• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victor1234

Tabornagy
10 Badges
Jan 3, 2004
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
Here is a tool that was made by a friend of mine (tal). He's also a member of this forum (find him and spam his PM box!) but he's either too modest or too lazy to log in and share it with the rest of you. I like to think it's the modesty....

Anyways, here is a tool that will trim your savegames by removing dead characters, battle history, character histories and such. It was designed to work with EU:Rome with the 2.32c patch of Vae Victis, and the EPIGONI MOD, Version 2.01b. It should in theory work for other savegames using Vae Victis (unless the mod made some major changes to the savegame format...), but it is what it is. As an example, a 43.5mb savegame was trimmed to 9.7mb and worked as it was supposed to.

Here's the link for the download:

www.megaupload.com/?d=UAZN9680

I'll gladly try this and report back! Thanks!

Tried it very briefly with a savegame from Magna Terra under the 2.35 beta patch and it appears to work just fine. 48MB went down to 12 and it still loads at least :)

Will test it out more when I have time.

This is a great idea. I have tried it on a save game from the Magna Terra mod. I am afraid that there appear to be some issues with it. Because it deletes the country history it seems to mess with some information that is needed for game play:

1) Normally you cannot call an ally into a war if they have a ceasefire agreement with the opponent (if you try it will say "They are already at war with the same enemies"). For some reason when I run the trimmer on the save game file it then allows me to call in those allies that are still being held by ceasefire agreements and it also allows the AI nations to call in those allies. So that after running the trimmer I found that I was back at war with the various nations that I had only a few months back signed treaties with.

2) Another thing that I noticed is that my provinces that had been conquered by rebels immediately were converted into independent nations at the turn of the first month after using the trimmer. Normally the provinces have to be held by the rebels for a number of months before they would declare independence. So I am guessing the trimmer must have erased some vital information about how long those provinces had been held by rebels...

It may be that these 2 issues are restricted to the Magna Terra mod, but i doubt it as they seem to be quite fundamental game rules. I would say that it would be better if you could choose different options about what info to erase, for example if I could run it and specify to only delete character info and not nation info, neither of the two problems that I identified above would have come up.

On another totally different issue, the readme instructions are somewhat lacking. I had to install Java on my computer and I also had to add a path to the Java "bin" directory to the "Path" variable of the system variables to get the trimmer to work in the first place, instructions are here for anybody that has a similar issue:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml

Well, here's a new version he came up with. From the changelog:

2.0b1
-added GUI
-testing a fix to a problem where rebel controlled provinces default to
rebel ownership
-testing a fix to a problem where a country can call allies into a war
where they have a ceasefire agreement with the opponent

www.megaupload.com/?d=N9QOPJZE

Updated version doesn't work for me, it gets stuck on "Removing Battle History" (I think it was, I can't remember). I left it going all night just to be sure, it didn't move from there.

I clicked on the gamefront link and it said "The file you are looking for seems to be missing. Please contact an administrator if you feel this is an error." Even though the website seems to know the file name, size, date added etc. :(

Is it possible to re-upload? Thanks.

The trimmer took my file down 75%. I also had to set up a system path variable for java.exe to work, but that wasn't hard. I used it to try and fix a recurring crash on a certain date, sadly, it didn't fix that. At least it made my file more viewable for troubleshooting though.