• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Didn't realize it was such a sore subject. Last time it will be mentioned))

((Didn't realize it was such a sore subject. Last time it will be mentioned))

((No worries. :)))

I'm going to consider the Atlantic plan approved (by DOPE-A) and will play shortly.

EDIT: Just finished the two months of gameplay; should have an update this evening/early morning.

Last edited:
Senator Clark,

I'm curious if you can amend your bill to include nomenclature for a Destroyer of Light Cruiser group intended for anti-submarine work. I recommend something along the lines of FRF (Fast Reaction Force) or LAG (Light Action Group). Just something to think about.

Regards,
Frank Knox
Chief of Staff, United States Navy

(Reworking all of the fleets now for the next update)

Briefing: September 1, 1943

Senators,

For the first time in many months, I have reports from both theaters of action, as our Pacific offensive resumed with Operation Catalyst.

General Hodges and Second Army were directed to devote all efforts to attacking Bucharest, the Romanian Capital, and to leave Ploesti to the Soviet Union. We simply cannot match their manpower, and if units are not wasted in occupation duty, we have a better chance of breaking through in Germany or France. General Taylor was recalled to active duty to take over the Provisional 1st Army, consisting of General Ridgway's Third Army Corps and the Second US Marine Corps. His objectives were to eliminate all German units from Southwestern France in preparation for our previously discussed attack on [redacted.] General Devers, CO of Army Group 'Italy', left western Italy for Ljubljana, in an effort to get closer to the front.

July 3rd saw the official beginning of Operation Catalyst with the invasion of Ponape.

invasionofponape.jpg

Multiple Pacific task forces were ordered to aggressively seek out and destroy IJN units. Our first Pacific battle (which took place on July 5) in quite some time, the Battle of Central Mariana Basin, was inconclusive, but future battles were not. On July 6, CTF 'Lexington' sank three Japanese heavy cruisers, finishing off a fourth mere hours later. Two more cruisers, the Chokai and Tone, joined their comrades on July 8. The next day, with Ponape secured by units of the Pacific First Army, the invasion of Truk began. Not all American actions in the Pacific went without cost; the USS Raleigh and the 15th destroyer division were sunk at Pisaras Pass on July 9. Fortunately, these were the only American warship losses in the entirety of Operation Catalyst. Our boys were avenged on July 11th, with the sinking of a Japanese destroyer division and the Chiyoda, a light carrier. Truk was secured the same day.

In Europe, American and Soviet troops fought together for the first time on July 12th, with four Soviet rifle divisions joining the 2nd US Armored Division at the Battle of Sfantu Gheorghe. July 15th saw the final stage of Catalyst in the Pacific; the invasion of Satawan.

invasionofsatawan.jpg

July 16 was the first mandatory status report required of all commanders. Just before the reports were sent to my desk, the CO of CTF 'Yorktown' reported sinking the Japanese light carrier Unyo. General Patton is said to have ordered a 21 gun salute directly into German positions.

Army Group 'France' reported that France was all but secured. General Taylor reveled in his new assignment, and pushed his men hard to seize Bordeaux and the southwestern coast of France.

francemidjuly43.jpg

In Romania, Second Army and Soviet forces continued to close their pincers on a huge pocket of "Romanian forces", almost all of which were in actuality German.

romanianpucketmidjuly43.jpg

While Generals Patton and Marshall pushed hard on southern Germany, along with our Italian allies, progress remained slow. With the Soviets pushing west faster every day, a friendly wager was proposed by Generalissimo Stalin -- the side who gets to Berlin first gets to hang Reichschancellor Hitler. General Patton's reply was extremely colorful, but for the sake of decorum, I cannot print it here.

germanbordermidjuly43.jpg

Our allies in China reported that things had slowed down quite a bit there; a couple of Soviet divisions had crossed into Manchukuo, but did not stay.

asiamidjuly43.jpg

One day later, more Japanese warships found Davy Jones' locker; another light carrier and a submarine squadron met their ends. July 22nd saw the most important battle of the Atlantic Campaign thus far begin: the battle for Bucharest.

bucharest.jpg

Major General Emmons took the 25th Infantry Division right to the outskirts of the Romanian capital before meeting a German infantry division wearing Romanian uniforms. Later that same day, the newly formed Fourth Mechanized Corps landed at Dunkirk, immediately joining Third Army and beginning to push east. On July 24, three Soviet infantry divisions joined the assault, along with the US 7th Infantry Division.

sovietsjoinatbucharest.jpg

On July 25, with the fall of Saratawa, Operation Catalyst was declared a complete success, with American naval forces returning to base for much needed repairs and R&R. Three days later, citing problems with coordination between American and Soviet troops, General Emmons retreated from Bucharest, his forces bloodied.

defeatatbucharest.jpg

The Nazis clearly recognize how important Romania is to them; if Romania leaves the war, they will have no significant allies. The news in Germany was more of the same: casualties on both sides, with the front settling down to a World War I-like pace.

augustineurope43.jpg

The Chinese, incredibly, began to slowly drift back as well, as if some sort of disease had infected them.

augustinasia43.jpg

Our one success in early August was a bit of revenge on a German destroyer division who had been picking off American convoys going to Boston. August 9 saw General Hodges report that the Soviets had abandoned Ploesti, making the defeat of Romania that much more difficult.

thepocketcontinuessovie.jpg

By August 16, even the news that more German ships were sunk had failed to restore Allied spirits; many American officers openly cursed their Soviet counterparts for cowardice in the face of the enemy. When the Soviets bragged about their "glorious victory" at Brest-Litovsk, General Patton was heard to suggest that our dear friend Stalin do something anatomically impossible with their cursed victory.

The one bright spot in the Atlantic theater was the elimination of all German troops from France. General Taylor is already back at the Pentagon, although he's ready to fill in where needed.

franceseptember11943.jpg

In Romania and Germany, things have improved slightly, but somehow the German troops in Romanian clothing continue to fighting.

germanbordersept43.jpg

pocketseptember43.jpg

If not for the Pacific Theater, I would call this an unfortunate sixty days for the Allied cause.

pacificupdate943.jpg

The Chinese still seem to have lost their nerve somewhat, but I have been assured by Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek that a new offensive is sure to begin soon.

asiaseptember43.jpg

Technologies learned: Mechanized Offensive Advance 3, CAS Ground Crew Training 5, Medium Tank Engine 5, Medium Tank Reliability 5, Medium Tank Armor 5, Anti-Tank Ammunition and Muzzle Velocity 6, Ground Attack Tactics 3, Light Artillery 6, Anti-Aircraft Barrel and Ammunition 6, Medium Navigation Radar 2
Units built: 4 x BB, 3 x SS, 3 X TR (deployed to Los Angeles, CA), 1 x armored division (1 х АRM, 2 x MECH), 2 x FTR (deployed to Norfolk, VA)
Warships sunk: 3 x CVL, 6 x CA, 1 x DD, 1 x SS (Japanese), 2 x DD, 1 x TR (German)
Warships lost: 1 x CL, 1 x DD (by Japan)
Convoys sunk: 5/0 (Japanese)
Convoys lost: 2/0 (by Germany), 2/0 (by Japan)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would somebody more experienced than me care to share how the Germans in Romania are still in supply? It's irritating to see how long they've lasted (although kudos to the AI for dumping expeditionary forces effectively). Although I didn't mention it, I put an allied objective in Washington DC in the hopes of getting some British expeditionary units. They've literally done nothing this entire war since we won in North Africa.

No special bills or pressing issues I'm aware of -- the naming convention bill does need a co-sponsor. The Liberation of Vichy France bill specifies Allied forces must be at the Elbe before we declare war; if we want to move up that timetable, it will require a separate vote to declare war (provided two Senators create such a bill, of course).

shierholzer, until Tom officially returns to the thread, you're still ATLCOM. If we don't hear from him by the end of, say, 1943, you'll be official ATLCOM.

I'd like to have all bills voted on and plans completed by Monday at 10 PM (-6 GMT), if not sooner.

It is a great thing to see our brave seamen cost the enemy so dearly at the loss of so few.
-Frank Knox,
Chief of Staff, United States Navy

((Can we get Operation Catalyst posted to the main page? I have a hard time finding it in thread...))

Don't worry my fellow Americans; Hitler's tyrannical regime will crumble. He's just on his last legs.

- Sen. Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

Would somebody more experienced than me care to share how the Germans in Romania are still in supply? It's irritating to see how long they've lasted (although kudos to the AI for dumping expeditionary forces effectively).
((Afaik expeditionary forces aren't supplied by the owner, but the controller. I guess they've simply enough supplies in Bucuresti.))

((Any forces allied to the province owner draw supplies from their stockpiles. The supplies are then traded to the province owner. As such, a little playing with the last save shows they don't have a whole lot of supplies, but a crap ton of fuel. All of their units were in good supply at the beginning of the last save, and I imagine things have not gotten very bad for them. I'd recommend logistics bombing if they remain a tough nut to crack. If you destroy all the supplies for, they cannot resupply.))

((Can we get Operation Catalyst posted to the main page? I have a hard time finding it in thread...))

((Sorry, an oversight! I haven't been posting every war plan to the main page, but I can start doing that now.))

EDIT: OP updated with plan links. Thanks again for reminding me!

Don't worry my fellow Americans; Hitler's tyrannical regime will crumble. He's just on his last legs.

- Sen. Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

I am certain the Senator is right.

((Afaik expeditionary forces aren't supplied by the owner, but the controller. I guess they've simply enough supplies in Bucuresti.))

((Any forces allied to the province owner draw supplies from their stockpiles. The supplies are then traded to the province owner. As such, a little playing with the last save shows they don't have a whole lot of supplies, but a crap ton of fuel. All of their units were in good supply at the beginning of the last save, and I imagine things have not gotten very bad for them. I'd recommend logistics bombing if they remain a tough nut to crack. If you destroy all the supplies for, they cannot resupply.))

((Good to know, both of you. Thanks for your help!))

This is an outrage!

In my entire career as US Army officer and as politician, I have never seen as shamefur a display as Stalin is showing us now. Abandoning your flanks (Ploiesti) to win a wager for Berlin is not only a drunk man's action and tactically unsound, but it might also well be the cause of the delay our troops have been experiencing the last few weeks!
We need to end this unnecessary loss of life, and defeat the Germans quickly with the very Blitzkrieg tactics they used in Poland and France. Any reserves should be focused at a single point, then used to force a breakthrough and destroy the Heimat. If we are successful, we might even beat the Red Horde to Berlin and humiliate Stalin in front of the entire world.

We must not lose our focus now!

Senator Marshall,
I still hope Mr. Stalin hasn't abandoned our flanks, but simply get's pushed back. And that's a essential part of modern war - mobile defense.
However, we should be kind - whoever will reach Bucuresti first, Romania will surrender to him (I hope we're going to be lucky).
As it stands for Blitzkrieg:
On the Western Front, there isn't much of a front, we could break through. Hitler has gambled, and he has gambled the wrong way. Nearly all German troops are concentrated in holding the line against the Soviets, First and Fourth Army (don't forget the Germans fighting under Romanian flag). However this enables Third Army to advance nearly unopposed. I expect Third Army will cross the river Elbe before November.
Senator, just look at Third Army's situation: The only forces our boys fought in the last months were a couple of either green of exhausted infantrymen or even garrison troops - raised to beat partisans, not real enemies.
-- David Worth Clark (D-ID)

Senators,

As our men have valiantly shown, anything and everything is possible in the Pacific ocean with the backing of the American people. With such a strong strategic hold on the Pacific rim, it is a mere matter of weeks before our battle-proven sons and daughters beat the Japanese back to their homes. Our upcoming operations will leave us within striking distance of the Mainland of Japan, and I believe that it is time for us to begin discussing the actions that are to be taken on the Land of the Setting Sun. My intelligence and commanders on the ground suggest that a few weeks of fighting may leave us at their door step. I strongly suggest opening that line of discussion with those who may be concerned to ensure that our combat lines do not over extend if we are not concerned with doing more than hemming the Japanese in, or that the Pacific theater receive adequate resources to stage the operation if we do.

Gen. Roy S. Geiger
USMC, Commander of Pacific Forces

My fellow senators,

Due to Hitler's mistake of fearing the Soviets and their numbers rather than the United States and our brilliant commanders and brave men it seems we will be in Berlin by November. While American and Italian forces fight to enter Germany from the south and the Soviets from the east, army group France has a clear path straight to the heart of Germany (and we must reach Berlin before Stalin, both to ensure the freedom of the German people and to avoid a moral victory for the communists). With this in mind, I feel we must consider when we will restore the governments of Belgium and the Netherlands. As things stand we have a plan to begin the liberation of France after crossing the Elbe and I would recommend that at that time we also restore Belgium and the Netherlands. Finally I just want to take this time to thank our men who are fighting so hard against Axis' armies.

- Senator Andrew Ryan, R-MI

((I didn't see a plan for Belgium or the Netherlands, if it was implied to be part of the plan in place for France, or was mentioned elsewhere then please disregard this))

((Can we get an updated save? I need to restructure the navy a bit and I want to see how it works with the loss of that destroyer division and our new vessels))

((I didn't see a plan for Belgium or the Netherlands, if it was implied to be part of the plan in place for France, or was mentioned elsewhere then please disregard this))
Senator Ryan,

First I thank you for the opening of these discussion. As responsible commander I suggest to wait with the actual liberation of anyone allied, till Germany surrendered.
That's no affront against our French, Dutch, Belgian and Luxembourgian Friends, that's pure has pure military reasons. While the responsible units doing all they can, our supply situation, has already problems to hold the pace of our advancement. I couldn't imagine how an additional authority in between would alter the situation to the bad. That's nothing bad at our allies, that's normal - the more independent authorities controlling one single things, the more inefficient it gets.
A separate bill for France exists only because the southern part of France and most colonies are controlled by a 'independent' government led by french Marshall Philippe Petain, which is located in the South French town Vichy, therefor it is also called the Vichy-Regime. However, while Vichy is clearly a puppet of Hitler, they claim to be at peace with the allies - at least till today ATLCOM hasn't registered any hostile actions against allied forces from their territory, so the peace claim might be right. The only two problems: first France needs to be united, and second Petain leads an fascistic government there.
Probably Senator Clark was aware of the fact, that ATLCOM couldn't do anything against them since a declaration of war is issued by the senate or the president. I don't think Petain would be so stupid and order his tiny forces to cross into allied held territory (he could kill himself instead, with the same result for his life).
--
Senators, please keep also the military side on your screen: Yes it would be possible to liberate France, Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg right now, however our boys would've a really more easy time with those German bastards if we wait with the restoration of our allies till German surrender.

Joseph Warren Stilwell
Deputy Commander-in-Chief Atlantic Theater

((Avindan, till when you expect my initial plannings to go public?))

Deputy Commander-in-Chief Stilwell,

I appreciate your response. Of course, in matters such as these I defer to our commanders, such as yourself, especially on the specifics. ((I typically play on arcade mode and on easy difficulty because of my limited knowledge of combat in HOI3, so I didn't even think about the difficulty of keeping the troops supplied)). I assure you, I was not attempting to suggest we liberate them too soon, only to find out if we have a plan in place, as I have been busy and fallen behind on legislation. That being said, I think we must begin to formulate a plan to lay out under what circumstances we will restore the rightful governments to these nations. If you feel it best that we wait to liberate them until Germany's surrender then I fully support such a measure, just so long as we have a plan in place for when that surrender comes.
And to my fellow senators, I think we must begin to think of what the soviet response will be if we prevent them from gaining victory in both Romania and Germany. After Stalin was so bold as to bet on a race to Berlin, I can only imagine how he would respond should he (hopefully) lose his own race. Though we fight in an alliance, an uneasy one in some's view, now, Stalin does not seem the most level headed of men. We have already seen soviet troops abandon their American allies in Romania for Stalin's petty interests. I think this something that must at least be discussed before actions would need to be taken.

- Senator Andrew Ryan, R-MI

Last edited:
Senator Ryan,

First I thank you for the opening of these discussion. As responsible commander I suggest to wait with the actual liberation of anyone allied, till Germany surrendered.
That's no affront against our French, Dutch, Belgian and Luxembourgian Friends, that's pure has pure military reasons. While the responsible units doing all they can, our supply situation, has already problems to hold the pace of our advancement. I couldn't imagine how an additional authority in between would alter the situation to the bad. That's nothing bad at our allies, that's normal - the more independent authorities controlling one single things, the more inefficient it gets.
A separate bill for France exists only because the southern part of France and most colonies are controlled by a 'independent' government led by french Marshall Philippe Petain, which is located in the South French town Vichy, therefor it is also called the Vichy-Regime. However, while Vichy is clearly a puppet of Hitler, they claim to be at peace with the allies - at least till today ATLCOM hasn't registered any hostile actions against allied forces from their territory, so the peace claim might be right. The only two problems: first France needs to be united, and second Petain leads an fascistic government there.
Probably Senator Clark was aware of the fact, that ATLCOM couldn't do anything against them since a declaration of war is issued by the senate or the president. I don't think Petain would be so stupid and order his tiny forces to cross into allied held territory (he could kill himself instead, with the same result for his life).
--
Senators, please keep also the military side on your screen: Yes it would be possible to liberate France, Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg right now, however our boys would've a really more easy time with those German bastards if we wait with the restoration of our allies till German surrender.

Joseph Warren Stilwell
Deputy Commander-in-Chief Atlantic Theater

((Avindan, till when you expect my initial plannings to go public?))

((Whenever you like; the official deadline is Monday at 10 PM (-6 GMT), but if you're ready sooner, by all means post sooner. Same for you too, Novatheorem, if you've got anything ready.))