+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: (MOD) 650 b.c.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Nuril View Post
    Nah, that's six centuries in the future. They'd only have half of that land southward, but they spread along the coasts first (thus the "Netherlands to the Vistula"). About if you took the first major > < points of the borders to the south and drew a line to connect the two and then chopped off the land east of the Vistula.
    Okey.

The stupid source claimed it to be 1 Ce-ish
    Lord Jon North in The Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Bazti View Post
    Okey.

The stupid source claimed it to be 1 Ce-ish
    CE=Common Era=AD . So 1 CE = 1 AD.
    Currently developing a 650 BC mod for EU3. Help appreciated!
    Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR.
    Creator of RickRand, a random scenario generator for Victoria:Revolutions (current version: 0.9)
    Member of the 200k Club
    Owner of an <= Official Necromancy (The Good Kind) Cookie (thanks dinofs)
    Owner of the SAS Award for Dedication

Anyway, how about this:

Creator of RickRand, a random scenario generator for Victoria:Revolutions (current version: 0.9)
    Member of the 200k Club

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Anyway, how about this:
    Hm, not sure it should be on the Vistula yet, just as an eastern marker. I'd say shift Tuchell & Danzig to Prenzlau & Ruppin.

And Sweden on that map... uh.. looks quite "fat" for a country which is mostly long North-to-South (But since this is a mod-within-a-mod that can't be helped, iI suppose).. >_>

Hm, not sure it should be on the Vistula yet, just as an eastern marker. I'd say shift Tuchell & Danzig to Prenzlau & Ruppin.
    Wait, so you mean remove Tuchel and Danzig but add Prenzlau and Ruppin?
    Member of the 200k Club

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV

Wait, so you mean remove Tuchel and Danzig but add Prenzlau and Ruppin?
    Yeah, in vanilla the provinces run right through the Vistula, so picking the border-provinces there none of them have the territory around the river itself.

On the topic of tribes, though.. how will Exploration be handled? Wouldn't want Egyptians forming the U.S.A. before the game's up, so how will you keep the continents separate (and will the New World be empty)?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

I agree with this 100%. What do "Gouwu" and "Yuyue" mean (where'd you get those names)? Btw this makes me think of how the Zhou was officially an empire but in practice if couldn't hold everything together... I was thinking how about we use the HRE mechanic on the Zhou dynasty?
    Just pulled them from wiki. "From the 9th century BC, two northern Yue peoples, the Gou-Wu and Yu-Yue, were increasingly influenced by their Chinese neighbours to their north. These two states were based in the areas of what is now southern Jiangsu and northern Zhejiang respectively." These correspond to the states, who weren't part of the original Zhou system but became sinicized over time.

Gouwu (勾吳): The wiki entry for Suzhou says the people around the area called themselves that. I'm not sure on what it actually means tbh.

Yuyue (於越 or 于越): The first character is just a grammar particle nowadays... "in" or "at." Yue is an interesting word, though. It's based off the "axe" pictogram, and from this time to maybe the Han dynasty it was a catch-all when building words for "barbarians in the south who aren't us." (Random tangent: You see this sort of thing a lot. A lot of ethnic minorities still had the "dog" radical in their names until the PRC's language reforms replaced these with the "human" radical. Compare the Mexica calling everyone around them "dog people.") Then as the line of "us" moved south, so did the term. Nowadays, "Yue" is the southern coast of China (but in most cases 粵, "breathe," is used instead) and the original 越 is used in Vietnam's name (Nanyue, "southern Yue" is where "Nam Viet" came from.) If I had to guess, I'd say the "yu" is meant to differentiate the people in the state of Yue from others further to the south also called (blank)-yue.

I don't know if you'd rather use the HRE system elsewhere since I'm ignorant of other regions that might make better use of it. Shogun might make more sense if there was some way to let the "daimyos" deal with non-daimyos normally. Zhou king at this point was closer to the Emperor of Japan before the restoration (powerless but generally respected) with a little dash of Pope throne in there ("The King named me ba [hegemon] so it's totes cool for me to attack you!") the latter of which could be represented by the shogun... But by the 400's or so no one really cared what the king said anymore, and it was just legitimately sovereign states fighting each other.

