Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 260

Thread: A House Divided on Steam? (You do not need to patch Steam Version)

  1. #1
    Courtier Sam L's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War
    Crusader Kings II: Way of Life

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At court in Melun, Paris
    Posts
    1,443

    A House Divided on Steam? (You do not need to patch Steam Version)

    I'm switching to Steam from Gamersgate and I need to know if I can buy AHD on Steam? I bought the original as a boxed version from the Paradox Web Shop.

    Thanks.
    Traits: Thrifty clerk, Poet, Kind, Deceitful, Charitable, Wroth, Proud, Ambitious, Arbitrary, Homosexual, Zealot

  2. #2
    I would quite like to know this as well. It is not there right now.

  3. #3
    First Lieutenant
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDungeonlandEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossThe Kings CrusadeMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    215
    Paradox Titles normally go on steam when it is released.

  4. #4
    I've been a PC gamer now for over 20 years and my greatest pleasure has been strategy games. When I discovered Paradox some years ago I thought I'd hit the motherlode. However, I refuse to buy any more games that are infected with Steam.
    Call me old fashioned but when I've paid good money for a game which I intend playing on my PC - not multiplayer, I do not want to have to connect to a third party to determine whether I can play it.
    Sadly it seems like PC gaming is coming to an end and it's the publishers who are intent on destroying it. Just look at the Total War series -ruined by the connection with Steam (just look at user reviews). I've still got Empire Total War unplayed on my shelf after paying 25 on release as Steam wouldn't let me play it and as I'd already registered it I couldn't even sell it.
    Sorry to be so negative but it's sad to see another of my favourite stretagy games producers going down the same route. I for one will not be buying any more PC games that have any connection with Steam.

  5. #5
    Benevolent Imperialist flame7926's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado
    Posts
    2,218
    For Paradox games on Steam you dont have to be connected to steam to play it, just download it.

  6. #6
    Yeah, steam only requires a connection for multiplayer and download. You do not need to even have an internet connection to play games from them you downloaded all the files are saved on your computer

  7. #7
    Major masteriw's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Campinas, Brazil
    Posts
    511
    I think some people just want to vent their anger at something sometimes, and Steam's nature means that it is always going to be a natural target for such hatred.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by smeagolthevile View Post
    Yeah, steam only requires a connection for multiplayer and download. You do not need to even have an internet connection to play games from them you downloaded all the files are saved on your computer
    Some games actually don't work without an Internet connection, but many (including Paradox) work fine. It's still not much of a gripe, since a PC gamer who isn't connected to the Internet these days is clearly insane (or suffering from a temporary setback). Steam is pretty convenient and the sales are great, it's not very intrusive and it's a great way to organize multiplayer matches with friends. People who don't like it are people with a painful allergy to DRM in general, even extremely non-invasive DRM.

    But to answer the question and stay on-topic, AHD on Steam will not work without a Steam copy of Victoria II. Paradox expansions never come with their own .exe, so Steam treats them as DLC. Iirc Crusader Kings 2 and onward won't even have expansions, just tons of smaller DLC releases so people can pick which new features they want and Paradox can get them out faster and cheaper.

  9. #9
    Rough Writer aprof's Avatar
    Darkest HourHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessHoi 2 Beta500k club

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    2,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolstak View Post
    But to answer the question and stay on-topic, AHD on Steam will not work without a Steam copy of Victoria II. Paradox expansions never come with their own .exe, so Steam treats them as DLC. Iirc Crusader Kings 2 and onward won't even have expansions, just tons of smaller DLC releases so people can pick which new features they want and Paradox can get them out faster and cheaper.
    So... for those who bought a hard copy of Victoria 2 from amazon.com, where will AHD be available?
    Victoria Improvements Project
    Diario de Mexico - awarded the VictoriAARn Cross "Best Beta AAR"

  10. #10
    Waffles & Counterwaffles Felicity's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur II
    Lead and GoldMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IIStarvoidVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brabant
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by redvers View Post
    I
    Sadly it seems like PC gaming is coming to an end and it's the publishers who are intent on destroying it. Just look at the Total War series -ruined by the connection with Steam (just look at user reviews). I've still got Empire Total War unplayed on my shelf after paying 25 on release as Steam wouldn't let me play it and as I'd already registered it I couldn't even sell it.
    I just wanted to point out that if you haven't played it how do you know it's ruined?
    User reviews are not relevant. I had loads of fun with Empire. It had a lot of buggy issues, but that was CA's fault, not Steam's. Why wouldn't it let you play it? There's got to be some logical reason.

  11. #11
    Field Marshal grommile's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionMarch of the EaglesVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northampton, England (in 237)
    Posts
    7,153
    Quote Originally Posted by aprof View Post
    So... for those who bought a hard copy of Victoria 2 from amazon.com, where will AHD be available?
    Through any of several online digital-download services that aren't Steam. I buy Paradox games from Gamersgate, whose delivery mechanism dishes up an unmodified version of the product that you don't have to jump through hoops to apply beta patches to.
    If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.

    Ask your quick modding questions in the appropriate place

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by grommile View Post
    Through any of several online digital-download services that aren't Steam. I buy Paradox games from Gamersgate, whose delivery mechanism dishes up an unmodified version of the product that you don't have to jump through hoops to apply beta patches to.
    GamersGate may be the only version of the game that doesn't use Steam, if CK2 is setting the precedent, though I wouldn't be surprised if they find some way to let people with boxed copies register their games on Steam so they can get the expansion that way. And applying beta patches on Steam is as easy as applying them to any other version: you unzip them and send them to the directory.

  13. #13
    Reichsmarschall Paradox Dev Team Darkrenown's Avatar
    Paradoxian Order - 2015

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Berlin Destaliniation plant
    Posts
    23,585
    Some stuff:

    AFAIK AHD will be on Steam.

    Steam is not required for AHD, in fact none of our internally made games require Steam. CK2 comes closest with the boxed version needing Steam activation, but there is still a non-Steam downloadable version on GG.

    If you bought V2 somewhere besides Steam I don't think you can buy AHD on Steam as it will tell you you need Base V2 to play it. Steam does have a feature which allows you to add non-Steam games to your Steam libary, but I have not tried doing this and then buying addons via Steam. It's possible that it might work, but I cannot promise that it will.
    Relentless madman.

  14. #14
    I dunno about you guys but I just run a shortcut of the V2.exe and it doesn't go through steam... You don't have to launch this game through steam.

  15. #15
    First Lieutenant Kokomorari's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fez
    Posts
    236
    I never use steam for launching unless I have to (FM 2012) other than that it's just for downloading purposes.

  16. #16
    General Hibernian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Rome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneCrusader Kings II: Way of Life

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    2,169
    Quote Originally Posted by redvers View Post
    Call me old fashioned...
    You're old fashioned. Steam doesn't interfere with the game at all.


    Anyway you don't need to use Steam at all to play VIC2, just download the game on Steam and then go into the Steam folder and copy and paste the game files to somewhere else on your computer and play it from there. Steam not needed.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by redvers View Post
    I've been a PC gamer now for over 20 years and my greatest pleasure has been strategy games. When I discovered Paradox some years ago I thought I'd hit the motherlode. However, I refuse to buy any more games that are infected with Steam.
    Call me old fashioned but when I've paid good money for a game which I intend playing on my PC - not multiplayer, I do not want to have to connect to a third party to determine whether I can play it.
    Sadly it seems like PC gaming is coming to an end and it's the publishers who are intent on destroying it. Just look at the Total War series -ruined by the connection with Steam (just look at user reviews). I've still got Empire Total War unplayed on my shelf after paying 25 on release as Steam wouldn't let me play it and as I'd already registered it I couldn't even sell it.
    Sorry to be so negative but it's sad to see another of my favourite stretagy games producers going down the same route. I for one will not be buying any more PC games that have any connection with Steam.
    Im sorry to say that you are either going to have to adopt, or stop playing computer games at all. Physical discs, and stores are soon going to be a thing of the past. The future of gaming distribution lies in digital shops such as steam.
    Also i dont understand the problems people are having with steam. Steam is an excellent shop, and does not intrude on your privacy what so ever, unless you choose to play on VAC secured servers in games like TF2 wich will allow steam to see what programs you are running in order to find cheat program.
    If the problem lies with you not having stable connections, or having download limits then yes i feel for you. But whining about steam, GG and other digital distributors is not going to solve your problems. The responsible thing to do in that case is to pressure your goverments to remove download limits and to expand the civil broadband connections.

    Also most steam games only requires a connection to activate the game on your account, not to actually play the game..

  18. #18
    Colonel Theddude's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Damorte View Post
    Im sorry to say that you are either going to have to adopt, or stop playing computer games at all. Physical discs, and stores are soon going to be a thing of the past. The future of gaming distribution lies in digital shops such as steam.
    Also i dont understand the problems people are having with steam. Steam is an excellent shop, and does not intrude on your privacy what so ever, unless you choose to play on VAC secured servers in games like TF2 wich will allow steam to see what programs you are running in order to find cheat program.
    If the problem lies with you not having stable connections, or having download limits then yes i feel for you. But whining about steam, GG and other digital distributors is not going to solve your problems. The responsible thing to do in that case is to pressure your goverments to remove download limits and to expand the civil broadband connections.

    Also most steam games only requires a connection to activate the game on your account, not to actually play the game..
    +1

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrenown View Post
    If you bought V2 somewhere besides Steam I don't think you can buy AHD on Steam as it will tell you you need Base V2 to play it. Steam does have a feature which allows you to add non-Steam games to your Steam libary, but I have not tried doing this and then buying addons via Steam. It's possible that it might work, but I cannot promise that it will.
    It depends on how you do it, there are two ways to add boxed games to your library.
    The first is to "add non-steam games," which allows you to launch non-Steam games with the Steam overlay, so you have access to your friends list, web browser, etc. without minimizing. It doesn't really add them to your library, because it doesn't count as owning the game on Steam and it doesn't track playtime.
    The other is to actually register a game on Steam with its CD-key. I don't think Paradox games support this, but if they do, it's functionally identical to buying the game on Steam (DLC will work, you can write recommendations, etc.).

  20. #20
    Just copy-pasta the game files to your C:/. I use steam, I bought the game on steam, and I play Vicki II almost aevery day. but I haven't played Victoria II on steam in months.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts