• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(12270)

Corporal
Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I'm interested in knowing about multiplayer conventions in the HoI series, and particularly AoD.

How is the game normally played in, say, two player games when it comes to pausing and real time mechanics?

What I mean is, is the game normally played real time with no pausing (horror, definitely won't buy or atleast play MP) real time with pausing allowed freely (constant pausing on both sides, choppy gameplay, have to have a book or something handy), real time with only scheduled pauses allowed (still a reaction game in operations, faster reactions let you move and react faster - don't like the idea) or hands-off during real time with scheduled pauses where all ordering takes place? (Sounds good to me but won't the AI factions muck it up by acting in the period you aren't supposed to give orders in? Can you take control of all belligerents on your side to prevent this?).

So, let me know, as I've shied off from HoI since HoI I and its bad AI (I know it's better know but still....or is it good enough that you really won't miss a human? Which mod is the best? I read that WiF for HoI 2 might have it...)

in multiplayer the engine can't really handle anything above normal speed. sometimes not even normal is stable.
in peace time we used to go on "below normal" with no pausing (oc there are exceptions for ex. if s1 has to go to toilette)
in war we never go faster than "below normal" but in major operations we used to go on "slow" in extrem cases for ex. start of barbarossa we even used to go on "very slow"
it means u can make in peace time about 2months/hour, in war about 1month/hour. so to play a '36 scen to '44-'46 it can take a total of 100 game hours! we play on weekly or a daily basis depending on the availablity of participating players.

opinions are shared, someone prefer aod others prefer darkest hour. someone like the iron cross mod others play with vanilla aod... there are a lot of topics about this

are you sure about this ? Ive played 3-4 AoD games with two friends of mine & despite fastening up the game up to fastest speed for a month or two the game didnt stop working.

In one of the games, we even loaded up a game where events were used since we were adding a newbie player in the game and wanted him to last a bit longer than a month .

I did however notice the game performance gets allot better (especialy after some time ; bombings in 41-42 etc) ) if you have game log disabled.

the only thing ive noticed is that the game sometimes somehow can mix up my units formations after sucessfull load up of the game .

It depends on the performance of the computers really. Especially the raw CPU speed. I used to play with friends too, and while some of us had rather slow machines, crashes were common and the game often went out of synchronization, leading to various issues. Now that everybody upgraded to top-level computers, it is possible to play with almost no crashes and at a high speed.

Which mod is the best? I read that WiF for HoI 2 might have it...)
Depends on what you're looking for, really... There are a lot of options available, depending on the game you take as a base (AoD, DH, ARM)... For AoD CORE is probably the biggest one, and aims at making the game as historical as possible, for starters.