• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Urgent FLASH traffic

Shortly after receiving our response to Stalin's proposal, the following radio message was played over Radio Moscow and relayed to us by our friends in the United Kingdom:

"Workers of the world!

Your so-called protectors, the Allies, have been in secret negotiations with our peace-loving government to sell out the governments of Turkey and Manchuria. We have evidence that will prove that the Allies are not who say they are. They claimed that all they cared about was defeating the Nazis, but clearly that was a lie."

A snippet of Senator Sinclaire's speech is played, particularly her demands for the Soviet Union to give up territory it had won fairly.

"Naturally, our friends in Turkey and Manchuria were as horrified as you were. Both have requested Soviet protection against Allied aggression, and we have, with a heavy heart, accepted their requests. We do not wish to war with any other nation, but impinging on another nation's freedoms in order to sell those freedoms? That is a crime even Hitler would never have conceived."

Shortly afterwards, Prime Minister Churchill gave this speech via the BBC and Radio Free Europe:

"Generalissimo Stalin is wrong. He does not speak of the Poles remaining in Soviet captivity. He does not speak of the people of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania, who were illegally annexed. No, he accuses President Willkie and the American government of 'selling the freedoms' of Turkey and Manchuria! I am a close personal friend to Mr. Willkie, and I cannot believe, for one moment, that he did anything of the sort. We are seeing Stalin's true colors here, and the Allies will not stand for his reckless imperialism. The government of Turkey has formally requested Allied aid to defend against these heinous invasions by the Soviet Union. I have formally accepted them into the Allies and declared war on the Soviet Union. We may not have started this war, but by God, we shall finish it!"

The President received this tersely worded message from Prime Minister Churchill just a few moments ago. "If one wishes to barter land with the Soviet Union, perhaps one should contact his allies first next time? I sincerely hope you Yanks know what you've gotten us into. God help us all."

Admiral William D. Leahy, Presidential Chief of Staff

((So, in game terms, the Soviets DOW Japan (for Manchuria) and Turkey (conquest war goals on both). Turkey joins the Allies. The UK declares war on the Soviet Union (puppet war goal) and we are dragged in. I did all of this with the console, FYI, as it's almost certainly what would have happened given that we rejected Stalin's counter proposal with no explanatory note of our own.))

So, I need Atlantic and Pacific plans by Sunday at 10 PM (-6 GMT). dresdor, I'm still waiting on a budget for the Navy.

*Sinclaire just stares angrily, holding herself from a full on fit of rage.*

Oh, we'll see about that, Generalissimo. I won't rest until your *expletive deleted* head is hanging on a pike. So, shall we vote on war and draft plans, my fellow Congressmen?

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

((I remember someone saying we need a new draft, so I'm offering it.))

The Eagle will tear the Bear's throat out.

- Senator Mary Philipps (D-CA)

This war is unnecissary and will be full of the death of the citizens of both the US and the USSR.

I will no longer participate in a Senate that is so willing to kill our citizens when a diplomatic solution could have been available.

I will return when sanity returns to the Senate, otherwise all my votes will be from out of state.

*Walks out of the Senate and takes the first train to West Virginia*

- Sam G. Écossais, R - WV

((OOC: I game terms I just need my vote to be in letter form to stay in character, otherwise nothing changes))

I think that all of us did the right choice, more people could die in future by Soviet Union than from this war that should end this once and for all, we must have hope that we weren't wrong with ours calculations and we would win this war. Also, we must send respond to Prime Minister Winston Churchill and we should calm him down and ensure him that this is only Stalin's propaganda and about that he wanted to force us to his demands, which would certainly threaten the freedom of people from other countries.

*Turns to Senator Elexis Sinclaire*

We all know that Stalin is talking in his name, and people of Poland, Baltic States and even Russia think differently, and doubtless they are also supporting our actions toward their freedom. I also think that they would even help us in liberation operations as volunteers in our army.

- Senator Jack Rimbly, VA

The Senate
East Capitol Street, NE and 1st Street
Washington, DC 20004

George Marshall
Platz der Republik 1.
11011 Berlin Germany

CLASSIFIED - SHORT

Senators,

This turn of events has been most unfortunate. Regardless of my opinion on war with the Soviet Union, our troops are not ready as it is. General Stillwell is currently reorganizing his troops to deal with the Soviets, and I am intent on helping him by canceling his obligations to provide PACCOM with forces. These troops will be needed to defend Germany.

I also want to inform you that as of January 2nd, 1944 I have sent letters to both Prime Minister Churchill and Ambassador Standley. While the latter has leaked a classified discussion to the Soviet Union without providing sufficient diplomatical, soothing packaging, the former has "aided" our cause greatly by allowing this confict to escalate so quickly.

Other than that, I wish to note that time is on our side, and that I urge General Stillwell to delay the Soviets as much as possible.

General George C. Marshall
Chief of the US Army & Air Force

-------------------------------------------------

Fellow citizens of the United States;
Today is the day that the Communist scum have showed their true nature. This unprovoked attack on the rightful possessions of two neutral nations (China and Turkey), has shaken the free world. Let us show them our fists of lead and our hearts of iron - Let's bring democracy to Russia!

- Senator Ryan Marshall (D-NV)

*A letter from Senator Andrew Ryan of Michigan to Senator Sam G. Écossais of West Virginia*

Dear Senator Écossais,

I hope this letter finds you well, I understand your anger at our current predicament, I am also shocked by the choice my fellow senators agreed upon. If you'll recall a few short years ago, though it seems much longer, many senators did not want to get involved in the war in Europe at all. Yet now we seem to be looking for reasons to fight, and sure the freedom of the Polish people is a good enough cause, but I wonder what has happened to cause such a shift. And I hope that this change won't lead to the United States trying to police the world, a choice that would surely ruin us.
However, as much as I don't agree with the path we have chosen, we are now at war with the Soviets, and we need to stand united now more than ever. So I implore you to return to Washington were your voice will be better heard and your opinion will be more respected.

Sincerely,
Senator Andrew Ryan, R-MI

"The American nation has been ragged into another war... There shall be a continuation of killing and death to young American men and women. I believe there should have a peaceful solution to the Soviet Union crisis, but I see some Senators wanted to disregard the note; which as we now know is causing another gigantic war... Let's pray that somehow we can finish this war quickly, and with minimal bloodshed... I am terribly saddened by my friend from West Virginia has left the Senate, though I am also deeply angered at the Senate's choice for another vile war I will remain in the Senate. I hope my war-mongering friends are happy..."

- John G. Lennox addresses the Senate (02-1-1944)

I've updated the save on the first page to reflect the new international situation in case people want it for testing purposes.

(i am very busy with work and am unable to make a naval budget until tuesday at the earliest.)

(i am very busy with work and am unable to make a naval budget until tuesday at the earliest.)

((Tuesday's fine. Consider all such deadlines extended.))

Since nobody's commented on the Army/Air Force budget, I'm going to assume it's approved and I'll add it to the front page.

((Sorry, finals and real life has kept me busy. The Russians haven't nuked me yet!))

((Sorry, finals and real life has kept me busy. The Russians haven't nuked me yet!))

((A nuke is a bit of overkill, wouldn't you say? :D))

Actually, that brings up a good point. Tech willing, we should have atom bombs in early to mid 1945. Since we've got some time to burn, if somebody wants to draft a bill regarding who has authority to use nukes, etc., that would be fine.

*Sinclaire gets up from her chair, reading from a newly drafted bill.*

My fellow Americans, I am proud to say that as a scientist myself, I have watched our glorious nation excel in many fields. These new innovations have been applied to warfare even, and have brought us victory over the Nazi nightmare. However, the status quo can not end the Soviet War quick enough. We will soon possess a new weapon never conceived before: the atomic bomb. SiNTEK has also aided in the advance of this weapon, and despite not being its CEO any more, I still understand how this technology works. It will bring the United States an absolute advantage in war, but as mortal men and women, it behooves us to limit its use. Even in its beginning stage, abuse of this power will spell doom for us all. As a result, I've proposed a new bill as a middle ground.

The Sinclaire Nuclear Weapons Act:

1. The United States military shall be the possessor of atomic weapons. No civilian, whether as part of government or a private firm, may own any atomic warhead under any condition. The United States military has a right to own these warheads and produce them, but can not sell them to American civilians or non-allied military structures. Violating this trust will be considered treason and those convicted will be tried regularly.
2. The use of nuclear warheads will be restricted to total wartime. They may only be fired upon nations which Congress has declared war upon, and only then. Unofficial wars, which are not full wars thanks to the wording of the Constitution, must stick to unconventional warfare. If the President wishes to use nuclear weapons in an unofficial conflict, Congress must pass a declaration of war to begin with.
3. Under no circumstances, ever, shall atomic fire be used against American citizens within their own borders. Testing atomic warheads with American borders is acceptable, but only in unoccupied territory. The government will create "nuketowns", fake and uninhabited cities, to test the effects of atomic bombs on infrastructures and industry. Not even Congress or the President may fire a nuclear device against its own citizens, and if they do so, it shall be considered treason. Riots, protests will not be considered an excuse to waive this law either.
4. Although the President will decide when nukes will be used in warfare, he or she is mandated to discuss it with his military cabinet (Big Four). He is not required to heed their advice 100%, but he must consult them first. They will conduct a brief meeting to discuss the benefits and costs of nuking the enemy, and once the meeting ends, the President has license to fire atomic warheads.
5. We may show our allies how to create atomic weapons, but we shall not sell nukes themselves to them. Materials to assemble themselves and the blueprints are fair game, however.
6. Finally, in the nightmare scenario of another nation gaining multiple nukes at us at once, the President may fire his or her own nuclear stockpile at the same nation targeting us without needing an official war declaration or consulting his military chiefs. The President must receive crystal clear proof of such an attack, and this waiver only enables retaliation. If the United States strikes first, normal procedures still apply.

Message from Senator Samuel G. Écossais in West Virginia

I support the bill as purposed by Senator Sinclaire, even though the Hawk seems to enjoy her name on the front. All in all I am willing to sign or co-sponser if needed.

I thank Senators Ryan and Lennox for their like minded support, however if they truly feel as I do they would do the same. I will not being returning to Washington any time soon however.

Sincerly,

Senator Sam G. Écossais R - WV

I give Mr. Écossais permission to cosponsor the bill. Consider this my redemption, as I am restricting our usage of nuclear warfare to a minimum. After all, I do miss you here in the Senate.

Actually, that brings up a good point. Tech willing, we should have atom bombs in early to mid 1945. Since we've got some time to burn, if somebody wants to draft a bill regarding who has authority to use nukes, etc., that would be fine.
Just remember, that the military AI uses them as soon as it has bombers. There's no way to prevent the AI from using nukes as soon as they come available, except denying it of bombers, rockets and CAG.

Just remember, that the military AI uses them as soon as it has bombers. There's no way to prevent the AI from using nukes as soon as they come available, except denying it of bombers, rockets and CAG.

I had no idea; I've never actually used nukes in HOI3.

Let's go ahead and put the Atom bomb bill to a vote. Assuming yes votes from the co-sponsors, that gives us:

Aye: 3
Nay: 0

EVA will apply to this bill, which means 5 Ayes with no Nay means it passes. We'll set the Tuesday deadline for this bill as well (Tuesday at 10 PM (-6 GMT).

Last edited: