• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As far as self-voting, so I can get an accurate count, I need everybody to vote, regardless of who proposed the bill. So self-voting is not only encouraged, it's mandatory :) Senator Sarigis, the time to propose new bills is past. Senator Newman, does your co-sponsor approve the new changes?

Polls so far:

Doppelgangers
Aye: 3
Nay: 0

Bills:
Linton-Sinclair: 3
Newman-Kenzington: 1

EDIT: Got emu'd by a vote :)

I have read through the bills carefully to ensure the best solution for our glorious nation. The solution I saw as the best fit was Senator Sarigis' bill. However since the deadline was passed I had to re-evaluate. I hereby cast my vote for the Linton-Sinclair bill, and I hope it will continue to steer our nation in the right direction.

In the matter for doppelgangers I vote aye

Senator Charles Beckendorf, D-MA

((Avindian, for next years bills can you post them together as the first year? I got a bit confused searching around for the bills... :)))

Polls as of now:

Doppelgangers:

Aye: 4

Bills:

Linton-Sinclair:4

((You're right, I should have reposted the bills. Senators Newman and Linton, would you mind touching up your bills and sending me final drafts?))

I had recently proposed a compromise. Here is the amended bill with the compromise to appease the hawks in our midst.

Leadership:

Officers: 0 Technology should be our primary and overriding consideration
Diplomacy: 0.25 This should still be sufficient to cover our needs
Espionage: 1.0 Germany, the USSR and Japan should be our main targets
Research: 32.68 or the remainder

Technology Plan: Research efficiency should be our primary concern here. There is no use spending precious leadership on technologies that are too advanced to finish in less than a year.

IC Distribution:

Upgrades: 0 As we will be researching many new designs upgrading should be left until next year when they are complete
Reinforcement: .25 this should cover retirements and any other needs
Supplies: 0 as none are needed
Consumer Goods: whatever is required for zero dissent
Production: 15 on land, 25 on sea, 20 on airforce, 60 on Buildings

My proposal is designed to increase civilian employment and jump start the economic recovery. Our citizens have suffered enough with severe unemployment and a degraded standard of living. It is time to get our people back to work.

Then i Vote aye to the Linton Sinclair - Bill.

Although i was the One proposing a compromise i cant agree to only 15 Production Emphasis.
The Military will and has always been a source of Employment, my fellow Senators and when a 100 years ago a millitary was 95% soldiers, in our techonolgically advanced time more and more civilian Jobs are created by having an army.
Some time ago, an invasion of America would have been impossible, just by Logistical matters. However this has changed rapidly. Maybe in 10 years Tropps cpuld be Deployed via Air from Europe to America.
We can, or can not Prepare for a War. However war will be Prepared for us.

- Senator Franz Vormüller.

Bills:

Linton-Sinclair: 6

Doppelgangers:
Aye: 4

Then i Vote aye to the Linton Sinclair - Bill.

Although i was the One proposing a compromise i cant agree to only 15 Production Emphasis.
The Military will and has always been a source of Employment, my fellow Senators and when a 100 years ago a millitary was 95% soldiers, in our techonolgically advanced time more and more civilian Jobs are created by having an army.
Some time ago, an invasion of America would have been impossible, just by Logistical matters. However this has changed rapidly. Maybe in 10 years Tropps cpuld be Deployed via Air from Europe to America.
We can, or can not Prepare for a War. However war will be Prepared for us.

- Senator Franz Vormüller.
My friend this is the heart of a specious argument. No nation can effectively invade ours unless they come through Canada and r Mexico. Should we invade those neighbors to secure our borders? Regarding raising large numbers of troops, and infantry division can be raised in about 4 months, 3 divisions each year if produced sequentially. We can run dozens of sequences of reserve divisions at a time. Producing 60 reserve divisions in a year would be child's play. Our navy is strong enough already to protect our shores while we produce scores of divisions. If we strategically place the divisions we already have we we can prevent any likely enemies from reaching our shores in the Pacific. Germany and Italy cannot reach our shores without taking the Azores or an equivalent island. By the time they do that, we could raise hundreds of divisions. Let us not harm our civilian economy without reason.

I'm going to call part of this vote now: Saithis, Chimina, Tom, feel free to create Senators to represent you voting wise.

Bill voting will continue as normal. Poll is the same:

Ok then, I get a Senator!

--- Here's my character sheet, btw --
Name: Senator Thomas De Brink
Born: 1875 (age 63)
Party: Democrat, Wyoming

Policy ideas:
-- Foreign policy plans: Isolationist leaning Allies

-- Budgets for IC, including total distribution and which of the four gets what for construction purposes: Militaristic, top of the line equipment, smart distribution

-- Budgets for leadership, including total distribution and which of the four gets which techs: Military-Industrial Complex, focus on state of the art stuff

-- Declaring war/signing peace treaties: When necessary

-- Which faction we align ourselves to, if any: Allies

-- If one of the Big Four needs to be fired/replaced: Not up to Congress, President runs his house

-- Input on our general deployments overseas: Pre-emptive mentality

-- All decisions and law changes: Advancement of the nation

-- Nukes!: Maybe...

((Alright, here goes. Beware, all ye of leftward bent, for here comes... McCarthy! :D))

Name: Stephen McCarthy
Born: 1896 (age 42)
Party: Democratic
State: Texas
Ideology: Social Conservative

Foreign policy plans: I have one goal - make America the world's only superpower. Our historic allies, such as the Commonwealth states and the Republic of China, are welcome to join us, along with any other nations who value both freedom and order.

Budgets for IC, including total distribution and which of the four gets what for construction purposes: Whichever service can do the most with the least number of men gets my vote. Particular priorities are our missile and nuclear programs.

Budgets for leadership, including total distribution and which of the four gets which techs: As above, but with added espionage funding to end wars before they even begin.

Declaring war/signing peace treaties: We start war when our enemies threaten our ongoing survival; we end war when we have destroyed our foes utterly. Any questions?

Which faction we align ourselves to, if any: Given our intellectual, commercial, and military might, we are our! Let the Allies and Axis come begging at our door for aid against the accursed Communists; we guard our nation first, our allies second, and any "faction" after both of those.

If one of the Big Four needs to be fired/replaced: The President gives the Chiefs their orders; the Congress gives the Chiefs their paychecks. Therefore, they should demonstrate how they've been earning those paychecks.

Input on our general deployments overseas: Keep the National Guard on the home front unless we enter a full-scale war. Beyond that, safeguard our Pacific possessions and look for opportunities to expand our influence, even if that means conflict with other powers.

All decisions and law changes: Domestically, develop our natural resources and industry whenever possible; abroad, start mobilizing America for potential conflicts around the globe; politically, end the New Deal when possible, as we need the men and women employed on those projects for other tasks.

Nukes: Yes - as nuclear energy has potential to become a world-changing technology, we must ensure that we are the first to master its power for both militaristic and peaceful uses.

(It begins)

Name: Vernon "Pappy" O'Daniel
Born: 1867 (age 71)
State: Mississippi
Ideology: Southern Democrat

Foreign policy plans: We must always act in what is the best interest for our republic. Which ever nations best secure the future of our democracy in this world will receive our support and blessings.

Budgets for IC: The state of our military is deplorable; only a fully upgraded army can protect us from aggressors.

Budgets for leadership: Put more of our nations minds into the officers corps for now. Our troops would be poorly lead if war were to break out tomorrow.

Declaring war/signing peace treaties: War shall come to any who attack us, or try to set imperial designs on this hemisphere. Peace will come when these nations no longer are a threat to our interests.

Which faction we align ourselves to, if any: Lets us stand alone to the world, we certainly have to military and industrial might to do so.

If one of the Big Four needs to be fired/replaced: Fellow southern democrats like myself will do just fine.

Input on our general deployments overseas: Wherever the banner of the republic currently waves, shall have the banner of the republic wave over it, for all eternity.

All decisions and law changes: Scale back the new deal, increase states rights, defend against all aggressors.

Nukes: No. Little often comes from new gadgets and doo hickys. This nuclear nonsense will turn out to be the same way.

Welcome, Senators. Please feel free to participate in our existing votes for our budgetary bill.

President Roosevelt

((Am I the only one amazed it took us this long for a Senator from Texas?))

Poll is still:

I do believe that the superiority of the Linton-Sinclair speaks for itself. We certainly do not need a continuation of the military stagnation of late.

Aye for the Linton-Sinclair bill.

Pappy O'Daniel D-MS

I do believe that the superiority of the Linton-Sinclair speaks for itself. We certainly do not need a continuation of the military stagnation of late.

Aye for the Linton-Sinclair bill.

Pappy O'Daniel D-MS

That's now:

Linton-Sinclair: 7

I think I'm going to call the election tonight one way or the other. Senator Linton, if you don't mind, please have a final draft prepared as soon as possible. You can then post it in the thread and our military officials can begin preparing their plans for FY 1938.

((Also, I'm begging you guys, please bold your votes! If we get more contentious votes -- and I'm sure we will soon -- it's hard to keep track of who is voting for what.))

(( Back from weekend madness and I've got a senator ready for Avindian to look at. ))

Name: Sarah Quentin O'Hanahan
Born: 1899 (age 39)
State: Oregon
Ideology: Market Liberal

Foreign policy plans: Firm and free trade with all nations, to set an example as the world's only true free market. War can be good for business, but can just as easily harm business and so should only be undertaken if the war is more profitable than peace would be.

Budgets for IC, including total distribution and which of the four gets what for construction purposes: Priority for Industrial Development, followed by the US Navy to shield our shores and the US Army to hold them. The US Air Force is least important to our country as she will not win wars should they come!

Budgets for leadership, including total distribution and which of the four gets which techs: The Army, Navy and Air Force should split developments evenly, but investment in our officer academies and espionage should not be forgotten.

Declaring war/signing peace treaties: We should only declare war if the alternative would threaten profits and American freedom - Germany should be regarded as more dangerous than Japan, who may actually help the global economy (and thus our own) by modernizing the backwards Chinese State to bring us larger markets!

Which faction we align ourselves to, if any: We do not need factions, America is the world's greatest democracy and we can stand alone as a pillar of neutrality and free trade!

If one of the Big Four needs to be fired/replaced: The President should be responsible for selecting new Chiefs, but if Congress finds the expenditure of a Chief unacceptable, we should have the right to replace them.

Input on our general deployments overseas: US Protectorates and Affiliate states such as Liberia and the Philippines should be closely protected and even garrisoned, to ensure we have bases where our merchant marine can travel with safe protection of the US Navy.

All decisions and law changes: Continue to develop our fantastic economic potential, grow our population as quickly as possible and maintain as open and free a market as possible. The people and nations of the world must see us as a model and inspiration!

Nukes: Yes - if the scientists are to be believed, the energy potential of these technologies could be vast and I dream of a future where our entire economy might be based on something that seems like mere science fiction!

I will deliver the final draft of my bill tomorrow morning. (GMT +1, so about 8 hours from now) If anyone wants to see something changed in the draft please feel free to post it with a good argument. I will possibily add these changes to the final draft and have it delivered immediately after. If no one proposes any changes I will consider the draft to be complete on its own.

- Senator John Linton, D-FL

That's now:

Linton-Sinclair: 7

I think I'm going to call the election tonight one way or the other. Senator Linton, if you don't mind, please have a final draft prepared as soon as possible. You can then post it in the thread and our military officials can begin preparing their plans for FY 1938.

((Also, I'm begging you guys, please bold your votes! If we get more contentious votes -- and I'm sure we will soon -- it's hard to keep track of who is voting for what.))

It is with heavy heart that I acknowledge the success of the Linton bill. We have embarked upon a path of hawkish jingoism. The "war to end all wars" ended barely 20 years ago, but here we are again ready to sacrifice our sons on foreign fields. For what I ask you? What did we gain from the last war? 10 years of depression and privation. The slaughter of thousands of American sons on the fields of France did nothing for the USA. So, we prepare for war. We prepare to kill, maim, and scar a generation of American men. If we must do this again, then I must insist that it be once and for all. No other nation must remain after this war that has the capability to force us into another war. If we must embark upon this path, let us do so with the goal of uniting all the earth under our Constitution. With one nation under God, mankind would be free.

Richard Newman (R) Georgia

I'm officially calling the election and will sign the Linton-Sinclair bill into law. Once Senator Linton kindly provides us with the final version of the bill, I humbly ask our Chiefs and Secretary Wagner to have proposals for spending the budget by Wednesday at 10 PM CST (-6 GMT).

President Roosevelt

((Update will probably be Thursday; maybe sooner, but definitely by Thursday.))