• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dear Senator O'Hanahan embargoing a country is not the same as going to war with them. We simply refuse the fact that American products will be used in the killing of innocent Chinese men and women. It is an instrument that will hopefully drive the Japanese to the peace table, a peace in which we all can benefit. We are already conducting research in other possible trading partners. May I assume that if this embargo doesn't harm our economic wealth you can agree to it?

- Senator Gordon Sinclair, D-IL

Dear Senator O'Hanahan embargoing a country is not the same as going to war with them. We simply refuse the fact that American products will be used in the killing of innocent Chinese men and women. It is an instrument that will hopefully drive the Japanese to the peace table, a peace in which we all can benefit. We are already conducting research in other possible trading partners. May I assume that if this embargo doesn't harm our economic wealth you can agree to it?

- Senator Gordon Sinclair, D-IL

"Senator Sinclair, while I can understand such naïvete, I believe that embargoing Japan will force them into a situation where war is inevitable. We are their major source of oil and without us their navy and air force cannot function for a prolonged period. An invasion of the Dutch East Indies will be almost inevitable and it is all too likely they will attack us too! If you can present me enough evidence that there are alternative trading partner's who can replace Japan's wealth and ensure that our shores are safe from Japanese invasion, then I may consider changing my stance on this bill."

- Senator Sarah O'Hanahan, D-OR

I find myself in agreement with Senator Sarah O'Hanahan. An embargo will force Japan to seek alternate sources of oil. I am concerned that Japan may expand her attacks possibly attacking the Dutch East Indies or British Malaysia.

Nay
Sen Newman (R) Georgia

Last edited:
I would agree to the E-E Act, Japan will not dare to attack the Dutch east indies, or British Malaya, as both these conflicts would drag the United Kingdom, and thus Framce as well into the War, a war wich Japan cannot win. If Japans war gets into a stalemate, as it seems right now, a drain on their ressources will make a significant impact. However we need to send a clear sign, that if they agree to negotiate with china, that the Embargo will be lifted.

Signed - Senator Franz Vormüller (LWR - WA)

Well Franz Vormuller,as a party member,said aye to the bill but I disagree to this aye .I agree that Japan has a negative impact on the east, but that impact isn't strong enough.However I was worried about the first statement that we are losing 14 million dollars because of trades with them.That means we got trades bribed by the Japanese.I request the president to meet with those traders,I will do the same

So to sum up a Nay on the bill and a check on the trade with the japanese to see possible frauds is my request

Senator, John Sarigis SC

Last edited:
((Please, please, I am on my hands and knees here, bold your votes! It's nearly impossible to count them when there's been so much activity on the thread of late :)))

Senator McCarthy,

How much leeway would I have in conducting operations in Japan, should this bill succeed? Some of my agents inform me of the possibility of a coup attempt; would that be acceptable?

Head of Intelligence Vincent Astor

((Trying to find out, for gameplay purposes, what your bill means :)))

Polls:

E-E Bill -- counting the co-sponsors, I have

Aye: 4
Nay: 4

I have one explicit vote for a faction, that I could see.

Allies: 1

I vehemently oppose the E-E Bill, so I will obviously vote Nay. I will never ruin American markets by hampering free trade, especially in such a situation as we have right now. Besides, both sides appear to be at a stalemate, so neither side currently poses any threat to the US at the time.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire

I vehemently oppose the E-E Bill, so I will obviously vote Nay. I will never ruin American markets by hampering free trade, especially in such a situation as we have right now. Besides, both sides appear to be at a stalemate, so neither side currently poses any threat to the US at the time.

With Senator Sinclaire's vote, we are at:

Aye: 4
Nay: 5

If more people don't start making their views on foreign policy known, we'll be thrown into the Allies by default, since only one person has voted :)

"Senator Sinclair, while I can understand such naïvete, I believe that embargoing Japan will force them into a situation where war is inevitable. We are their major source of oil and without us their navy and air force cannot function for a prolonged period. An invasion of the Dutch East Indies will be almost inevitable and it is all too likely they will attack us too! If you can present me enough evidence that there are alternative trading partner's who can replace Japan's wealth and ensure that our shores are safe from Japanese invasion, then I may consider changing my stance on this bill."

Senator O'Hanahan,

Actually, crude oil is the one thing Japan possesses in abundance presently; at last count, they were generating a daily national surplus of roughly 32,000 gallons, so they will be able to retain their dignity as a nation for quite some time. What this bill will do is force Japan to scale down its military production and return its attention to domestic affairs - or, failing that, it will empower Japan's democratic opposition and pave the way for a constitutional restoration.

Finding trade partners to replace Japan would not be terribly complex: Franco's Spain is willing to take Japan's place in producing military supplies, while the United Kingdom - our historical ally - has several major resource shortfalls that need filling (as soon as they overcome their unwillingness to ask "those bloody Yanks" for assistance). I freely admit that we cannot completely replace Japanese trade in the short term, but we can produce the remainder of these supplies domestically, or find other potential suppliers.

