• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(74553)

Corporal
Apr 16, 2007
Evening, have just received HOI3 Collection and everything looks pretty cool, but I've no idea what's going on when it comes to my divisions etc.

Is there a good guide somewhere that introduces the main differences between HOI2 and 3? I've played a hell of a lot of HOI2 and now I've got individual divisions attached to random HQ "units" that I can't combine to form corps?

Terribly confused!!!!

Each Headquarter can have x amount attached to it.

Initially a Division can have a max of 4 brigades attached. There is a tech tree that allows that to grow to 5.

A corps can have up to 5 Divisions ( of any size) attached to it.

An Army can have up to 5 things attached. either 5 corps, 5 Divisions or a combination of the two.

An Army Group can also have 5 attached. Again a combination of Army, corps and Division. Max 5.

I don't know that a theater has a limit.

Each headquarter has a button to attach or detach from higher headquarters. You make new headquarters from the lower level units. To make a Corps Hqs you use the button on a Division. To make an Army you use a Corps Hqs, to make an Army Group you use an Army. To make a new Theater you detach an Army Group from any Theater and then create the new theater. Inside the theater hqs you will find a button to click to add provinces to the controlled area.

Air groups and naval Task forces can be attached to headquarters and are separate from the number allowed for land forces. Most people attach these at either Army Group or Theater level.

Each level of Headquarters has a different main function. It is in the rule book. To receive the Benefits of a Hqs one must be in the radio range of that specific hqs.

Opps forgot, support brigades have no frontage. A Division must have at least one brigade with frontage or it will not fight but retreat as soon as attacked by a proper division. Hqs brigades are zero frontage.

There are a multitude of threads that go into very great detail on the number crunching regarding division design. A search of the forum would gleen you far more viable info than you'd get from specific replies to this thread.

Also search out info on:
Frontage
Stacking
Organization (the green bar denoting endurance of a combat unit)
OOB
HQ bonuses
Attack Delay.

The big adjustment is Frontage. That's a whole new thing to the HOI setup.

Stacking
Organization (the green bar denoting endurance of a combat unit)
These two shouldn't be needed, they work just like HoI2 (with the minor exception that you can/need to spend point into officers to boost Org over the line instead of just researching doctrines).

Evening, have just received HOI3 Collection and everything looks pretty cool, but I've no idea what's going on when it comes to my divisions etc.

Is there a good guide somewhere that introduces the main differences between HOI2 and 3? I've played a hell of a lot of HOI2 and now I've got individual divisions attached to random HQ "units" that I can't combine to form corps?

Terribly confused!!!!

Here are a few HOI3 Wiki links to help guide you:

1) A top down explanation of the HQ Command Structure and how to use it
http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Command_organization_strategy

2) A basic Division building guide
http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Division_building

3) Explanation of how to use Generals and their 'Leader' Traits in the HQ hierarchy command tree and for placing in command of land divisions, air wings and fleets.
http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Leader_traits

Hope that helps, but I didn't play HOI2 much, I reverted back to HOI1 until I got into HOI3. So I'm not sure about a good guide for your specific transition, but understand that the HQ units encompass very important aspects of HOI3 + expansion versions and heavily discussed and debated on the forums. Also, please bear in mind that some of the information in the wiki (and on the forums) is wrong or may not be correct with your version of the game and then there are special mods out too that are different. So be careful with the 'advice' you receive.

These two shouldn't be needed, they work just like HoI2 (with the minor exception that you can/need to spend point into officers to boost Org over the line instead of just researching doctrines).

I included both those because there's issues, stuff and things that impact org in HOI3 that are unique, such as the officer pool you mentioned.

I include the stacking along with frontage because that was a confusal point for my ownself. I kept getting the two issues confused in the beginning. The stacking also points indirectly at the OOB since the Theater HQ has an impact.

I figured it's better to add the whole kabootle rather than leave gaps. Besides, reading up on any of those issues here on the forum is very likely to lead to threads that wander into other interesting and impactful issues, since no thread of any length here stays fully on topic.