• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

alex0809

Captain
73 Badges
May 12, 2011
  • Semper Fi
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
I just prepurchased King Arthur II and I have to say I am astonished. The "prologue" campaign is already awesome and really has a lot of content! I also love how everything good in the first King Arthur was kept and just perfected even further while the bad stuff (eg. tiny battles, victory through capturing) was removed.
However, performance is very much terrible on my PC.
(Windows 7 64
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 3.00GHz
4GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 460)
Reducing the graphics to bare minimum helped a bit, but it still runs with no more than 20 FPS in battle and overall seems very laggy. Now I know I don't exactly have a gamer PC but it's not like my setup was totally bad either.. is it just because this version is not so well optimized or can I forget ever playing this game fluently?

Upvote 0
Whatever the problem it isn't a 64 bit windows issue.

I have Win 7 Ultimate, 64 bit and the game runs fine.

So it should be something due to specific system configurations.

So it should be something due to specific system configurations.

Of course it has to do with our specific system configurations. That's the case with almost all of these types of bugs. If this bug affected all people with Windows 7 64-bit, (as in, most people.), I find it hard to believe they wouldn't at some point have uncovered it during testing.

second post

Exactly. The second post.

A while ago, isn't it?

Last edited:
What means fine in your opinion? How many FPS do you get?
Don't run a FPS program, but there is no lag that I can notice. Camera Movement, Commands, Zoom Change, etc. doesn't feel choppy. Doesn't feel slower than Shogun 2 or Skyrim.

GTX 580 (only 1.5gig though), i-980x, 12 gig memory, vsync on, 1920x1080. Using the beta driver for Skyrim from Nvidia.

I'll probably play the prolgue again tonight, I'll run Fraps then.

I have the exact same issue, and an ATI HD4870. I did notice my CPU runs at about 70% (what I expect from a game), but my GPU only reaches about 15-20% load. The final mission was nigh unplayable and I only reached about 8% GPU load.

I'm going to try updating my card's drivers, I will let you know.

This is a pretty massive issue, though still not as bad as Stronghold 3 was at launch. God.

The game's 3D Engine seems to be capped at 30 fps

The lowest I ever got on the Battle Map is 24, most of the time it is 28-31 (according to Fraps).
The Campaign Map is near constant 31 fps

The game's 3D Engine seems to be capped at 30 fps

The lowest I ever got on the Battle Map is 24, most of the time it is 28-31 (according to Fraps).
The Campaign Map is near constant 31 fps
Your performance is exactly like mine. It's just that some say its unnoticeable for them and others like me say its nearly unplayable.
I think we need someone who has both windows 7 and xp and can try out the game on that system as well.

Hey guys,

I think I have a (hopefully temporary) solution to this performance issue.

I made two simple changes to my king arthur 2 .exe file. I right clicked on this file, selected properties and under the compatibility tab I did the following:
1) I checked the box to run the program in compatibility mode, and selected windows xp (service pack 3) and;
2) I ticked the box down the bottom to run the program as an administrator.

It's that simple.

Previously, I was unable to play any battles in this game as the fps was something horribly low. But after making the changes I just played a battle with a decent fps. It wasn't perfect, but it was alot better.

I hope it works for the rest of you.

Edit ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After some testing it appears that all I have to do to improve my game's performance is right click on the king arthur 2 .exe file in the install folder and select 'run as administrator'.

Last edited:
That is interesting - could the others provide us some feedback about this as well?

If that doesn't help, please do the following:
Go to the game main folder (Usually it is C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\kingarthurii\), run KingArthurII_AutoSetup.exe
After this, run the game and create a screenshot (hit Ctrl+Space, screenshot will be stored in the game main folder) about the Graphical settings screen (in the game open the Options menu/Videos/Advanced Stettings).
Upload it anywhere and share the link here or simply send us the screenshot to support@kingarthurthewargame.com together with your DxDiag attached. If you don't mind, it would be nice too if you included your Forum username in the email as well.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
http://h9.abload.de/img/capture_01-05_18-10-0phx9a.png

Note that it set my resolution to 1366x768 automatically.. even though I have native resolution 1920x1080. The game runs very fluent like this but obviously that's not how I want to play it... generally don't misunderstand that the game is unplayable or something. It's just that the performance is absymal especially as this is not really a game with great graphics...

That is interesting - could the others provide us some feedback about this as well?

If that doesn't help, please do the following:
Go to the game main folder (Usually it is C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\kingarthurii\), run KingArthurII_AutoSetup.exe
After this, run the game and create a screenshot (hit Ctrl+Space, screenshot will be stored in the game main folder) about the Graphical settings screen (in the game open the Options menu/Videos/Advanced Stettings).
Upload it anywhere and share the link here or simply send us the screenshot to support@kingarthurthewargame.com together with your DxDiag attached. If you don't mind, it would be nice too if you included your Forum username in the email as well.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Neocore_Kate,

I noticed some improvements, as it in runs better now after the patch. There is still some tweaks necessary though as there are still minor lags on the campaign map.

I have sent a screenshot with all relevant information to your support email address.

Thanks Kate for your attention in this matter for all of us.

Hey guys,

I think I have a (hopefully temporary) solution to this performance issue.
Does this lift the 30 fps cap? if there is a cap at all.

Fairly sure there is, since I have never seen any FPS higher than 31 when I played last night. My monitor refresh rate is 120, so it should not be some strange vsync issue with my system.

Having just re-installed it, I noticed some slight improvements. Nowhere near what anyone would consider acceptable, but still - improvements. I'm not sure if it was the small patch, or me forcing the game to run in "Administrator"-mode, as suggested, that caused it, though.

I did what "Neocore_Kate" suggested, and couldn't help but notice that the game, when launched from the "AutoSetup"-program, defaulted me to run in "DX9"-mode, with some settings turned off, and several of the graphics-sliders not fully maxed-out, for some reason. Less than awesome.

I will send the screenshot and DXDiag to the email address suggested, along with my forum username. If you decide to reply to me, personally, I suggest you just as well do so in this thread.

Last edited: