• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm, I wonder if Pedro was setting up a little distraction for something bigger to occur?

Nice AAR you have here mate!

To All: My apologies, firstly, for a week long silence. I have returned to University and it took a bit of time to settle back in, along with some exercises with the British Army, so its been a wee bit hectic. However, life is once again settling down and I can get back into routine. Update will be later this week.

Comagoosie: Excellent to have you along for the ride Nick! Glad, as ever, to be having you scratching your head. Confusion and suspicion are always good things at the start of a story :)

Director: I shan't give too much away, but frankly Pedro is going to be one of the most complex, deep and frankly interesting characters to write about I have yet to produce. He is certainly not someone to expect to be playing by the rules, and that will make him most... useful.

foxboy73: I am not going to lie, subconsciously it probably was a massive influence. I am absolutely in love with the Assassins Creed series so there may well be times throughout that you can draw sharp comparisons between Pedro and the younger Ezio di Auditore. That said, Pedro is ever his own man, so don't be too keen to draw the comparisons. :)

zagaroth: Glad to have you along! And who knows, maybe even Pedro doesn't realise... ;)

I hope that injury isn't giving you too much trouble. You're now best character writer of the week! Looking at the list of past winners, I see this is not your first time, so you know what to do. :)

Did that injury hurt your hand, to prevent you from writing? No handballs in Football! Thats what you get.

-Just joking, get back to it when you can ;-)

Ahh robou ! Good to read something of yours again :D . I had fun this morning taking this up . I hope we'll see another update soon . You know me , I'm always an avid fan of Hispanophile fantasizing haha . Great stuff as always :D

To All: My sincere apologies, but University threw one of those weeks at me that just happens every so often. Very hectic. It is, thankfully though, "Reading Week" now, in which we are meant to read... but that doesn't really happen. So I'll have plenty of spare time for writing. Hopefully I'll get the next two updates up.

Selzro: Many thanks. It really means a lot, since this is my first writing project in a long time.

zagoroth: I have a real knack for pulling muscles... it hurts :(

canonized: Always a pleasure! I expect you to pick me up on my Spanish at various points! :)

Sematary: Well, well, all the old names coming out. We need to have a chat and catch up, seems like an absolute age! Thanks for the link as well! :)

Last edited:
Well, I've just had one hell of a summer. Time to get back to normality and a bit of writing methinks.

I will be working on an update in the coming days, and it should be available by Wednesday. Anyone who hasn't read the first two chapters, this would be a great time to catch up. :)

The next couple of updates should all come togther as a single chapter (and should be considered one), but it has proven simpler to seperate them for the purposes of the forum. Enjoy.

Chapter III - Part I

Chapter III

Dark-road-a23913794.jpg

A brace of dark, half-empty bottles told all that anyone needed to know about the two soldiers trudging up the muddy street with laboured and uncoordinated steps. Their shakos were perched at precariously jaunty angles on their heads, and their lungs were bursting out a cheery, if somewhat incorrect, rendition of ‘Farewell and Adieu’ accompanied faithfully by the overwhelming stench of rum. The pair of Spanish sentries stood for a moment in bemusement at the sight before them, but soon looked at one another. With a frown and a jerk of the head from the senior of the pair, and a roll of the eyes from the other, they began pacing cautiously over towards the drunkards. The curfew had started hours ago, and these men would have to go back to their billets.

The drunks were slow to detect the approaching sentries, but once the Spaniard’s boots were in view, the street was suddenly quiet as the less than angelic chorus came to an abrupt and thankful conclusion. Feet were planted squarely, so the two men were virtually squatting, and an unstable finger was held up by one pleading for a moment to gather themselves. The Spaniards looked at each other again and said together ‘Inglés’ with a sigh. The two Englishmen perked up at the word, straightened their backs at the man on the left gave a brisk salute and a crooked smile. 'At your service, señores!’ The senior Spaniard studied the Englishman in front of him for few moments and furrowed a brow deeply. There was something not quite right, something suspect about the Englishman’s face. His partner interrupted his thoughts.

Inglés, go home’ he said in a loud and strongly punctuated tone with a dreadful accent. The Englishmen stood, stunned. ‘GO’ he raised his voice and waved a dismissive hand at them. His face contorted in anger. He pushed the second Englishman in the chest furiously at having been ignored, and the man, already unstable, carted backwards and fell into the mud. There was a moment of awkward silence before the first Englishman burst into laughter, and the man on the floor also joined in. The first man doubled over and held his belly as he chuckled and rested his hand on senior Spaniard’s shoulder for support. After several seconds, he lifted himself back up and the laughter died down as he gulped for air. Still giggling to himself a little, he looked at the Spaniard and smiled gleefully.

The sentry had no time to respond as a dagger was thrust through his neck. A sudden strike from foot to crotch had the other Spaniard on the floor, and his throat was swiftly slit by the downed assassin, who had recovered from his tumble. The senior man was still standing, gurgling blood gruesomely from his wound and mouth. The assassin grabbed the knife still lodged in the man’s neck and pushed him away. The knife came free as the body fell to the ground. The “Englishman” knelt down and wiped the blood off the knife on the sentry’s trousers. ‘Home’ he said coldly and stood back up but continued staring the corpse.

‘The English was a nice touch Iker. I didn’t know you spoke any’ said the other man, sounding genuinely surprised by his comrade.

‘I am a professional Felipe’. His voice remained cold and collected. ‘It is what you pay me well to do.’ He looked up and smiled grimly. Felipe winced awkwardly in reply, and then brushed the mud off his coat. ‘Let’s hide the bodies, we’ve got a lot more work to do.’ They got to their work without another word said. They dumped the bodies in a nearby cart and hurried off down the street. They walked briskly, but dared not run, fearing attracting the attention of more guards. The night was dark, the clouds blocking out and otherwise full moon, and they slithered unseen through the narrow streets. They stopped next to an otherwise unsuspecting house, the same as any other along the seven streets, except for a small red cross painted on the door. Iker stepped close and knocked rapidly four times, paused, and then knocked quietly two times more. There were several moments of silence and then the door opened with a jolt. He grabbed the barrel of the musket that was thrust in his face and pushed it downwards. The armed man moved to smash Iker with the butt before he saw the face of Felipe and stopped abruptly. He bowed his head and moved out of the way. Iker exhaled angrily and flexed his shoulders. Felipe ignored his companion as he stepped into the house. The hallways were unlit, but the pair negotiated their way through to the back room where a dim lamp betrayed the figures filling the room silently. The bowed as Felipe entered. The most central figure rose and greeted him.

‘Welcome, comandante!’

‘Thank you’ Felipe replied politely, but his mind was elsewhere. ‘Are we the last two in?’ The other man nodded, sensing the urgency in his leader’s voice. ‘Good.’ He looked around at the men in the room. ‘Very good’ he nodded to himself. ‘To recap gentlemen, we have one hundred and fifty men in three locations across the city. Hold your positions as long as you can, but we must hold the central plaza. Every minute gives General Zumalacárregui more time to reach us, so hold to the last man; the last round; the last gasp of breath. We attack at sunrise. Cause as much confusion and noise as you can. ¡Viva España!'

¡Viva!'

Last edited:
Nice! I had given up hope on this, after all these months... It's heartwarming to see it come back to life!

Nice! I had given up hope on this, after all these months... It's heartwarming to see it come back to life!

I had more or less given up hope that anyone was going to read it again. But worth it even if it is just you!

Also, I'll have Part II out on Friday evening.

I echo Selzro's words, it's nice to see you pick up where you left off from.

And as per usual, you expand my vocabulary with your writing. I now know to call it a shako and not funny-historical-military-top-hat ;)

I just staggered off the plane after two weeks of business travel. Your post was a nice treat - skillfully done and beautifully descriptive without giving anything away. :)

We can conclude that whatever work these men are about, the disappearance of a few guards won't be enough to derail it.

A fascinating start and I love your writing style. The details you mention really build atmosphere and give your world a lot of texture. Congratulations. This is this week's showcased AAR (or will be as soon as I figure out how to edit the thread title!).

To All: Got hung up at the weekend with the forum upgrades and an important family event, but will be able to finish off Part II tonight.

comagoosie: Glad to be continuing the education! :D And very glad to have you back coma. :)

Director: Thanks very much D.! Nothing will stop the revolution! ;)

magritte2: Wow, I was really not expecting this. Thank you so much! Its great to have new readers too and I am glad you enjoy it. Hopefully I can keep that up. :)

LoftenHenderson: Happy to be mixing it up. A lot less Narratives around these days then there used to be, but so long as there are a few, its alright :) Glad you're enjoying it, and welcome to the merry band!