• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter II - ... It's a Soldier's World!

033SicilyProvencepeace.jpg
Apologies for the length of time between updates, but at least we start with fresh peace in Europe!

034NavarreMoldavia.jpg
Castille swallows Navarre and we make another royal marriage amongst the Orthodox powers. Our legitimacy is great, but our prestige is only boosted by war, a somewhat hazardous situation in which to find ourselves.

035BrittanyNaxos.jpg
We seize the island of Naxos, even as France seizes lands from Brittany in a peace accord. The war with Venice is going well.

036Greeknavalvictories.jpg
OUr navy is proven to be superior to all Christian navies harboured along the Mediterranean coast. Unfortunately, there are two or three Muslim navies that are still significantly more powerful than us.

037Thomasisborn.jpg
On 18th July 1358, Ioannes's only son, named Thomas, is born. He will grow up to be a sly, deceptive young man, though of somewhat sickly health.

038Royalmarriages.jpg
A bundle of Catholic royal marriages are arranged, though only two of them actually go ahead. Clearly the Aragonese are wary of Byzantine influence in the rest of the peninsula!

039BattleofCrete.jpg
Emperor Ioannes leads an ultimately successful invasion of Crete, one of his few major successes in his reign.

040Marriagealliance.jpg
Byzantium strengthens its relations with its Orthodox neighbours. Ordinarily, they would be candidates for involuntary inclusion into the Empire, but with the Muslim menace so strong, we cannot afford to divert our attention from the eastern border.

041VeniceAustriapeace.jpg
Finally, in July 1359, there is peace with the European powers, with the despots of Corfu and Naxos being forced to surrender to us and Venice relinquishing the key cities of Athens and Heraklion. After we simultaneously acknowledge Austria's military superiority in the war, we can at least rest assured that the horrors of the Fourth Crusade are now behind us.

042Creterenamed.jpg
Naturally, we then decree that the island of Crete will now be spelt with a K. Clearly Ioannes is consumed with Greek patriotism and an obsession with orthography!

043Byzantium1360.jpg

The extent of the Byzantine Empire, after four years of near-continuous war.

044Europe1360.jpg

The political border of Western Europe at this time.

045Religion1360.jpg

The religions of the Middle East.

046AsiaMinor1360.jpg

The countries of Asia Minor, including the Serbian provinces that by rights belong to us.

047Warsin1360.jpg
Come summer 1360 and Ioannes launches another triple war. The Ottomans are attacking the Knights Hospitaller and France and her vassals are wailing on Provence.

048Admiralsconcerned.jpg
Our admirals express concern over Ioannes's ever-risky war strategy and press for increased naval funding. The Emperor duly ignores them.

049VictoriesinMuglaandtheAegean.jpg
We begin with some initial victories, perhaps confirming Ioannes's foolish pride, but this does not stop people starting to whisper behind his back that he is the reincarnation of Menoitios (literally "doomed might"), the Titan in Greek mythology associated with violent anger, rash action, and human mortality.

050CyprusTrebizondmarriages.jpg
Emissaries are sent to Cyprus and Trebizond, again with mixed results. If there is one thing that Ioannes is more obsessed with than reclaiming lost territory, it's marrying half of Europe!

The results of the latest wars of John the Rash (as the western world terms him) will follow in the next chapter!

Palaeologus_Dynasty.png

Ioannes V Menoitios
Anno Domini 1360

Ιωαννης το πέμπτο Μενοιτιος

Autocrat and Emperor of the Romans
Strategos-Autokrator of Konstantinoupolis​

Last edited:
I love this so far! Excellent progress! Go Byzantium!

Good 'Italian job' on Venice! Your fleet has done you a great service

It is fun seeing the difference between Death and Taxes and MEIOU from the Byzantine perspective. I am working on a MEIOU Byz AAR and the career paths of our emperor are the same, yet different.

Chapter III - War Isn't Easy...

051AssaultonMentese.jpg
After a successful siege of Mugla, the Byzantine southern army (a mere 5,000 men) are recalled to defend our newly-acquired island of Naxos from invading infidels.

052Karamandefeated.jpg
After success in Karaman, we manage to end hostilities with Oman and Karaman. Ioannes may be rash and quick to anger, but he's not completely insane!

053TheMuslimpowers.jpg
The Muslim powers of the 1360s. Almost all our knowledge of Asia comes solely from our tangles in Asia Minor.

055Mentesepeace.jpg
Mentese is forced to surrender the province of Mugla and temporarily cease all diplomacy with the other Muslim powers. Because of Milanese assistance in Turkey however, we are unable to annex them entirely.

056HammeringEretrids.jpg
Our war with the minor Eretnid dynasty is proceeding admirably and two-thirds of their land now lies in our control.

057AcceptingTurkish.jpg
Come the new year of 1362 and it seems that we now have very many Turks living in the Empire and Ioannes declares the Turkish populace to be full members of the Byzantine Empire. In a time of near-constant war, this helps to sustain morale and promote further dreams of Imperial restoration.

058NajdWhitePeace.jpg
Another white peace is signed with powers we have never met and have no wish to do so, this time Najd.

059MarriagesandMilitaryAccess.jpg
May 1362 is a good month for diplomacy, with two successful marriages and two accepted requests for military access.

060Eretridsenvassalled.jpg
The Eretnids are finally brought to heel and forced to pay homage to Emperor Ioannes as the first Byzantine vassal of the new age.

061Noblesdemandprivileges.jpg
The Byzantine lords clamour for fresh power and new lands after the Eretnids' inclusion in the Empire and Ioannes, almost entirely dependent on their good will at this point, accepts without demur.

062Morewhitepeace.jpg
Bosnia offers us a royal marriage and we accept, along with peace with even more powers that we couldn't care less about.

063Foolishdisasterbeckons.jpg
The Knights Hospitaller call for our help against both the Ottomans and the Mamluks. Naturally, we tell them that we are completely unable to help them at this time. We then renew hostilities against Candar, now they are no longer being beaten up by their co-religionists.

064Muglaconverted.jpg
Kastamonu is seized and Mugla converts to the true faith - Easter 1363 is a joyous time for the Romans!

065Moremilitaryaccess.jpg
More military access in Asia Minor is arranged for our benefit. We need every diplomatic edge we can get!

066Candartaken.jpg
Without our help, the Knights are swiftly defeated by the Ottomans, but shortly thereafter Candar is defeated and forcibly added to the Roman Empire.

067MarriagetoWallachia.jpg
We accept another royal marriage from Eastern Europe. This will delay our expansion plans in the West, but the eastern infidels are managing to do that by themselves!

054NamechangeandOrthodox.jpg
In excellent news, Sinopi is returned to the true faith in late 1363. Ioannes continues his systematic purge of Turko-Semitic names, replacing them with traditional Greek names. All's well that ends well, so they say.

Palaeologus_Dynasty.png

Ioannes V Menoitios
Anno Domini 1363

Last edited:
I love it! Great progress!

Chapter IV - ...But It Sure Is Hard Enough

068Ziyyanidsbecomeaproblem.jpg
We start in summer 1364 with bad news - the Ziyyanids of northern Africa have conquered Rhodes and thrown out the Knights Hospitaller. Another Christian stronghold has fallen to the Muslim dogs.

069Warandwhitepeace.jpg
We finally manage to fob off the last of the "couldn't care less" brigade and are instantly called into Siena and Modena's war against our ally Milan. Fortunately, just eleven days later, the war is called off on both fronts.

070Monetaryreforms.jpg
After severe economic reforms, a talented merchant arrives in the capital and is quickly recruited to be our most skilled adviser yet. He will allow us to mint less and develop microscopic amounts of research more than we would otherwise.

071Jalayridsrompahead.jpg
The Jalayrids finish kicking the ever-loving crap out of their co-religionists, this time Haasa and Mentese, and leave the field open for us. Unfortunately, the Ottomans spring to their defence, so to speak, by including both of them in their sphere of influence.

072Moremadnessbeckons.jpg
Armenia calls for our help against the Mamluks and their African allies. This is another war we cannot afford and it is not helping our prestige at all!

073Kretanrevolutionaries.jpg
Cretan revolutionaries arise, presumably preferring Venetian rule to ours, but they are swiftly put down two weeks later with extreme prejudice.

074OttomansmaketroubleinTurkey.jpg
The Ottomans circulate a gripping new set of scrolls - The Spy Who Came In From The Turks - and as a result, Candari nationalists rise up in revolt in our newly Greek-themed province of Sinopi.

075OttomansmeddleinGreece.jpg
The Turkish spy thrillers are doing so well that the Ottomans try again and Molokan heretics rise up in Macedonia, though quite what Russian milk-drinkers are doing in Byzantium is anyone's business!

076LandTech5.jpg
In September 1365, our land technology increases to the amazing level of five and, later that month, England annexes Connacht. I think that my home country is doing better than we are!

077MoreArmeniantroubles.jpg
At the end of the year, Armenia is forced to cede their middle province to the Mamluks and they are left alone once again. If we were capable of kicking Muslim arse, we would most certainly be doing so!

078Centralisationissue.jpg
Four months later, we run into the always popular destabilising influences when Ioannes attempts to centralise greater power under his control. This just about sums up his rule - grabbing for greater power leads to unforeseen circumstances and we are weaker for it, at least in the short term.

079TradeTech5.jpg
Fortunately, three months later, our trade knowledge increases and we restabilise after the hasty centralisation of the spring.

080AtwarwithMorocco.jpg
I don't remember declaring war on the Moroccans or they on me, but here we are anyway. Quite why I went into the AAR business with my memory for irrelevant details, I'll never know! Ah, yes! For some bizarre reason, Morocco ends up at war with Moldavia. Ioannes promptly marches his troops through Bulgaria to raise the Arab sieges and keep them out of Eastern Europe. He doesn't want Muslims on both sides of the Black Sea!

081Merchantwindfall.jpg
We're not too proud to grab the money and run, even if we do like to pretend to patron the arts as any true emperor should. It's a good sum of money, but disappointingly small somehow.

082SinopiandBulgariabattles.jpg
After sporadic fighting on both sides of the Black Sea nonetheless, we come out pretty successfully for a change. This is why carpet-sieging a country with only a couple of thousand men per province is a bad idea, folks!

083Ottomansdeclarewar.jpg
We accept white peace from Morocco in May 1367 and the Ottomans, never letting an opportunity go to waste, declare war on us just five weeks later. They have more troops, better technology and better leaders. This is going to be painful...

084ArmeniaandTrebizondally.jpg
We ally once more with Armenia and Trebizond. We are unlikely to be able to help them militarily, but we say yes anyway in the vain hope that they will be able to help us instead.

085OttomanpeaceandIoannesdies.jpg
After two years of bloody fighting and the Ottomans besieging our capital no less, they agree to a white peace. Ioannes, never able to do anything in moderation, promptly dies off eight months later at the tender age of 38, having been on the throne for three-quarters of his life. His son, Thomas, is just eleven years and a half years old and thus a regency council is formed to take care of his interests whilst he finishes growing up.

086IoannesV.jpg

Palaeologus_Dynasty.png

Ioannes V Menoitios
(b. 18.06.1332, r. 15.06.1341 - 22.03.1370)

Last edited:
Excellent progress! John can die knowing that the Empire is strong once again!

I'm afraid there won't be an update tonight, so the State of the Realm will be tomorrow night instead. :(

I am in awe at how quickly you consolidated your hold on Greece. :blink:

Well, Byzan's game is doing far better, comparatively speaking, and this isn't MMU by any stretch of imagination, but yes, it was very hairy at many points!

Fantastic! Subscribed!

I personally felt that around the 1360 mark, the point by which you had recovered Greece in the south, would have been a very favourable position for the Romans, IRL. At the time, the Ottomans were still dealing with infighting and the other Turk emirates, and before the Gallipoli earthquake had never really been able to fight the Romans properly over the Marmara - if the Earthquake had been avoided and the Morea recovered so strongly IRL, this does seem very plausible - the Venetians were not known for their military skill on the land, and a few lucky victories at sea like your own could easily have secured the Crusader States, which were not actually looked after by the West in our history.

I do feel that a strong Emperor, as portrayed here, might have been better served attacking Serbia to rejoin the two halves of the Greek empire, since attacking the petty sultanates removed an enemy from the Ottomans, who would have in turn seized the Roman assets in Anatolia as soon as they took them from the sultanates. Again, an Empire in a state like this, with newfound energy and less civil war, could have taken on the Serbs and beaten them, or even the Bulgars; the promise of ruling the lands taken from the enemy could have persuaded the nobles and Palaiologoi to toe the line.

I might just make a nuisance of myself and offer a historian's view of events each time you post - good game, great mod, can't wait for the next post!

Intermission - State of the Realm
The Twenty-Second of March, in the Year of the World, Six Thousand Eight Hundred and Seventy Eight*

IoannesVPalaiologos.jpg

Ioannes V Palaiologos, called
Menoitios, in a posthumous portrait commissioned by his son Thomas

AI1Mediterranean1370.jpg

The extent of our empire in 1370. Armenia and Georgia have been crippled and the Knights destroyed.

AI2Religion1370.jpg

The influence of Islam and Christianity in Eastern Europe and Asia Minor.

AI3Technology1370.jpg

Our technology is horrendous, especially compared to that of our greatest rival.

AI4Mediterraneandiplomacy1370.jpg

The extent of our cores and diplomatic relations - Milan are our faithful allies and the Eretnids are our vassals.

AI5Byzantinehappiness1370.jpg

Our revolt risk could certainly be worse, so that at least is a small blessing.

AI6TradeInfluence1370.jpg

Konstantinoupolis's trade is flourishing, despite our many enemies, though our sphere of influence is nil.

AI7OverviewA.jpg

Our prestige is at least positive, but young Thomas is under a regency council.

AI8OverviewB.jpg

The economy's not great, but it is at least ticking over. Our sliders are pretty good, though.

AI9OverviewC.jpg

Moving swiftly on...

AI10OverviewD.jpg

The Orthodox Church hates me, clearly. I haven't felt able to cancel the mission yet, but we can't complete it currently.

AI11.jpg

The Mamluks have double our soldiers and a slightly better fleet. The Ottomans just have a large technological advantage.

AI12.jpg

Nothing terrily exciting here, but as I mentioned in my Burgundian AAR, I'm a fan of pie-charts!

AI13.jpg

At least my forces are highly centralised and mobile. I can respond very quickly to any single threat.

AI14.jpg

I still don't know how those percentages never add up to 100%, despite there being no other spending!

AI15.jpg

Konstantinoupolis is definitely doing well, but the other Orthodox realms are slowly falling by the wayside.

* As dated in the Byzantine Creation Era (Annus Mundi), which began in BC 5508 with the formation of the world.

hey what about ancent education, ancient urbanism... are they still teaching aristotle and platon at schools? ar town and cites get their gladiator arenas? semi-modern roads?

how about more "bread and circuses"? :)

In my own death or taxes game, I always end up getting back Greece, Anatolia and the Coast of mediteranean see up to Suez. I make agrresive settelement policy to make the empire greek once more while waiting to gain core on the province with a port on the red sea and then, agressive colonisation in Orient!!!! First objectif, Ceylon, then colonise indonesia, taiwan, invading Mallaca and the various little sultanate and trying to get a foot hold in India, working hard to stop any faction of uniting her.

Great update. Very well laid out state of the realm. Congrats!