• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(407199)

First Lieutenant
4 Badges
Nov 7, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
As-Salamu `alaykumu, and welcome to my first AAR ever. This will mostly be a learning experience for myself - and hopefully an enjoyable read for you.

I am starting the game in 1399 as Oman, sharing a land border with Yemen and Najd, and immediately at war with the Timurids, with four thousand available troops, and some very decent slider settings. I've played Oman a couple times before, and I am growing increasingly fond of the nation. This AAR is intended to pursue a more narrative format, with short stories at the beginning of each chapter, followed by a more historical style as I describe what has happened.

Rules of this AAR:
- No Savescumming
- No Cheating

I'll be altering the personalities of the various Omani sultans according to their ADM / DIP / MIL skills, a great idea I've shamelessly stolen from Ashantai's The Grey Eminence AAR.

Feedback and suggestions welcome.
*Anyone even a little familiar with Arabic language and culture: Terminology, names, places, customs etc. - particularly with respect to Oman, please let me know via PM. I'd love to have someone around to bounce questions off of.

A note on updates:
I'll try to update as often as possible, but with school and work, fitting in time for some gaming can get a bit tough.

Salamun ‘Alaykum - An Oman Death and Taxes AAR
Contents

[0] Rules and Notes

[1] There Is No Bone In The Tongue
[2] My brother and I over my cousin. My cousin and I over the stranger.
[3] Instead Of Putting Kohl In Her Eyes, He Blinded Her

Last edited:
There Is No Bone In The Tongue
Talk is cheap

Y3863.jpg

5th of Safar, 802 (AH)
7th of October, 1399 (Julian)
Royal Palace, Muscat

Khalfan ibn Saleh al-Dadi paused a moment, readjusting his dishdasha unconsciously as the thought of what was to come raced through his mind.

"If it was going to rain, we would have seen the clouds by now." His older compatriot spoke, the words were meant to calm the young man as the pair continued down the polished sunlit corridor of sandstone, one side open to the sea. Khalfan turned to him, his long black hair blowing slightly in the open breeze and his jaw clenched with worry and thought, "We've both heard what happened in Nizwa; even if the tales are exaggerated it does not bode well for the character of this Sultan. He cannot be our only option!"

"We have no other options." Tariq returned morosely, "What armies do we have? What men to lead them?" That last question served with a hard stare. "If Watban Sa'ud catches word of us approaching the Sultan, we may not even have a home to return to."

"But-"

"-But nothing, you fool. You already risk much, and neither I nor my daughter need you gallivanting around playing prince and having your head loped off. I spoke with Imam Yosef yesterday, and he assured us an ear with the Sultan and the assistance we seek. This meeting is a formality."

Khalfan kept his mouth shut, he knew when arguing would be pointless. The persecution of their people and religion, the heresy before God by Malik Watban Sa'ud al-Najd would not go unpunished, but it should be done by their people, not a foreigner. The two continued in uneasy silence until they reached their destination, the way blocked by two large and ornately carved wooden doors, the relief containing religious scripture and equestrian iconography.

Imam Tariq ibn Jad al-Ahsa proceeded onwards, pushing the doors open with a smile he didn't feel upon his face, the room they were entering was well lit and finely decorated to the point of opulence; a masterfully woven carpet sat upon the floor, and atop it was an exquisitely carved table and chairs in which sat the porcine Sultan Mazhum Nabhan and the Imam, Yosef.

Upon seeing the pair of travelers, the Sultan and Imam immediately rose, the customary greeting coming unbidden as they touched noses and shook hands with Khalfan and Tariq, "Peace be upon you".

"God's blessings be upon you." came the response as the four took their seats. Khalfan watched with piqued curiosity as Imam Yosef began pouring tea from an oddly glazed and painted pot. The Sultan took quick notice, and began speaking with no small sense of pride, "Ahh my boy, you like the pottery? My merchants sailed very far for very long to the east for this. The wonders and riches out there are incalculable, I value the set nearly as much as my prize horse."

Before Khalfan could speak, Tariq interrupted, "Indeed, have I heard of these eastern foreigners, and that the horses of Sultan Mazhum Nabhan are unmatchable in health and vigor, of such pure breeding that they can be traced to the very stables of Muhammad himself. Perhaps we could discuss purchasing some of them at a later date, however." The words brought a smile to the jowls upon Mazhum's face, "Delightful! Now let us get down to this other business of yours...."

---

It was long after sunset when Khalfan and Tariq had left the palace. Mazhum Nabhan stood at an open veranda, staring out at the moon and starlit sea, reflecting quietly on what had transpired. Yosef stood a scant few feet away.

The silence was broken as Yosef spoke, "Sultan, we have three thousand infantry with another thousand elite cavalry. Give me a year and I will raise four thousand more. We must strike now, decisively. Isma'il I Rasulid will not intervene in this conflict, the people of Aden have their own problems to contend with, and Malik Ahmad Hawashim has already declared his support. God is with us."

"That is not what troubles my thoughts, Yosef. I cannot keep my promise to Imam Tariq, or his son-in-law. I will not allow Liwa province to become an independent state right on my very border! The sheer audacity... They ask me, not to save their lives, but to give them a kingdom! When this war is over, and their part has been played, I must remove them before their tyranny spreads any further, for the good of my people. God wills it."

"God wills it." the Imam replied solemnly, bowing slightly before slipping back from the veranda, and leaving the Sultan to mull over the coming war.

A quick look at things in the beginning of 1399

The year of 1399 proved an interesting and auspicious one for the nation of Oman; Mazhum Nabhan the most moral of Sultans brought about swift changes just prior to his war with Najd, enforcing new reforms and centralizing additional power under the state through new political stations while confiscating and securing the resources of free men and minor nobles alike in the outer provinces. This of course, was of issue to those who lost power, prestige or holdings to the Sultan, and with a war all but officially declared, the Sultan was placed in a most precarious position as particularists led by Makhzum Nasser arose in the northern province of Qawasim, selfishly intending revocation from the Sultan and Omani people.

Oman's First Royal Army was quickly dispatched to deal with the rebellion while the Sultan personally oversaw the recruitment and training of another thousand elite cavalrymen in Muscat. By the end of November, Makhzum Nasser, grizzled though he was, had already been soundly defeated once, the stragglers of his army retreating as quickly as they could into the province of Suhar, where they maintained some tenuous support. The Omani army gave no respite and the particularists were fully defeated within the span of another month as their army was surrounded, trapped and massacred in the battle of al-Tarif.

By this time, the war against Najd was in full swing. The Malik of Hedjaz, Ahmad Hawashim, was already clashing with the armies of Najd in their bordering provinces and territories, putting up a serious fight despite being outnumbered. However, just before Oman's troops could begin the assault in earnest from the east, the Sultan's worst fear became realized. Yemen joined the war, in assistance of his enemies. The Royal Army was quickly divided, with a token force continuing their assault against Najd's eastern provinces, while the bulk of the army moved south, linking up with another thousand recently trained cavalrymen in the province of Nizwa; prepared to move either northwest against Najd, or southwest against Yemen. Another thousand strong regiment of infantry moved southwards to occupy the Yeman province of Mahra, along the Sea of Oman.

The Arabian Peninsula as it erupts into violence and bloodshed,

By the beginning of the following year, the situation on the Arabian peninsula had quickly spiraled into total war. Malik Ahmad Hawashim of Hedjaz had soundly defeated Malik Watban Sa'ud of Najd's armies in the field, but had been unable to decisively annihilate them, leaving the stragglers free to re-orient and re-group. Meanwhile an estimated four-thousand strong Yemen army was spotted moving northwards from Najran province into Hedjaz's territory along the Red Sea coastline. The situation was dire for the Oman-Hedjaz alliance. Realizing the likely cost of the war, and with the urging of Imam Yosef, the Sultan of Oman began excessive minting to pay for the new soldiers and armies he would soon be in desperate need of.

Imam Yosef saw immediately the need of Oman's armies to take the field in one direction or another, and in his great wisdom and insight, convinced the Sultan Mahzum Nabhan of Oman to finally commit to the war fully. Pressing the attack north and taking the opposing garrisons by surprise, the Oman Royal Army quickly occupied all of Malik Ahmad's provinces along the Persian gulf, and sent the Malik's demoralized armies reeling into the interior to lick their wounds. However, while the land battles were a resounding success for Oman, the naval battle was another matter entirely. In support of the royal army in the gulf, the Oman fleet (Some might find it hard to call it a fleet, as it consisted of a single Carrack, the Masirah and militarized merchantman, the Tux at Masirah) was trapped and engaged by the slightly larger Yemen fleet.

As the two navies pirouted, engaged, disengaged and generally made hell for each other in the gulf, Malik Ahmad of Hedjaz made a surprising counter-attack against the Yemen forces to his south, having quickly conscripted several thousand additional soldiers into his army, they nearly equaled the Yemen force in strength. Though they had fought hard battles in the east, the people of Hedjaz were not going to prove mere pushovers to their southern neighbours.

As if to compound Sultan Mahzum Nabhan's troubles, his recently passed reforms came to be another thorn in his side. Though the reforms benefit the administration of the country and helped keep the royal coffers full, more than a few people were less than pleased by the rights and property they were stripped of and the combination of these reforms, the recent massacre in Nizwa, the annihilation of the particularist army in Suhar (who still held some support among locals in the outer provinces) and the preoccupation of the Royal Army with the war, caused the minor grumblings among some of the people of Oman to flare up and threaten yet another uprising for the Sultan to deal with.

The Sultan must make a decision: Defeat a rebellion in the midst of a war, or concede some of his power and allow greater freedom among the people of Oman

Once again, it was the Imam's wise council that saved the day. Though the Sultan was furious at the prospect of giving up any power to the ingrateful peasantry and nobles whom he was already fighting to protect. Had the situation abroad been a little more peaceful and a little less full of violence, whatever revolt occurred would have likely been struck down with an iron fist by the Sultan's army, no matter the advice of Imam Yosef. The concessions were granted, with gnashed teeth.

Following this, it became apparent that the army of Malik Watban Sa'ud of Najd had once again regained their strength, and were quickly marching to relieve the besieged Capital in Qatar province, outnumbering the locally stationed forces almost three to one. A situation that would not have come about if the Sultan had ordered his troops to pursue and annihilate their foe.

Imam Yosef, realizing that the Sultan's capabilities as a general were proving inadequate, to the point that the Sultan even refused to enter the field of battle and command troops, immediately issued the promotion of one of the best and brightest of the Oman military officers, Ya'rub Issah. Though this would prove to be a turning point decision for the Oman military, it was not done in time to save the army in Qatar, who were forced to retreat from the province and consolidate to the south with the additional troops stationed there.

Malik Watban Sa'ud of Najd nearly struck a crippling blow to the Oman military at this critical junction in the war. Having driven a significant portion of the military out of Qatar and into Beni Yas province, it was only the quick action of Ya'rub Issah and several thousand mercenaries that saved the Royal Army from complete and utter destruction and turned a defeat into a near Phyrric victory. Both the military forces of Najd and Oman were low on reserves, however the battle in Beni Yas placed the tempo back in Oman's hands, and Ya'rub Issah proved to have no intention of allowing Malik Watban's forces to retreat yet again and so, as the Malik's army attempted to consolidate back into Qatar province, Emir Ya'rub Issah's cavalry forces ran them down to the man.

By August of 1400 (Dhu al-Hijjah, 802 AH), nothing was left to defend the provinces of Najd from the Omani military.

Another (surprising!) victory for Oman came a scant few months later, as the Oman fleet, though outnumbered, managed to outmaneuver and defeat the Yemen fleet in the Gulf, sending them scurrying back to port and capturing one small ship in turn. Meanwhile, with Najd completely occupied and Yemen's military soundly beaten by Hedjaz in the west, the Liberation of Liwa by Oman was drawing to a close, a resounding success for the two allied nations.

Political instability, the benefits of a long and drawn out conflict.

Of course, nothing is ever so easy. As the end of the war loomed on the horizon the vultures, political and otherwise, began showing their unseemly hides. Noblemen and their serfs, Imams and their flocks, Merchantmen and their money, all quickly began throwing their clout in Oman's political arena, fighting over the soon-to-be-acquired scraps of land, influence and assets. Thankfully the instability never flared up into significant revolts or rebellions.

Though the war was all but finished by late 1402, mopping up the Yemen military and occupying the state took another two years. Time well spent divying up the spoils of war. With the occupation of Najd complete the annexation of the state followed quickly, along with the very public execution of Malik Watban Sa'ud for crimes against God and the Shiite people of Liwa. For taking part in the war, Yemen was forced to convert to the Shiite faith with concession of two of their easternmost provinces to Oman.

Though they played their own part in helping the war along, Khalfan ibn Saleh al-Dadi and Imam Tariq ibn Jad al-Ahsa were summarily executed and their families exiled by the Sultan, though rumors abound that Khalfan managed to escape the Sultan's men and some other noblemen had been killed in his place. The executions caused outrage among the people of Liwa and Beni Yas, who had assumed the Sultan would keep to his word of freeing the states to their own. Support for revolt was high among the newly acquired provinces, particularly within these two.

The annexation and demands of Sultan Mahzum Nabhan, in addition to the executions of Khalfan and Tariq shocked much of the Muslim world. What had otherwise been an admirable war with an admirable goal was turned on its face by the actions of the Sultan and his retainers. Those kings who had been watching from the sidelines began to take very careful notice of this Sultan of Oman.

The state of Oman in September of 1404. (Rabi' al-awwal, 807 AH)

Last edited:
Good luck! This looks very interesting.

What is savescumming?

It's an old roguelike term. Basically, you save the game constantly and if something bad happens, you reload a previous save and try again. The end result is that nothing truly bad ever happens to you.

Roguelikes like Nethack were very very prone to random chance ending your life, so some people would savescum to make things easier on themselves. It's not necessarily bad, it can be great for a new player to get a feel for the game, but if you're more experienced, it'll be looked down on.

My brother and I over my cousin. My cousin and I over the stranger.
Family matters.

13th of Rabi al-Awwal, 807 (AH)
19th of September, 1404 (Julian)

Bahrain

The early morning dawned clear and warm, with a gentle breeze rolling in from the gulf to the east. Marhoon glanced at the tumult of people, horses, camels and other beasts surrounding him and his brother. Today was a special day, the marriage of the Sultan's cousin to a daughter of Malik Zayid al-Said of Al-Haasa. The two rode upon a pair of chestnut-brown Arabian horses, their saddles simple, but artistically decorated.

"There are so many people here."Assim spoke over the cacophony of noises surrounding them - tents being pitched, wares being sold. "Hassid told me the Ayatollah of Persia sent an entourage from across the gulf to attend."

"Hassid says a lot of things, you know how he embellishes his tales, perhaps he'll tell us again of the snake woman he saw in Sohar. Why would the Ayatollah risk anything like that in the middle of a crisis such as theirs? I do not think he speaks the truth on this." Marhoon's stomach growled softly; the day was young and he had yet to enjoy a proper breakfast. A young girl selling dates in front of a newly erected tent caught his eye, her silk biraan a striking color of blue, embroidered in silver and gold flower motif's.

"If anything, right now is the perfect time-"

"Hold on a moment, as much as I love talking politics with my dear brother, I need something to eat." Marhoon pulled his horse near the girl, slowing it to a walk. "Welcome!" he greeted with a smile, pulling himself off the horse near her.

"Two welcomes!" she replied, returning with a smile of her own and brushing a loose strand of black hair from her face. Her hand covered in patterns and spirals of henna. "How do you do this morning?"

"Praise be to god! My brother and I have not yet had breakfast, and a long journey ahead of us yet." Marhoon nodded towards the basket of dates beside the girl, plucking one from the top of the pile, dancing it atop his fingers. "Are you selling these?"

Assim rolled his eyes. His brother could hardly resist a beautiful girl. Or food. Turning his horse around, he began surveying the area, looking for anything of particular interest. The sun was getting higher in the sky, and the people around him busier in preparation for the upcoming shows and race. Out to the east he could see the sails from a score of dhow on the water; fishermen and merchants. A larger ship was also at sea, which he knew to be the Masirah, the pride of the Omani fleet.

Hassid's words came back to Assim as his mind wandered, the Persian Ayatollah, sending a personal entourage... what could possibly bring them across the gulf? Considering what had been heard of the situation to the north and east, how the Khanate was buckling under mass revolts and the newly established Persian theocracy was swiftly consolidating their power along the coast...

Assim's thoughts were abruptly interrupted by a date smacking him in the cheek. "Good catch!" Marhoon laughed, "But look! You've wasted one of my dates. Are you going to buy me another?" Marhoon left off with a grin as he began remounting his horse.

Assim returned with only a sharp stare at his brother, he hadn't the patience to deal with his foolish antics this morning.

"Oh don't be like that Assim, you need to have some fun once in a while. Maybe if you hadn't been focusing so much on the sea, you'd have heard me. Here, take some of the dates." Marhoon offered the small bag to his brother as the two once again began riding to their destination. "Why are you so interested in who does what with the Sultan anyways? We're here for the archery tournament, not politics. I don't want a part of that, not anymore."

"Those politics you hold in such disdain determine the fate of the people here, Marhoon. What if a Khanate army marched on Nizwa this time next year, un-apposed? Or the Mamluks? Knowing what is happening in the world is important. Knowing where to go and where to be is important. I wish you'd understand that."

"I'm tired of you and your worries! Always you have us running from place to place, city to city. I've traveled half the world already! Assim, this place is good, the people are good. Stop thinking about it and just enjoy yourself!"

Assim replied with pursed lips. He knew better than to argue any further. More and more it was getting harder to keep his brother with him. Each time they stopped at a place Marhoon took a liking to, the arguments would start. The only thing preventing him from settling down was money, and Hassid and Assim's insistence that Marhoon keep traveling with them to see the wonders of the world. This tournament was a chance to do that, but Assim knew - if they won, Marhoon would use his share to settle down. If they lost, there was no option for Assim to travel East, to the lands of wonder, where beasts the size of a home with arms like a snake lived. To India.

To lose a brother, and win your dreams; or to lose your dreams and keep your brother. Assim sighed.

With the quick annexation of such large swathes of territory on the Arabian peninsula, Sultan Mahzum Nabhan's thirst for power and prestige were only marginally sated. In an effort to consolidate the territory he had swiftly taken from Najd and Yemen, the Sultan began a series of diplomatic maneuvers with his northern neighbours to help ensure future allies, should the need arise. A marriage between the Sultanate of Oman and the Sheikhdom of Haasa was cemented and with them, military access rights to Hassa territory for the Omani army and navy. A step forward in soliciting assistance from Ayatollah Aga Muhammad of Persia to the north, which bloomed into an alliance between the two nations during the marriage ceremony held in Bahrain. Persia needed assistance against the Timurids, and Oman was in a position to help them. The Jalayarid Khanate had yet to be bargained with, but should the talks prove fruitful, Oman would have an overland path to Persian territory.

It did not take long for word of these diplomatic deals to reach the Timurid Khan. The peace treaty struck with Oman five years ago had drawn to a close, and the Khan wasted no time in declaring war. Though wracked with internal strife, the Timurids were not going down without fighting.

To the west, yet another war had sparked. The Mamluk Sheikhdom began pursuing a long-standing feud with Hedjaz - Malik al-Nasr Faraj Burji sending well over ten thousand troops southward along the coastline, swiftly occupying the provinces of Tabouk and Medina. Pressures on Oman were increasing on all sides. The Malik of Hedjaz needed Oman intervention and assistance in the west, the Persians wanted it in the north, and Yemen remained a potential troublemaker in the south. Though it made strategic sense in the long run to assist Hedjaz, Sultan Mahzum Nabhan was abhorrent to the idea. The Mamluks could easily crush his military with sheer numbers, much like they were presently crushing Hedjaz. A war with them and the Timurids at the same time, along with the already war-weary populations... Some might call it cowardice, others cautious and conservative, but the Sultan had decided, and his will be done. Hedjaz would go it alone against the might of the Mamluks, unless and until it became apparent that Oman could join the war without risking everything.

With the matter on the Mamluks decided, and deals brokered with the Jalayarids to open their territory for passage to Oman's military, the royal army was quickly mobilized and sent along the gulf coast with all haste to relieve the Persian military in Dehkord, where four thousand Persian infantry were staring down an entire Timurid tumen and auxiliaries. The Oman army arrived in late April, too slow to assist in the opening days of the fighting, but with a six thousand strong army, and good exploitation of the terrain by the Persian general Isma'il Daei, the combined Persian and Omani forces decimated the Timurids, driving the tattered remains of their army into the foothills and plains of nearby Khuzestan.

This always happens to the good ones.

Yet, even with the success to the north, fate did not shine on Mahzum Nabhan. His son, only a year of age, whom clerics and imams all around the Arabian peninsula had claimed to be blessed by God, had fallen deathly ill. The Sultan, though showing a lack of faith to some, emptied what remained of the national coffers in his desperation to save his son, calling for those trained in medicine to see the young prince back to health. Whether by will of God, or the ministrations of the healers, none could say, but the illness soon passed, and with it, one more terror in the Sultan's life.

However, with the coffers emptied the Sultan had little with which to pay his armies. Loans and repayments were drawn up from many of Oman's richest merchants and nobles. The available funds of Oman were significantly bolstered, but it was beginning to place economic strain on the nation. Already inflation was rising at an unsustainable pace. As if sensing this looming instability, a rebellion in the province of Beni Yas soon reared its head, the people, led by the charismatic cleric Abd al-Aziz Al Sabah demanded their independence from Oman. With few troops in Oman territory able to disperse the rebellion, the royal army was recalled from Persia to deal with the issue. Arriving in early September, the rebellion was quickly put down, and their charismatic leader put to death.

