• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unless 3.06 is due to be released (in open beta at least) within a month or so (I have no idea, this is actually the 1st I've heard of it), I'd say continue where you left off. Then you could do a summary post(s) about what's changed with the patch. I'd have to assume the vast majority of what you've written to date will still be accurate, no? How much can just a slightly different map change the game?

Good to hear you're back! Thanks for the good advice.
Just thought I'd let you know, I did it! Beat the SU and invaded the UK. Now onto the US! I like to think it's your great set-up in the early game that made it possible. If you continue the tutorial, I'm sure to follow!

WELCOME BACK MISTERBEAN!!!!!!!!

I have your AAR as a saved game hoping you would be able to return.
Nice to see you back

good to be back!

I'm back where I left off. I have two days off from work later in the week, so expect an update by that time.

I may have missed this, but how large a part (if any) of your army is built as reserves?

all of it actually.
the main benefit of this is that it allows us to build everything we need: planes, troops, tanks, ships,...
the main negative side effect is that reinforcements take longer. mobilization will be more costly. after a bloody fight, our divisions will need more time to regain their strength.
like most everything in this game, it is a matter of strategy. in 1941, we will need about 100 infantry and about 40 mobile divisions (panzers and motorised infantry) against the SU, while keeping the Allies off our back in the West.

Misterbean, I just wanted to thank you for the time and effort you have put forth in this tutorial AAR. It has helped a lot of players, including myself, with understanding and enjoying HOI3. I enjoy your writing style and the way you take the time to explain WHY you are doing something.

In answer to your question, with the anticipated changes coming in 3.0.6, I would hold off going any further. The opening years probably won't change much, but the map changes alone WILL change how wars are fought. The map changes may even force changes in unit composition. I wish we had a better idea what WAS changing in 3.0.6, and hopefully it will be released in open beta in the next few days?? Holding off till then might be worthwhile. My 3 cents, adjusted for inflation.

PS - The only thing I would request in your tutorial is more screen shots of things like production, diplomacy, research and intelligence screens at certain points in time. Pictures help old farts like me understand concepts faster.

Misterbean, I just wanted to thank you for the time and effort you have put forth in this tutorial AAR. It has helped a lot of players, including myself, with understanding and enjoying HOI3. I enjoy your writing style and the way you take the time to explain WHY you are doing something.

In answer to your question, with the anticipated changes coming in 3.0.6, I would hold off going any further. The opening years probably won't change much, but the map changes alone WILL change how wars are fought. The map changes may even force changes in unit composition. I wish we had a better idea what WAS changing in 3.0.6, and hopefully it will be released in open beta in the next few days?? Holding off till then might be worthwhile. My 3 cents, adjusted for inflation.

PS - The only thing I would request in your tutorial is more screen shots of things like production, diplomacy, research and intelligence screens at certain points in time. Pictures help old farts like me understand concepts faster.

from one old fart to the next: Thank you for the compliments and I'll keep the pics in mind.
As for the changes in 3.06, I can only say that the main difference is probably the CMP. This map was assembled by forum modders, with assistance from players worldwide. the main differences are that most ports, cities and province borders are more accurate. infrastructure has undergone a major overhaul worldwide (most provinces have less now). rivers are more plentiful and some provinces now have a different terrain type. might not seem like much, until you've actually played it.

from one old fart to the next: Thank you for the compliments and I'll keep the pics in mind.
As for the changes in 3.06, I can only say that the main difference is probably the CMP. This map was assembled by forum modders, with assistance from players worldwide. the main differences are that most ports, cities and province borders are more accurate. infrastructure has undergone a major overhaul worldwide (most provinces have less now). rivers are more plentiful and some provinces now have a different terrain type. might not seem like much, until you've actually played it.

podcat was also saying there is a fair bit of AI work, just not lothos LUA stuff (and lothos has now stopped)

well, folks. It is a tie, right now.
2 votes for waiting for 3.06.
2 votes to continue right now.
I'll give you 2 more days to cast your vote. if it's still a stand-off at that time, I'll cast the deciding vote myself.

Continue now, imo.

countinue now, the basics wont change and thats what i think this AAR is about, how to play in general, not in specfic

i'm back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel a bit ridiculous for this but I was sincerely relieved and happy to see that post :)

As a veteran player of both HOI1 and 2 I foolishly thought that "hey, how much could they have changed?". Well, a lot it turned out. So much that I was left staring at the screen in total confusion.

Thanks to your AAR and Surrays YT Tutorial I'm finally able to climb that steep mountain that is the HOI3 learning curve and play this game.

For that I'm grateful.

Thank you.

PS. I say go on. There is really no telling when the patch will hit.

Intermission: UK, an island fortress.

Let’s take a look at the leader of the Allies and find out who they are and what their strengths are…and their weaknesses.

hoi36.png

Their cabinet is a mix of excellence and frailty.
On one hand, they have Sir John Simon who provides a bonus to counterespionage, and Chamberlain, who reduces the nation’s CG needs.
On the other hand, there is sir Baldwin, who reduces their available IC.

Like any democracy, their peacetime laws are, like France’s, a joke. The main difference between the two nations lies in their National Unity. Provided they can hold on to that 80% for the next 3 years, they will be able to institute the best wartime laws in the game.

hoi37.png

They have an amount of Leadership comparable to our own and their techs are mostly equal to or better than Germany’s. with some concerted effort, keeping Uk ahead of the curve is fairly easy.

hoi38.png

This, in many ways, is their first line of defense: a huge, powerful and versatile navy with awesome and experienced commanders. Fortunately for us, most of their ships are getting old: their battleships, for instance, are mostly WWI era and from the 20s. With time and dedication, we could field a smaller, but more advanced navy. Nibbling at their fleets, one or two ships at a time, could mean they have to spend more IC on replacements, meaning they have less IC to spend on ground forces. The main problem for us lies in their carriers. By 1940, they typically have 4 to 6 of them. Allowing those almost invincible ships to gang up on us would mean certain doom. Hence the need to ally ourselves with other large and powerful navies, such as Italy and Japan.

hoi39v.png

If the Royal Navy is a shield, then the Royal Air Force could become a finely crafted sword. Their fighters will be our equal, while they have long-range bombers capable of reaching Germany’s industrial regions and wreak havok with our NU, IC and resources.

On top of that, they have a couple of skill 4 and skill 5 generals, though not as many as Germany.

So what can we do against such an array of forces?
First, their laws reduce their starting IC by 50%, and that is without taking ministers into consideration.
Their huge empire, with colonies all over the world, implies the need to spread themselves thin:
They have 18 divisions at home, 15 in Asia and 7 in Africa. All of them infantry, garrisons and militia. No tanks of any kind anywhere.
Forcing them to fight on all fronts at once will prevent them from concentrating their forces enough to threaten us, especially with their small Manpower pool.

And, of course, they are completely dependent on their convoys to keep the Empire together.

Where does that leave us?
The best way to deal with the UK is to keep them on the defensive, fighting Italy in the med, while also having to deal with Japan in Asia and Germany in continental Europe will prevent them from becoming much of a real threat.
Until we are ready to deal with them once and for all. Take their island, and the empire crumbles like a house of cards.

Great Intermission.

I saw this asked a couple of pages ago but never saw the answer(might have missed it).

But is there a reason why you don't order militia(and other things like Interceptors) be produced in serial instead of one by one?