As for "forcing" Japan into war - given that we are importing massive quantities of military supplies from Japan, that Japan has signed Hitler's Anti-Comintern Pact, and that and that Japan is presently engaged in a bloody stalemate in China, it appears to me that Japan intends war against anyone with resources to spare. The question, then, is this: will we fuel their expansionist hunger? And will we be surprised if that ravenous appetite one day turns on us as well?

That's a pity, Senator. I would like to point out that the overwhelming majority of the goods we import are military supplies, which provide precisely zero benefit to either domestic companies or American workers. Not to mention that the greatest beneficiary of this conflict between China and Japan will be the Soviet Union: Stalin must be chortling with glee at how two of the greatest threats to Communist domination of Asia have fallen into war with one another. How free will the markets be when the hammer and sickle fly over Shanghai?

As far as the "stalemate" goes, I agree with you that neither side is currently a threat to the United States. This bill is intended to ensure that neither the Republic of China nor the Empire of Japan has the capability to attack us - neither now nor ever.

Still, I commend you for your decisiveness, if not for your position on this issue.

Senator McCarthy,

How much leeway would I have in conducting operations in Japan, should this bill succeed? Some of my agents inform me of the possibility of a coup attempt; would that be acceptable?

Head of Intelligence Vincent Astor

((Trying to find out, for gameplay purposes, what your bill means :)))

Director Astor,

I admire your agents' optimism, but I cannot entirely say that I share it. I would recommend merely supporting and empowering the domestic opposition for the time being, and only initiating an outright coup if conditions significantly favor your success. That said, such a decision remains firmly in your hands, and I trust that you and President Roosevelt will exercise your best judgment regarding how and when to strike.

Of course, if you plan to launch a coup attempt immediately, then I would you to advise the Minister of Commerce to delay that embargo until after the coup is resolved. There's no sense in embargoing a new (and friendly) democratic government, after all!

Also, I still recommend that we pursue an Isolationist course of action. My goal with this bill is to prevent war, not to start it, and that attitude should be reflected in our overall foreign policy.

((I was actually thinking of just using the Support Our Party/Disrupt National Unity missions and only using a coup when we're on the verge of invading the Home Islands - I figured starting a coup outright would be too gamey. That said, if you're alright with it, feel free, though it will render most of Saithis' preparations moot.))

For the stance of foreign policy, I will vote to continue our isolationist policy.

- Senator Charles Beckendorf, D-MA

"Having reviewed the statements of my fellow Senators regarding this bill, I have made my final decision. I am casting my vote as NAY for the E-E bill, as I believe it would damage our economy and provoke a war with Japan, regardless of Senator McCarthy's backward ideas!

I am also casting my support in favour of Isolationism as we should remain neutral for the optimum levels of trade!"

I agree with Senator O'Hanahan's view on both matters. Thus I vote Nay in the E-E bill and Isolationism as our foreign policy.

- Senator John Linton, D-FL

I got convinced by Mr. Sarigis and Mr.McCarthy to recast my vote, if possible. Mr. Mc Carthy will probably wonder why, seeing that he is in favor of the E-E- Bill. He pointed out to us, my fellow senators, that it doesnt even affect Kapan a great deal. It would only be a provokation, whilst not having a serious impact on their economy. In the beginnig i thought this would be good for the people of China, forcing Japan to end their useless war, caused by an inicdent, but now i am convinced that this bill would also send a bad sign to china, they would see us as the dog that only barks.

Some of my fellow politicans might call me weak for changing my opinion, but sometimes you have to change, isnt convicing people what the parliament is about?
so i would change from Aye to Nay

As for Foreign Policy, none of the Alliances currently existing seem appropriate, the Axis are a bunch of neo-imperialist, the Allies are in a weak shape at the moment, accepting every axis demand. The Comintern are my favored faction, however the Soviet Unions Role in these Problems is yet to be seen.
To sum-up i would say Isolationist, whilst staying friendly towards our classical allies and making better relations with the Soviet union.
- Senator Franz Vormüller

Last edited:
I would like to reiterate my Nay for the vote, in case it was looked over by a corruption of communications.

Signed,
Mary Phillips
Senator (D-CA)

Poll:

E-E Act

Aye: 3
Nay: 9

I'm going to call the E-E Bill defeated. I was actually surprised by how much support it got early on.

Foreign policy:

Isolationist: 5
Allies: 1

How about some budget bills? Anybody working on those?

I'm going to call the E-E Bill defeated. I was actually surprised by how much support it got early on.

It warms my heart to see that our defense of the fundamental freedoms we claim to cherish stops off the coast of California. Perhaps, in his infinite benevolence, the resplendent Emperor of Japan will graciously permit you to lick his boots rather than crushing you underfoot... but given how Japan has behaved thus far, I sincerely doubt it.

I can only pray that the Chinese army can hold Japan in Manchuria, and that our Navy can turn back the Japanese tide from our shores, as I see quite plainly that this Congress will not.

- Senator Stephen McCarthy (D-TX)

((Sadly, I'm not planning to draft a budget, especially in light of how this one worked out. Best of luck to the rest of you, and remember - if your budget expands the Navy or Air Force, you're provoking Japan! ;)))

Fellow Senators,a few days before I met with one of our traders with Japan, as I promised to do,and he told me about that problem with the Japs,he noted of the constant checks by the IJN and the Imperial Army and some of our traders were missing for the past weeks and that caught me something,The Japanese are competing us with the old merchantilism tricks.we'd better let the CIA look for this thing as it is insulting to the American economy

Also i vote Isolationist again but with more foreign privileges.

((Sorry,Avidian I'm not planning a new budget plan,however there will be a new bill that I will propose soon))

We seem to be headed for war thanks to the various chicken hawks in this great body.

Join the Allies

Leadership:

Officers: 0 Technology should be our primary and overriding consideration
Diplomacy: 0.25 This should still be sufficient to cover our needs
Espionage: 1.0 Germany, the USSR and Japan should be our main targets
Research: 32.68 or the remainder

Technology Plan: Research efficiency should be our primary concern here. There is no use spending precious leadership on technologies that are too advanced to finish in less than a year.

IC Distribution:

Upgrades: 0 As we will be researching many new designs upgrading should be left until next year when they are complete
Reinforcement: .25 this should cover retirements and any other needs
Supplies: 0 as none are needed
Consumer Goods: whatever is required for zero dissent
Production: 15 on land, 25 on sea, 20 on air force, 60 on Buildings

At least two(2) new factories must be placed in Georgia.

My proposal is designed to increase civilian employment and jump start the economic recovery. Our citizens have suffered enough with severe unemployment and a degraded standard of living. It is time to get our people back to work.

Dear fellow Senators,

We are fast approaching an hour in which we cannot simply stand by and wait to see what happens. Our advancement in the military may be great, but it is far from effective as of right now! We have 0 combat ready divisions that have the necessary weaponry to even fend off an improbable attack from Mexico in the south. We must act accordingly, and I propose the following budget plan for the first half of 1939;

Leadership

Officers: 35.29
Diplomacy: 0
Espionage: 0
Research: 0

Industrial Capacity distribution:

Upgrades: Prioritize
Reinforcement: Prioritize
Supplies: 0
Consumer Goods: ~44.00
Production: the remainder

In the first half of the year we must strive to get our troops better equipment and leadership. The army has an APPALLING 50% effective leadership, and by focusing on officer recruitment for 6 months instead of research, we can heighten the effectiveness to above 100%. Also, our brigades are falling behind severely on reinforcements as well as equipment. We therefore must funnel our industrial capacity towards replenishing both simultaneously, and hold off on constructing new brigades and material for the army for now. And to avoid any oversight to the industry, I propose to build a Long Range Bomber for the Army Air Corps, as their current production will be finished earliest.

((Put the production sliders on automatic 'Prioritize Upgrades' and it will deal with it accordingly, we should see at least our full reinforcement pool drop to 0, and our upgrades will be down 75%(!) by July. Also, reorganize the build queue so that the items that currently need the shortest time to complete are at the top; that is 1 IC first, then 1 Fighter wing, then the armored and infantry divisions. By the time they are finished, our reinforcements have taken effect and more construction will be automatic. The Strategic Bomber is to be placed at the end of the queue, mostly to catch any production that will be overflowing once the upgrades and reinforcements have trickled in, and we do not need more IC there))

For the second half of the year, we can fund our research labs once again, as well as renewing our production efforts towards a bigger military force:

Leadership

Officers: 0.50
Diplomacy: 0
Espionage: 1.75
Research: 33.01 -> To be divided into: Army 9 slots, Navy 9 slots, Army Air Corps 9 slots, Civilian 6 slots.

Industrial Capacity distribution:

Upgrades: Prioritize
Reinforcement: Prioritize
Supplies: 0
Consumer Goods: ~44.00
Production: 33 for the Navy, 42 for Civilian production, 25 for the Army, 15-35 for the AAC

((I have run a game with the proposed budget until July, and there was only 20 left needed for upgrades at that point. The navy production proposed is exactly what they will still have in the queue in July; 2 BB and 1 SHBB. For civilian production, it is the infrastructure and radar stations + 2 additional factories, which can be queued after the original Strategic Bomber as some IC will already be freed up before July. By the end of the year, about 14 will be freed from the radar installations, and this will go to the Army instead. The AAC budget looks strange, but is to incorporate anything that will be freed once upgrades are finished again.))

I hope there is a Senator willing to co-sign this bill, as I see this as the only way to improve our current Armed Forces in an effective way! If it deems necessary to the distinguished Senator in question, parts of the bill are open for discussion and change.

Sincerely,

Senator De Brink, D-WY

Last edited: