• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

patiofurniture

Sergeant
38 Badges
Mar 24, 2011
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
flag.jpg

The Orange Free State - 1936

2011-12-19_00105.jpg

oranje-1936.jpg

Will be posting more soon! :D I thank you all for your patience!
The Current State of Affairs:
This alternate world in 1936 is a very different place. The small, but prosperous and thriving south African republic, the Orange Free State is coming off the heels of a victorious war over the French and Portuguese. This tiny nation, dubbed the "America of Africa" now has access to the sea and a new colonial territory to assimilate. A new "Golden Age" is proclaimed in the capital of Bloemfontein, yet darkness looms on the horizon...the nation of France embarrassed by their latest defeat against the Orange Free State in 1932 and still greatly affected by six years of a devastating and brutal civil war, has just seen Fascists under the calm motto of "All United For France", come to power. Britain, their empire "reorganized into a Commonwealth" (aka broken up) 11 years ago, is now plagued by political infighting and labor strikes, seems unable to tackle the concerns of the world...More to come!

Major Points in Oranjean History (Chapters):
1836-1859: The Birth of a Republic
1860: Treaty of London
1861-1864: Boer War - Annexation of Transvaal
1879-1887: Growth, Industrialization, and Prosperity
1887: Gold Rush!
1888-1908: A truly "Golden Era"
1908: Orange River Convention - Treaty of Bloemfontein
1910: Transvaali Nationalist Uprising
1913: "Die Groot Nasionale Vergadering" - A New Constitution & Weighted Universal Voting
1917: The Mbabane (Swazi) Rebellion
March 1923-January 1924: "War Over Africa" - Britain & her Allies vs. France & her allies
June-October 1923: Communist Uprising
November 12, 1923: Treaty of Noordstad - Peace with France
1924-1931: Growth and Renewal
May 1931- May 1933: War with France and Portugal!
1936: A bright future?

Author's Note:
What a fun game this was and interesting world history! I will be working on the above chapters and I ask for patience, but I promise I will finish it all. I tried to achieve world acclaim, yet also remain within somewhat realistic/historical boundaries. I've also adjusted certain people, places, and things for this AAR to fit within somewhat historical contexts as Vicky2 isn't 100% accurate. Ask any questions yoyou may have!

My goals for the game:
1. A true democratic republic in South Africa - Afrikaner dominated, yet inclusion & tolerance of immigrants and local peoples
2. Military/Industrial/Cultural Advancement
3. Peace with England at all costs
4. "The Long Game" ...long term survival in my thinking 100% of the time

Last edited:

The Orange Free State

za-orang.gif

Brief Overview

Constitution & Government

Population & Citizenship

Total Population: 11.74 Million

By 1936, the majority of those living in the Free State are in fact white or coloured. The native African population numbers only around 42%. Oranjean Citizenship was defined after the Boer Civil War in 1864 when all Boer, from both the Free State and the former Transvaal, and white Afrikaners and immigrants (Uitlanders) were simply considered “Oranjean”. A 1879 High Court ruling defined protections for all immigrants and Indian/Asian citizens. Citizenship was further defined for Griqua, Bruin Afrikaners (coloured) and Blacks after a High Court ruling in 1912 and then for persons regardless of race or color in the new 1913 Constitution. There are two primary sources of citizenship: birthright citizenship, in which a person is presumed to be a citizen provided that he or she is born within the territorial limits of the Free State, and naturalization, a process in which an immigrant applies for citizenship and is accepted. The 1936 requirements for naturalization as a Oranje Free State citizen depend on whether or not one is the spouse or civil partner of an Oranjean citizen.
An applicant who is a spouse or civil partner of a Oranjean citizen must:
-hold “indefinite leave to remain” status in the Free State
-have lived legally in the Free State for three years
-been outside of the Free State no more than 90 days during the one-year period prior to filing the application.
-show sufficient knowledge of life in the Free State , attending combined Afrikaans language and citizenship classes. Proof of this must be supplied with one's application for naturalisation. Those aged 65 or over may be able to claim exemption.
-meet specified Afrikaans language competence standards.

For those not spouses or civil partners of Oranjean citizens the requirements are:
-at least eight years legal residence in the Free State
-been outside of the Free State no more than 90 days during the one-year period prior to filing the application.
-indefinite leave to remain or equivalent must have been held for 12 months
-the applicant must intend to continue to live in the Free State or work overseas for the Free State government or a Free State corporation or association.
-the same language and knowledge of life in the Free State standards apply as for those married to Oranjean citizens

All applicants for naturalisation must be of "good character". Naturalisation is at the discretion of the State Secretary but is normally granted if the requirements are met.

1936 Census – Eligible Adult Males - Age 19+ - for Conscription & Voting purposes

Majority Groups:
Oranjean (Boer, “Wit” and “Bruin” Afrikaners, Griqua) – 1,494,108 (50.82%)
Sotho – 356,034 (12.11%)
Shona – 297,234 (10.11%)
Nguni – 279,300 (9.5%)
Tonga – 138,180 (4.7%)

Minority & Immigrant Groups:
Portuguese – 82,319 (2.8%) (entire group to be granted full citizenship in 1938)
British (Australian, Canadian, Cape British, English, Kiwi [NZ], Scottish, Welsh) – 55,860 (1.9%)
German (North, South) - 44,072 (1.49%)
Tswana – 41,160 (1.4%)
Indian (Awadhi, Bengali Hindus, Gujariti, Kannadigas, Maghrebi, Manipuri, Marathi) – 37,728 (1.28%)
French – (French, French African, French Canadian) 35,280 (1.2%)
Bushmen/African Minors – 27,311 (0.92%)
Zulu – 17,429 (0.59%)
Makua – 5,599 (0.19%)
Russian – 4,751 (0.16%)
Walloons – 4,743 (0.16%)
Chinese (Manchu, Yao) – 3,231 (0.10%)
Sena – 2,771 (0.09%)
Spanish – 2,395 (0.08%)
Bakongo – 2,123 (0.07%)
Danish – 1,179 (0.04%)
Southern Italian – 1,067 (0.03%)
Irish – 944 (0.03%)
Moluccan (Nuaulu, Manusela) – 703 (0.02%)
Ovimbundo – 700 (0.02%)
Flemish – 561 (0.01%)

Climate

The Free State experiences a continental climate, characterised by warm to hot summers and cool to cold winters. Areas in the east experience frequent snowfalls, especially on the higher ranges, whilst the west can be extremely hot in summer. Almost all precipitation falls in the summer months as brief afternoon thunderstorms, with aridity increasing towards the west. The capital, Bloemfontein, experiences hot, moist summers and cold, dry winters frequented by severe frost.
Bloemfontein averages: January maximum: 31 °C (min: 15 °C), July maximum: 17 °C (min: -2 °C)

Chief Cities & Towns

African "Tuislande"

Communication & Transport

Largely owing to being centrally located in Southern Africa, between Durban and Kimberley - the Free State possesses an extensive network of railways. The railways are state owned and of the “Free State” or Indian gauge-5 ft. 6 in. Indian gauge was used as early as 1848 in the development of the Free State. A wider gauge is far superior for a variety of reasons. The railways may be divided into two systems, those connecting the entire Free State and those linking it to British possessions to the West and the South African Free State to Natal in the East and Capetown in the South.
The first Free State Line traverses the province from south to north, passing through Bloemfontein and Kroonstad, and enters the Transvaal at Viljoens Drift (331 m. from Norvals Pont), being continued thence to Pretoria. In 1885, two parallel lines were built from Bloemfontein running west to Kimberley, a small British province. A third line was built in the 1890’s towards Noordstad (Harare) in the Zambezi Province. Every eight to ten years, the Free State government would invest heavily in upgrading the rail lines to be at best on par with the British Rail services in neighboring provinces. In 1936 there were in all 5060 m. of railway open in the province.

Although limited in number there are a few well-kept “highway” roads connecting the large cities. There is also an extensive telegraphic and telephonic system and a well-organized postal service. There are only two main radio stations in the Free State.

Agriculture, Industry, & Mining

The Orange Free State is host to many industries including: liquor, wine, agriculture, luxury furniture & clothing, electric gear, fertilizer, and canned food. Currently over 529,000 people are employed in factories across the Free State.

Breakdown:
Agricultural: 49.8%
Industrial: 35.4%
Mining: 14.6%

Wool - 16.78%
Liquor - 15.74%
Grain: 15.22%
Fabric - 11.61%
Precious Metal Mining - 9.37%
Wine - 9.01%
Tobacco - 5.96%
Ammunition - 3.26%
Livestock - 2.83%
Iron - 2.82%
Coal - 2.45%
Regular Clothing - 2.34%
Electric Gear/Parts - 1.02%
Furniture - 0.85%
Fuel - 0.22%
Luxury Furniture - 0.20%
Fertilizer - 0.14%
Miscellaneous: .20%
Luxury Clothing - 0.06%

2011-12-26_00001.jpg

2011-12-19_00090.jpg

2011-12-19_00102.jpg

Foreign Affairs

Justice

The law of the Orange Free State is the Roman-Dutch law, in so far as it has been introduced into and is applicable to South Africa, and as amended by local acts. Pretoria is the seat of the High Court of the Oranje Free State and also of a provincial division of the same court. For judicial purposes the Free State is divided into twenty-one divisions, in each of which is a resident magistrate, who has limited civil and criminal jurisdiction. There are also special justices of the peace, having criminal jurisdiction in minor cases. The provincial court has jurisdiction in all civil and criminal matters, and is a court of appeal from all inferior courts. From it appeals can be made to the Appellate Division of the High Court. Criminal cases are tried before one judge and a jury of nine, who must give a unanimous opinion. Circuit courts are also held by judges of the provincial court.

Military

Total Available Forces: 216,000 including Regular Army & Kommando Reservists
Regular Army: 129,000

Oranjean%20Soldaat%201936.jpg
Oranjean_Soldaat_1936.jpg

Free State Soldiers on march wearing the Austrian M1931 Stahlhelm // Free State soldier in battledress (flashy buttons/insignia removed)

Oranje-Vrystaat Leër:

Army Breakdown:

I Korps - 39,000
2 Armoured Regiments, 1 Guard Cuirassier Regiment, 2 Mounted Infantry Regiments, 4 Artillery Regiments, 2 Guard Infantry Regiments, 2 Engineer Regiments

II Korps - 45,000
2 Armoured Regiments, 1 Guard Cuirassier Regiment, 1 Mounted Infantry Regiment, 4 Artillery Regiments, 4 Guard Infantry Regiments, 2 Engineer Regiments, 1 Infantry Regiment

III Korps - 21,000
2 Armoured Regiments, 3 Artillery Regiments, 1 Guard Infantry Regiment, 1 Engineer Regiment

The Oranjean Free State Guard
The Guard (retaining the traditional name Vrij Staat Garde) is the highest honor in the Free State Army and the active troops constitute the majority of infantry. The Guard are split into two distinct groups: ceremonial and active troops. The ceremonial regiments embody a more elite status than other Free State units and maintain special rights, privileges, and traditions. The Free State guard has always allowed all persons regardless of race, creed, or color into its ranks.

MOTTO: Sterkte, Eer, Eenheid

Bloemfontein Garde – 15,000 men
1ste Transvaalse Staatsartillerie
1ste Guard Cavalerie Cuirassier
3e Guard Cavalerie Cuirassier
1ste Artillerie-Korps van Oranje Vrijstaat
1ste Republikeinse Garde

Ceremonial soldiers & duties:
-Ceremonial Regiments: 1ste, 2e, 3e, 4e Guard Cavalerie Cuirassier, 1ste Artillerie-Korps van Oranje Vrijstaat, 1ste Republikeinse Garde, 1ste Pretorian Garde
-Guarding important public buildings in Bloemfontein such as the residence of the President of the Free State, the National Assembly, Nasionale Veteraan Hospital, and keeping public order in Bloemfontein.
-1ste Pretorian Garde Infanterie and the 2e Guard Cavalerie Cuirassier stationed at the High Court & Hall of Justice in Pretoria.
-4e Guard Cavalerie Cuirassier stationed in Noordstad
-Honor and security services for the highest national personalities and important foreign guests
-Support of local law enforcement forces

Korps Vesting Artillerie

The Fortress Artillery Corps is a reserve force drawn from the Kommando system to control and defend the “Inner Spine” network of forts and defensive positions. It formed in the 1870s after the Free State army persuaded the government to expand the Kommando system. After the formation of the High Command in 1896, the Free State government constructed and updated a vast network of fortresses, blockhouses, and defensive posts at key critical points throughout the country.

Army Air Corps
200px-Roundel_of_South_Africa_1927-1947.svg.png

Free State Army-Air Corps Roundel

Gendarmerie

Last edited:
I have said it once, and I didn't say it lightly then. But I believe the time has come to say it once more. I am confused beyond what I thought was humanely possible.

I would have thought he went 1836, but now hes talking about Fascist France, broken commonwealth, and whathaveyou. It will be elucidated in time.

subscribed :)

Well I focused mostly on building industry and infrastructure in what provinces I had...that and I developed the necessary research for colonization a little later than I had wanted and by that time most of Africa was taken up by Britain and France :sad: . Somewhat realistic though as I can't really see the Boers/Afrikaners of that time being very expansionist

While I don't know how Victoria 2 works and just greatly enjoy reading AAR's about it and am interested in the Boer/Afrikaner history (and really not a expert at), I think you are on the right track if you think about possible population growth and need of new land (just see how half the population keeps it self busy agricultural).

The Birth of a Republic (1836-1859)

Part 1

In 1652, Dutch emigrants first settled in Southern Africa near the Cape of Good Hope in order to establish a station where ships traveling to the Dutch East Indies could rest and resupply. French Protestants, German mercenaries, and other Europeans joined these Dutchmen in South Africa. The settler people became known as Africanders and later Afrikaners. Many simply were called “Boers,” the Dutch word for “farmers.” For nearly 150 years, the Dutch were the predominant foreign influence in Southern Africa. However, in 1795, Britain gained control of South Africa and after the Napoleonic Wars established colonial influence over the region. After a few years the Afrikaners and Boers grew tired of the inept and corrupted British colonial government. The Cape Colonial Government favored only British companies and interests, so many of these Afrikaners and other Europeans decided pick up and leave, setting out for a new life, northward and eastward into the interior of Southern Africa.

In 1831 a young man of 28, Johannes van Lusbeck -farmer turned missionary- began preaching a new kind of revival Christianity. He settled in what would later become the Orange Free State. Van Lusbeck emphasized peace with all of God’s creations, doing good deeds daily, and the freedom to worship the Lord. His most radical teachings embraced equality among all men and science as a means to understand Creation. He emphasized the importance of literacy, saying it is a divine right. By 1832, his sermons grew larger and larger, giving a chance for isolated frontier volk to gather and enjoy the excitement of evangelistic fervor. It was said Van Lusbeck could stir up a crowd to the point of deafening sound, yet could also force over a hush so great, one could hear a pin drop. He sprinkled stories with humor, yet also was known for serious tales and horrific omens if God’s word was not heeded. Van Lusbeck spoke of “the trials that God puts forth for us to vanquish: war, prejudice, disease, hatred.” He served as great influence over the influx of new arrivals to the land. His views of liberal-Christianity were met with skepticism at first, but gradually appealed to more and more people. While he established no new church, his views and followers frequently clashed with the Dutch Reformed Church of South Africa. A large schism was henceforth created.

In 1833 the British abolished slavery and van Lusbeck welcomed the abolition with a famous sermon on the velt near the Bloemfontein farm. Nearly fourteen thousand people showed up and word spread quickly all throughout the Cape. White, Coloured, and Black, they all came to listen and pray. He described the slavery in the Bible and recited paragraphs upon paragraphs from scripture, and spoke of its true evils. He lashed out against some of his fellow Boers, saying they would “create an underclass of people (from Ingeboekselings) and that this was not the way of Christ. Addressing the crowd he was quoted to say, “This land is destined to be worked and broken and shared by all of God’s children. Christ preached power with, not power over. Who are we to go against God’s will!”

To be continued...

Last edited:
Well I focused mostly on building industry and infrastructure in what provinces I had...that and I developed the necessary research for colonization a little later than I had wanted and by that time most of Africa was taken up by Britain and France :sad: . Somewhat realistic though as I can't really see the Boers/Afrikaners of that time being very expansionist

But the Transvaal was almost continuously trying to gain new lands during this time, and annexing smaller Boer republics. Maybe Orange wasn't so aggressive, but the Transvaal had bigger plans in mind.