• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I understand such a situation may occur, but I'm still feeling wary about this. Besides, does the Constitution not grant athe President the power of executive order?

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

I understand such a situation may occur, but I'm still feeling wary about this. Besides, does the Constitution not grant athe President the power of executive order?

It does, but he is still willing to seek the advice and consent of the senate whenever possible. I think that is to be applauded and supported, don't you?

Senator Phillips, while I respect preparedness, don't you think you exaggerate the threat of the Germans? Our country is the fairest and mightiest on this earth, and no opponent can realistically hope to be marching on the White House. The Germans would be fools to attempt an invasion of the Continental United States!

~Senator Sarah Quentin O'Hanahan, D-OR

We may be a great nation, but do you think by refusing to break isolationism, we are in any situation to break the Nazi's, that is my question.

- Senator Mary Philipps (D-CA)

(OOC: HIGH-FIVE, FEMALE SENATORS!)

It does, but he is still willing to seek the advice and consent of the senate whenever possible. I think that is to be applauded and supported, don't you?

Hm, I'll promise you this. If you can convince me in a private discussion, I may change my vote. I'm still not properly convinced yet.

(Don't forget my Senator is a woman too!)

We may be a great nation, but do you think by refusing to break isolationism, we are in any situation to break the Nazi's, that is my question.

- Senator Mary Philipps (D-CA)

(OOC: HIGH-FIVE, FEMALE SENATORS!)

"Senator, just because we are isolationist does not mean we have to be weak! The people of America do not deserve to be thrust into a destabilizing war, one started by Europeans over European greed, especially not at such a vulnerable moment!"

~Senator Sarah Quentin O'Hanahan, D-OR

((OOC: *High five.* West coast Democrats to boot, although I'm not acting very donkey in my character so far! I'm a disgrace to my home state!))

((OOC: Mary's not even a democrat. She was part of the Communist Party until 1938 (after the Purges) when she denounced Stalin's authority.))

General MacArthur, I submit my application for transfer to your command. Place me as you see fit.

signed,
Lt. General Joseph Stilwell

(I'll join in on the fun)

General Stillwell,

I'm pleased to see that you responded so promptly. If you could follow me into my office, we can discuss your eventual assignment.

- MacArthur

((I'll PM you once I've decided the exact composition of the fronts. At present, I'm looking at establishing fronts in Africa and Scandinavia, assuming Congress approves, so let me know if one/neither of those appeals to you.))

((also, now I am back, is it still possible to amend the second half of 1940 towards my plans or will I have to wait for 1941's budgetary plans? I do want to change some divisions in the OOBs and that takes time to move them across the nation))

((Chimina - If you want, you can go ahead and change my budget plans, though I've already added the requisite divisions to the queue. If you want, I'll send you the budget plans.))

New poll:

Stab in the back
Aye: 7
Nay: 1

Emergency voting act
Aye: 6
Nay: 2

((I don't have HOI3, so what exactly Stab in the Back entails for us? I would like to know before voting))

((Check the screenshot out for specifics, but it decreases neutrality while simultaneously increasing IC and manpower for a brief period. Less neutrality = more freedom of action to change laws and enact future decisions.))

Just to be clear, for those confused about the Emergency Voting Act; it's intended strictly to make sure we get the peacetime updates finished in a reasonable time. It will not be applied to any budgetary bills or anything fundamental (like joining a faction). It will be used only for in-game decisions.

Last edited:
Alright, now that some of my advisors painted a better picture, I vote Aye on the Emergency Voting Act.

(Since you gave me that guarantee, I feel more comfortable now.)

Alright, now that some of my advisors painted a better picture, I vote Aye on the Emergency Voting Act.

(Since you gave me that guarantee, I feel more comfortable now.)

I appreciate your support, Senator.

President Roosevelt

((Above post edited for new totals.))

((Check the screenshot out for specifics, but it decreases neutrality while simultaneously increasing IC and manpower for a brief period. Less neutrality = more freedom of action to change laws and enact future decisions.))

Just to be clear, for those confused about the Emergency Voting Act; it's intended strictly to make sure we get the peacetime updates finished in a reasonable time. It will not be applied to any budgetary bills or anything fundamental (like joining a faction). It will be used only for in-game decisions.

((Ok, I just got a little confused on the Emergency Voting Act, I thought that was the result if passed. Not a new interactive rule you wanted to pass for quicker progression of peacetime gameplay))

Senator Combs votes Aye on in response to Italy's dastardly attack on France and Aye to Emergency Voting Act!

Stab in the back
Aye: 8

Emergency voting act
Aye: 7

Italy's cowardly backstabbing of France is an international disgrace, and so I vote Aye for our response, and also vote Aye to the Emergency Voting Act.

Additionally, though I am disappointed that the Senate has once more chosen isolation, given the closeness of the vote, I believe we should begin discussing strategy in the event that we do go to war. Would any Senator be interested in co-sponsoring a bill (in the next session, of course) that establishes priorities for our commanders in the event of war?

- Senator Stephen McCarthy (D-TX)

Honored Members of the Senate Committee on Defense,

Operating on the assumption that we will eventually intervene in the European war on the Allied side, I have divided our projected area of operations into three sectors, with an Army Group Commander holding responsibility for each. I will leave the nomination of the commanding officers for these sectors to you; that said, Lt. Gen. Stillwell has already volunteered his services, so bear in mind that we currently have one position open (barring a further division of the theater).

Northern Command: This Army Group will be responsible for the British Isles, Scandinavia, northern France, the Low Countries, Germany, and Poland.
Southern Command: This Army Group will be responsible for North Africa, Iberia, southern France, Italy, and the Balkans.

- General Douglas A. MacArthur,
Commander, U.S. Army Atlantic Headquarters

((I'm still looking for commanders for the Atlantic Theater. If you want a slot, just let me know which slot and general you want to take; I can (and probably will) eventually divide these commands further if I can find enough commanders to do so. Genbrad, let me know which slot you want ASAP.))

Mr. McCarthy, I may be interested in such a bill. Maybe should consult the Secretary of War and the Chiefs of Staff as well?

((I'd sign up, but I've never played HOI3.))

General Macarthur, I would be honored to take command of the northern area of responsibility. If approved I would like to see to my forces as soon as possible and implement training immediately.

Signed General Stilwell

Stab in the back
Aye: 9

Emergency voting act
Aye: 8

Voting is closed. Both acts are signed into law.

((Tom, what did you have in mind as far as formal mechanics for choosing your commanders? I was under the impression you could simply pick your own, given input from the other Chiefs and SecWar. Does anybody know, legally, at what rank the Senate has to confirm your appointments? I know the modern day JCS has to be confirmed by the Senate, but I thought that was it.))

I'll play some more tonight; hopefully, barring any other decisions, I'll have an update tonight or tomorrow. ;)

Mr. McCarthy, I may be interested in such a bill. Maybe should consult the Secretary of War and the Chiefs of Staff as well?

((I'd sign up, but I've never played HOI3.))

Senator Sinclaire,

I'll start planning the basics of the bill, and should have a draft ready for your review in a day or two. I'll ensure that the Chiefs and the Secretary of War receive a copy.

- McCarthy

((Waiting on the next save game before I plan war strategy.))

General Macarthur, I would be honored to take command of the northern area of responsibility. If approved I would like to see to my forces as soon as possible and implement training immediately.

Signed General Stilwell

General Stillwell,

Your initiative is commendable, but without the latest readiness reports, we'll be unable to make usable plans. Once we reach 1941, and Congress decides on its grand strategy in the event of war, we'll begin discussing plans for combat operations.

- MacArthur

((Once the next save game is up, we'll start planning actual operations.))

((Tom, what did you have in mind as far as formal mechanics for choosing your commanders? I was under the impression you could simply pick your own, given input from the other Chiefs and SecWar. Does anybody know, legally, at what rank the Senate has to confirm your appointments? I know the modern day JCS has to be confirmed by the Senate, but I thought that was it.))

((Theoretically, since all officers are technically promoted with the assumed consent of the Senate, the Senate could choose to reject my appointment - it'd be impractical (as it would basically spark a massive turf war between the President and the Senate) and inefficient (since Congress could just sack me instead). That said, for all practical purposes, I can choose whoever I want as my AG commanders - presently, I'm just "asking the Senate" for recommendations (i.e. volunteers) to fill the position, since we're one short.))

((That's fair enough, Tom.))

Ladies and gentlemen of the Senate, we have received some terrible news this day, July 30, 1940. France has surrendered to Germany, creating an independent Vichy Regime. The British are begging for our help, offering the use of their naval bases for some outdated destroyers. In addition, I would like to authorize a basic level of mobilization for our economy.

destroyersforbases.jpg

economiclawschange.jpg

I already have a full list of projects that we could use the additional productive capabilities on. That being said, if any Senators or military officials wish to weigh in on other potential uses, I am more than willing to listen.

President Roosevelt
--------------------------------
More voting, yay! :D

Destroyers for bases, it seems to me, falls under the provisions of EVA, so five positive responses with zero negative responses will get it passed. A law change is more substantive, so we'll take as much time as we need for that.

So, vote Aye or Nay on Destroyers for Bases and Basic Economic Mobilization.

Voting deadline is Monday at 10 PM CST (-6 GMT).

Last edited:
Senators
It is a great tragedy that these two acts have been made into law, why do we continue to interfere in this foreign war?
On the matter of Destroyers for Base and Basic Economic Mobilization I vote Nay, if I cannot do anything else to prevent the senate from joining this foreign war then I will vote against any measure which brings us closer to war, my conscious remains clear. We do not want a war nor is it our war, I appeal to any peace minded senator to vote with me on this.

Regards
Senator Peter Dawson, MD