• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome aboard! I'll add you to the roll.

Yeah! We need more cannonfodders, er... bullet catchers... er, test subjects... er, redshirts... er, Squabbling Senators! Thats it! :D

Welcome aboard, seriously!

Senators, I have relatives who fought upon both sides of the First World War, and I can say this. The Allies did not bring war upon themselves. 'Tis was the Nazi leader, Hitler, who brought war to the continent. Austria? Czechoslovakia? Poland? He bullied his neighbors into submission.

I urge us to please reconsider and help democracy.

Signed,
Mary Philipps (D-CA)

(OOC: I still think that by not entering the war, we shall not become a world power and end up being crippled by the USSR or somebody.)

Well, i mean that the Allies neglected our goal in WWI, creating an order that ensures peace and prosperity. If I am refering to the Allie i mean France and the British Empire, they did not care, their empires stood above their will for peace, so they forced the Treatys of Paris on Hungary, Germany, just by drawing old borders, completely ignoring that Population had moved. They made the Conditions so harsh, that making friendship and a good peace out of the Armistice was impossible, thus ensuring war upon them later, to be exact, now.

Too long nations and cultures have been suppressed by them, how can a still colonially treated India, be governed by the British, and their Alliance for Freedom

- Senator Franz Vormüller (Independent - WA)

New poll:

Factions
Allies: 5
None: 7

Presidential authority
Aye: 4
Nay: 6

With only one positive vote -- and an extremely limited one -- special forces will remain the property of the Theater Commanders. The other two issues are still eligible for voting until Wednesday at 10 PM CST (-6 GMT).

Voting is closed. We are staying neutral, voting on every decision, and giving control of special forces to Theater Commanders. I'm going to play tonight (hopefully) and update tomorrow.

It is excellent to see that common sense has prevailed over warmongering and that we are to remain neutral and true to the value of our forefathers.

Senator Peter Dawson, MD

Ladies and gentlemen of the Senate,

Today, July 10, 1940, Italy honored her alliance with Germany and has declared war on the Allies. Secretary of State Hull thinks we could use this opportunity to break the stranglehold isolationism has on the minds of the American people. I know many of you do not feel we should involve ourselves in European politics at this time. However, we must maintain the freedom of action to intervene as we see fit, and this would give us the opportunity to begin taking precautionary measures such as the One Year Draft already approved by Congress and signed into law. Here are the particulars:

stabintheback.jpg

Senators, France has been Stabbed in the Back by Italy, and I propose we use this opportunity to demonstrate our resolve to see that these matters are decided peacefully.

President Roosevelt
-------------------------------------------------------------
The actual decision is called Stab in the Back. Senators, please vote Aye or Nay by Friday at 10 PM CST (-6 GMT). I would also propose an Emergency Voting Act for measures such as these; this would allow any temporary measure to be passed without a full session of Senators. In effect, if there are five positive votes with no negative votes, the law goes into effect. Please vote on both of these measures by Friday.

I will vote Aye on both of these matters.

- Senator Charles Beckendorf, D-MA

I vote Nay on the condemnation of Italy, it is a European matter and none of our concern and I also vote Nay Emergency Voting Act, it could be to easy for a minority of Senators working in collusion to pass acts which would never pass a full session.

Senator Peter Dawson, MD

This is outrageous! How long will we wait until we finally act against the belligerent Germans? A year? Two years? Do we wait until Paris and London burn and Hitler's grip on Europe is complete? Will we only move once the Kriegsmarine is bombing New York itself? We must act before it is too late and join the Allies in this fight!

Since there are still Senators among us who are clearly not interested in anything but their own petty interests voting on the Italian issue is the only thing I can do. So I vote Aye on Both the stabbing in backs and the Emergency Voting Act!

Use some common sense, Senators!

- Senator John Linton, D-FL

aye on both. Let's increase our defenses.

I will vote AYE on the condemnation of Italy, but I shall vote NAY on the Emergency Vote Act, as it is in clear violation of the Constitution as diplomatic matters are always to be confirmed by the Senate.

Senator De Brink, D-WY

((hint: it is better to seek forgiveness than ask permission ;) ))

((also, now I am back, is it still possible to amend the second half of 1940 towards my plans or will I have to wait for 1941's budgetary plans? I do want to change some divisions in the OOBs and that takes time to move them across the nation))

I see that the majority of the ayes for the condemnation of Italy comes from none other than Democratic Party, clearly this party and the current leadership of this nation have an alterer motive for wanting America to enter a foreign war, they would see our boys sent overseas to fight and die in a foreign war on a foreign land, and for what reason? To line their own pockets!, ask your self how many of these senators will benefit from the defence contracts such a war would bring? They are nothing more than War Profiteers! Hiding behind the guise of saving "Democracy".

Senator Peter Dawson , MD

I will vote AYE on the condemnation of Italy, but I shall vote NAY on the Emergency Vote Act, as it is in clear violation of the Constitution as diplomatic matters are always to be confirmed by the Senate.

Senator De Brink, D-WY

((hint: it is better to seek forgiveness than ask permission ;) ))

((also, now I am back, is it still possible to amend the second half of 1940 towards my plans or will I have to wait for 1941's budgetary plans? I do want to change some divisions in the OOBs and that takes time to move them across the nation))

((I'd talk with Tom about what he'd planned, but OOB changes I can make whenever. If you want to change tech/build, see what Tom has provided. Hope you're feeling better!))

Stab in the back
Nay: 1

Emergency voting act
Aye: 3
Nay: 2

After deliberation, I vote AYE on Stab in the Back. Economic and Diplomatic Pressure should help to stabilize the situation in Europe and encourage Germany to be lenient with her treaties. I also vote AYE on the Emergency Voting Act - in times of Crisis, we cannot afford to spend months deliberating on actions that must be taken immediately!

~Senator Sarah Quentin O'Hanahan, D-OR

After deliberation, I vote AYE on Stab in the Back. Economic and Diplomatic Pressure should help to stabilize the situation in Europe and encourage Germany to be lenient with her treaties. I also vote AYE on the Emergency Voting Act - in times of Crisis, we cannot afford to spend months deliberating on actions that must be taken immediately!

Brings us to:

Stab in the back
Aye: 5

Emergency voting act

I most certainly vote AYE on BOTH adjustments. As a previous senator has stated... how long will we wait before fighting back? Until the Luftwaffe is doing air raids upon Lady Liberty? Until the Kriegsmarine is bombarding our Atlantic ports? Until the Wehrmacht is goose-stepping down Pennsylvania Ave towards President Roosevelt's office? Until the Nazi swastika flies over our great capital? No! We have to make a stand before it is too late, before democracy is no longer save-able.

I most certainly vote AYE on BOTH adjustments. As a previous senator has stated... how long will we wait before fighting back? Until the Luftwaffe is doing air raids upon Lady Liberty? Until the Kriegsmarine is bombarding our Atlantic ports? Until the Wehrmacht is goose-stepping down Pennsylvania Ave towards President Roosevelt's office? Until the Nazi swastika flies over our great capital? No! We have to make a stand before it is too late, before democracy is no longer save-able.

Senator Phillips, while I respect preparedness, don't you think you exaggerate the threat of the Germans? Our country is the fairest and mightiest on this earth, and no opponent can realistically hope to be marching on the White House. The Germans would be fools to attempt an invasion of the Continental United States!

New poll:

Stab in the back
Aye: 6

Emergency voting act
Aye: 5

I vote Aye on Stab in the back, but Nay on the Emergency Voting Act. We sure are having to fight an over-expansion of the Executive Branch constantly, aren't we?

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

I vote Aye on Stab in the back, but Nay on the Emergency Voting Act. We sure are having to fight an over-expansion of the Executive Branch constantly, aren't we?

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)
Senator Sinclaire, I must ask. Did you read the proposed bill?
Emergency Voting Act for measures such as these; this would allow any temporary measure to be passed without a full session of Senators. In effect, if there are five positive votes with no negative votes, the law goes into effect.
This measure does nothing for the executive branch. It does allow the senate to reach a decision in an emergency when no quorum is present. Like if an attack took place while most senators were home for Christmas for example. Please reconsider your vote. Thank you.
Richard Newman (R) Georgia.