• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fürstbischof

General
17 Badges
Jan 25, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 200k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
Expanded hotkeys for AOD

Many gamers already know that they can mod many details of their Paradox games to their liking. I was happy once I'd discovered that I'd easily add more hotkeys. Therefore this is the first modification which I'm going to make once I've installed a new Paradox game: add more hotkeys. For games which use the Europa engine this can be done in just a few minutes: simply open the buttons.txt which can be found in the config sub-directory. The scheme below is the one which I'm using for AOD. If you want to change some of these hotkeys simply search for the 'shortcut = ' entries and change them to your liking.

Overview:
F4 = View Intelligence
F5 = View Research
F6 = View Production
F7 = View Trade
F8 = View Diplomacy
F9 = View Ledger
ESC = Back to main map
F10 = Open Game Menu
F1 while viewing Int/Res/Prod/Trade/Diplo screens = View VPs
These keys are only functional while viewing the main map:
h = View provinces
F1 = View army
F2 = View navy
F3 = View air force
c = View battles
b = View forcepool
n = View normal map
p = View political map
w = View weather map
e = View economic map
s = View supply map
r = View revolt risk map
, = View regions
. = View areas
d = View diplomatical map
v = View VP map
q = Open pop-up window for trade & diplomatic offers
+ = Zoom in
- = Zoom out
m = View movement arrows
space = Pause the game
These keys are hard-coded:
a = Build AA
c = Build coastal fort
i = Build factory
n = Build infrastructure
g = Merge units
u = Load/Unload selected units
, = Toggle through your units
. = Toggle through your units
F11 = Make screenshot
F12 = Open/Close the console
Pause = Pause the game
Pos1 = Center map on your capital
Ctrl+ = increase game speed
Ctrl- = decrease game speed
< = Toggle on/off message box
Hard-coded shortcuts added by AOD:
o = Build airbase
p = Build port
r = Build radar
Hard-coded shortcut removed by AOD:
l = Build fort

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Download links

The expanded buttons.txt file is now bundled with my expanded armynames/navynames/airnames mod and my revised and expanded random leaders mod.

FileFactory

Installation

Simply extract the content of the .rar file in your game's main directory. To allow for an easier installation (and also removal) of the mod I've included JSGME (JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler), which is a mod-enabler. Start the JSGME.exe, mark the mod (hotkeys+ OR armynames XXL OR RandomLeaders) and then click on the arrow button in the center, which is pointing to the right side. Then the installation of this mod is being done. De-installing is done by clicking the arrow button which is pointing in the opposite direction.

For more information re: installing my mods and using JSGME check the AOD_mods_readme file.

Last edited:
Would you mind reuploading the file? Link is dead again.

It seems that rapidshare has finally deleted my account. Well, tbh I won't miss them. For quite a long time my account wasn't fully accessible for me: it had an irritating blinking effect of 2 pages alternating every second. :(

The good news are: my mini-mods (names XXL & the buttons.txt file) are also included in my E3 map mod.

Maybe on Dropbox or Google Drive, as those are less subject to random deletion.

Thanks, might be worth checking. I'm indeed looking for a reliable & free file hoster. Even imageshack wants to get paid today...

Last edited:
The good news are: my mini-mods (names XXL & the buttons.txt file) are also included in my E3 map mod.

I was gonna download your E3 mod, but its gamefront link is dead as well (they say they have the file but it errors out once you actually try to download it).

I was gonna download your E3 mod, but its gamefront link is dead as well (they say they have the file but it errors out once you actually try to download it).

Seems to be a temporary issue. Now it's working.

Last edited:
Update:

I've moved my mods to filefactory. (link in post #2 has been updated)

Well there are some issues with the keys in released patches 1.11 and 1.12.

the * - View movement arrows doesn't work, the left Shift key doesn't work, and some have said both of their Shift keys don't.

So my issue is that the * for movement arrows didn't work and I reassigned the F10 key from (the default) Menu to View the movement arrows. Also, If I want to CAPITALIZE while naming units, I have to use the Left Shift always.

So here's an example of the change I did to the buttons.txt file to reassign the F10 to View the movement arrows:
Code:
press = {
    id = "BUTTON_SHOW_ARROWS"
    background = "showArrows.bmp"
    bitmap = "empty.bmp"
    lower = "BUTTON_SHOW_ARROWS_IN_DRO"
    upper = "BUTTON_SHOW_ARROWS_IN_IRO"
    shortcut = F10
    }
Hope this helps. If not just paste your buttons.txt in here and then let me know what key(s) you want to reassign. I check the forum almost everyday.

Thanks for reporting these issues. They've also repercussions for this mod which is in need of an update.

I'm doing some more tests during the next days and will then upload a revised version. Since my unitnames XXL mod has seen some changes of the past years I'm tempted to include it but there might be some issues with fonts used by the game engine. For VIP:R I've found an old fonts mod which does solve some of its issues but that might not work with the HOI engine. Testing will show if a stripped down version will work.

Maybe I'll even include a revised and expanded version of my randomleaders file, just another by-product of my earlier work on VIP:R, which offers some improvements compared to the vanilla version.

I've found an old fonts mod which does solve some of its issues but that might not work with the HOI engine. Testing will show if a stripped down version will work.

Fürstbischof,
Please let us know if it fixes some of the keyboard errors. The 1.13 release is currently being worked and we can put this into it if it helps.

Fürstbischof,
Please let us know if it fixes some of the keyboard errors. The 1.13 release is currently being worked and we can put this into it if it helps.
Nope, the fonts mod which had been made by Tyrel for Victoria will of course not solve any issues related to keyboard errors.

It changes only the appearance of ingame texts and supports more 'unusual' characters than the vanilla fonts files. This is of great importance if you want to see correct names for air, army and naval units in the game:
"División Aérea N.ª 1", "Cuartel General del 1° Ejército", "1. divize 'Jánošík'" or "1º División Naval" or even ship names like "Vlado Ćetković", "Snažni", "Gökçedağ", "Ejder Başlı".
Several of these will have to be simplified to make it in the game. In the absence of a program which allows me to change the fonts files we'll have to stick with the characters already supported by the game engine.

Is it a full mode or just a few font files?
Tyrel's mod is a gfx mod which includes 6 files (arial8, arial10, lafayette30, lafayette36, proforma12, proformab12) which replace the vanilla font files of Victoria.

I'm planning to include Tyrels mod in my still unfinished Ricky naval mod - if that ever gets completed... His changes to the font files made texts easier to read while also supporting some additional characters.

Its usability for AOD on the other hand is very restricted because AOD uses 10 font files (arial8, arial10, Eurostilecond10, Eurostilecond12, Eurostilecond14, Eurostilecond14bold, Eurostilecond14c, Eurostilecond18bold, Eurostilecond20bold, Eurostilecond24bold) of which only two are also used by Victoria. Mixing his font files with the vanilla font files is likely to cause a mess with all ingame texts.

It would be nice to be able to use the 1° for the "st" in Spanish. Does it work with the Polish and Portuguese characters?
According to my earlier notes his font files support these characters:
ä ë ï ö ü
Ä Ë Ï Ö Ü

á é í ó ú
Á É Í Ó Ú

à è ì ò ù
À È Ì Ò Ù

â ê î ô û
Â Ê Î Ô Û
ß
Å å Æ æ Ø ø
ñ Ñ
ã Ã ç Ç
Þ
š Š
ý

So, yes, it does support
1º División Naval
2° División Naval
División Aérea N.ª 1
which it makes it very interesting for an expanded unitnames mod. :cool:

AOD currently only supports the Western European Windows-1252.

When I do the Russian text, I do it by using the Cyrillic , Windows-1251, post the Russian text, then convert/change to Western European Windows-1250.
I can not tell from your earlier post yesterday, but does it support Polish?