The HRE would need to be modded in some ways that might not be possible because it supposes the emperor is the strongest and gives him rights/powers that make sense given that. Shogunate would work better if there was a way to stop it from interfering with diplomacy and war outside the system. Tbh I dunno, and it might just be easier and better to leave it as-is and have everyone guarantee Zhou's independence so hopefully no one conquers them without a hell of a fight.

Yeah I'm a bit unsure about whether I should add the south-chinese peoples as nations or just as uncolonized territory. In the rest of the world I went with the criterion: did something important happen to these people during the timeframe or not? E.g. I added Iranian nations to central Asia because they were conquered by Persia in a short amount of time. But for example the Germanics don't get to have their own nation because they simply didn't do much during the time frame. In China I don't really know. The Qin and Han did conquer the south, but was it a swift military campaign or colonization? I don't know.
    I'd say leave it empty if you have a colonization mechanic (no idea how to make it work properly...) Afaik it was mostly tribal. The war didn't give anyone a chance to venture south.

The Qin expanded to (very very) roughly the black immediately after, and within 100 years after that the Han expanded to roughly the blue (pink? I'm colorblind. ) I have no idea how to properly model this... no one's going to be expanding while the empire's up for grabs, but once China is stable, expansion in that direction should be relatively easy.

Edit: Idea. You could give the Chinese colonists only once they're the uncontested powerhouse (maybe once their neighbors are gone, vassals, or OPM/2PMs) and make Xinjiang and Mongolia uncolonizable. Historically the Qin/Han only expanded down there after your timeline, but an earlier unification should mean earlier expansion imo.

That looks cool! Although I have no idea how to type in Chinese ... I found the Zhou character with google translate. (typed zhou, then copy pasted the resulting character and translated it back to english to check) Ok but I'm sure I can find out something. Do you have a download link or do you prefer email?
    I can send it to you if you PM me your email. You don't need to type Chinese, just copy-paste from Wikipedia. I'd avoid using characters "state" "kingdom" "great" etc on the flags.

Actually, here's my suggestions, save you some legwork. The slash is just simplified/traditional. You always want to use whatever looks like the latter character, but some "old-looking" fonts will only take the simplified character but will spit out a traditional-looking one.

Zhou: 周
    Wu: 吴/吳
    Yue: 越
    Chu: 楚
    Ba: 巴
    Shu: 蜀
    Jin: 晋/晉
    Wei: 魏 (But wiki sez 梁 is "Zhou Chinese" so that's probably more period-accurate... although in current usage it doesn't mean the state anymore.)
    Zheng: 郑/鄭
    Qi: 齐/齊
    Yan: 燕
    Qin: 秦
    Last edited by bananafishtoday; 07-01-2012 at 16:53.
    The Chronicles of the Norse - A Jorvik AAR (CK2, active)

Pine, Bamboo, and Plum - A Song AAR (EU3 MEIOU, dead for foreseeable future)
    Winner: Weekly AAR Showcase 11/20/11 - Character Writer of the Week 12/4/11, 10/7/12 - AARland Choice AwAARd Q4 2011, Q3 2012

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

CE=Common Era=AD . So 1 CE = 1 AD.
    I thought you sought 1st Century for one minute. No wonder it was wrong.
    Lord Jon North in The Kingdom

Hmm, I have to think a bit on this one. One problem is that a "Colonial City State" does not actually reference the form of government. E.g. Athens was a democracy, but has had tyrants too - something similar should be possible in-game. Maybe the "Colonial" aspect should be in NIs and decisions.
    True. Colonial/trade/military focus is probably best handled trough NIs as in vanilla. What I find important is that the difference between for example Assyria and Athens (or Rome and Athens for that matter) isn’t just a few NI’s and a conquest spree.

The Greek city states never managed to form large empires. The Athenian empire at its height would in the game not be more than a few provinces and a lot of vassals. That doesn’t mean it should be impossible to form a large empire from a Greek city state in the game of course, but it should not be possible for a Greek city state to directly control much territory during the first many centuries.

Brainstorm for buildings/provincial decisions:

Military:
    Training fields (local_regiment_cost, local_manpower_modifier)
    Permanent training camps (regiment_recruit_speed)
    Central armoury and weapon deposit (local_manpower_modifier)

Government:
    Acropolis/Capitol (defensiveness, less revolt risk)
    Agora/Forum
    Senate house
    Basilica
    University

Trade:
    Marketplace
    Center of regional commerce
    Trade district (only in very large cities or COTs)
    Road network
    Paved roads

Naval (also trade effects):
    Harbour
    Artificial harbour
    Shipyard
    Port city (think Piraeus/Ostia)

Religion:
    Small Temple
    Large temple
    Ziggurat
    “Centre of religion” (Temple in Jerusalem, Delphi etc. – perhaps designated by game start or by events)
    Imperial burial complex (+prestige, only available to large states and only one pr. country)

Production:
    Refined local goods
    Pottery manufacture
    Community of artist
    Refined foods and wines
    A subject for a great poet would be God's boredom after the seventh day of creation.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Yeah, in vanilla the provinces run right through the Vistula, so picking the border-provinces there none of them have the territory around the river itself.

On the topic of tribes, though.. how will Exploration be handled? Wouldn't want Egyptians forming the U.S.A. before the game's up, so how will you keep the continents separate (and will the New World be empty)?
    I was thinking of limiting colonial range dramatically (as in, reduce it to 1 or so) and making it not increase with technology. There should be a NI that increases colonial range (i.e. + a certain amount), and e.g. Greeks and Carthage should start with it. Thus, normal empires can only colonize adjacent territory, while only nations with this special NI can colonize overseas (but not too far so they don't reach America). Yes, I think it will be best to keep the New World empty for now. Furthermore, there should be a mechanic that gives colonists to only a select group of nations. I.e. everyone starts with +0.00 colonists, but get some bonusses depending on NIs or decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by bananafishtoday View Post
    I don't know if you'd rather use the HRE system elsewhere since I'm ignorant of other regions that might make better use of it. Shogun might make more sense if there was some way to let the "daimyos" deal with non-daimyos normally. Zhou king at this point was closer to the Emperor of Japan before the restoration (powerless but generally respected) with a little dash of Pope throne in there ("The King named me ba [hegemon] so it's totes cool for me to attack you!") the latter of which could be represented by the shogun... But by the 400's or so no one really cared what the king said anymore, and it was just legitimately sovereign states fighting each other.

The HRE would need to be modded in some ways that might not be possible because it supposes the emperor is the strongest and gives him rights/powers that make sense given that. Shogunate would work better if there was a way to stop it from interfering with diplomacy and war outside the system. Tbh I dunno, and it might just be easier and better to leave it as-is and have everyone guarantee Zhou's independence so hopefully no one conquers them without a hell of a fight.
    I was thinking, it doesn't have to be the title of "Emperor" that is being contested. It could be that the title being contested is hegemon or bŕ. According to wiki, "the bŕ was obligated to protect both the weaker Zhōu states and the Zhōu royalty from the intruding non-Zhōu peoples."

The Qin expanded to (very very) roughly the black immediately after, and within 100 years after that the Han expanded to roughly the blue (pink? I'm colorblind. ) I have no idea how to properly model this... no one's going to be expanding while the empire's up for grabs, but once China is stable, expansion in that direction should be relatively easy.

Edit: Idea. You could give the Chinese colonists only once they're the uncontested powerhouse (maybe once their neighbors are gone, vassals, or OPM/2PMs) and make Xinjiang and Mongolia uncolonizable. Historically the Qin/Han only expanded down there after your timeline, but an earlier unification should mean earlier expansion imo.
    That idea sounds good and coincides with the colonization idea I outlined above. edit: it should be possible to limit expansion to the north but not make it impossible; e.g. very aggressive natives and low province worth.

I can send it to you if you PM me your email. You don't need to type Chinese, just copy-paste from Wikipedia. I'd avoid using characters "state" "kingdom" "great" etc on the flags.

Actually, here's my suggestions, save you some legwork. The slash is just simplified/traditional. You always want to use whatever looks like the latter character, but some "old-looking" fonts will only take the simplified character but will spit out a traditional-looking one.

Zhou: 周
    Wu: 吴/吳
    Yue: 越
    Chu: 楚
    Ba: 巴
    Shu: 蜀
    Jin: 晋/晉
    Wei: 魏 (But wiki sez 梁 is "Zhou Chinese" so that's probably more period-accurate... although in current usage it doesn't mean the state anymore.)
    Zheng: 郑/鄭
    Qi: 齐/齊
    Yan: 燕
    Qin: 秦
    Ok, I'll PM you my email. Thanks a lot for those characters!

Quote Originally Posted by Cernifax View Post
    True. Colonial/trade/military focus is probably best handled trough NIs as in vanilla. What I find important is that the difference between for example Assyria and Athens (or Rome and Athens for that matter) isn’t just a few NI’s and a conquest spree.

The Greek city states never managed to form large empires. The Athenian empire at its height would in the game not be more than a few provinces and a lot of vassals. That doesn’t mean it should be impossible to form a large empire from a Greek city state in the game of course, but it should not be possible for a Greek city state to directly control much territory during the first many centuries.

Brainstorm for buildings/provincial decisions:

Military:
    Training fields (local_regiment_cost, local_manpower_modifier)
    Permanent training camps (regiment_recruit_speed)
    Central armoury and weapon deposit (local_manpower_modifier)

Government:
    Acropolis/Capitol (defensiveness, less revolt risk)
    Agora/Forum
    Senate house
    Basilica
    University

Trade:
    Marketplace
    Center of regional commerce
    Trade district (only in very large cities or COTs)
    Road network
    Paved roads

Naval (also trade effects):
    Harbour
    Artificial harbour
    Shipyard
    Port city (think Piraeus/Ostia)

Religion:
    Small Temple
    Large temple
    Ziggurat
    “Centre of religion” (Temple in Jerusalem, Delphi etc. – perhaps designated by game start or by events)
    Imperial burial complex (+prestige, only available to large states and only one pr. country)

Production:
    Refined local goods
    Pottery manufacture
    Community of artist
    Refined foods and wines
    Thanks for that brainstorm, there's some really good ideas in it!

About the govt type: I agree that there should be a huge difference between playing Athens and Assyria; the branches idea therefore sounds good to me.

Actually, I have a feeling that it should in general be very hard to control large land areas, even when you're an ordinary Aristocratic Monarchy. You should be able to switch (via decision) to Empire if you have enough territory, armies and a good enough monarch, I'd say.

I just had this idea for that: nations with a good enough monarch (same "good enough" as before) can get a modifier "Imperial Ambitions," giving some bonuses (e.g. a CB that allows conquest for low infamy cost) and possibly some maluses (e.g. worse relations with neighbors). You can only get Imperial Ambitions if you are not an empire already and are a monarchy, so Greek city states can only get it if they happen to have a tyrant at the time. Now, if you happen to have enough provinces, a large enough army and (at the same time) have the modifier "Imperial Ambitions", the decision to become an empire becomes available. This should make it sufficiently hard I'd say.

There should be different forms of empires though. E.g. the Egyptian "deified emperor" concept, or the Persian "king of kings" concept, etc etc.
    Last edited by Taylor; 07-01-2012 at 18:38.
    Member of the 200k Club

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessV2 Beta500k club
    EUIV: Call to arms event

660 B.C. marked the formation of the "Japanese" nation by the first Emperor, so that should be in game at least.
    NK Foreign Minister Comrade Anastasia Ivanovna Petrova in Avindian's Soviet Union Interactive AAR.
    Otto von Bismarck, Stadtholder of Leipzig, Reichsminister der Finanzen in Avindian's Sonderweg oder Anderweg Interactive AAR.
    Unable to start or complete any of his AAR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura_F View Post
    660 B.C. marked the formation of the "Japanese" nation by the first Emperor, so that should be in game at least.
    Well, according to legend, of course. Most historians don't actually believe it. But yeah, I will put in the Japanese, legend or not .

@HMAS-Nameless - I got an email that you tried to send me a message but that my Inbox is full. I've cleared some messages, so now I can receive your message . Btw your own Inbox is also full.
    Member of the 200k Club

This looks promising, you've got some good ideas going here, and I'd love to contribute. I could probably help with base tax, trade goods and centres of trade.

I've got a couple of ideas for events/decisions aswell:

- It would be cool if China had some events flavored after The Art of War, (maybe only when at war,) and other ancient chinese poetry and literature, and the same in India with ancient sanskrit literature.

-Carthage itself should have some events or decisions that makes it grow to the biggest city in europe in terms of base tax towards the end of the game. (Only if the ruling country is phoenician.)

-and maybe a decision to create a COT in Iberia if it has enough cities there. This wouldn't really benefit carthage that much, and it will make Iberia more valuable to other countries, so the decision should give some other bonuses to carthage aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura_F View Post
    In that case, I think you should add the Gojoseon (Korea) too.
    Another nation that should be in is Tartessos, which was a rich and important trading city in this period.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolololo View Post
    This looks promising, you've got some good ideas going here, and I'd love to contribute. I could probably help with base tax, trade goods and centres of trade.
    That's great! I'll PM you about it!

I've got a couple of ideas for events/decisions aswell:

- It would be cool if China had some events flavored after The Art of War, (maybe only when at war,) and other ancient chinese poetry and literature, and the same in India with ancient sanskrit literature.

-Carthage itself should have some events or decisions that makes it grow to the biggest city in europe in terms of base tax towards the end of the game. (Only if the ruling country is phoenician.)

-and maybe a decision to create a COT in Iberia if it has enough cities there. This wouldn't really benefit carthage that much, and it will make Iberia more valuable to other countries, so the decision should give some other bonuses to carthage aswell.
    - I agree 100%.
    - You're right. Carthage should also, as a nation, make a development towards more centralization somehow. Technically, in 650BC, Carthage was still just the most prominent of a number of Phoenician colonies.
    - You're probably right... although I'm a bit worried about whether such a CoT will have a high enough value.

In that case, I think you should add the Gojoseon (Korea) too.
    Another nation that should be in is Tartessos, which was a rich and important trading city in this period.
    I indeed plan to add Gojoseon. I knew about the existence of Tartessos; just didn't know enough about them to add them to the scenario. I did make a Tartessian culture in southern Iberia IIRC.
    Member of the 200k Club

Definitely looking forward to this! Can't wait to try it out.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisRise of Prussia
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    This looks like it's gonna be a great mod and I love the time period!

Will you rename the provinces and their capitals, or will that be too cumbersome?

I have got the Barrington atlas if you have any particular questions. it was very useful for me in my 399AD mod.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

I was just thinking on the china, how bout when all those states has conquered eachother and formed their own empire, the HAN should be represented as a rebel faction that might revolt, just a thought so that the HAN empire might come into the game

Great mod though!

Quote Originally Posted by Derahan View Post
    I was just thinking on the china, how bout when all those states has conquered eachother and formed their own empire, the HAN should be represented as a rebel faction that might revolt, just a thought so that the HAN empire might come into the game

Great mod though!
    Thanks! It could also be possible to just have them be possible pretenders. I'll think about it; for now I'm concentrating on the beginning setup
    Member of the 200k Club

Quote Originally Posted by AKronblad View Post
    Will you rename the provinces and their capitals, or will that be too cumbersome?

I have got the Barrington atlas if you have any particular questions. it was very useful for me in my 399AD mod.
    Well I plan to rename at least the most important ones. It's gonna be hard to come up with names for all of them though. I'll keep your Barrington in mind , thanks!
    Member of the 200k Club

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisRise of Prussia
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Well I plan to rename at least the most important ones. It's gonna be hard to come up with names for all of them though. I'll keep your Barrington in mind , thanks!
    My pleasure. I only changed for Europe, Northern Africa, and Middle East, the rest I couldn't judge whether wrong or not. And I still had it easier, because I had merged many provinces...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast