• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Kilo should give the americans a pain in the ass! American anti-submarine warfare against diesel-electric subs is apparently begining to lag.
Not particularly.

Tomahawks were developed in 70-ies. B-52s were developed in 50ies and Nimitz class carriers were developed in late 60-ies. A lot of western "modern" weapons are just upgraded version based on a 50 year old technology.
The key word here being upgraded. The Iranians (and large parts of other potentially hostile militaries) haven't got the skills or means to do that. And that being said, there are plenty of new things coming out.

The key word is that Iranians upgraded the ancient soviet junk too (Although at the time it was made the soviet stuff was formidable too). Like JanH said, it's more about to what levels they upgraded their stuff. Maybe not state of art but it's sure isn't the same old technology any more.

The fact that Serbians shot down the state of art stealth F-117 with just visual observation by people with cell phones already tells something about how to counter high tech stuff.

The brits always lose their pride of the fleet type of ships in opening engagements. When will they learn ;)
Hood or Repulse anyone? The falklands perhaps?

Last edited:
The brits always lose their pride of the fleet type of ships in opening engagements. When will they learn ;)
Hood or Repulse anyone? The falklands perhaps?

Erm, which "pride of the fleet" did Britain lose in the Falklands?

I can imagine on board daring:

Captain: With a proper CIWS this time nobody will sink this fine British vessel
*Iran fire 40 howitzers hidden on it's shores"
Captain: aw, damn!

Actually with better and better anti missile protection, I wonder if naval guns would soon become a reality once more...

Wasn't a type 42 (a direct predecessor of type 45) sunk in the Falklands by a single missile?
We lost 2 destroyers, 2 frigates, 1 LSL landing ship, 1 LCU amphibious craft and 1 container ship primarily (in my opinion) due to virtually no credible AEW capability and poor anti-aircraft and anti-missile systems. We didn't however lose any "pride of the fleet" type ships.

I can imagine on board daring:

Captain: With a proper CIWS this time nobody will sink this fine British vessel
*Iran fire 40 howitzers hidden on it's shores"
Captain: aw, damn!

Actually with better and better anti missile protection, I wonder if naval guns would soon become a reality once more...
I think US Navy tests in 1999 proved that the current AEGIS system can track artillery shells, I don't see why PAAMS couldn't. Artillerymen have already perfected sensor software that can locate the origin of small projectiles (could PAAMS intercept an artillery shell if it can track an object the size of a cricket ball travelling at many times the speed of sound?). The T45's can evaluate the speed, size, and trajectory of ascending projectiles ashore and immediately target missile launchers, howitzers, mortars, and even anti-aircraft guns.

The British army has a radar system that allows them to track small to large projectiles (as small as mortar rounds) and track their trajectory + where the shells were fired from which is then linked up to what where artillery is available allowing return fire. Whats the most amazing thing is that the entire system is automatic. My brother who maintenance helicopters in Afgan for a bit before joining the navy said that almost as soon as they heard the alarm for incoming mortar shells British artillery at the base would return fire. I wouldn't be surprised if British and American ships didn't carry a similar system tbh.

With the US 5th Fleet in addition to the Combined Task Forces 150+151+152+158 I can't say that I'd really advise the Iranians to engage in any sort of naval confrontation. Even in a best case scenario for them, they'd probably lose their entire surface fleet in about a week in exchange for sinking a handful of ships of countries that can actually absorb those losses. They MIGHT be able to hide their submarines for a little while, but I'd be thoroughly surprised if their 3 Kilos weren't being shadowed 24/7 by western submarines. The rest of their submarines aren't really built for naval combat but are mini-subs used mainly for mining and infiltration.

Midge is correct... any batteries that would fire on the modern fleets would be unlikely to get more than one shot off, and it's unlikely that their aiming would be advanced enough to have a realistic chance of landing very many hits. But if I'm wrong on that point they'd inflict some damage, anti-artillery is extremely unreliable right now. I do have to wonder if this is a bluff, or if Iran is just horribly underestimating the European and North American navies.

Tracking it is one thing, countering it is another. What method would it use to shoot down a shell of all things? Has that even being tried in any tests?

Irondome.
Skyshield
Giraffe + CRAM
Phalanx

All deployed in this role now in a land capacity for many years shooting down rockets, mortars and the odd shell.

Last edited: