• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As (not sure which country), some of the deals offered me said that I was responsible for the convoys, even though it was their trade.
When you mean buyer, do you mean the person spending the money, or the person offering the trade?

Something I've seemed to notice. When you let the AI automate trades, I always seem to be making money, and have a surplus in all my resources... which is helpful as Germany. Are there reasons not to let the AI manage trades?
I mean the one spending the money.

2 quick questions misterbean.

1)Should we leave the convoy settings on auto?
2)As far as the air and naval leaders, will you be guiding us on which ones to choose or should we
be assigning them now?

What an awesome tutorial!! Not only am I learning game mechanics which some I didn't know but even more important, your
explanation of strategy is starting to have this all make sense.
Thanks again for your time.

1) by all means, keep them on auto. For one thing we won't need any once we take Danzig (unless we go for Norway).
2) of course I will guide you. but I always wait until 1939 so that I can assign the real aces where they belong. There are quite a few level-4 air commanders still unavailable, such as the nephew of the Red Baron, to name only one. Dönitz, is another one, the only level-5 naval commander in Germany (I think one of 3 or 4 world wide to have level-5 skills in naval matters)

Something I've seemed to notice. When you let the AI automate trades, I always seem to be making money, and have a surplus in all my resources... which is helpful as Germany. Are there reasons not to let the AI manage trades?

Yes. The AI might have the idea to sell fuel when you stockpile alot of it pre-war. And you might have other plans than just "make a big surplus of everything". When I have alot of money in the bank in 1938, I tend to buy HUGE amounts of any ressource I might not have stockpiled enough of, like rares and oil (so my money will sink drastically), which the AI will never do. The one ressource I never stockpile to a huge amount is metals, as after the fall of France I have enough of it until the end of the game, no matter how much IC I have.

Is there a reason not to invade Sweden after the fall of France?

Just wondering, since they have Tungsten and a second Ball-bearings factory and Norway has Heavy Water, which might make it worthwhile to have. This way, both Norway and Sweden are connected via Denmark and the Baltic becomes a German lake and no need for transports.

Last edited:
The other question I have, if anyone knows. Is there a way to upgrade units individually, by putting them into the production que, rather than the general, upgrade slide bar? For example, I always have an Interceptor unit in my que, so I’d like to pick and choose which Interceptor wing gets the upgrades, rather than the computer choosing for me.

Also, missed this piece, what is the composition of our port security divisions? I know you mentioned we need 8 of them, but I can’t find which regiments should go into it.

Also, does the upgrade unit, upgrade units from 1918 to 1939 or does it go from 1818 to 1936 to 1938 to 1939?

Finally, what is our goal for Infantry divisions by September 1, 1939? How many Panzer divisions? How many Int, CAS, Tac and Strat?

Is there a reason not to invade Sweden after the fall of France?

Just wondering, since they have Tungsten and a second Ball-bearings factory and Norway has Heavy Water, which might make it worthwhile to have. This way, both Norway and Sweden are connected via Denmark and the Baltic becomes a German lake and no need for transports.

the only two reasons would be the following: most of the time, Finland falls. With Sweden under German occupation, it would become possible for the Red Army to reach all the way to the north Atlantic.
the other reason is simply that it is ahistorical. since we started out trying to go historical, invading Sweden is out.
Tungsten can be won from Portugal and Nationalist Spain. both of these countries will usually stick very close to the Axis, even when nominally neutral themselves.
That being said, if I were to invade Norway in my own games, Sweden would be the way to do it.

The other question I have, if anyone knows. Is there a way to upgrade units individually, by putting them into the production que, rather than the general, upgrade slide bar? For example, I always have an Interceptor unit in my que, so I’d like to pick and choose which Interceptor wing gets the upgrades, rather than the computer choosing for me.

Also, missed this piece, what is the composition of our port security divisions? I know you mentioned we need 8 of them, but I can’t find which regiments should go into it.

Also, does the upgrade unit, upgrade units from 1918 to 1939 or does it go from 1818 to 1936 to 1938 to 1939?

Finally, what is our goal for Infantry divisions by September 1, 1939? How many Panzer divisions? How many Int, CAS, Tac and Strat?

your first question: yes, it would be possible, but I think (never did the math here, so I could be wrong) that upgrading via the slider would be economically more viable.
the second question: our port defense would be 2 militia divisions per port (cheapest in terms of MP and officers and IC). EAch such division consists of 3 militia brigades and 1 anti-aircraft brigade. (the choice of AA is fueled by the fact that, most of the time, the UK will commence any attempt at amphibious invasions by massing fighters and bombers over the target port.
thirdly: Just like HOI2, upgrading goes in steps: from 1918 to 1936 to 1938 and beyond. Experiments by yours truly and others in a recent past show that it is still "cheaper" and faster, relatively speaking, to upgrade 2 steps at once than upgrade each step seperately.

our goals would be fairly historical: 10 armour, almost as many motorised infantry, 30 interceptors, 12 to 16 tacs, 6 to 9 cas. We will need at least 24 infantry in the west (more would allow a defense in depth) and 26 infantry in the east. minimum total: 50 infantry. My usual aim, however, is not guided by the start of the war.
I look at the main event: Barbarossa. For this we will need a total of about 125 infantry across all fronts, about 20 arm, 15 to 20 mot, 48 int, 16 tac, 12 cas (the latter 2 preferably a lot more but we have to make choices here) and about 50 militia to defend all vulnerable ports.

I assume that's 10 Armored Div. 2 Arm Regiments+1 Mot+1 Eng?

And 30 Interceptor wings, or 10 Fliegerkorps of 3 Int. each? That means, we have to up the production to 3 ariwings per production cycle at some point or even 4 air wings each, to hit that number, since 1 airwing, every 3-4 months just won't get us from 3 to 30 (+27 Int) by 1939. Since we only have 45 months to achieve this. Add to this the 15 CAS wings and you have a need for 42 Light Air wings, if I understand this correctly. And with +2 to practical for each air wing built, that could put our practical at around 60 by 1939 if not more. So, it sounds like we should be putting 1 new air wing into the production que, each month from day 1.

And the 50 Inf divisions are 150 Inf regiments+50 Art regiments?

When you only want to have 50 inf at all at start of hostilities, you have alot of capacity unused. You already start with 36 inf and 1 art, meaning you only have to build 14 whole new inf divisions and 35 art brigades. That leaves tons of IC for the navy and the air force.

Usually, I have 24 interceptor wings, 16 tactical bomber wings (but 0 CAS) when war starts, but around 120 inf divisions and 25 armored divisions. Navy... most of the time I start the war with 2-4 BB and 10 or 12 modern DD. CAS don't cost much ICdays and you dont start with BB initially, so you should easily be able to build up to the 30 int and the CAS. No problem at all.

I dont even think you need to always have 4 int in the queue. 3 Should be sufficient.

I played ahead to mid-July without taking notes, just to give you an exact figure.
What we should end up with is (total forces):
62 inf (3inf/1art)
4 Larm (2Larm/1mot/1eng)
8 arm (2arm/1mot) 8 Spart still in the queu, scheduled to finish in november 1939 (before you ask: these are meant to win battles, not to exploit breakthroughs, so they require more firepower and less mobility than the Larm)
8 mot (2mot/2TD) (this set-up will give them CA bonus)
8 mil (3mil/1AA)
28 int
10 tac
9 cas
mainland Germany all infra at lvl-10
starting KM+ 2 BC, 1BB, 1 CVL, 1 CL
10 SS
lvl-10 airbases at Bitburg and Wuppertal
coastal forts at Wilhelmshaven, Kiel, Hamburg, Emden
Siegfriedline (lvl-1 forts) to the Swiss border

edited: forgot to mention 4 transport wings and 2 transport ships

Last edited:
Is the infrastructure modeling set up such that it matters that you have every single province upgraded to the same level of infra? Or would it (at least in theory?) suffice to have a set of "supply lines" of infrastructure level 10, while you have other areas that are lower?

Would that significantly impact how you manage things?

I'm not suggesting that you build out ribbons of infra-10 surrounded by wastelands of infra=1 or anything, but I'm interested in how exactly the supply/infrastructure is modeled in the game...

the only two reasons would be the following: most of the time, Finland falls. With Sweden under German occupation, it would become possible for the Red Army to reach all the way to the north Atlantic.
the other reason is simply that it is ahistorical. since we started out trying to go historical, invading Sweden is out.
Tungsten can be won from Portugal and Nationalist Spain. both of these countries will usually stick very close to the Axis, even when nominally neutral themselves.
That being said, if I were to invade Norway in my own games, Sweden would be the way to do it.
FYI, I’m here to learn to do things better, not to play a historical game. :D I’m going after the Sweet, Sweet, Swedes. As for you, well, 24 Interceptor Wings, instead of 50 and way too many Panzers, don’t exactly scream historical accuracy. So stomp on the Swedes and occupy them. :) Make them feel wanted by the Axis. LOL

And don’t feel bad, Johan didn’t put “Tungsten” in Sweden, so that Germany wouldn’t take it. They put it there, because our Swedish game designers, probably feel that Sweden got left out, so they are putting a nice carrot on a stick, for Germany, so that they can feel included in the Great Conflict.

Is the infrastructure modeling set up such that it matters that you have every single province upgraded to the same level of infra? Or would it (at least in theory?) suffice to have a set of "supply lines" of infrastructure level 10, while you have other areas that are lower?

Would that significantly impact how you manage things?

I'm not suggesting that you build out ribbons of infra-10 surrounded by wastelands of infra=1 or anything, but I'm interested in how exactly the supply/infrastructure is modeled in the game...

it would be sufficient to have "supply lines". otherwise any SU player wouldn't get anything done ;-)
but it does pay to have a broad base to start from. and with all that infra work I did, my construction practical is still only 7.3. building supply lines to the East Front would take forever. plus they're cheap.

So, another question. Does Austria have to be a part of the Axis, in order for them to be Anshchlused?

Just answered my own question, 40.0% is all it took, they are now part of my greater Germany.

Last edited: