• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I vot Aye on DOW on Germany, if were going to war let it be now.

Senator Randall McGeehan Jr.

Poll:

DOW Germany
Now: 8
Delay: 5

If we do decide to DOW Germany (instead of waiting for British call to arms), which war goal should we pursue?

Edited to include new vote.

Last edited:
I say aim to annex the Reich. However, we shouldn't occupy Europe for too long. Liberate Germany eventually, and when we do, don't deprive them of pre-1939 Eastern border. Let's not cause WWIII.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

We've waited too long already. I vote to DoW on Germany NOW. Even if it takes our forces double to estimated time to arrive/complete their operation, the simple fact that the world's last and greatest major power steps up to the plate to save Europe and the world from fascism will take a psychological and logistical toll on the Germans. I also strongly suggest finding any available Marine assets and a SAG group to immediately retake Gilbraltar from the Italians. Are we sure the Regina Maria will not assist the Kriegsmarine in defense of Scandinavia? Also, what sort of intelligence do we have on the Luftwaffe? Have we accounted for intervention from German aircraft against our invasion forces into Scandinavia? Regardless of the answers to these questions, now is the time to go to total war with the axis.

Senator Prescott Bush, (I) TX

Operation Tinderbox
((Last Update: 4/30/2012))

The information contained in this briefing is classified Top Secret, and is protected by the provisions of the Espionage Act. Any transmission of this briefing to unauthorized parties will result in criminal prosecution per the provisions of that Act, which will result in a minimum of imprisonment for thirty (30) years, and may potentially include the death penalty should the court deem such punishment necessary.

Background: War Plan Tan

War Plan Tan is the opening step in our effort to liberate nations around the Mediterranean Sea from Axis control; in particular, Operation Tinderbox focuses on the liberation of North Africa, presently under Italian control. We chose North Africa as the site of our opening offensive in Southern Europe in response to Italy's relentless advance through the Middle East - and due to the weakness of the Italian army relative to the Wehrmacht. War Plan Tan is designed to accomplish the following objectives:

1. Neutralize the Italian army.
2. Create a foothold for future potential operations in southern Europe.
3. Close the crucial Axis trade artery of the Suez Canal.

We have divided Operation Tinderbox into two components:
  • Operation Antipasti, the amphibious assault and subsequent occupation of strategic ports in the Western Mediterranean;
  • Operation Schiltrom, our counteroffensive in Libya and Egypt west of the Suez Canal;

Order of Battle Changes

The only change to Southern Command's OOB is that the 2nd Bomber Squadron will absorb the 13th and 4th USAAF Tactical Bomber Wings. Local commanders should bear in mind that the U.S. Marine Corps will only be attached to Atlantic Southern Command until Gibraltar has been secured.

Operational Plan: Invasion of North Africa

Operation Antipasti

As soon as Transport Group Bull Moose reaches Plymouth, it will be split into two squadrons of three transport flotillas each; one of these flotillas will merge with Transport Group Longhorn, while the other carries our three Marine divisions to the Straits of Gibraltar, where they will launch an amphibious assault on Gibraltar. Once Gibraltar has been secured, Bull Moose will carry the Marines to San Diego, where they will be returned to the control of the Pacific Theater.

Throughout this operation, SAG Tennessee will remain in the Gibraltar Strait, to defend the landings from potential Regia Marina counterattacks. Regrettably, due to a lack of Mediterranean air bases, our air forces will remain in England during this operation.

Operation Schiltrom

In light of the Italian advance across the Suez Canal, and their impending conquest of Iraq, Operation Phalanx will be replaced by Operation Schiltrom.

After the conclusion of Antipasti, all the forces of Atlantic Southern Command will be transported to Gibraltar. Once this transportation is complete, we will land forces in North Africa, with Second Army's forces landing in Libya and Fourth Army's forces landing in Egypt. Landings will occur as follows:

• Second Army, 10th Corps: landing at Homs, east of Tripoli, and attacking Tripoli.
  • Second Army, 11th Corps: landing at Ez Zauia, west of Tripoli, and attacking Tripoli.
  • Second Army, 5th Corps: landing at Tocra and Agedabia, north and south of Bengazi, and attacking Bengazi.
  • Second Army, 3rd Armored Corps: landing at Zliten, west of Misurata, and attacking Misurata.
  • Fourth Army, 6th Corps: landing at El Hammam, west of Alexandria. 2 divisions attack Alexandria (El Iskandariya), 2 divisions move to Ezbet Abu Keifu and attack Alexandria.
  • Fourth Army, 9th Corps: landing at Rashid, east of Alexandria. 2 divisions attack Alexandria, 2 divisions move to Kafr el Shiekh and attack Alexandria.
  • Fourth Army, 12th Corps: landing at Dumyat, west of Bur Sa'id. 1 division attacks Bur Sa'id, 1 divisions moves to El Mansura and attacks Bur Sa'id, 2 divisions move to Ismail'ya and attack Bur Sa'id.
  • Fourth Army, 4th Armored Corps: landing at Bardia, east of Tobruk (Tobruch) and attacking Tobruch.

Once all of the above ports have been secured, command of Operation Schiltrom will be transferred to General Devers. Devers' objectives will be to secure Bur Sa'id, Ismail'ya, El Suweis, and Cairo (El Qahira) as quickly as possible and using all the assets at his disposal ((objectives at the listed provinces, Blitzing Stance, Air/Naval Offensive)). If Italian forces fail to respond, Atlantic Southern Command may, at the discretion of local commanders, also seize Romani and begin an offensive into the Sinai Peninsula, with objectives at Nizzane Sinay and Elat.

SAGs Tennessee and New York will patrol the waters off Libya and Egypt respectively ((Patrol missions on East Central Mediterranean Sea and Coast of Egypt respectively)), assisting our coastal offensives with fire support and preventing Italian ships from landing as reinforcements. Once Alexandria has been secured, the 2nd Bomber Squadron will commence infrastructure bombing in the Middle East, to prevent an Italian counterattack, while the 2nd and 4th Fighter Squadrons will run air superiority missions over Libya and Egypt to the edge of their available range.

Proposed: General Devers, C-in-C Atlantic Southern Command
Seconded: General MacArthur, C-in-C Atlantic Theater
Approved: General Craig, Chief of Staff of the United States Army; Admiral Standley, Chief of Naval Operations; Secretary Grumman, Commander-in-Chief of the United States Army Air Force; Secretary Cox, Secretary of War

Last edited:
A bold plan General Devers has come up with. Should we coordinate this operation to coincide with Operation Fortitude? It would keep the Axis powers split and not allow them to overwhelm one operation and force them to react to both. I would be willing to entertain this as neither operation used any of the same forces and General Devers and I get along superbly!

General Stillwell C-inC Atlantic Northern Command

General MacArthur,

I have ordered Admiral Leahy to distribute plans for Operation Tinderbox to all Senators. ((It's on the front page, in other words. ;))) I would like to personally thank you for your indispensable assistance as Theater Commander -- Atlantic. In recognition of your service -- and to right a great wrong -- I have personally signed a Presidential pardon for whatever may have happened. I cannot reappoint you as Chief of the Army, mostly because I believe General Craig has done a superb job, but I hope this will ease your conscience as we fight this war.

President Wendell Willkie

((Saithis, any plans for the Pacific Theater? son of liberty, what about a new IC and leadership distribution? Tom, if you have any recommendations, go ahead and share them in thread; maybe that will get things jump started. Voting on German DOW closes tomorrow at 10 PM CST (-6 GMT).

((For some reason, my ISP does not like media fire. I am unable to download from it. Can you pm me the save or email it? Thanks))

I approve Operation Tinderbox. But perhaps we librate all of Egypt right now instead of just the Suez Canal? Also I agree with Senator Elexis Sinclaire on what to do with Germany.

Senator Randall McGeehan Jr.

((For some reason, my ISP does not like media fire. I am unable to download from it. Can you pm me the save or email it? Thanks))

((Can do.))

EDIT: Has anybody else had problems downloading saves that wants to/needs to?

(( Sorry Avindian, I've been super busy and my attention super divided. I'll try and work something up. Really would love it if anyone out there was willing to take over the Pacific Theatre, just a reminder. ))

(( Sorry Avindian, I've been super busy and my attention super divided. I'll try and work something up. Really would love it if anyone out there was willing to take over the Pacific Theatre, just a reminder. ))

((Understood. I'll add my own voice. Nobody wants to take this on? All you need is a copy of HOI3 and a working knowledge of the game. Even if you're somewhat n00bish, we have the Chiefs, who have to approve plans, to act as a filter in case you do something really dumb. I'm hardly the greatest HOI player who ever lived. ;)))

As far as gameyness is concerned, I personally think that just rebasing to the UK is totally fine. The time saved is negligible. Unless there's a great hue and cry against it, I see no reason not to go with the easier solution.

First and foremost, we are going to fight in Norway yet we still lack arctic equipment. I recommend that tech be added and prioritized.

Regarding the builds. I suggest that we leave the current build queue as is, and allocate our ic as such. This is with all laws implemented except total economy which would give us another +25% ic, but a significant cash reduction. Do we need money? If not, then I recommend we adopt that law as well.

((I've just finished catching up on the thread, and let me say, brilliant stuff! Is there any way someone could join this in the show?))

((I've just finished catching up on the thread, and let me say, brilliant stuff! Is there any way someone could join this in the show?))

Absolutely; we're looking for a Pacific Theater Commander, but if that doesn't suit your tastes, we have lots of room for Senators. Check the first post for instructions on joining.

First and foremost, we are going to fight in Norway yet we still lack arctic equipment. I recommend that tech be added and prioritized.

Regarding the builds. I suggest that we leave the current build queue as is, and allocate our ic as such. This is with all laws implemented except total economy which would give us another +25% ic, but a significant cash reduction. Do we need money? If not, then I recommend we adopt that law as well.

Secretary Wagner, I do appreciate your thoughts on IC. Should we keep leadership as is? Chiefs, do you have any comments about the Secretary's recommendations?

President Willkie

Mr. President,

It is both a distinct honor and a privilege for me to accept your nomination for the post of Pacific Theatre Commander. I do so, with full cognizance of the responsibilities of said post, as well as the difficult journey that lies ahead. There is no higher honor for a soldier to be both the Shield, and in time, the Hammer of the Republic. Assuming that the Senate deems me worthy of my assignment, I will gladly assume my duties effective immediately.

I have brought with me today, Mr. President, a copy of my recommended deployments for the Pacific Theater, as well as Construction Requests (Appendix I) and Strategic Outlook (Appendix II). Please find the attached sections at the end of my report. If you have any questions or concerns, I stand ready to answer them at any time, Sir.

Your O’bst Servant,

General Omar N. Bradley, C-in-C Pacific Theatre (Designate)

Operation Buckler​

Given the desire to concentrate our forces on the Atlantic Front, both in North Africa and in Scandinavia, the likely availability of forces in the Pacific Theatre will be less than require for large scale offensive operations. My planning staff wholeheartedly agrees with the necessity of keeping the Suez open to British and Allied shipping, with the objective of preventing the collapse of the front in India. As such, Operation Buckler will be primarily defensive in nature, focusing on drawing the IJN across the ocean into our defensive line, where we can concentrate our numerically inferior fleet against them.

This is in light of the following considerations:
-Lack of transport/airlift capabilities in the Pacific Theatre
-Lack of available fighter cover for our Surface Action Groups
-Relatively short range of our Naval Bombers
-Current deployments, both of our troops and our allies, mean that we will not have troops in position to absorb their blow
-Current build scheme will mean that we will bolster our OOB in the coming months, as well as open up room for further production requests

I have prepared two variants of Operation Buckler for your consideration.

Operation Buckler A will concentrate our fleets and naval bombers around the Midway-Wake island chain, and seek to interdict any Japanese forces utilizing the Kwalijan island group as a staging point. Our submarines will interdict Japanese convoys, wearing them down. We will redeploy the Pacific Battle Group under General Eisenhower to Midway, ready to support offensive operations by our Marine Corps. Following the destruction/repelling of the enemy fleet, our Marines will proceed to clear the island group south of Midway to begin our march westwards.

Operation Buckler B will focus on a more forward defense, seeking to run reinforcements through the IJN to reinforce the currently undefended Philippines, as well as seeking to take Saipan as a forward operating base. Given current force dispersals, this operation does not come with the recommendation of either myself or my staff.

One action that my staff recommends taking immediately is to withdraw the Nevada SAG eastwards. Given its current position and consequent lack of air support, it is extremely vulnerable to Japanese air power. ((Unless it is intended as a sacrificial lamb, in which case, disregard.))

As our new production rolls off the line in the next eight to nine months, we will again reclaim out master of the high seas. Given the current British strength in South-East Asia vis a vis the Siamese, they will not need reinforcement immediately. However, once the Japanese are given time to redeploy forces currently engaged in China, this may become necessary. Units from General Eisenhower command, being forward deployed, would be well suited for this role.

Appendix I-Construction Requests

We request that follow on production runs of carriers continue once this current build is completed. We also request increased production of screening ships (to replace ships as they are damaged or destroyed, so that we might continue our offensive drive) and to a lesser extent transports. Furthermore, we would find it beneficial to have three more divisions of Marines, as well as long range fighters to give our ships protection from enemy CAGs and land-based aircraft.

Appendix II-Strategic Outlook

We fully acknowledge that the forecast for the Pacific Theater in the coming is grim. However, we are confident that as our production rolls off the line and the IJN wears itself against our defenses, we will be able to seize the initiative.

((Let me know what you guys think!))

I say aim to annex the Reich. However, we shouldn't occupy Europe for too long. Liberate Germany eventually, and when we do, don't deprive them of pre-1939 Eastern border. Let's not cause WWIII.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

Though it greatly pains me to find common ground with a Republican - and, worse yet, a Yankee! - I must agree to Senator Sinclaire's eminently sensible proposal. We must ensure that Germany is totally cleansed of Nazi influence, and - regrettably - only complete (if temporary) annexation will enable us to bring the Nazis to justice; annexing Germany will also enable us to restore Czechoslovakia, Austria, Yugoslavia, and Greece to their rightful place among the commonwealth of nations.

- Senator Stephen McCarthy (D-TX)

((Are the post-war FRG/DDR events still in FTM? If not - and maybe even if they are - we should start discussing plans for remaking post-war Europe, since I imagine it will take a long time to work out all the details.))

General MacArthur,

I have ordered Admiral Leahy to distribute plans for Operation Tinderbox to all Senators. ((It's on the front page, in other words. ;))) I would like to personally thank you for your indispensable assistance as Theater Commander -- Atlantic. In recognition of your service -- and to right a great wrong -- I have personally signed a Presidential pardon for whatever may have happened. I cannot reappoint you as Chief of the Army, mostly because I believe General Craig has done a superb job, but I hope this will ease your conscience as we fight this war.

President Wendell Willkie

Mr. President, I understand completely that I can never be reappointed to my former position; I respect General Craig greatly, and wish him all the best in his new position.

As for the events that transpired during those dark days in 1937, I became concerned that the Congress might become such a grave threat to American democracy that the only method of protecting our liberty would be to enact a state of emergency, temporarily granting the President indefinite power, in order to combat the threat of totalitarianism corrupting the hallowed halls of the Capitol. As outlandish as this idea sounds, bear in mind that the 75th Congress was a very different beast than the august body it is today: at the time, a significant portion of the Congress paid allegiance to either Communism or Fascism, making the possibility of a foreign-sponsored coup a genuine threat. Had either Stalin or Hitler opted to "convince" America to their twisted ideology, I would have led the United States Army to maintain Constitutional order in our nation, forming a caretaker government that would protect the nation until true democracy could be restored.

Fortunately for us all, President Roosevelt convinced me that our democracy needed no protection - that, ultimately, the American people would see the light, perceive those traitors for what they were, and that the road I contemplated - of "saving democracy from itself" would make me no better than the men I sought to defeat. In the end, he was right, for the dictators abroad eventually revealed their true natures: Mussolini's bloody conquest of Ethiopia, Hitler's enslavement of Austria and Czechoslovakia, Tojo's wars in China, Stalin's assault on Finland, and the unholy partition of Poland between Fascism and Communism ultimately purged the totalitarian factions in our nation... and left our democracy standing stronger than ever.

By that time, of course, the Congress knew that I had made plans to suspend its authority and create a de facto presidential dictatorship - and so I was tried fairly and convicted justly. Had President Roosevelt not intervened on my behalf, I would have faced the noose... but instead, Congress delegated my sentence to a court-martial, which acquitted me of treason and confirmed that all my actions were done for America's survival, rather than for my own ambition. Of course, as you no doubt know, I can no longer serve in the Cabinet - Congress will never permit my return to any office it controls - and the scandal ultimately led to President Roosevelt's defeat against you in the 1940 election.

Mr. President, neither he nor I bear you any ill will for your success - indeed, you are a man of the highest character, and I have no doubt you and he would get along famously were it not for your unfortunate political differences. And so, having given my full confession of the events that led to my political exile, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for finally cleansing this taint from my honor.

With all that said, Mr. President, the war awaits.

With undying gratitude,
General Douglas Arthur MacArthur

((I'm glad I never actually had to pull a coup - I'd probably have drowned in all the details. Anyway, now that I've finally posted what I should have posted back during the trial sequence, everything's settled - just in time for the war.)))

((As far as gameyness is concerned, I personally think that just rebasing to the UK is totally fine. The time saved is negligible. Unless there's a great hue and cry against it, I see no reason not to go with the easier solution.))

((Excellent. I figured I'd include alternatives in case just shipping them there was too gamey, but I imagine the direct route will make things much more convenient for you. :)))

Secretary Wagner, I do appreciate your thoughts on IC. Should we keep leadership as is? Chiefs, do you have any comments about the Secretary's recommendations?

President Willkie
Regarding leadership. Do we really need espionage, aside from home front defense, and diplomacy now? I recommend reducing both to .25 and reducing research to 30. All remaining points to officer recruitment until max of 150% is reached.

General Bradley, welcome. We have built significant facilities in Wake, Guam, Midway, Pearl and Sunset(the other side of Pearl). Might I suggest placing strong garrisons to ensure we do not lose those forward facilities?

I agree with pulling the SAG back to Pearl Harbor.

A second consideration is the Philippines. Do we desire to hold it? or should we sacrifice them and return when we are stronger? I suggest that we hold the northern island of Luzon which has the largest concentration of facilities, ic, people and resources iirc. I suspect that offensive operations in the Pacific will be put on hold for the near future, however Japan is an island nation. We should consider adopting the German tactic of interdicting their shipping, thus depriving their industry of precious resources and reducing Japanese capacity to supply their troops in the field.

In closing General, I wish you the best of luck in your command.
Secretary of War

Last edited: