = country which = ITA }
		command = { type = capital which = 665 } #Aquae
		command = { type = add_countryculture which = lombard }
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 521 } #Pentapolis
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 522 } #Umbria
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 527 } #Parma
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 528 } #Ravenna
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 529 } #Ferrara
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 662 } #Secusia
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 663 } #Ventimiglia
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 664 } #Liguria
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 665 } #Aquae
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 666 } #Novara
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 667 } #Milan
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 668 } #Placentia
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 669 } #Brescia
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 670 } #Mantua
		command = { type = trigger which = 228005 } #ITA: Ludovico di Provenza
	}
	[COLOR=Yellow]action = {
		trigger = { 
			ITA = { ai = no } 
		}
		command = { type = trigger which = 228005 } #ITA: Ludovico di Provenza

}[/COLOR]
}

Code:
event = {
	id = 228005 #triggered by [COLOR=Red]PRO_111502[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]PRO_322002 [/COLOR](900-905)
	random = no
	country = ITA

desc = "[COLOR=Yellow]Louis III of Provence was crowned king of Italy in Pavia on 12th October 900 AD.[/COLOR]"

action = {
		name = "Ok"
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 064506 } #Ludovico di Provenza
		command = { type = independence which = PAP }
		command = { type = independence which = SPL }
		command = { type = independence which = TOS }
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = independence which = IRA }[/COLOR]
		command = { type = trigger which = 390001 } #FRL: Ludovico di Provenza
	}
}

Code:
event = {
	id = 390001 #triggered by ITA_228005 / ITA_228008 B (900-905)
	random = no
	country = FRL

desc = "[COLOR=Yellow]In 900, several Italian magnates including Adalberto of Tuscany and Anscario of Ivrea, dissatisfied with the renewed rule of Berengar, called unto Louis, the young king of Lower Burgundy, to come and take the crown of Italy.[/COLOR]"

action = {
		name = "We'll have our revenge"
		command = { type = breakvassal which = ITA }
		command = { type = relation which = ITA value = -400 }
		command = { type = war which = ITA }
		command = { type = inf which = 676 value = 8000 } #Friuli
		command = { type = cav which = 676 value = 4000 } #Friuli
	}
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 390002
	trigger = {
		event = 390001 #[COLOR=Yellow]FRL: Ludovico di Provenza[/COLOR]
		control = { province = 665 data = -1 } #Aquae
	}
	random = no
	country = FRL

name = "The taking of Pavia"
	desc = "Berengar took Pavia again in July 902 and Louis III had to flee back to Vienne."

offset = 10
	deathdate = { day = 25 month = march year = 924 }

action = {
			ITA = { ai = yes } 
		}[/COLOR]
		command = { type = inherit which = ITA }
	}
	[COLOR=Yellow]action = {
		trigger = { 
			ITA = { ai = no }
			NOT = {
				vassal = { country = ITA country = PRO }
			} 
		} 
		command = { type = vassal which = ITA }
	}[/COLOR]
}
Code:
event = {
	id = 390003
	trigger = {
		event = 390002 #PRO: The taking of Pavia
	}
	random = no
	country = FRL

desc = "[COLOR=Yellow]Berengar retook the Kingdom of Italy. He would then try to strengthen his position by giving concessions and privileges to churches and monasteries and promising military protection to those villages frequently hit by Hungarian raids.[/COLOR]"

offset = 10
	deathdate = { day = 5 month = april year = 924 }

action = {
				NOT = { exists = ITA } 
		}[/COLOR]
		command = { type = flagname which = "" }
		command = { type = country which = ITA }
		command = { type = capital which = 665 } #Aquae
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 521 } #Pentapolis
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 522 } #Umbria
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 527 } #Parma
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 528 } #Ravenna
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 529 } #Ferrara
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 662 } #Secusia
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 663 } #Ventimiglia
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 664 } #Liguria
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 665 } #Aquae
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 666 } #Novara
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 667 } #Milan
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 668 } #Placentia
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 669 } #Brescia
		command = { type = addcore_national which = 670 } #Mantua
		command = { type = trigger which = 228006 } #ITA: Berengario del Friuli
	}
	[COLOR=Yellow]action = {
		trigger = { 
			ITA = { ai = no } 
		}
		command = { type = trigger which = 228006 } #ITA: Berengario del Friuli	

}[/COLOR]
}

Code:
event = {
	id = 228006 #triggered by FRL_390003 (900-924)
	random = no
	country = ITA

name = "Berengario del Friuli"
	desc = "[COLOR=Yellow]Berengar retook the Kingdom of Italy. He would then try to strengthen his position by giving concessions and privileges to churches and monasteries and promising military protection to those villages frequently hit by Hungarian raids.[/COLOR]"

action = {
		name = "Ok"
		command = { type = wakemonarch which = 064507 } #Berengario del Friuli
		command = { type = independence which = PRO }
		command = { type = independence which = PAP }
		command = { type = independence which = SPL }
		command = { type = independence which = TOS }
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = independence which = IRA }[/COLOR]
	}
}

And here a NEW ITA event to restore province RR and give some benefit to Italy under Berengario's rule:
Code:
event = {
	id = 228030 
	trigger = { 
	trigger = { 
		OR = {
			flag = [Feudal_Anarchy]
			flag = [Provencal_Claim]
		}
		OR = { #all of them are Berengario I
			monarch = 064507 #historical, restored after Louis' descent to Italy
		}
		atwar = no
	}
	random = no
	country = ITA

name = "The End of Feudal Anarchy"
	desc = "Earlier the Spoletan Kings, then the King of Germany, lately the King of Provence, it seemed that anyone would aim at the crown of Italy. However Berengario found himself as the only legitimated King to rule over Northern Italy. His vassals paid him the feudal hommage and even the Pope would acknowledge him as Emperor of the Franks. Under his rule, Berengario restored order over Northern Italy by strengthening his position with concessions and privileges to churches and monasteries and building fortresses to protect the cities of the kingdom from the Hungarian incursions."

date = { day = 5 month = august year = 905 }
	offset = 60
	deathdate = { day = 5 month = april year = 924 }

action = {
		name = "Good"
		command = { type = clrflag which = [Feudal_Anarchy] }
		command = { type = clrflag which = [Provencal_Claim] } #all flags removed
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 662 value = -30 } #Secusia
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 666 value = -30 } #Novara
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 665 value = -30 } #Aquae
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 667 value = -30 } #Milan
		command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 668 value = -30 } #Placentia
		command = { type = fortress which = 671 value = 1 } #Verona (Berengar's residence)
		command = { type = fortress which = 669 value = 1 } #Brescia (the church of Bergamo)
		command = { type = provincetax which = 527 value = 1 } #Parma (the church of Reggio)
		command = { type = provincetax which = 668 value = 1 } #Placentia (the monastery of Bobbio)
		command = { type = relation which = IRA value = 150 }
		command = { type = relation which = FRL value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation which = TOS value = 150 }
		command = { type = relation which = SPL value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = 50 }
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				vassal = { country = GER country = ITA }
			}
			type = breakvassal which = GER 
		}
		command = { type = stability value = 6 }
		command = { type = relation which = GER value = 100 }
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				FRL = { ai = no }
				NOT = {
					vassal = { country = FRL country = ITA }
				}
			}
			type = vassal which = FRL
		}
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				FRL = { ai = yes } 
			}
			type = inherit which = FRL 
		}
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				NOT = {
					vassal = { country = IRA country = ITA }
				}
			}
			type = vassal which = IRA 
		}
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				NOT = {
					vassal = { country = TOS country = ITA }
				}
			}
			type = vassal which = TOS 
		}
	}
}

here a tweak in the trigger of this PRO event checking all possible monarchs:
Code:
event = {
	id = 153000
	trigger = {
		ITA = {
			[COLOR=Red]OR = {
				monarch = 064507 #Berengario I del Friuli, restored again
			}[/COLOR]
			[COLOR=Yellow]OR = { 	#all of them are Berengario I
				monarch = 064507 #historical, restored after Louis' descent to Italy
			}[/COLOR]
		}
		NOT = { alliance = { country = ITA country = BUR } }
	}
	random = no
	country = BUR

desc = ""

date = { day = 0 month = january year = 922 }
	offset = 360
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 922 }

action = {
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 671 } #Verona
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 672 } #Trent
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 674 } #Padua
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 676 } #Friuli
		command = { type = addcore_claim which = 677 } #Istria
		command = { 
			trigger = { 
				ITA = { ai = yes }
			}
			type = war which = ITA
		}
		command = {
			trigger = {
				ITA = { ai = no }
			}
			type = trigger which = 228009 #ITA: Rodolfo di Borgogna
		}
	}
	action = {
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 153003 } #BUR: The taking of Pavia
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 228017 } #ITA: The death of Berengario
	}
}
this event will be one of the starting points for the future sequence about "the Burgundian intervention in Italy"... ;-)

Last edited:
Bordic, I have now implemented these three posts, and I will have a look at post #34 and following tomorrow. I am afraid everything else will have to wait for after 0.5. Let not that refrain you from posting the sequences you had in mind here or in the North African thread, because there will be a 0.51.

Bordic, the events of posts #34 to #37 all look good, I will implement them. I have only one question. I seem to remember that we talked about several more provinces that should get a +1 BTV, now only Capua gets it, why not the others?