In light of the troubles involved with moving the Oman army back and forth along the coastline, Ya'rub Issah, Oman's famed general, advised that the force remain stationed in Qawasim, crossing the strait of Hormuz into Persia as necessary. Though it risked the army being cut off if an opposing naval power defeated Oman's navy, to those in favour of the idea, it struck a good balance of risk and reward. Besides, diplomatic effort had already been expended to ensure travel along the gulf coast, if the army ever did get cut off, they would still be able to move freely.

It did not take long for the Timurid navy to test the mettle of Oman. Nearly as soon as the Oman army arrived in Qawasim did the Timurids likewise set sail for the strait. The two navies soon locked in battle for control of the important waters. In the west, the war between Hedjaz and the Mamluks had already drawn to a close - with the utter destruction of Hedjaz's military, and the annexation of their northernmost province. To the east, a new kingdom had formed - the Sultanate of Baluchistan, clawing their territory from the grips of the Timurids. To the south, reports of another rebellion, plainly incited and supported by Yemen soon reached the Sultan's ears, and the royal army was once again ordered to march and quell it with all haste.

As things smoothed out in the war against the Timurids, internal religious discussion and arguments were sparked. Several of the imams, Yosef included, were demanding a new house of worship be constructed, and extra taxes levied on those living in Oman who did not share the faith. The Sultan had no wish to instigate further troubles or issues within his provinces, and despite the insistence that these decisions would reduce strife, not increase them, Mahzum Nabhan remained rigid on his decision.

On the military front, things were calming down, though the war continued, the Timurids did not pose a significant threat to Persia or Oman, and little fighting was in actual need. The Sultan was content to leave his army in Qawasim while Persia bore the brunt of the fighting. At least, everywhere except at sea, however the Sultanate of Baluchistan had brought their own navy to bear - the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and though there was no official alliance between the two nations, they worked together to finally eliminate what was left of the Timurid naval presence in the gulf.

The Sultan's decision to refrain from enacting further religious reforms, or the construction of a new house of worship did not sit well with the religious leaders throughout Oman, some came nearly to calling it outright heresy. The arguments for and against had quickly spiraled out of control, the Sultan and those who supported him still unwilling to budge on the issue. While the response from the religious groups in Oman remained fairly unanimous. Though they did not take up arms, the bureaucracy the clerics controlled ground to a standstill as they made life as difficult as possible for the Sultan and his governors. Instability quickly spread throughout Oman, and though ways of mending the bureaucracy without giving in to the clerics were drawn up, it would be months, perhaps years, before the nation fully recovered.

As is wont to happen during such instability within a nation, rebels began exploding out of the crevices and cracks of Oman.

With the expansion of Oman's navy using the newly acquired Timurid ships, as well as the costs of maintaining the military and paying interest on loans taken, it was becoming increasingly apparent that from an economic standpoint, Oman was in dire need of someone dedicated to handling these issues. If there was one thing the Sultan knew well, it was money. Searching far and wide, a personal advisor was sought; someone whom the Sultan could be certain to trust with the economic matters of his nation, particularly in regards to the mint and inflation of currency.

Yet, despite the many issues plaguing the nation of Oman, advancements continued to be made. The Sultan, familiar as he was with the merchants of Muscat and elsewhere, sought to increase their, and by virtue of association his, profits. Promoting the appeal of merchant trading and adventures, seeking new lands, new wonders and new trade routes, a program to boost the Omani economy via trade began.

Last edited:
My brother and I over my cousin. My cousin and I over the stranger.
The importance of family
Reserved for the second chapter.

I have to say, Im impressed. Few know that saying which is still so common on the lips of folks from our region. Are you an Arab or just well read into the culture? Mashallah

I have to say, Im impressed. Few know that saying which is still so common on the lips of folks from our region. Are you an Arab or just well read into the culture? Mashallah
Well read on the culture? Nah. Reading on the culture? Sure. Eager to learn? Definitely.

I've still got plenty to learn about history in general, nevermind the cultures out there, and this is one way to do it. To be honest, it wasn't until recently - just a few months ago when someone introduced me to EUIII - that I even realized what I was missing out on.

Needless to say, I have tons of catching up to do. :p

Last edited: