• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is really good stuff! I've not played with minors too much in Hearts of Iron III, but you've got a very compelling AAR here.

I wonder how you plan to guard your ports. Since your manpower is extremely low, you'll need to use your regular forces. Would it be possible to declare a limited war against some remote country? That way you would be able enforce better laws....

How did Czechoslovakia conquer Albania without getting attacked by Italy? Albania is a puppet of Italy.

Nice job, but aren't you drawing Axis forces very thin? Hungary, Bulgaria, these are all usual Axis countries.

I'd at least keep Romania alive and kicking; you'll need the help!

...ah, I was thinking of HOI 2. Or maybe Darkest Hour.

This is really good stuff! I've not played with minors too much in Hearts of Iron III, but you've got a very compelling AAR here.

Thanks, I expect an update tomorrow!

I wonder how you plan to guard your ports. Since your manpower is extremely low, you'll need to use your regular forces. Would it be possible to declare a limited war against some remote country? That way you would be able enforce better laws....

It's an optiona, yes. I have a country in mind I declare war on before the World War breaks out. I can declare war on them a bit earlier, they wont attack me.

I hope to get some EXP Forces from Germany/Italy if we are at war together. Defending the ports will be hard in the beginning, but it has to be done...

How did Czechoslovakia conquer Albania without getting attacked by Italy? Albania is a puppet of Italy.

Nice job, but aren't you drawing Axis forces very thin? Hungary, Bulgaria, these are all usual Axis countries.

I'd at least keep Romania alive and kicking; you'll need the help!

Albania wasn't a puppet as you saw above.

It's a little gamble to take out some usefull Axis powers, but we have to if we want to be a major power too.

Last edited:
The Balkans is so very easy to conquer.

The Balkans is so very easy to conquer.

They are pretty easy to conquer yes. It is a very good region to increase IC, MP, LS and your resources. On the other hand, you have to defend more territory and with a small army like Czechoslovakia it is quite hard I think..

Very nice AAR feye1!

What are your goals now?

Thanks. I'm thinking of puppet or conquer Romania. Puppet will prevent me from a direct border with the Soviet Union, but Romania isn't really a buffer anymore if I puppet them. Puppet has the advantage I can use the Romanian Army. On the other hand I can use their IC and LS very good, so if I conquer them the only disadvantage is that I can't use their Army. I'm not sure what I will do, but I'll attack them anyway, because we need oil.

I also have some surprise for the war in the west...

Chapter 4: Oil, oil, oil.. Surprise!

Chapter 4: Oil, oil, oil.. Surprise!

In the previous chapter we managed to get the Balkans under our control. This gave us a great economical boost. Moreover it was good for the research (extra LS) and the manpower. On the other hand the Balkans gave us some ports that have to be defended against the BEF, as we expect they will try to invade in Yugoslavia or Greece.

As we are in the Axis, we need to search for a lot of oil, because Germany needs it in the war. We don’t expect that Romania joins the Axis, because they are flying in the direction of the Allies. We decide it is time to take Romania out and get their crucial oil fields. The amount of IC, MP and LS we can get for ourself, is also great for our warmachine. The disadvantage of annexing Romania, is that we get a direct border with the Soviet Union, but it is 'protected' by a river, so we must be able to hold the line.
On 22 November at 08.00 hours we declared war on Romania and try to beat them with the following plan. After one week of fighting we broke through their lines and advanced far into enemy territory. We take Cluj before the end of November and it looks like we are winning the Battle of Bucarest. On 5 December we won the Battle of Bucarest and lost 1170 soldiers. We took Ploiesti at the same time and the Romanian King, Carol II surrenders. We annex their territory and got their crucial oil fields plus the dangourous border with the Soviet Union. The production of crude oil is almost 35 a day now, thanks to Ploiesti and Bucarest.

GroteFoto-83LNMVTU.jpg

Czechoslovakia DoW Romania

GroteFoto-RMPXOSWF.jpg

Plan to beat them..

GroteFoto-JGWURWLW.jpg

Works out pretty well..

GroteFoto-IJHD3PRD.jpg

One week of fighting..

GroteFoto-ARB4MMEB.jpg

The Battle for Bucarest

GroteFoto-W46RUDGV.jpg

We won it and after it we also took Ploiesti

GroteFoto-GXPGVMOM.jpg

As they lost their main force in the western part of the country and we got their most important city, they surrenderd after two weeks of fighting.

GroteFoto-DXML7KTJ.jpg

Oil, oil, oil!

Now we dominate Eastern Europe, with exception of Poland and parts of the Soviet Union, we focus on Western Europe. Germany and Italy have a direct border with France, one of the majors of the Allies. France has a strong defense on the German border, called the Maginot line. Italy has to crush through some heavily defended mountain areas, so that won’t be easy too. The best way to beat France is to take them out by surprise and if possible via the Netherlands and Belgium, because suffer less casualties.

End of December 1938 some general had a great idea. What if we get our own border with France and hit them on the unprotected area’s? Should we take out Spain first? No, we had to defend a lot of ports then and.. it would take too long to beat them without German or Italian help.
We decided that there was only one real option left: Switzerland! The Swiss have some good fortification, so we could hold the line anyway against France. But.. the French don’t have protect their border with Switzerland. It would be a great opportunity to breakthrough via Switzerland and.. the Germans would get less casualties by invading France. Another big advantage is that we have one large border against France. The Allies will never hold out long!

On 1 January 1939 on 05.00 hours, we declared a limited war on Switzerland. We don’t invade them immediately, but already got some troops on their border. In the meanwhile we got two light cruisers via license from Germany, just like nine brigades of garrisons. The first armored brigades are almost ready and they will be useful if we invade France and later the Soviet Union. As you can see we have a pretty decent army now. We are the fourth power in the Axis and must be able to pass Italy on strength in the future.

GroteFoto-7IBYYGFT.jpg

Czechoslovakia DoW Switzerland

GroteFoto-LLVNKYVJ.jpg

Licenses and production

GroteFoto-G84VRWDP.jpg

As you can see, we have a decent army now..

In the beginning of May 1939 we start the invasion of Switzerland. After a week of fighting we got Zürich and some other provinces. In the south the Swiss hold for a while and won the battle for Filisur. After two weeks we got half of Switzerland and they retreat on almost all fronts, only in Filisur they hold on. In the first days of June we closed the pocket in the south and finally got Filisur. We got ca. 80/90% of the Swiss army surrounded there.
Slowly we took also the remaining parts of Switzerland and there were only some Swiss troops in Bern. We stationed our troops next to the French border and on 7 August 1939 we attacked the remaining troops in Bern. Five days later they surrendered and we annexed Switzerland.

GroteFoto-3BNF8TDQ.jpg

Start of the invasion

GroteFoto-GTMWVBQV.jpg

We pushing forward and took Zurich

GroteFoto-HLN8WREB.jpg

Swiss hold on in Filisur..

GroteFoto-LAHFTJNX.jpg

We keep advancing..

GroteFoto-SZJBHTJK.jpg

and closed the pocket.

GroteFoto-CH74ITBD.jpg

Attack on Bern..

GroteFoto-D4SUYRF8.jpg

Defeat of Switzerland

Next chapter:
In the next chapter we start the war against the Allies. Does our strategic to take out France via Switzerland work? Can we take some French territory and are we able to resist a possible attack of the British Expeditionary Force?

GroteFoto-I7GFGAPG.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea going via Switzerland, though I would expect the USA to join the Allies very soon. You need to watch out where Turkey is drifting politically.

It's surprising to see your manpower still at 0 although you delayed the war with Switzerland a full 5 months. You need to create a reserve there to replace losses. Once hositilities with the Allies break out, you'll get better laws again and in the lull between France and Russia, you should have a breather. Unless you plan to create more troops... in that case I'd advocate to rely more on support brigades than raw manpower.

What about the flow of events? I think there was no Munich and no first Vienna, so there would be no Memel, no Molotov-Ribbentrop-Pact and therefore no Danzig or war event. So Germany will
get a two front war with the Allies and the Soviets if they DOW Poland without firing events. By the way: Is Poland in the Allies? This fires normally after the first Vienna....?

Looks good, but your MP is stretched to the limit.

MP is a problem yes. I need some Exp. Forces to get a strong army and to create a reserve.

Good idea going via Switzerland, though I would expect the USA to join the Allies very soon. You need to watch out where Turkey is drifting politically.

It's surprising to see your manpower still at 0 although you delayed the war with Switzerland a full 5 months. You need to create a reserve there to replace losses. Once hositilities with the Allies break out, you'll get better laws again and in the lull between France and Russia, you should have a breather. Unless you plan to create more troops... in that case I'd advocate to rely more on support brigades than raw manpower.

I'm watching Turkey all the time. If they join Allies, we can hold them off easy, but it is important to get there on time.

The manpower is still that low, because we build some extra forces. I hope I can get enough reserves between the war against France and Soviet Union. I hope Germany will send me some Exp. Forces..

Hopefully USA will wait until 1941.. but I'm afraid too..

Interesting AAR.

I agree about the manpower, this could be a real problem when Barbarossa starts. Germany will be weaker to, as it doesnt have part of Czechoslovakia.

That's correct and that makes things more interesting.

What about the flow of events? I think there was no Munich and no first Vienna, so there would be no Memel, no Molotov-Ribbentrop-Pact and therefore no Danzig or war event. So Germany will
get a two front war with the Allies and the Soviets if they DOW Poland without firing events. By the way: Is Poland in the Allies? This fires normally after the first Vienna....?

Poland isn't in the Allies yet. I'm curious when Germany wil DoW Poland..

You really should ignore Poland for now and DoW France instead. With any luck, Poland will not join the Allies anytime soon. After France, Spain would be a good target. Closing Gibraltar would make things easier for Italy and you as well. Also, if Germany conquers Spain, it'd make up some of the resources which it didn't get because of the normal events.

You really should ignore Poland for now and DoW France instead. With any luck, Poland will not join the Allies anytime soon. After France, Spain would be a good target. Closing Gibraltar would make things easier for Italy and you as well. Also, if Germany conquers Spain, it'd make up some of the resources which it didn't get because of the normal events.

True, I was allready thinking of DoW Spain if we break through the French lines. Poland isn't something I care about now, but I'm curious what Germany will do.. :)

If Germany DoWs Poland, you should make sure not to answer their call to arms, otherwise Poland will also try to invade your territory... unless you intentionally want to lure Polish forces away from the main battles to speed the Germans up a little...

If Germany DoWs Poland, you should make sure not to answer their call to arms, otherwise Poland will also try to invade your territory... unless you intentionally want to lure Polish forces away from the main battles to speed the Germans up a little...

I'm not sure it will be a limited war, because if Germany DoW them, they join the Allies. They will join the war against me too, isn't it? (Faction vs Faction?)